“Terrible Location”
Review of Mabely Grand Hotel

Mabely Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kampi
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I feel this is a beautiful hotel however the location is terrible.
The staff were unable to help with car hire as nothing was available on the island for the dates we stayed (we understand this wasn't the hotels fault but they really were unhelpful in trying to help us find something) & the "shuttle bus included" was booked up for next 6 days which meant we were stuck at the hotel by the pool unless we paid for taxis... which the taxi company paid to come from the town to kampi then charge us wherever we went..
when we said to hotel ok, no worries will take a taxi to the places, the hotel reception, laughed in our face... was very rude of them when we had no other option!
we had the best stay in zante apart from this, so I would recommend that if you are staying her and purely only want to sit by a pool its perfect, if not, book else where.

the hotel lacked food options. the buffet was 25 euro a night.... very over priced I felt and not enough greek options.. to western...

the included breaky was very good value!

anyways overall, just wanted to say the hotel itself is lovely and clean and bathroom was spotless.. just the actual location is crap...

over and out...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Em_jane_10
There are newer reviews for Mabely Grand Hotel

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Room very big and clean, food excellent quality and variety.
I am disappointment from service and the strict rules.
Hotel spaces are perfect.
Only problem is the location is far from every activity or beach of the island, but in anyway this could not be such a problem because anyway must visit some places of the very beautiful zakynthos or Zante.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We have just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive at The Mabely Grand Hotel on Zakynthos. Overall we had a lovely holiday with lots of relaxation and wonderful food. There were however a few things which meant we could not rate this hotel as excellent.

First of all, I must say, speaking from experience, that if you book a '5 Star' hotel on a Greek island you have to expect that it will not be equal to a 5 star hotel in England or USA, as they almost never are. The inspection process they go through is completely different to that in the UK and other countries.

So back to the Mabely. We booked our holiday through an online holiday website not through a travel agent or tour operator. Looking at the price for the same holiday, provided by famous tour operators, we would have paid a considerable amount more. We booked a sharing pool room as we wanted something a bit special.

Everything went according to plan. The flight was fine and the transfers were very efficient (do not book through resort transfer website use a taxi company- it's much cheaper!). We arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning and we were greeted by a very polite young man. He then drove us down to own room in his own car, which was definitely above the call of duty.

Here are the positives:

*Beautiful location- right near a cliff. Very secluded and peaceful. You can see the most beautiful sunsets from the hotel.
*Beautiful lobby area- extremely grand comparable with many grand hotels in UK
*Fantastic food and drink- Variety was brilliant and you must go all inclusive. The desserts were amazing and there was plenty for children to choose from.
*Excellent service on the whole- In particular, Thomas and Helen in the Pool Bar, Athina in Bar Noire and Yiota at reception

Now for the not so positive points-

* The room- I can't deny that I was disappointed. The reasons for this were:
-The room was very plain and did not reflect the luxury of the main lobby area at all.
-It was very dusty- don't look under the bed!
-The DVD player had not connecting cable so could not be used
-The bedding was unbearably rough. So much so, my husband wore pyjamas the whole time.
-There was not really enough storage for 2 weeks worth of clothes for 3 people.
-The bathrobes and slippers promised on the website were non existent as were the sandals/ bag for the pool.

*The bathroom-
-Bit grimy around the edges
-The shower screen was too small so water went all over the floor
-The shower head was broken and fell off the wall whilst showering
-We had 3 days with no hot water then we had mixed successes the rest of the holiday. In fact on the last night it was so hot my husband could not get under it!
-Smelly drain which overflowed if you let the water from the bath go too quickly.

*The sun loungers at the bottom pool were very uncomfortable
*Too few parasols around the lower pool.
*The tiles around all the pools made the floor a slip hazard and very dangerous. Flip flips a must!
*Dangerous, uneven path from rooms in the lower block to the upper block.

As I said we had a lovely relaxing holiday, and with a few small tweaks this hotel could be fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building looked more elegant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank maxine c
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Me and my sister stayed here in June of this year, it was the perfect hideaway. We were picked up by the hotel from Zante Hotel which we fully recommend if you don't hire a car. When we checked in we were immediately informed that we were upgraded to a sea view. The room was spotless along with a great balcony over looking the sea and the second swimming pool. The food was amazing. Every evening we tried a different cocktail from the all inclusive range and my favourite had to be the angelo so worth a try. The staff was helpful at all times and made us feel like VIP's. Cannot say enough about our stay here and will definitely book again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fraulina
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had booked a deluxe double room and we were upgraded to junior suite ah the main building, facing the see. The room was big luxurious with two spaces, one with the kingsize bed and the other with a big sitting room. The room also had a cd player and a big sattelite tv. The room also has a terrace with an outstanding view on the upper pool. From there we saw all the sunsets where are the most beautiful in all the island (The Campi village where the hotel is located has the most beautiful sunset).
We didn't have an all inclusive package so i can tell only about the breakfast and about one time that we stayed for dinner. A big variety of all you can think in the breakfast so i think that you will be pleased form the quality and the people that will help you have an wonderful breakfast.
The surroundings of the hotel are really outstanding, with flowers Nice trees and nice paths to walk around. The hotel is new, although some details need urgent renovation as the public toilets (near the pools) and some of the paths need urgent fixing.
The pools are big, the upper one is big and more quiet than the other with the bar but both are very beautiful and recommended. It is obvious that the earlier you go to the pool the easier is to find a free umbrella and a quiet place. The only thing i didn't like is that the pools need more persons (waiters maybe and a person controlling the pool) in the upper pool is hard to find a person when need something.
What i can tell about the lobby of the hotel, is really 5 stars outstanding beautiful with luxury things inside and really huge.
In the evening you can sit near the pool and enjoy your drink or make a walk around the hotel. The bungalows with the private pools are not so nice as in others hotels so are not recommended,

