“What a fantastic place to visit.”
Review of Port Light Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolberry
Port Light Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Bolberry B&B and Inns
“What a fantastic place to visit.”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Port Light Hotel is somewhere I would have no hesitation in recommending to anybody - particularly those with a four legged fury friend!

The welcome from Sean & Hazel is second to none - they go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and also give the freedom to make yourself at home with the facilities.

We opted for the B&B + dinner package....an option I would thoroughly recommend. The menu has a wide variety to choose from and the food is simply delicious. Just what you need after a day of enjoying the stunning surroundings.

A great time had - thanks to Sean & Hazel and the rest of the team.
M & L Lewin, West Sussex

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Lewin007

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
yeovil
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at The Portlight Hotel for three nights. We have stayed many times before, but not at this time of year.It was wonderful. We took our two dogs, who, as soon as they get out of the car and go through the gate seem to know where they are ,We as always received a very warm welcome by all the staff and we were very well looked after throughout our stay.. The food was fantastic...the lobster thermidor and lobster salad ...freshly caught ... just melt in your mouth. We cant wait for our next break..to meet old and new friends,visit neighbouring villages and walk along the South Devon coast.

Room Tip: All the rooms that we have stayed in are very comfortable
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mary p
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Although we have not stayed at this hotel I feel we should make people aware of their deposit policy.

As dog owners we were looking for a New Years break, that would enable us to go away with our dogs. The hotel we normally stay in was full, this is The Blue Ball Inn, near Lynton. This is a beautiful 16th Century Coaching Inn, which is VERY dog friendly, has fantastic Real Ales, wonderful food, and is only £80 per room, per night with a wonderful breakfast.

However we found Port Light Hotel on a web search, went straight to the Special Offers page, which covered New Year and Xmas Breaks, and found that they had a New Years Package, including Dinner Bed and Breakfast, the webpage stated that this was £395 and that they had two rooms left. We rang the hotel, unfortunately the landline goes unobtainable, and the mobile number goes to Voice Mail, so we left a message that we were interested and asking that they please ring us back.

The Owner called us on that evening at 20.00 hrs, we asked about the package, he told us that he indeed had two rooms available, so we gave our credit card details, and paid our £200 deposit.

On Saturday the confirmation paperwork arrived in the post, to our horror, it was not £395 BUT £395 per person......we immediately checked the website, the advert stated £395 with one room left, we could not understand why we were being told that it was per person, as we assumed wrongly we have now found that the rates are per person NOT per room. We rang the owners, and once again were unable to contact them, so we left a message asking for them to contact us as a matter of urgency.

He rang that evening, I explained our mistake, however he was rather less then helpful, eventually he stated that he would endeavour to re-let the room but that we had lost our £200. I stated that this was rather unfair, and that I would be writing up my experience on Trip Advisor, and contacting Trading Standards as his advert was misleading.

His rather curt reply was, "then we will see you in court"

In summary, we now have no New Years break to look forward to and £200 possibly more out of pocket due to an unreasonable Hotelier with an antiquated and unreasonable deposit policy, and a misleading Special Offers Webpage.

