“Secrets Silversands Cancun”

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Secrets Silversands Cancun”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is by far the best all inclusive that I have ever stayed at.

It's hard to begin so I will chronologically walk through my experiance.

Check in was quick and problem free. The bell-boy took our luggage and we were off to our room. We settled in quickly and were off the the pool. Before I could set my towell down a waitress came over and asked what we were drinking. The pools were clean and not too crowded. The Infinity Pool is the best to relax at since there is no swim up bar. It stays mostly quiet and you have a great view of the ocean.

The restaurants are clean and have great food. We found the Pan-Asian and Mexican restaurants to be the best. Dinner goes pretty late and you can get seated up till 10:30 PM. The breakfast is buffet style, but there is a waffle and omelette bar. Lunch is what it is, but most likely you will be by the pool, so you really shouldn't expect 4 stars here.

The rooms are clean and the mini-bar is well stocked with Beer, Water and assorted soft drinks. They will refill daily, so indulge, remember you are on vacation. We had a king size bed, with a view overlooking the ocean. There is a walk in "rain" shower and a jacuzzi in the room. Some rooms have a hot tub on their balcony, but we were not one of them.

There is a TV, if that is what you go on vacation for, but no real need to review that. I will say Ch 14 can get real interesting at night though.....

The entertainment is great. It usually starts around 10-ish and goes till roughly 2am. Assorted cover bands come on later and they were really good.

The inside show usually starts at 8-ish. There was a circus, American night (dancers), etc.

All in all, Secrets really goes out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay and trust me you will enjoy your stay.

We will be back in the near future.

*****, A+ Resort

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Al B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,115)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I recently got married on the 12th of August 2011 and the wife and I came here to celebrate our honeymoon. This was our first time in Mexico. We stayed from August 19th through the 26th, a full week. When you arrive to the resort's location, you will notice that the trail is surrounded by mangroves and you have to pass by 2 security checkpoints. The driver is asked where they're going, what they're going there for, and what their name is, and the license plate is written down. So you can trust that no one is allowed in if they have no business being there. When we arrived, we were greeted with wet towels (to clean our hands) and a glass of champagne. The bellhop took our bags and check-in was very fast. We were taken to our room and to my surprise, the front door had a banner that stated that we were honeymooners (Which was a nice touch). Our bed had red rose pedals in the shape of a heart and our mini bar had a champagne bottle waiting for us. I don't want to drag this out, so I'll just tell you the Pros and Cons of our experience.

Pros:
1. The service - We've never been treated with so much kindness and respect in a resort before. Every time that I would order room service or needed anything, they would always say "It was my pleasure serving you, Mr. Aguilar." Everyone from the bartenders to the servers around the pools seem genuinely happy.

2. The drinks and the bartenders - They had all of the drinks that you can imagine. I think they had 5 bars throughout the resort. The Riviera Maya was my cocktail of choice. The bartenders are very kind and are actually happy working there. Shout out to Raul, he was genuinely interested in getting to know us and hooked us up with some Mexican candy.

3. The Ambience - Although this is an all-adults resort, it mostly caters to couples. I saw some single people and families, but I would feel uncomfortable and lonely if I came here by myself or with family.

4. The Food - We had an opportunity to eat at all the restaurants and took advantage of the 24-hour room service. The portions for the food were small, but we always had 3 course meals, and if we were still hungry, we always got room service. I'm not a picky person and had no complaints about the food. It was all delicious.

5. The Activities & Shows - The resort has a dedicated staff of about 7 people (that I remember seeing) that plan activities and games such as dancing classes, water aerobics, yoga; poker games, Mexican lottery....etc. These same people help out and host the nightly shows. I seriously think that they live at the resort because I've seen them early in the morning and staying late at night. The highlight show of our trip was when they had a circus. The strong men were awesome.

Cons:

1. The Beach - As you have heard from other reviews, the beach isn't all that great. To be fair though, it does appear that the resort heads have listened and are doing their best to clean it up everyday. I remember seeing guys out in the water picking up rocks that were washed up on the shore. They were also cleaning up the seaweed all day everyday. But you have to understand that what washes up at the beach is not something that is in their control.

2. Some Flooding - There were on 2 occasions that it was raining hard during our stay. Since the doors are not completely sealed from the bottom, (that's where they pass out the activity sheet for the following day) water was seeping into our room. We put towels to seal it, but it was an inconvenience. It wasn't as inconvenient as it was in the shower. The bathroom is beautiful, but when you shower there's no door in between the shower and the sink. The water from the shower seeps out in to all of the bathroom and it can get dangerous if someone slips and falls and breaks something. (that would mess up anyone's vacation) The resort needs to at least have an elevated area to have the water fall in the drain and not spread everywhere. We used towels to seal that as well.

3. Some Receptionists & Concierge People - For the most part, everyone was nice and kind, but some of the receptionists and concierge people were rude (the female ones). For instance, we would go to concierge to get an internet access code and we would wait and come to find out that the concierge was gossiping with the receptionist the whole time we were waiting, after they were done is when she would ask if we needed help. What kind of concierge does that? Another time was when we were trying to get an internet access code and the lady was more focused on getting us to go to a tour for a travel club presentation. I understand that you get paid commission for it, but don't act so desperate for it. I wasn't fond of the receptionists. It seemed to me that they were nice to you during check-in, but after that, it was like they were faking it.

