Hotel le Mirval
Le Prieure(Saint-Dalmas-de-Tende)
Castel du Roy(Breil-sur-Roya)
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Hotel Les Chamois(La Bollene Vesubie)
Very Good 4/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2013

we very much enjoyed our stay, also as part of a walking holiday, for three nights. Had a lovely front-facing room with a balcony and a good shower over the bath (although I do feel it is shame that hoteliers in France feel the need to "modernise" their rooms, somehow losing some of the old traditional feel of being in a French hotel.) The welcome could have been a little warmer on arrival we felt, but it did get better from there and we did a great day's excursion with Sebastien, the owner's son, in his jeep, and he was just such a great source of information. The waiting staff were wonderful. We thought the quality of the food was excellent, and whilst the breakfast was a little sparse, I do understand that this is how it is in France, but a little fruit would have been nice! also would be much better to serve it in the sunny restaurant at the front rather than in the curtained dark breakfast room! La Brigue itself is like going back in time, quaint narrow little lanes, and a very relaxed and rural feel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a walking holiday. The location of the hotel is lovely and has a lovely garden area to look out over the mountains and the river. For a two star hotel the rooms re spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The evening meals were great every night and the restaurant was always busy. Two minutes from the local square in a pretty little village. The breakfast reall was poor however. Nice bread and jam but my much more. On the second day we went along to the local shop which is open from 7.30 for some chocolate croissants and fruit and yoghurt. Would recommend this option if you have a long walk ahead. The staff were very helpful though and there was wifi connection in the downstairs lounge and intermittently in the bedrooms.very good for a two star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Le Brigue is a small town and it's fortunate to have such a pleasant hotel. The room was clean, not very large but not the tiny thing sometimes encountered in these places, the bathroom small but nice, and the service was fine. The in-house restaurant has quite decent food. If you order trout you can watch them scoop it out of a tank in the front courtyard.

They do put a plastic liner on the mattress, so unless you enjoy sweating at night you should remove it as we did.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ski4everx2
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We have been there for 3 nights and we loved it. The breakfast was very basic. Croissants and baguette. You could have some yoghurt, cerial and a sort of cake. But I missed fruit, cheese, eggs. Especially when you're planning a walk I need a more substantial breakfast. We had a lovely room at the front with a small balcony. After dinner it was lovely to sit there and enjoy the evening. There was a garden at the front, where you could sit in the shade or sunshine. The room was big enough for us. It's a pity we had a bath, because we couldn't properly shower. You had to sit, otherwise it would be a swimmingpool. It didn't bother us that there was only one 'machine' with shampoo/handwash/bathgel. You need to take up your luggage up the stairs because there is no elevator. Or perhaps they didn't show us. Staff is very friendly, although the waiter is a bit difficult to understand for us foreigners (he mumbles). We had our meals in the restaurant. Menu for € 19 was good and you had 'plat du jour'. Fresh fish. But we liked our stay and if you're looking for a friendly hotel with spotless rooms: this is the place!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tasduivel
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed at Le Mirval recently for four nights with demi-pension and can only add my agreement to the previous review. I like to stay at Logis de France properties whenever possible and Le Mirval is prototypical. The room was functional and clean. The owners, M and Mme Dellapiane, were ever helpful. Breakfast was a simple continental affair with a little yogurt thrown in. Dinner was a bit more elaborate with a varying "suggestion du jour" and the menu always offered fresh trout from the tank out front (highly recommended). The food was fresh, the quality was good,and there was enough variety to keep my interest for four nights.

The hotel itself is charming. It overlooks the Levanza river only a few feet away and you can hear the splashing of the river day and night. There is a little garden in front where you can take your apéritif.

One day I took an excursion to La Valée des Merveilles with the owners' son, Sebastian. I reviewed that separately and can highly recommend it.

Another day, I hiked from the hotel to Notre Dame des Fontaines with its 15th century frescoes via the Sentier d'interpretation (http://www.labrigue.fr/index.php?id=4568) returning via the quiet route beside the Levanza river. I stopped for lunch beside Le Pont du Coq, an unusual bridge featuring a right angle midway. By the way, the hotel packed me a picnic lunch which was terrific. Just let them know the night before.

I also hiked to Tende (2 hours) and to Saorge (5 hours), in each case returning to La Brigue via train. The train trip itself is fascinating and well worth exploring. The train travels through narrow and steep river valleys and, at two points, makes 360 degree turns inside tunnels in order to gain sufficient elevation.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo