“It was just the little things that failed” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket

Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Bang Tao Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“It was just the little things that failed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012

We stayed here back in July, albeit I'm writing this a bit late, I think it is a place worth knowing about. We really enjoyed our stay at the Moevenpick Bangtao particularly the size and feel of our 2 bedroom suite. We were travelling with our teenage daughter and she appreciated her own room and bathroom. The main pool with its poolside bales looked so inviting we opted to book a villa without a private pool and that worked for us. We were also able to step outside and dine on the beach, or head down for a beachside massage. Unfortunately, we were unable to swim at the beach given the time of the year. There were just a couple of things that let the hotel down - firstly, although such a small item, I don't know why there was a "minibar" charge on milk - surely that could be complimentary - and secondly, although taxis were fairly easy to come by - it would be good if the Laguna shuttle came to the hotel - I understand this hotel is not part of the Laguna group, but surely something could be negotiated! It would make getting around the area so much easier. After our stay the hotel asked for our feedback and when I made these same suggestions I was disappointed that they seemd so ready to dismiss them. Having said that, we would definitely stay here again, and really recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

I took my two daughters here. It was perfect. We were treated like royalty. The staff were magnificent, the villas were spectacular. We had a two bedroom villa with private pool. There is a large fifty Meyer pool also in the resort. My girls were treated well and the staff could do nothing more to make this a wonderful Thai experience. We treated ourselves to a Thai Cooking Class which was run by the resort head chef. Magnificent.

Room Tip: Two bed suites with private pool are the way to go. Great value!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Luke01061968
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

If you're looking for spacious luxury villas in a private and beautiful environment, look no further. I and my family visit Phuket every year and had grown bored of the usual resorts near the crowded Patong and Karon beach. This resort is ideally located in Bangtao beach which is my humble opinion the best in Phuket for it's tranquility, white sands and clear ocean.

We stayed at a 3 bedroom penthouse suite and found it to to be extremely well appointed and well worth the money. The living room has an unsurpassed sense of space and comfort, while the fully equipped kitchen was a great plus for us who sometimes like cooking in the privacy of our villa. The food at the only restaurant at the resort was of very high quality and overall very flavoursome. The stars of the resort however, are the staff who delivered service the way it's supposed to be (Friendly, efficient, yet discreet). We will definitely return next year!

yet top of the line resort, look no further

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 48Jay_S48
In transit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Have been living, working and travelling in Asia for almost a decade, so have a decent point of reference for what qualifies as a 3/4/5 star here.We stayed in a 2 br pool villa (apartment) for 4 nights through a deal on wotif. The apartment itself was a great setup for us with a baby, as we could have a swim and putter around the apartment while baby had his afternoon nap. The facilities in the apartment are great - full kitchen with dishwasher, toaster, kettle, oven and hob but no microwave, which was unfortunate as we were sterilizing baby bottles and that would have been a great help (we ended up renting a sterilizer from Phuket Baby Rentals, who were great). Tons of space, but the finishes are fairly basic and decidedly 4 star so if you want luxe go next door to the Banyan Tree. The beds are comfortable but are the platform style where the corners of teh frame stick out far beyond the mattress - unfortunately the frame is he same color as the floor, so we were constantly banging our shins and came back covered in bruises.
The pool was mostly deserted, as a lot of the apartments have private pools and the beach is so close. The biggest disappointment was the breakfast buffet. Agree with previous reviews that both the setting and food were substandard. Seating options were the lobby (perspex glass roof and mostly closed in so very little breeze and no ceiling fans so super stuffy), the even more closed in breakfast room (also with no fans and no aircon), and a very small aircon room at the back that was usually full. The food looked a lot like leftovers from the night before, but covered the basics of breads, eggs cooked to order, curries, cheeses, fruit, but lots of flies and not sure how long a mayonnaise sandwich should be sitting out without anything to keep it cool...
Pros:
-Great location right next to Laguna complex, Lotus Restaurant and super quiet BangTao Beach
- Somewhat cheaper than a comparable 2br with pool and the Angsana, Banyan Tree or Dusit next door so great value provided you understand that what you're getting is a step lower, which doesn't matter much if you're really looking for that extra bedroom and private pool
- Nice, quiet pool
- Handy to the airport
- Friendly, adequate service

Cons:
- pretty poor breakfast buffet
- Beach Club is under renovation so no drink/towel service at the beach (which the other hotels all seem to have)
- 4 star finishes (if you care about that kind of thing)
- shin-killer platform beds - watch out!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MissThangInTransit
Mövenpick Resor... B, Executive Assistant Manager at Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Miss ThangIn Transit,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Mövenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket.

Although I appreciate your kind and encouraging words in regards to the set up of the room, overall facilities and service from our staff, I am very disappointed that these impressions did not extend to other experiences during your stay.

Each apartment within our resort features a truly state of the art kitchen with the latest technology from Siemens; unfortunately a microwave did not fall under this criterion. However, we would have been more than pleased to assist you, should you have brought this point forward during your stay with us.

It is unfortunate to read that you are using a less than positive review of our establishment to name, promote and encourage members to the location of another. Mövenpick Bangtao features a contemporary Thai design whereby all finishing touches are of high quality along with the best and most exclusive products used, it will be hard to find another resort on the island with such attention to detail. The mattress along with its platform surely is part of the design and I do apologize in any way if you and your family did experience a few unforgettable memories. There is a discreet ambient glow under the same platform, which makes it visible from the floor.