Lest see what i didn't like, The pools need more persons as i already mentioned,
The bathroom in our room i wish it was a little bigger but not a big problem, and the biggest problem of all is that the hotel is located far way from the town near Shipwreck,
So you need a car for sure otherwise you will have to stay in a big luxurious but quiet 5 star hotel. You have children? Do not go there, you need relaxation and an outstanding romantic atmosphere ? This is your place... If are not booked take a look in the junior suites are really beautiful,

Cu soon, I hope,

Room Tip: If are not booked take a look in the junior suites are really beautiful, quite and big with a majest...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dionissis G
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This summer we were in dire need of rest and relaxation so my boyfriend and I decided to book a 5 star hotel and enjoy 5 star treatment and comfort. We found Mabely Grand through a travel agent and booked half board for one week but unfortunately it did not meet our expectations.
The first impression you get when you arrive at the Mabely Grand, is Grand indeed. The location is beautiful although really remote. The reception looks flashy and the bell boy takes your luggage to your room. So far so good.
Our good impression changed from the moment that we were shown to our room.
We were given a TINY room with outdated decoration. We didn't have enough space for our suitcases (just two small ones and a couple of beach bags!). There was no mini bar so nothing to drink. Every night we'd carry a bottle of water to our room ourselves. The bed & the pillows were very uncomfortable and the sheets were the roughest I've ever slept in. The smell that came out of the bathroom's plumbing was terrible and filled the whole room. The shower would also flood every day. For me the worst part of all though was that the rooms were not soundproof at all. I could even hear the guy next door snore at night. Not to mention the noise that came from flushing toilets and showers which was so loud that it woke us up every morning.
Hotel staff were almost all very friendly but apparently they were not given any training. The cleaning staff would only make the bed and would do absolutely nothing else. We had to complain three times for poor room keeping for it to slightly improve.
THE FOOD: food was just ok but nowhere near a 5 star hotel standard. Dinner was tolerable, breakfast was not good. Although we'd paid for half board, any drink -even water- was extra. We asked for espresso at the end of our dinner but they couldn't bring it to our table, we had to go to the bar and get it ourselves.
THE COMMUNAL AREAS: the swimming pools did not have enough parasols. The upper one seemed to be neglected too, the water seemed kind of dirty. The lower one was better and had a pool bar as well but there the sun beds were very uncomfortable.
INTERNET ACCESS: although Maybely Grand advertises free WiFi at communal areas, there wasn't any. I asked the reception about it and they told me that internet access is almost always faulty (!). No 3G reception at the hotel either so basically no Internet access for a week which to me was unacceptable.

In conclusion we paid for a 5 star hotel but in reality stayed in a 3 star one.
Would I recommend it? I would, if it presented itself for what it really is. It could make a nice 3 star hotel and win excellent reviews.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Tzio
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Myself and my partner spent a week all inclusive this month at the Grand Mabely hotel in Kampi. Fantastic holiday overall, we only had a few niggly points to mention.

First of all the positives...

* The location was fantastic for what we wanted... isolated, peaceful (out of this world sunsets as the hotel is so high in the mountains.)

* Food quality is the best that we have ever experienced abroad. We are confused by poor reviews of food, it was 5* quality, service in restaurant Lydia was 5* quality, you were treated like royalty from start to finish throughout your meal. There was show cooking, 3 different types of meat and fish every night, huge selection of luxurious desserts and ice cream every night, a different soup every night (delicious!!) The snacks during the day were just small finger foods, however, you were so full after breakfast and lunch you didn't want any more to eat before dinner!

* FANTASTIC sunloungers... lots of complaints on here about not being able to sunbathe on your front... there are 2 main pools to choose from - one pool (nearest to the main building) has four poster beds, hammocks, double reclining sun loungers, wicker sunloungers with hoods, single reclining sunbeds, every sort of choice! The second pool, where the pool bar is, has only wicker beds which cannot recline... but there are cushioned sofas where people moved with their towels to sunbathe. We actually had a room with a shared pool and chose to go to the main pool instead as the four poster beds were so so relaxing!

