“Loved the Moevenpick Bangtao”

Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Bang Tao Beach
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We just returned from our holiday at the Moevenpick Bangtao Beach Phuket. What an amazing location and resort. The room we booked was a 2 bedroom Sea View Pool Suite. It was absolutely amazing. (See photos) We were a little nervous because we had stayed at 2 other resorts on the beaches of Thailand and this was the first booking in a busier area. The location was fantastic with several options for dining, thai massage and even some shopping.

The resort picked us up at the Phuket airport with a Mercedes sedan. It was a bit cramped for the 4 of us with our baggage but hey it's Thailand so go with it. They returned us to the airport upon departure in the van at the end of our stay.

Our rooms was great. The view is sort of the sea but more of the fence and the tops of the businesses located on the beach. Not great but not terrible. I think for safety being just off the beach by a street was actually quite nice. Especially with children. There was a secure access door to the beach which was gorgeous. The beach resort had excellent chairs and shade from the sun. The water is very clean and clear. Sandy bottom perfect for swimming but not for snorkeling as there is very little marine life near this stretch of beach.

We had our breakfast at the resort for the first 4 days as it was included in our rate. The other mornings we went to a great pastry place in town called "Bake." There is also a "Flame" connected to "Bake" for a great lunch. We read about "The Lotus" restaurant which was right next to the beach club and we frequented it 2 times a day. The food prices at the hotel were high as to be expected and no where near the quality or taste of the Lotus restaurant. Truthfully the Lotus had the best food and were very very friendly and accommodating to our sons peanut allergy. The mango sweet rice dessert has no equal.

We chartered a speed boat through Coral Seekers which was really fun for a day. In addition, I went diving with Sea Bees which was not that great. We did find an excellent taxi driver named Mr. Nhong. I will look for his info and add it later. He was very very kind and easy to get a hold of for last minute errands etc..

Our family loved the Moevenpick and look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank ckayjr

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Let me introduce myself to get a perspective of my review, I travel about 190 days on business trips, I am gold status in Shangri-La, Marriott and Le-Meridien, and this was ABSOLUTELY the WORST experience I have ever had in a hotel....

I paid for the Pool Suite for me and my parents to stay. Upon arrival, reception was poor, with staff seeming to not know what to do, no valet parking until I said "hey, is there valet parking here?". 3 of us arrived and they only served welcome drinks for two, without apologizing or bringing an extra one for the third person.

We were ripped off by charging us $135/night for an extra bed that didn't exists, as I had to sleep in the sofa. When I complained about this, I was given the the excuse that it was hotel policy. When I told them that the first night we were upgraded to a room that didn't have swimming pool and that I was woken up by constructions, they told me "oh, we can give you 10% discount on the bed fee". When asked to see the manager on duty (Mr. Mark), that has been in the previous to day asking "is everything ok, bla bla", I was told he was too busy and could not meet me. I felt absolutely ripped off paying $135 x 3 days.

There breakfast is cheap and of poor quality (even the orange juice dispenser gets stuck) and the breakfast room DOES NOT HAVE AIRCON, and it is VERY HOT, so this is another bad inconvenience.

The WC leaked, and was not fixed.

For 3 days .... I paid almost $2000, and was felt with a feeling that I will post negative reviews about this hotel in every possible site, plus I am doing a domain to showcase the kind of establishment this place is.

AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
22  Thank rmonleon
Reviewed 4 December 2011

This place was just excellent through and through. Friendly Thai service, modern large rooms, excellent pool area, close to the beach, everything you could want. We had a lovely 7 days in this place and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Nice almost new hotel, small, so only one good restaurant with Thai and International breakfast and dinner. Handycapped beware: 30 steps from the beach or from the car entry to the first level of rooms, and also steps if you use the escalator to the 2nd or 3rd floor. Anyway, a stylish fashioned small hotel, "Tsunami-safe", so such a lot of steps without handrails, which has big-big suites, with Bose-sound-system until the bedroom(s) and sound also in the main bathroom. The suites are so big that you have an own open kitchen even with oven, dishwasher, freezer - but no pots. Thus must to be gotten, so many families cooked for themselves in-room. Kind staff, friedly managment! We were happy to have been able to swin an hours per day in the Andama Sea, so no waves in our time, but obliously in other times, so the next-door Banyan-tree offers surfboards. What a pitty that the super more-than-40mts-long pool with LEDs on the ground which makes the pool shining like a sky in the night is disturbed by some few Rusian or Red-Chinese uneducated parents with their kids. You will find a lot of beach.rstaurants just in front, but must ride a bike or hire a car for to find a supermarket if you need drinks or foods less expensive than the hotel ones. go there if you want a quiet beach, and don't foget to visit Phang Nga Bay, or Bang La Road in Patong by night, such sexual and crowdy, also interesting for an older couple.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank masmiguelDusseldorf
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The 2 room apartment was big and nice. Neat and had plenty of room to move about. Stayed there for three nights and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the bose sound system which is connected to our mac. I emailed to enquire about buffet breakfast and was told that there wasnt one. Something that totally surprise me. This is the second time i stayed in a movenpick establishment so naturally I have very high expectation and was comparing it with the residences suite on Karon beach that i stayed in 2010. By far the nicest i have seen and was happy that it was near to convenient stalls , horse riding, elephant riding and was just a quick ride to nearby beach. Quiet and away from the buzz in patong. Downside, there should have more obvious road signs leading to Movenpick, it is a challenge finding it on the map and finding it the first time when i arrive. Also, i got charged for evian even though i did not touch anything in the fridge. They should have checked the fridge as the bottle of evian on the kitchen top is brought in from outside. After i explained the situation Movenpick, has waived the charges. A nice gesture.