I am sorry that you found our breakfast buffet disappointing. Rest assured that each and every single item presented on the buffet is prepared on the same day and we manage to use only fresh products to ensure high quality. Furthermore, I do understand your concern regarding our sandwich corner, however please keep in mind that the sandwiches are being placed there solely upon request and made a la minute. In addition, your comments about restaurant fans will be taken into further consideration upon the improvement of our facility.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and serve you better in the near future. Until then please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any additional comments, questions or concerns as I will be eager to assist.

Kind regards,
Michael Wenk
Executive Assistant Manager
Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

During my last vacation to Phuket, I made the right choice to stay at Moevenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket as the food, the amenities and the service were outstanding. From the moment I checked in (in the comforts of my own room) till the time I checked out, the arrangements were flawless. In the middle of my stay there, the staff helped to arrange an island hopping tour for me, and though it rained, the staff anticipated my needs and packed a bag for me equipped with towels and umbrella and snacks. When I got back from my trip, my spa arrangements were already seen to, and I had the best 2 hour traditional spa massage of my life, at the Blossom Spa. I only like to eat Thai food when in Thailand, and the food served at The Palm Cuisine and Terrace was authentic and spicy - just the perfect balance of heat and flavours. I strongly recommend the Lap Mu!
Anyway, a terrific holiday, I was sad to leave! The Manager Michael was a helpful and kind fellow. He made all the arrangements work, and I had one of the nicest holidays at the Moevenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket ever. I would ask all my friends to stay here, if they got the chance!

Room Tip: I stayed at the Seaview Pool Suite with 2 bedrooms and it was an entire 216 sqm of expansive living...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

We booked the Movenpick Bang Tao Resort purely based on reviews on tripadvisor. We saw some amazing photos of the hotel taken by the Movenpick crew and lots of guest photos. And boy we were blown over.

We asked for a slightly early morning check in as our flight was landing at 0910 HRS and we were scheduled to check in after 2. We emailed the hotel and they were so prompt responding to emails. They told us we couldn't get a guaranteed early check in but they would try. When the hotel says we will try, they usually mean" no way". We had arranged transport from Phuket airport to the resort but our driver got lost because of the fact that this is a fairly new property and is not very well sign posted. In the hotel's defence the driver brought us through an entirely different route. When we did manage to reach the hotel, we were greeted by jasmine bracelets and fresh juice. We were immediately told that our room was ready and escorted there. The photos on the website do not do justice to the property!! Comforts galore. Excellent design and decor. Great Bose sound systems. Luxurious bedrooms. Extravagant bath facing the Laguna. Bedrooms and living rooms facing swimming pool. Very clean and well maintained.

Courteous staff always at your service. Always around when you need something especially near the pool area. Very helpful for arranging trips, baby sitter, taxi etc. They do call the taxi for you but you can bargain the rate with the driver. This hotel is far north of Patong and so away from patong night life but recently three beach clubs have started night club like places very close to the hotel. One in fact within walking distance. Very upmarket and chic places with DJ or live music. Don't stay here if you want the hustle and bustle of the busy Patong area. Stay here if you want a quiet relaxing holiday. Mind you, Patong is about 35 minutes drive by taxi costing about 450-500 Baht.

Amenities in hotel are very good. Free fast wifi was a boon. Never had to turn on data roaming. Hotel has a shortcut direct access gate to the beach which was great as they provide chairs, towels and drinks on the beach as well. The beach is good and you can walk up and down to access beach side restaurants from there.

The hotel has a good health club with sauna and steam and two jacuzzi's in each of the gents and ladies toilet/shower areas. Spa is well staffed and has reasonable deals on massages. Massages are of course cheaper outside.

Breakfast was free and buffet type. Quite elaborate spread of continental and Asian dishes. We enjoyed breakfasts. They offer good coffees but not exactly barista quality but made by a fully automatic coffee machine. Abundant variety of fresh juices and fruits in breakfast spread.

All in all would recommend it to anyone and would love to come back any day.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Vasqla
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

I couldn’t have asked for a better hotel to stay in while I visited Phuket. I was in love with the hotel, and wish I could have stayed longer. It was the most beautiful setting for a hotel, with views that just took your breath away. My photos are amazing and had made my friends very jealous.
My room had a sea view and I was able to wake up looking at the waves. It was a truly relaxing stay that just didn’t last long enough.
I had my breakfast every day at the Palm Cuisine Restaurant which was very nice. It is right by the lobby and the hotels infinity pool and great breakfast in the sun every day is right down my ally. I spent a lot of time by the pool and it was very relaxing. I enjoyed many cocktails while there and they have a happy hour every day which was just fab!
They offer a first class service throughout the whole stay and I truly felt like royalty there. Nothing was too much for the staff here.
The food and drink here is amazing and well priced as well. I never felt over charged for anything. However the staff can recommend some great places to go visit for a bit of a dance and they will call you a taxi to take you. My special regards to the Chef( Sascha) and the Restaurant Team.

There is so much to see and do, and the hotel staff goes out of their way to help you and suggest where you can go.
This hotel is pure luxury and the service is beyond amazing. I will be back soon :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank seinna t
Mövenpick Resor... B, Executive Assistant Manager at Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Seinna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback and for choosing Mövenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in Phuket.

We are pleased to read that your stay with us was pleasant and appreciate very much for your kind comments. We have forwarded your kind words to Chef sasch and team according to your mention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Phuket in the near future.

Kind regards,
Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket
#8 of 34 in Choeng Thale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,651 reviews
Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Movenpick Resort Bangtao Beach Phuket? Share your experiences!