“Fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
Exeter
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were up from Devon for a family 80th birthday and my father booked 3 rooms for the seven of us. On their arrival my Father, who has mobility issues, explained that as there was no lift the room he had been given would be a problem and immediately they were upgraded to a ground floor room, no fuss made at all! Our rooms on the first floor were lovely and even though we didnt ask for them to be cleaned we had a bag left outside replenishing our teas, coffes etc. The breakfast was fantastic probably too much choice if anything, my 9 year old took an age deciding between croissants or "make your own pancakes". We ate in the restaurant on the Friday evening and, as with every other aspect of the stay, the service was wonderful. Would I recommend it? Yes I would infact I wish there were more places in our area that gave this high level of service!

Room Tip: There are no lifts, bear that in mind when booking.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We came to Colchester for a birthday party and chose this hotel for it's vicinity. We have used Holiday Inns before but this is the best so far. The welcome of the desk staff, who were under pressure at the time, was faultless. The room was very clean and had all the facilities that you would expect.

The one negative comment would be breakfast time. I think the hotel was nearing capacity and at peak breakfast time there were not enough staff to cope. Queued for a good 5 minutes waiting to be seated. The table was quickly wiped. More juice had to be fetched, glasses had run out, fruit had run out, even hot plates had run out. On a chilled Sunday it didn't matter to me but if you were in a hurry it would have been annoying.

That said, would I come back and recommend? Yes

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a brilliant stay at this hotel over the weekend. On check in the staff were brilliant with us explaining where to go on our night out aswell as the hotel facilities. The room was large and spotless. We made our way to the bar had a drink, quite impressed the hotel has a starbucks in it unfortunatly the coffee wasnt that great as staff were unsure of how to make it. the health club was brilliant and staff very polite and welcoming. a very good stay at the hotel thanks to the staff will be returning again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stay at the holiday inn colchester on a weekly basis and the hotel staff are always very welcoming. They try and ensure that everything is as comfortable as possible. After a long drive they always have a complementary glass of wine on arrival, they know which room I prefer (end of the corridor I am an early night person and you can sometimes hear people walking past your room). The housekeepers are lovely they noticed that each time I stay I bring my own pillow as I have a bad back they asked which type this was and now they have these in my room each time I go. My only complaint I have had is in the restaurant I have food allergies and I have had some reactions, the hotel manager really has tried everything to ensure this no longer happens and has now created a menu that is safe for me.

Overall the service they provide is great.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am going to begin by saying that I have stayed in several Holiday Inns but I have never experienced such excellent customer service. I was warmly welcomed with a complimentary drink and was helped to my room. At breakfast I was taken to a table and shown all the breakfast areas. All the cleaning staff wished me a good morning. Really superb staff! Room was as one would expect at a Holiday Inn; clean, well ordered and a good size. Good communal areas and up to date decor. The only issue (and I recognise this is not the hotel's fault, but it should be taken into account in a review) is that the railway runs right by the hotel and the trains do run late into the evening and you can hear the trains rumbling past. Also my sat nav took me to the next street along and it was late at night so I got a bit lost so do your homework before you go there because sat navs might get you to the wrong place - "You have reached your destination." "Have I?!" All in all a really good place to stay if working in Colchester, comfy, out of the city and yet still close, wonderful staff. Well doen Holiday Inn, Colchester. See you again soon hopefully.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above room 129 to be away from the railway.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Firstly, the hotel front desk girls were really friendly and even had a few cheeky jokes with me during check in. I love a bit of personality rather than the usual "Evening sir" YAWN. These girls were fun.
I tried to blah a room upgrade which didn't work but they even made a joke of that which I took on the chin.
Some positives
-Food - This place has to be the best restaurant at a hotel I've ever eaten at. I ordered the steak expecting something hotel standard. I was massively surprised to have this Michelin star standard dish served. I may or may not have gads the same dish on my second night ;-)
-Staff - As mentioned everyone I spoke to had a bit of life and personality
-Comfy beds and big rooms to get office work done and spread out a bit
-Decent gym running machines
-The bar and restaurant accept the 'Taste Card' which gives 50% off food. Huge savings there for me.
-Nice cider on tap at the bar
-Nice breakfast, decent poached eggs, good cereal selection and loads of fruit to take with you for that 10:30 AM break at work

Some negatives
-The gym pool needs a good tile scrub and the floor in the changing rooms is brown with body fat. This can be easily fixed guys, tut tut.
-The gym stepped was out of order for both of my nights stay and I like to use this in my week routine. bit disappointed in that, especially seen as I ate a huge steak after!
-The hair, The iron and ironing boards are all crap and useless.

Would I stay here again? 100% and I wouldn't look for any other hotels, just this one.

Geneva New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Colchester through hotels.com believing that the hotel was actually located in Colchester on Abbots Lane just off of the A12 .

On arrival at the Holiday inn in Colchester however, we discovered that the Holiday Inn Express was actually 13 miles away in Langley which is not in Colchester. The Holiday Inn in Colchester (This hotel) experience this problem all the time where guests think they have reserved this hotel and in fact they have reserved the the Holiday Inn Express many miles away. This is because of the misleading advertising on these other online booking sites.

To be fair, after a heated argument with hotels.com they did Finally refund me the rental amount for the Holiday Inn Express!

The receptionist at the Holiday Inn in Colchester went out of her way to make my wife and I feel welcome. offered us an exceptional discounted rate for two nights and took care of our every need. They did not have to have done this for us. The hotel is really nice. The rooms are comfortable and the hotel has a fully equipped gym, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub (Jacuzzi), restaurant and bar. I can only speak highly of my experience with this hotel and have already booked a second stay in a couple of weeks time. Thank you to everybody at the hotel who made our stay such a menorable one.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!