“My daughters birthday treat”

Holiday Inn Colchester
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We have been to this holiday inn many times in the past and have always had a fantastic time. My daughter loves the way we can just walk down the hall to the pool and loves all the choice at breakfast. The staff are all very friendly especially the breakfast chef who is always happy to help. The only down side is the wait for drinks at the bar as sometimes it seams it's left unmanned.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Would have loved to have been able to write this review after my family had used the hotel for my mother in laws 90th birthday party. But although I went to the hotel myself (I live near by) no one was available to speak to me regarding the possibility of booking this family occasion. I was asked to leave my contact phone number with the person on reception, which I did also giving a brief outline of my request. Two weeks later and I am still waiting for that elusive phone call. Obviously this kind of booking is not what the hotel are looking for. Shame as some of the family were intending to stay at the hotel as they will be travelling from afar with their families. So my rating of terrible is purely based on the lack of a two minute phone call.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Ann H,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while visiting our hotel. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Overall this holiday inn met our needs, but nothing special!
Room was quite good and quiet.
We had booked the hotel months before as we were going to a wedding and we asked for a check in an hour ahead of the normal time so that we could get to the wedding in time. We rang up a few days before to still check that we could check in early still and a helpful young man told us to ring up after 12 noon on the day of our arrival and it would be sorted out. We did that only to be told by the female receptionist that she could not get us our room early, but as soon as we mentioned that we wanted to speak to the manager she could suddenly sort it out! A totally wrong attitude, particularly as she did sort it out. Why do you always have to threaten to ask for a manager to get things done. To holiday inn management I would say empower your teams and make sure they have an attitude of how I can help,a guest rather than
There is free wifi for IHG CLUB members so If not a member join the rewards club before you arrive even if only to get the free wifi.
Breakfast was adequate and nicely served by a young Eastern European girl. As for the other staff there was no eye contact or a good morning greeting even from the restaurant management at breakfast or from cleaning staff , although one did offer me help with my case and another did say goodbye but still with no eye contact
Fitness centre was good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear RolandPJ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am happy to know that you found our rooms to be good and comfortable and you enjoyed your experience at our fitness center. I regret however if the level of service received did not completely meet your standards. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve on what we can offer.

Best Regards,

Pam G

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night whilst visiting friends in Colchester. The rooms are a good size, beds comfortable, shower was good, the staff are friendly and the breakfast was very good with a varied selection. We would definitely stay again...

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Before I start, it is hugely important to mention that I did complain at Reception and my views were listened to. The person in charge offered us a 50% discount, which I accepted. This is why my rating is "average" rather than "poor" since the staff did make the effort to compensate us.

My complaints were simple and about the basics: the bed was very uncomfortable - an ancient mattress. Also, the shower was broken and I had to wash my hair in the bath. Hence the complaint, which as I say they responded to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear EmmaWilliams999,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with our amenities. Though this matter has been resolved in a timely manner, I regret this has negatively impacted your stay with us. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is now one of many in the "Holiday Inn" franchise portfolio on sale.
Nevertheless, not presently an issue for guests.
Run and manned by IHG.
Staff who are mainly local people are outstanding.

You need a car or taxi because it's close to Stanway A12 junction and 10 minutes' drive into town.
No regular bus service.

Stayed this week for 3 nights.
Two rooms arranged for family.

One of our party has a temporary leg injury and arrived independently.
Male manager at reception immediately, by himself, carried luggage to the guest room and was very helpful.
Excellent service which is worthy of a 5* review.

The restaurant has an excellent breakfast and you can request eggs cooked to order at the range from the duty chef.
It is excellent value and you can eat leisurely with a hearty appetite.
Suggest you stay with the breakfast inclusive price. Sets you up for the day!
(A Sainsbury's mega-store and cafe in the retail park on the other side of the A12 also offers breakfast.)
Holiday Inn is far better for food choice and cost!

Dinner meals varied a lot in quality. Catpac, but kitchen staff?

Never had any problems with traffic or rail noise.

Good free parking and pool/gym.

WiFi and Freeview TV? Not the best. New owners challenges?

Brilliant value in comparison with other local brands/B&Bs for town visit.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the wedding function suite if booked.