“Nice place for couples”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Good food not great but the entertainment was off the hook and rooms were nice and clean but the water for the whirlpool in the room
Was brown ,,, the bar at the pool was awesome and pool volley ball was addicting ! The beach was very rocky not a beach friendly resort ,,

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Al_yesiller
Write a ReviewReviews (11,214)

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stayed here last september but have only just remembered to write a review! I use trip advisor quite alot so think its fair to give my opinion on this one.

So we arrived in the afternoon, and after a 11 hour flight from London we were delighted to be greeted by our driver who took us to our private air conditioned mini bus! This was just what you needed after such a long flight and after a short transfer we arrived at the hotel. Initially when going down the road to the hotel it doesnt look how you`d expect as its really off the beaten track but once you get closer it looks exactly as it does in the photos-amazing!

We were greeted at reception with a glass of champagne and taken over to a reception desk which are all individual with seats so you can check in in comfort.
Once checked in & taken to our room, the porter took us & our bags to our room showing us around the hotel on the way, very friendly so we gave him a small tip for his troubles!

The hotel really is exactly as it looks-picture perfect. It is such a big hotel which we were a bit wary about but it doesnt feel that busy at all, as there are so many restaurants & pools to choose from there is always enough space for everyone.

When lazing around the pool the waiters are constantly asking if they can get you anything but not in a bad way. I felt bad & slightly lazy sometimes so I would get up & get my own drinks as it was so hot & I was wearing just a bikini I felt bad for them sweating in clothing!! We didnt tip everytime but maybe a couple of dollars a day means you`d get served before anyone else but as I say it wasnt that busy so I never experienced a wait.

We thought the restaurants were great, a wide variety , especially the asian one, we went there a few times & sat on one of the Teppanyaki tables one night although these need to be booked & if theres only 2 of you you will share with others but still a great experience.

One night my boyfriend had arranged a private meal on the beach (I think this has to be done before arriving) and he tailor made the menu to suit my tastes. It is so personally done & in the dessert written in the sauce was happy anniversary! Then once we had the meal we returned to our room & there was rose petals in a heart on the bed & the jacuzzi bath filled with them too.

It was the personal touches that really made it 5 star, from the romantic meal on the beach to chocolate on the pillows everynight and when a wedding party guest who had too much to drink & tried to start a fight with my boyfriend for taking a chair the security team quickly rallied round & couldnt apologise enough for this guest!

The only minor fault I could find was the entertainment, whilst there was something on everynight, it wasnt always the best of shows & didnt last very long but this was the only fault & a very small one at that.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone & will stay at a secrets resort again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank flojobright
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Me and my wife stayed at SSS for 4 nights/5 days. This was our first stay at a Secrets resort and would definitely consider them again in the future. I will keep this review to the point as best as I can.

My overall experiences:
The food was very good and the restaurants do a very good job in making you feel comfortable and welcome. The portions are small, very small, but I live in the Midwest and we don't know what portion control means (lol). I never went hungry. The best kept secret is the sushi bar. Nobody and I mean NOBODY was at the sushi bar inside the Japanese restaurant when we were there. It's FANTASTIC - try it - you won't be disappointed.

The pools are wonderful and are absolutely beautiful. You can always find some place to get away from the rest of the crowds, so no worries. They are well maintained and were at the right temp! Poolside drink service was sometimes a little slow, but they are working very hard and have quite a few orders to attend to so patience is needed. Dollars work well, but not necessary. :)

The grounds are very well taken care of although we had some workers, NON SSS employees, that were a bit annoying that were working a project next door. On a few occasions, a few of them were basically flirting with my wife. Pretty innocent stuff, but they would just stare (including an occasional wave) and it made for some uncomfortable moments.

The staff were very pleasant. A big HELLO to JP (Isasiahs - spelled something like that) the bartender. We did feel as though we got jerked around when we arrived with our room. I did upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite before arriving. It was not ready upon arrival, which was fine, as we were early. Although we were told 20 minutes for the room to be ready, it turned out to be about 4 hours. We were given a hospitality to room to change our clothes in (BTW: We had an Ocean View/Swim Out w/preferred club privs) so we could enjoy the pool. When we got to our room, we didn't have all the preferred club items such as the premium alchohol, or the snacks, nor the champagne as expected. Those did arrive, but it was at 10:30pm that night. :) Still, the effort was made to make us happy and that counts.

Overall, we would come back again. We will explore other options, but for the money it was a worth the experience (we used Apple Vacations - highly recommended). Working through Zuko the online concierge is definitely worth the extra effort. She strives to make things happen. The beach was walkable, but am not sure I would want to venture out into the water as others have mentioned. There are much better beaches in Cancun, but the pools will win you over!

Good Luck!

Room Tip: I think the swim out option is worth it. It really made it nice to walk right out to the pool withi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank O_Ante_M
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A group of 5 of us traveled to Secrets Silversands September 3rd – 9th. There were 2 couples and one single guy. I will break this review into sections since that is the way I like to read reviews.