* Service - day staff were fantastic, Helena, Katerina, Thomas and the lady who runs the main bar during the day were brilliant - they go out of their way to provide good service - if they are not busy they come to the pool and take drinks orders from you and bring them to you without you having to move, what more could you ask for? The lady at reception was also brilliant - my partner currently suffers from nerve damage in both feet and walks with foot braces, having forgot one type of shop bought medication, she made sure someone drove into the nearest town to purchase it for him, we were so touched by the kindness and effort. She also managed to track down some superglue for him when he managed to break both pairs of sunglasses... no query is too big or small for her!

* I know it sounds stupid, but having stayed in other very warm hotels, the air con in this room was amazing... we actually woke up shivering most nights and had to turn it down, you appreciate it so much after a day of sunbathing!

* The range of drinks is incredible for all inclusive... also they are not local brands, you get the bacardis, teachers etc.. lots of cocktail choices!

Now for the negatives...

* ANIMATION TEAM - or lazy team! Every day I would wait at the poolside for the aqua aerobics, I saw it was on on day one and got all excited. They came to the pool at the time stated, set up the sound system, I got in the pool with another lady and they just unplugged and walked off and sat by the pool bar having a coffee. Then walked off....... a lady asked them if they were doing it and they said no there's not enough interest. The next few days they would just come down, avoid groups who wanted to do it, sit at the bar with coffee talking about how they are only there this summer to save up for their wedding......... annoying, lazy, couldn't be bothered, didn't once go round asking people if they wanted to join in. I went to reception (to the male receptionist) to ask why they never go through with it, he made an eye rolling phone call and told me they said there was no interest, that it's my own fault for not going and asking them to do it. I said I didn't think it was the way, for me to go and ask them to actually do their job?

* Not a disabled friendly hotel - in their defence, we had bought a shared pool room which is only at the very bottom of gravelly steps and the very far end, there was nothing they could have done (except for mention it on their website), but my partner did find coming back and forth a daily struggle. They did offer to pick him up in the golf buggy, but being very independent he did not ever ask.

* Negatives on service... the man who runs Bar Noire in the evenings was extremely rude to us one night. He was lovely beforehand, but after this night we could not get past it with him. On one of the evenings, we wanted to watch a film in comfort in our room rather than stand up in the lobby (busy night, no seats). We asked for 2 cocktails and a bottle of wine to go back to the room so my partner didn't have to struggle the stairs again and I didn't have to go alone... his reply was, in front of a large audience, "no, this Is a hotel not a supermarket!!" he continued to go on and on and on about how we pay for room charge to have it bought to us... embarrassing, wanted to ground to swallow me up. You would think he would have allowed it instead of telling a disabled person to walk all the way back up the stairs for more drinks.

* The bathroom wasn't the nicest... as people have mentioned, there is a horrible smell, and we actually had no hot water all week. This was mentioned (again to the unhelpful man at the front desk) who scribbled it on a post it note and obviously did nothing about it. The shower had the odd spurt of hot water, but it was a case of sitting on the side of the bath for 10 mins with your hand under the shower and making a quick jump in and shampooing while it was hot!

Some bits of advice for if you are looking to go!

* Don't have the taxi transfer from your travel company, they ask for £150 return. When you come out of the airport there is a huge taxi rank and they ask for 45euros one way. Or if you are on a day flight, if you email the hotel in advance, they will pick you up on a lovely bus for only 10euros each way!

* Take advantage of the hotel bus shuttle, people complain about the isolation of the hotel, but the bus shuttle is completely free to different towns. Make sure you book it in advance though as there are limited spaces. We took the bus to Port Vromi which is a lovely little pebble beach where you can hire kayaks, peddle boats, motor boats. We took a boat for 15 euros each to the shipwreck and blue caves - absolutely fantastic, such a bargain!!

* We were naïve and thought there would be money exchange at the hotel with it being so isolated. They told me this was not the case, but they arranged for me to go on a shuttle bus and the driver waited while I went to the cashpoint which was very kind!

* Make sure you go all inclusive. It seems a lot, we paid £1000 a piece, but you can't just pop out for food elsewhere so the money soon adds up.

* Spa is none existent really... there was a cold hot tub, the sauna is in the shower. You walk in the shower and it has a tiny door with a tiny seat for one, but it was out of order.

Don't be put off by the negative comments though... overall we thought it was amazing, the best holiday we have been to abroad, ever! We are not the type of people to go to the same place twice, but we, along with other people we met on the holiday, have said we would go again in a heartbeat because it is satisfaction guaranteed... you know you are going to have a brilliant holiday!

If the hotel wishes to make amends to any of the issues we had... feel free to offer reductions on our next stay, we won't mind that at all!!! ;-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LyndsWill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kampi
Xenos Kamara Beach
#9 of 51 in Tsilivi
Elegance Luxury Executive Suites
Elegance Luxury Executive Suites
#147 of 276 in Zakynthos

Been to Mabely Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!