All reviewslovely hotelreasonable pricerestaurant offersnothing is too much troubletennis courtsswimming poolhiking trailsmini golfsense of humouroff seasonhotel is locatedski resortandorra la vellacomabalconiesviewsoption
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have just spent a very happy fortnight at this hotel. All the staff were very professional, attentive, caring, good humoured and kind. I arrived tired and anxious as an elderly, single traveller in a country where I did not speak the language but returned refreshed, relaxed and with my morale much healed. The spa of human kindness is the best form of wellness treatment any hotel can offer and this hotel offers just that. Access to the village and to the countryside was easy and the grounds were remarkably spacious in a country in which the vertical is much more obvious than the horizontal.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The Hotel Coma is set off the road in a lovely situation. All of the staff are genuinely helpful and happy. Nothing is too much trouble-even when we had an early start home and the two of us were given a private breakfast before the dining room opened. Our postcards were stamped and picked up by post office staff from the hotel and all enquiries re bus and walking routes answered.

The room was very clean and the food good. We enjoyed our stay very much and would gladly give it the seal of approval to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angela R
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel is nice, and the food is pretty good (very rustic and tasty, and good portions) but it has 2 really annoying things. Firstly, the rooms are all smoking, and therefore smell quite strongly of stale cigarette smoke. Secondly, they played really loud cheesy 80s music from around 12pm to 11pm all through the hotel lobby, bar and on big speakers outside. This was horrible and I ended up pinned inside my room in the afternoon with the windows all closed to try and get some peace. It was almost 40 degrees C at times, so this was very unpleasant bearing in mind that the room didn't have aircon or a fan. Ordino is the nicer unspoilt part of andorra (if you are not a complete party animal anymore), but has very little to do and access to good mountain walking is limited from this location. The pool is quite small and is cold, which is fine by me, but tends to get a bit cramped for swimming later in the day when children are playing in the pool. The beer and wine sold by the hotel is nice and very reasonably priced. All in all it was a nice holiday, but I don't think I would revisit the coma or andorra again as it is better set up for apre ski partying than a relaxing couples break.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 17 August 2011

A small, family-run hotel the Coma has a swimming pool, tennis courts, childrens' play area, mini-golf and is comfortable and spacious. As Andorra has yet to invoke a smoking ban in hotels you do come across guests puffing away but, during our 7 nights, they were in the minority and, thankfully, not in the restaurant. All the rooms face the mountains but the seemingly prevalent tower cranes can distract from the views. The rooms themselves have plentiful storage, a decent bathroom (shower, bath, bidet and WC) but the mirror above the sink was so far away it made shaving a bit problematic (well it did for me but then I'm short-sighted). The flat-screen TV had a wide range of channels (mostly French or Spanish and only two English language ones, but that didn't matter really). The bed was a bit hard and came complete with hideous foam pillows but it was huge and could have slept three quite comfortably. That said the undersheet was a touch on the small side and after a night's tossing and turning you awoke to find yourselves invariably resting on the mattress. The room had small balcony with table and two chairs which was nice to use for a drink and a relax. The pool was a bit on the small side and had an accumulation of grit on the bottom in places that they could have removed more often than they did. It was accessed past a small derelict piece of land that was unbecoming the hotel but such was the haste to get there after a day's walking we didn't pay it much notice. Turning to the food it must be said that Andorran cuisine is not one of the world's best. Although a decent selection at dinner it was, at best, some rustic. That said it was substantial and tasty but could have done with being hotter: our dinners were warm at best and tepid at worst. As there is virtually no agriculture in Andorra fresh vegetables were a rarity and, when you did get vegetables, there usually weren't that many of them. The beans in my Catalan sausage and beans were clearly from a tin and my wife's starter of peas equally so. But the food was wholesome and filling even if it did lack style and finesse. The saving grace was the desserts which were all made (we thought) at the hotel, A decent and plentiful selection which compensated for the ever-so-slightly deficient mains. Breakfast was pretty similar: good selection and plenty of it. The hotel offered us a packed lunch one day. Having sampled it we declined their offers thereafter. The staff were welcoming and friendly (apart from a somewhat surly barman) and very helpful and couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel seems to do a thriving trade in wedding receptions which does mean that at weekends it can get a bit noisy, but they seem to finish about 11-ish and if you've worn yourself out walking there's no problem. So, in summary, a nice hotel with great staff and reasonable facilities. Food not as good as that in French hotels but better than in the other hotel we stayed at in Andorra (see my comments on the Princes Parc at Arinsal).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Not the newest or flashiest place, but curiously satisfying. I enjoyed my stay here very much. Ordino as a town is ideal - not too big, not too small - and the Hotel Coma is well-located near but not in the midst of things. It has an old world charm, albeit slightly faded. It feels like a hotel from a bygone day, before low cost airlines, when Europe drove to their holidays. And perhaps in summer they still do, but when I stayed - on the cusp of Spring - the Hotel Coma was delightful. Great service, wonderful views, clean & well-appointed rooms - what more can one ask for at the price?!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo