“Great Value, Stunning Location and Incredible Food”
Review of Moorland Hotel

Moorland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wotter
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I am currently on my 5th stay at this hotel, which pretty much says it all, as I keep choosing to come back for more every time I need to work in the area. I've tried a couple of other hotels in town, but they come nowhere near in terms of value or convenience.

At the value end of the price range this hotel offers great service, pleasant rooms each with a different character, the views of the moors from the rear or the coast and Plymouth from the front are beautiful and each room has a slightly differing en-suite, I can easily forgive the slightly odd water saving showers, especially as I am working as an energy conservation advisor! There is also free WiFi access throughout, which is a necessity for my work and eans that the hotel definitely provides the best price for my work.

Then we move on tho the best part - the food, oh the food, the full English breakfast is sufficient to keep me going for a full day's work and the evening meals a incredible - a relatively small but wonderfully varied evening menu in the Phoenix Steak House, with local offerings plus a selection of interesting items such as kangaroo steak as well as a selection of the best steaks I have eaten in an English restaurant! its probably as well my boss limits my budget or I would need a gym built to work off the excesses.

What more can I say, I think this would be a great place to stay for business, for a couple for a family or friends, with all that Plymouth and Dartmoor have to offer

Room Tip: Working my way around the rooms, but the rear rooms have a lovely view over the moor, the front ones...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven B

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I always use tripadvisor and when I read the reviews on The Moorland Hotel I was unsure about what I would find when I got there, I didn't need to worry.
We pulled into a completely empty car park and looked up at the hotel, the balconied rooms looked great and would no doubt have great views, the three storie hotel sits near the top of a hill with the moors behind it.
We went in and was met by the cheery receptionist, we were shown to our room, I had booked the Wotter room, a must if you like your luxuries.
As we walked in we were surprised by the size of the room, separate lounge area with a large flat screen tv, super kingsize bed and a cavernous bathroom, the bathroom..... What a bathroom...... I'd booked the room after reading the reviews on here, a giant two person jacuzzi bath, beautiful !
And don't get me talking about the food, amazing, and what a varied menu.
The kangaroo steak is highly recommended.
We'd happily stay again.

Room Tip: The Wotter room is a must, ask for a room on the back of the hotel for a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at The Moorland Hotel last year. I do not think that The Moorland Hotel could be beaten for value for money. The wedding breakfast was delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were an absolute credit to the hotel and management. Nothing was to much trouble and they provided fantastic service all day. Our guests who stayed in the hotel all commented on the high quality of the rooms, the fantastic service and the delicious breakfast. Patty was very organised, approachable and hard working. She made sure that we had everything we wanted for the day. In summary I would not hesitate recommending this hotel for your wedding. Also I feel this hotel provides excellent value for money and is a fantastic place to stay for a break. They also have an amazing Steakhouse restaurant that we have visited on numerous occasions. The food has always been of fantastic quality and the staff are always polite, helpful and a credit to the hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed here as part of a living social deal so got two nights for a very good price. We used to live in Plymouth and were back visiting friends and family for a couple of days. The hotel does look a bit tired and so do the rooms but they were clean. The lady on reception was very friendly and welcoming so we were off to a good start.
It is a great location for visiting Plymouth, Dartmoor and surrounding areas. We did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on that but we did have breakfast on both mornings. The breakfast was nice although they only had one lady serving in the morning and she was very busy. The first morning we were standing waiting in the restaurant for a member of staff not knowing if the tables were allocated or what the procedure was for breakfast. We had to go off looking for the waitress in the end sticking our head in the kitchen and calling out for someone. We eventually got to sit down and order our breakfast to find they had run out of the special of smoked salmon which was a shame as that is what we wanted. The dining room was freezing cold, I sat there shivering through breakfast and the waitress was serving with a jumper and scarf on. We were sat next to a radiator which was off, think they should have put the heating on for breakfast.
The second morning was not much better, still freezing cold and still only one waitress so again we were kept waiting. It wasn't her fault they should have had at least 2 waitresses serving.
We were using the hotel as a base and for the price we paid I was overall happy with our stay, views are stunning, room was clean and the staff friendly just wish they would put the heating on and have more staff on in the mornings.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

A warm welcome, tasty food and lovely setting make this hotel very special. We stayed for two nights whilst looking at properties near Plymouth. The owners of the hotel were accommodating and friendly, even searching out books for my children to read during our stay. We stayed in the family room on the 2nd floor, with gorgeous views all the way to Plymouth and the sea. The room was tasteful, comfortable, and warm in spite of cold weather. We had planned to eat our evening meals in town, but the Phoenix Steakhouse Restaurant in the hotel served such nice meals at such great prices that we ate there both nights. Our children were charmed by Twiggy and Uhuru, the pony and horse in the hotel's paddock and by the sheep and wild ponies on the moor just over the road. We will be back.

Room Tip: While all the rooms probably have great views, those looking downhill will have a city and sea view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pbfEngland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Very pleased with our recent stay at the Moorland Hotel. The room was a little basic but clean and comfortable with fantastic views across the moors to Plymouth. Staff were very accommodating and gave a very warm welcome giving the hotel a real family run business feel where the owners really cared about what they were doing. Meals in the "Phoenix Steakhouse" restaurant were first class and excellent value for money - drink prices were reasonable considering it's a hotel and not a pub.
Would definitely stay there again - hopefully will get some better weather next time!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The hotel is in an amazing location and the views both during daylight hours and nat night are fabulous. You might be a little put off by the external appearance if you are used to staying in stately manor or modern hotels but don't be too quick to judge, once inside the welcome is extremely warm, the interior decor very chique and the bedrooms beatutifully appointed and fuirnished. The owners truly love what thye do and this comes through from the minute you walk into ther establishment. Add to this the fabulous rates and as a single traveller the upgrade to a twin bedded room it is one of the best value for money and pleasant stays i have had in all my years of travelling.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank JFHT
patriciadallas, Owner at Moorland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to write this review. The Staff and Owners work so hard to try to give our guests a lovely stay. It is so encouraging to know that our efforts are not lost, but appreciated. x

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wotter
Moorland Garden Hotel
#17 of 21 in Plymouth
Elfordleigh Hotel
Elfordleigh Hotel
#15 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to Moorland Hotel? Share your experiences!