Room Tip: I always choose before november 1st come. That is when the official high peak starts. You can always...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank XuanPing
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Breakfast(Buffet) - A
Very high class,unique, tasty, "boutique-like breakfast". Only downside is the price (670 THB per person which is quite expensive but very much worth the money) we only took it twice because of the price

Rooms - A+
new, well equipt, luxurourious, Huge, modern spaciouse rooms in a brand new hotel!! Amazing, also there is a fully equipt kitchen wi everything you need...even a freezer and dishwasher!

Beach - B+
a beautiful clean private beach 30 second walk from our front door (at the villa) , clean sun beds and towels, very quite and seclouded. The only thing Missing was the blue  water and thin white sand. The beach wasnt rocky or anything, but not "movie like" white beach. Also when we came here (october) the waves were high and there were very strong currents. All and all its a very good beach and i would recommand coming here for it. Also we had a baby elephant visiting the beach with his trained and we played with him for a while, would be amazing for adults and kids alike (if that happens again)

Pool Vila - B
The pool is really beautiful and the size is good. But the water were very cold. Even when we went in at 35 degrees (c') we had to go out pretty quick because we were freezing. I would expect a place like phuket with sudden rain days to have warmed pools so even if you have a rain day (and we did) you can do something wi yourself (its great being in the pool when its raining but only if e water are warm) ! Other then that , the room was more en perfect as i said earlier.

Spa and fintness center - B
The spa and fitness center is beauitufly decorated but the prices are way high and the fitness center wasnt open when we went there (jacuzzi wasnt working, sauna had to be warmed up, light were off) other then that the facilities are AMAZING! the Gym is huge and well equipt but again, the pool is very cold!

The spa as i said is beautiful and the treatments are interesting but wayyyyyy too expensive (and dose not include the taxes and service) so a 2400 THB massage (which is So much money for thailand) came out to be 2800! and we didnt even think these high prices wouldn׳t includ it all. My treatment (90 min oil massage was great, but i had better onse for 350THB in chang mai) so that was annoying.

Service - A+
everyone is soooo nice!!!
But room service is again-very expensive!!

Atmosphere - A
Very quite, no kids running around, lots of couples, beach is clean and so is everything else, very new well mainteined hotel, the manager is more then nice, speakes perfect english and greetted us when we checked in. I did find it wierd that the hotel was so empty...its either its very big that peopele dont get to see eachother , or it wasnt season, or ppl just dont come here (price, location etc.)

ALL and ALL : A
I love this hotel!! And if i have the money i will come here again, but with my boyfriend and not family, there isnt much to do with kids and its alot of relaxetion and in-villa staying because of the private pool, also i dont think kids would love the breakfest, and it is expensive. I wouldnt reccomend coming here thinkig you wont have to waste money cause you will , even the airport transportation was SO EXPENSIVE (1400THB) so we decided to take our own driver back the airport for 700THB, also the city is very far away so going there would also cost 700THB.

So!

Pros: Clean, beautiful, rooms, service, breakfest buffet, beach.

Cons: Far from the city, PRICES!!, cold pools.

My all and all score : A

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank LironAshkenazi
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This hotel is by far the neatest and cleanest and best designed we have seen anywhere in Thailand - and could match any in the world.
If you like well designed buildings where every detail has been considered, this is your place. It feel like the happy marriage between Swiss perfection and Thai relaxation and mood.

We had a two bedroom villa with a pool and it had absolutely everything. The features were all top class and heaps of extras like recessed lighting, Bose speakers, beautiful tiles etc. And the space was very generous. It felt like a house rather than a hotel.

The only issue was that the pool didn't have much of an outlook. because the pool units are on the ground level, they don't have a view and ours looked onto a boring wall. If you sit in the jacuzzi the view is beautiful however.

The main pool is very nice and never busy and next time I probably wouldn't pay the extra for a private pool.

We were there in low season and it was very quiet... a bit too quiet but very peaceful. Great place for a proper rest.

We enjoyed several meals at the Lotus restaurant on the beachfront right in front of the hotel... it is brilliant. Great atmosphere, good prices, great food.

We went into Chern Thalay (the nearest town) a few times too. Its a nice little town with lots of Western and Thai restaurants and quiet a lot of businesses established by expats. Only problem is that its difficult to get there. Its a bit too far to walk and the hotel does not provide a shuttle (We thought this was a real issue and think they should introduce a tuktuk that runs back and forth like with other hotels). The taxis charge up to 300 Baht for the short trip and it seems a rip off. There is a motorbike hire company next to the hotel and I regret that we didn't get a scooter.

If you go to Chern Thalay, try the BAKE house. It is a little haven of French/German perfection. We had our nails done at GLoss and they were really good too.

All in all a great holiday location

• Stayed: September 2011
#2 of 337 in Patong
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket? Share your experiences!