“Very kind”
Review of Red Lion

Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 1 Offley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Unfortunately, we had booked to stay but were called away due to a family crisis.

The room was clean and well appointed. The bathroom was upstairs. Very quaint. Reasonably priced. Village was lovely.

As we had checked in when we had to leave suddenly, we did not expect any discount or reduction but we thought it was very kind that only a reduced rate was charged. We hope to stay again properly one day.

Thanks so much

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatrionaG21

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Firstly book direct its £35 per night ....£45 through Late Rooms.
OK its not a five star hotel but its a reasonable double room in a converted barn at the back of a village pub. The room is comfortable, bed was very comfortable....bathroom was upstairs clean and modern but a piddlingly weak Triton shower.
Nice beer in pub ...though food is a bit limited.
Its a real shame they don't make an effort with breakfasts ....it would be better not to pretend to do breakfasts at all than just to offer a couple of packets of cereal and a carton of UHT milk plus a couple olf cartons of orange juice.

I'd certainly use it again but don't have high expectations.

One request .....the little fridge is so noisy when it starts up ....please remove it or replace!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Colin190759
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I just thought, after reading the rest of the reviews on this page, that I would give my opinion of the B&B rooms provided by the Red Lion pub in Great Offley.
My husband and I have stayed in the rooms here on many occasions, and each stay has been an enjoyable and comfortable one. We have never experienced a dirty or dusty room. The sheets have always been clean and fresh.
Granted, the breakfast could be a little more exciting. A single box of cereal, a few shots of milk and a juice carton to me, is not a continental breakfast.
They could also have more than one room with a double bed.
Other than these 2 points, the Red Lion offers a very handy and fairly priced over night stay.

We currently have another night booked there for September and we really can't wait!

2  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I attended a wedding last weekend just a 5 minute walk from the Red Lion with my girlfriend (the review below) and was shocked at just how bad my hotel room was! We both thought that it deserved two review, that's how unimpressed we was! The hotel consisted of just an out house at the back of the pub, the conditions were terrible. If the pub was really that bothered about us staying there then could of at least had a clean once in a while.......it was cobwebtastic! The misses was pretty scared of spiders and I literally had to keep one eye open all night, we came close to leaving at one point and sleeping on the floor of one of the guests rooms at the wedding venue.

It's a real shame because the idea that the red lion has is great but it really is terribly delivered and it's the worst hotel I've stayed in to be honest.

Well there is now a few reviews on here saying how bad it is, maybe people will realise that its not the best idea staying there in future. Wish I saw the other review before I booked it!!!!!

2  Thank Jack P
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My boyfiend and I stayed at the Red Lion hotel as we attended a wedding just a five minute walk away at Offley Place. We weren't expecting it to be a great hotel but I was disgusted when I walked into the room. The place only has one double room so we had two single beds which we pushed together. The duvet covers were slightly damp and there were cobwebs everywhere! My boyfriend had to kill several spiders in the bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom had mould everywhere (toilet, sink, shower) even though there were cleaning products on the window sill. The bathroom taps didn't work properly, instead they leaked as soon as you turn them on. The 'continental breakfast' consisted of just a few boxes of cereal and some of the small shots of milk in the fridge. We didn't think complaining would get us anywhere; besides the man who took payment didn't even ask how our stay was. We weren't expecting much considering the price but there is no harm in doing a bit of cleaning. I wouldn't stay there again and i'd pay a bit more money to sleep easier at night.

1  Thank Sophie P
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Rooms in building to rear of pub.
Fortunately the pub does not cause air handling noise to affect the rooms.
Its good to open the curtains and look out onto grassy fields.
The room could be cleaner as the toilet needs descaling and cobwebs removing from the shower room. I would prefer sheets to be white rather than brown as it gives some assurance of cleanliness.
The breakfast is an individual box of cereal and cartons of juice. The milk is kept cool in a small fridge which turns itself on and off during the night. Fortunately it did not leak when turned off.
Overall it is an asset which the proprietors appear not to care for as much as I think they should.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tranmere10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Offley
Firs Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North
Lord Lister Hotel
Lord Lister Hotel
#7 of 8 in Hitchin

Been to Red Lion? Share your experiences!