If you are looking for a Dog Friendly Hotel in Devon in a beautiful setting take a look at The Blue Ball, near Lynton, we have certainly learnt our lesson, and will book early next time to avoid disappointment.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank chrisay59
bbbdevon, Owner at Port Light Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
We respond to clarify the true facts regarding this booking: I myself spoke to the writers wife. I explained fully the cost, what it included and that we did not charge for pets. I also explained that as she was bringing 3 big dogs I was unsure whether to let her have the room as it was one of our smaller rooms and it would be very tight for space, and I
emphasised strongly that I was concerned, but she insisted that everything would be ok and she would be happy with a small room. This lengthy conversation may have
confused her and she did not pay attention to cost. She was surprised that we did not charge for pets. On completing the reservation I again confirmed the cost as this has been our procedure for the past 22 years. It is important that everyone knows what they are paying for. I explained that there was a £200 non refundable deposit (large than usual as it was New Year) Again she confirmed this was fine and gave me her card details. The confirmation was sent. A few days later the husband called me and was hostile from the outset. I could not understand why. He told me he could not afford the accommodation and tried to make out I told his wife it was a room rate and not per person. I explained that it was clear on our tariff sheet, terms and conditions and my conversation with his wife that the rate was per person. I explained that the deposit was non refundable and we had refused a group booking the previous day due to their booking. I explained that I had told his wife all the information and she appeared to have understood everything. He then threatened to put a review on Trip Advisor and report me to trading standards. At no point was court action mentioned as it was not an issue. There was nothing to go to Court for, so I feel this accusation is unfair, untrue and used to exaggerate the review. Although we do have a non refundable deposit policy in our Terms and conditions, we always try to re let the accommodation and on most occasions we do return the deposit. We did
return £100 to the customer although we did not re let the room due to the short notice towards New Year.
On sending him his refund receipt we did mention that it discredits Trip Advisor by using it as a threat. This is not what T.A should be used for. Like any reservation it is important to understand the conditions of making a reservation so that both parties are happy which results in a memorable holiday.
Worcester, UK
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary in September and wanted somewhere that we could take our three dogs. This place was very clean considering the amount of dogs that stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was large and there was plenty of room for the dogs to sleep on the floor. Breakfast was lovely and the owner even offered to make a bacon sandwich for my husband who was having a lie in. There are a few nice beaches around that allow dogs, however they are not very large but the dogs loved playing in the sea.

Unfortunately the only thing that let the holiday down was the weather. When we first arrived we drove onto the Downs and were engulfed in the clouds!

I would definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere to stay with your dogs.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Quidney
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We've stayed at the Port Light Hotel around half a dozen or so times over the past 3 years - each and every time ourselves and our dogs have enjoyed a pleasant and enjoyable stay. The rooms are good sized and we've stayed in a few - they have adequate facilities although could do with some upgrading. The beds aren't the most comfortable I've slept in but adequate. Sean and Hazel have always made us feel very welcome as have all the staff and the location of the Port Light is second to none for dog lovers. The food is consistently excellent and the portion sizes lovely and generous - we've never had to wait long for service and have enjoyed meeting the other guests who are consistently a lovely crowd - many of them repeat loyal visitors. I would say that the food is traditional - not trendy mean portions which is a rare treat and most welcome after a lovely long walk on the coastal paths. The general decor is quite tired and I'm sure Sean would agree which is exactly why they plan to upgrade the hotel subject to planning. We hope that their efforts are successful as it would be a desperate shame to lose such a fantastic place to get away from it all. Great value for money each and every time and the few improvements planned will only make a great place better - let's hope it doesn't go too upmarket or we'll worry about taking our dogs! One last point - we choose not to take our dogs with us into dinner - they wait quietly back in the room - many dog owners do dine with their dogs in the conservatory but the doggies always behave impeccably - much better than some humans! If you really can't stand the thought of the odd quietly behaved dog there are plenty of other places one can choose to go. For us sometimes people's kids create noise but we appreciate that everyone has to live in the world together! Highly recommended for laid back folk with furry friends!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Southwest77
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Spent two nights here on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. I hadn't read the reviews before now and I'm not at all surprised that the majority of them are very favourable. If you compare like-for-like for this category of hotel, this establishment proved to have been an excellent choice and ticks all the boxes for customer satisfaction as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Port Light sits in a beautiful location on Bolberry Down. We have been visiting since 2005 and have always enjoyed the warm welcome given by proprietors Sean and Hazel. Our Labrador, Brandy, unfortunately no longer with us, loved his walks on Bolberry Down and the surrounding area. Port Light is truly dog friendly!

The bedrooms are clean and comfortable. Some updating, which we believe is planned for later this year, would be welcome as would more comfy chairs in the room.

The dinner menu is honest and unpretentious and provides ample choice for a short break. Meals are made all the more enjoyable by efficient and friendly service. While the breakfast, which includes the best kippers I have ever tasted, is an unhurried meal with time to contemplate the activities for the day ahead.

All in all a hotel which commends itself to holiday makers seeking to enjoy a relaxing break with or without four legged friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolberry
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Port Light Hotel? Share your experiences!