Check In – We took USA transfers from the Cancun airport to Secrets, which was a 15 minute drive. When we pulled up to the security gate I could smell the rotten egg sewage smell that many people talked about. Once we got to the lobby however you could no longer smell it. We arrived at 12:30pm and a bell hop took our bags, we did not receive a cool towel but after a few minutes we received a glass of champagne. Check in was pretty quick, we booked a standard pool view room but were upgraded to a pool view swim out at no charge. We were given our room number and told to come back around 2pm and our rooms would be ready.

Rooms – We were in room 4127, block 4 1st floor. Our room walked out to the pool behind the spa, which I thought was a very nice location. The room was as expected from pictures, but to be honest was a little more run down than I thought it would be. The floor had stains on it and the picture frame in the bathroom was broken in half with a sharp shard of glass. These were not huge issues, but none the less not what you would expect. The toilet has some flushing issues occasionally and the shower does not drain the best but not really big deals. The bed is comfortable, no too hard and not too soft. We were not in our room all that often so it served its purpose of a place to change and sleep. We did not smell any sewage until it rained, then it really kicked up.

Pools – We spent most of our time in the pool in front of our rooms and in the sea side hot tub. The mail pool is the busiest and that is where all of the activities are. Some pools are colder than others, the coolest being the infinity pool.

Restaurants- We tried all the restaurants except Bordeaux. The first night was El Patio which I thought was good. A mariachi band came around and sang, we even got them to sing the Macarena. Second night was Portofino, that food was also very good. My husband had the beef ribs and they were amazing, so tender. Third night was Himitsu Hibachi grill. We got in line at about 4:30pm to make our reservations for later that night at 7pm. It was a fun show and the food was good especially the chicken, it was very tender and juicy. Fourth night was Oceana, which to be honest I don’t really remember. Fifth night was Ratatouille, also very good. On our last night we ate at the restaurant side of Himitsu, which was probably the best dinner of them all. The sushi was very good as was the fried rice and Curry chicken. We had breakfast at the buffet every morning and my favorite was the little tacos they served fresh near that omelet station. We also ate at Sea Side Grill and Oceana for lunch and I preferred Oceana. Room service was good too, hit and miss with it being hot or warm.

Service – This is why I love Mexico. The service that these people give is amazing. Always pleasant and helpful. Shout out to Thomas in the Breakfast buffet, he made me a cute little cricket my last day.

Activities – We participated in the Texas hold’em tournaments, which was fun as well as the darts tournament, bingo and wine tasting. We went to a few of the shows, the circus being my favorite. They always had a band playing late at night.

Spa-They had a deal of $119 for an 80 minute full body massage with 2 day spa passes, which was a great deal. When you get to the spa it is a little confusing. Once you change into your swimsuit and lock up your things you will want to head to the back of the spa, directly behind the front desk, to the spa circuit. My husband and I peeked around until we found it because no one told us about it. There you will find the steam room, sauna, cold plunge pool, hot tub and spray shower. There is also a spa pool with jet stations, which sucked a little because only a few of the jets were working. The massage I had was great, and my husband and I ended up using the spa wellness pass twice that day.

Adventure Photo- This is a free service and highly recommended. It is located directly across from the buffet. You make your reservations and then go out with a photographer for a half hour photo shoot, there is no obligation to buy and you do get one free photo. If you do decide to buy the pictures are $15 each and will be put on a CD with a copyright release. If you buy 15 photos you get a free photo book.

Beach-Didn’t spend much time here, as I am more of a pool person. The beach is getting better because they are removing the rocks but it’s still not awesome but I knew that going in so it wasn’t a big deal.

Check-Out-Quick and easy.

All in all we had a great time, I would recommend this resort to other groups and the price and quality are great but I personally would not return just because there are so many other places to see. Feel free to message me with questions.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank walkek
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We thought going to the Mayan Riviera in the summer could result in some overcast rainy days. This could not be further from the truth. We experienced beautiful sunny weather at a great resort.
We found the resort and the service to be excellent, with no shortage of pools.
We really appreciated the "no reservation" requirements at the restaurants as it allowed us to decide at the last minute where we would dine for that evening. We both thought the food was great.
A very enjoyable, relaxing vacation close to the airport.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NorthernVacationers
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Excellent property. No kids! :) great food and drinks. The pool is huge and awesome!!! The rooms, same thing, huge and awesome!!! Resort is clean and new. The only somewhat negative thing I'd have to say is that the beach was a little small and not super clean. But I tend to spend more time at the pool anyhow so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. This is my favorite hotel in riviera Maya. My second is Now Jade. And my all time favorite hotel is the ME by Melia in cancun!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KMC2583
Reviewed 12 September 2011

SSS was as good as it appears in the pictures. We loved everything about it. The food was great, the service was good and the facilities were spectacular!

Our only complaint was that the rooms were too hot. We had a group of 22 of us, and we ALL had the same complaint. I'm sure it's just Mexican standards vs. American. Didn't ruin our trip, but did make us wonder about returning.

This is our second Secrets and we absolutely adore the brand. I don't know what else you could want for in a resort.

Room Tip: Oceanview room was spectacular!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!