In summary, I would recommend going to this resort to anyone. Apart from some of the minor inconvenience and fake people, the genuine, kind people made our experience an excellent one. This was definitely a memorable honeymoon to say the least.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Apologist4theWord
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2011

After having spent 2 weeks at Secret Silversands i can honestly say i cannot fault it one bit! The hotel and amenities were excellent- rooms were fantastic, king size bed, double sinks, rain shower.
the staff at the hotel cannot do enough for you- they are helpful, pleasant and friendly. Amanda and Felipe are brilliant in particular during the daytime, and Alex at night in the main bar. Cannot give enough credit to Cruz, Sally and Jorge on sports/entertainment- they are all AMAZING!!
Food was also very very good- especially Bordeaux, the Japanese one, Seaside Grill, Ratatouille...well in fact all of them!
If you are wanting to go into Cancun it will cost 400 pesos each way- about a 35 min journey. We went to Cancun to visit Coco Bongos which was brilliant!
We would most definitley go back to Secret Silversands- the most relaxing 2 weeks ever!
One thing i would say is to take insect repellent!!!! Mosquitos are horrid!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank leanne c
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Let me start off by saying that I am very high maintenance and picky about accomodations, food, linens, etc. I researched this trip for about 3 months before settling on Silversands. I must say overall I was very satisfied with the experience.

Rooms:

Fantastic accomodations, comfortable bed, rain shower, double sink, beautiful balcony with comfy sofa.......amazing.

Staff:

If I took the entire staff and and brought them to my business in Toronto, my dealership would win every award for customer service. These people were amazing, genuinely happy and trying their best to accomodate you and enjoying every minute of it. Special BIG UPS to CRUZ (entertainment staff), he was amazing!

Beach:

Ya its not great.......the water is filled with weeds and is rocky. But I don't know what people are talking about when they say there was a full time medic on the volleyball court because people were always injured with rocks. I played twice and there was ZERO issues! Lying by the beach is just fine.

Restaurants:

I am 1000% a food snob. Live in Toronto and eat at the best restaurants we have to offer. I would rate the food 6.5-7/10. French restaurant was very good. I did not like the Asian or the Italian. The service and the ambience however was excellent. Buffet breakfast and room service (24 hours) did the job!
For lunch I would definitely suggest the seafood grille........very impressive!

Honestly if you don't like this place..........you're an idiot!

oh and ps, the fitness centre exceeded expectations!

Room Tip: I was in section 3 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank bigshooter1
Hudson, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Don't bother with all the negative reviews you might see on the web regarding this resort.
The food was fantastic period........ All the staff were very helpful throughout our stay the gulf view rooms are fantastic but I would not bother with the preferred club as you get everything anyway. Book a ride from the airport before you go so you do not have to deal with the hassle at the Airport and we took a bunch of $1 bills for tips to reward those who went above and beyond. the only negative is the beach is very small and windy at night. The place is very clean and the infinity pool was very quiet .. I like the no kids ! August was very quiet with only 40% occupancy so no waits for food or drinks and the pools were empty.

Room Tip: Get a Gulf view it was great watching the sun go down
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bowkerfamily
Tampa
Reviewed 8 September 2011

The resort overall was nice but showing some wear and tear. Not a bad beach lots of seeweed and rocks in water but you really dont need to swim in the ocean the saltwater pools are right near the beach. tWe had booked an Anniversayr package and did not get our complimentary drinks, fruit or spa credits upon arrival. Our room had no air and afte three hours of calling we finally had to go see the manger who moved our room that had an odor and was next to the generator plant. The next day we were then upgraded to a preferrred room and promised a bottle of sparkiling wine, needless to say it never arrived even after a couple of days of asking for it. The resturants were good especially Bordeaux great staff! We had signed up for a beach dinner which was cancelled due to weather wich is understandable but when I asked if we could have it in another inside location of the resort I was told no. This was upsetting since it was our anniversary and my birthday, the management did not go out of their way to make us feel special. We chose this resort based on its looks and reviews I would not go back again we have been to others in the area that are far superior to Secrets Silversands. But I have to say if you love to party and don't give a crap about service or others go there you will fit right in.

Room Tip: Book Preferred rooms only they have theri own pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phillybeachbabe11
atlanta
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I spent two wonderful nights at Secrets Silver Sands. I get to visit a lot of AI's for my job and this one is at the top of my list. The staff is incredible. They are always smiling! And work so hard to make you happy. Lots of AI's do that but the smiles got to me. THey seemed to really like their jobs.
My room was an ocean view. Very clean. I liked how the bathroom could be opened to the room or the sliding door shut for privacy. Do wish they offered conditioner. Not sure why they don't, but I brought my own so all was okay.
The pools are many and not crowded. We were at 100pct occupancy during my stay but it never felt that way. Always a chair available. Always a towel. Always a server offering water or to bring us a drink.
The food was very good. I like that they serve smaller portions of food. We ate so much that sometimes it was nice to have a small plate. Everything I tried was delicious. My hat if off to Oscar the Manager of the Asian restaurant. He went out of his way to make sure I had the perfect meal.
The crowd at night was fun. We danced every night until the band left. My boyfriend is not a dancer by nature but the music/crowd was so energetic you could not help but want to join in.
All in all I give it the hotel two big thumbs up.
The beach isn't horrible. Just rocks in the water. Lots of beaches up and down the Mayan Riviera have that same problem. And I've heard rumors that SSS is working to solve the rock problems on their own.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!