“agree with all the positive reviews but”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Port Light Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bolberry
Port Light Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Bolberry B&B and Inns
London
“agree with all the positive reviews but”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

on returning from our walk one day, we found to our horror, that our spare room key was hanging on the landing key rack. This breached our security as our car keys, i-pad etc was in the room which we had locked before we went out. Obviously this was an error on the part of the cleaner but it could have been a disaster as the hotel is open to non-residents. We couldn't get to speak to the owners that day as they were extremely busy in the restaurant and we were leaving early the next morning. On our return home we e-mailed them to point our concerns but unfortunately they did not bother to reply.

bbbdevon, Owner at Port Light Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
This is the first I know about this problem and have not seen an email. We are never too busy to talk to a customer if there is a problem. For the past 24 years we have left the keys on the hotel key rack for customers. This is part of our way of knowing if customers are on site in the event of a fire. We have security camera on all the entrances but have not had an issue in 24 years. We have never been questioned about this previously. It is unfortunately that we have had to write about this on TA as this is a far worse breach of security!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Okay, so firstly I have to say that I am going to give as honest a review as I can and just hope the owners don't mind.

Secondly, I would like to point out that my husband and I are both 34 (not still in our youth, but certainly young enough to bring the average age of this place done by about half!). As such my review is aimed at people of a similar age (30-45). I should also mention that we have two welsh springer spaniels.

So let's start with the hotel itself. Our room was room 2 which, I understand, is one of the smaller rooms. It was plenty big enough for us. Clean, compact, nice shower en suite, tv and tea facilities. The main feature of this room though is the most AMAZING view! We had a huge window which over looked the cliffs, bigbury and burgh island - just stunning.

The small bar and restaurant were a little tired and dated. If I'm really honest, part of you will look at the potential of the place and want to scream. You'll sit in the restaurant and think, if only they painted that wooden cladding white to lighten the place, took down the dado rail, got rid of some of the stranger pics and most importantly the green velour seats and green paper napkins. But that is part of this places charm, yes it's aimed at a slightly older generation, but does that matter? I think if they made it 'trendy' it would be constantly packed and you'd lose the lovely peaceful place it is!

Okay I grant you some things are unforgivable - the coffee was the worst I've had for years; but I kind of like this place and imagine that if we had stayed longer I may well have fallen for the place. The location is just incredible.

The staff were all extremely nice and helpful. The lady who served us in the evening (I assume this was the owner) was able to work us out quite quickly and was funny and informal with us - just as we like.

The thing I really have to congratulate them for, though, is just how dog friendly they are. They have a doggy fridge, doggy towel rack, doggy water tap outside, etc. The dogs are allowed in the rooms, the bar and the restaurant!

My point is, don't be put off by this place or assume it's only for the grey pound, or you'll miss out on a lovely spot, great walks, a comfy room and very welcoming staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bubbaem
bbbdevon, Owner at Port Light Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We have now traded for 24 years and cannot scream for any extra potential as we work on 98% occupancy, due to our dedication to providing the best holidays for pets and their owners in the South West, We have won awards for this. We could do modern and trendy but our regular customers who come 3 or 4 times a year tell us not to change. I drink coffee all day and it is the best I have tasted. A blend of coffee and fig, totally yummy and we are praised by many that it is the best tasted!!? We are having our best season ever and are confident that are formula works for the majority!
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A great family holiday and our dog came too. We were all made very welcome and stayed in an excellent family room (room1) with amazing views through the bathroom skylight window! Very good breakfast each morning but the evening meals varied a bit in quality. Overall excellent value for money in a wonderful location with friendly hosts, we will definitely be back. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Probably the most dog friendly hotel on the planet. An excellent hotel in a splendid, although rather remote, location. On our recent stay we found that nearly every guest had brought a well behaved dog. There are plenty of fairly easy going walks with stunning views.
The food is excellent and the hotel, although old, is very clean and comfortable. One of our rooms was on the ground floor with a little fenced patio looking out onto the car park. The dogs enjoyed sitting out there watching the world go by.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ITM78
Rochester
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is our 1st visit to Port Light and we were pleasantly surprised how dog friendly the place was and how quick our springer spaniel settled down. Normally it takes him a couple of days to stop wandering aimlessly around the room. The hotel is dated but hey it`s old. Considering you have walkers and their dogs in and out all day, the hotel is clean and tidy, as were the rooms. We stayed in room 6, which had a stunning view, especially at sunset. Once we had got unpacked, it was time to explore, and that is what we did. We went straight out the gate and onto Bolberry Down, well Blaze the springer had more than a spring in his step, he didn`t know what direction to go 1st!!!!!!! When we returned to the hotel a well deserved drink was required, I pulled myself a pint (which I was quite proud of, didn`t waste a drop!!!!) and Blaze had a large bowl of water, then we parked ourselves in the garden and watched the world go by. The hotel runs a `honesty` bar so all I did was start my own tab. The food was very good and we were spoilt for choice. All the dogs that were in the restaurant were very well behaved, probably all to tired after being out all day. I would recommend this hotel because it`s worth recommending and we will be returning one day.

Room Tip: The stairs going up to the rooms are steep so if stairs are a problem for yourself or your dog stay...
1 Thank Newnard
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Have just spent two nights at this lovely hotel and its location. Second visit with our dogs.
So informal you cannot help but relax. Lots of lovely walks - Hope Cove is a must!
Hotel is so clean and the food is delicious - great for me - veggie!!
Recommend highly - the rooms are good, ground and first floor available, lots of parking too.

Room Tip: If large dogs, suggest a ground floor. Stairs are steep.
South East England
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here over the Easter break and had a lovely relaxing time. It was our first break with our 5 month old puppy so we were quite apprehensive as to if she would behave or be overwhelmed with the whole situation but our fears were unfounded. The hotel offers an informal efficiency which made us feel totally comfortable. Apart from looking after a full house with every room booked for the 4 day break the team looked after a very busy restaurant trade which did not take away their focus on us the residents. The dinner and breakfast menu offered a good choice and we enjoyed all our meals. The location is excellent and the sceanery stunning with amazing walks.
Being a first time puppy owner this was our first away weekend with her and we are so pleased that we chose this hotel. We enjoyed every minute.
Thanks to Sean and all the staff hopefully we will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank millymollymandy1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolberry
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Port Light Hotel? Share your experiences!