“Amazing Honeymoon!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Amazing Honeymoon!!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Everything about our stay at Secrets Silversands was perfect!! My new husband and I spent a week at Silversands celebrating our honeymoon. We couldn't have picked a more perfect, beautiful, and welcoming place to spend our honeymoon. From the moment we walked through the front door, we were treated like family. Our room was spectacular! It had a king size bed, jacuzzi tub, and a shower you could easily fit a dozen people in. Rose petals were laid all around the room to celebrate our honeymoon. We choose a swimout room, but still had a little view of the ocean. A huge shoutout to the amazing event staff! (Especially Johnny, Inida, Moreno, and Erbi). My husband and I love keeping busy and the event staff had plenty of things for us to do. We played beach volleyball, water volleyball, ping pong, bingo, crazy games, took spanish lessons, and biked to a nearby town with the event staff. And that was just only some of the events held daily. We miss not seeing them on a daily basis!! Another great aspect about this resort is the location. We were the first dropped off from the airport when we arrived. The day we left we were the last picked up. It was great! I would highly suggest Secrets Silversands to anyone traveling to Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: We loved our Swimout. It was on a quiet side of the resort and had it's own private pool! All of...
4 Thank Marissa D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,115)
Bushkill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The resort could not do enough for you! Everyone has a great attitude, and the place is spotless! All inclusive! Multiple swimming pools, sure to find one to your liking! Multiple bars and restaurants! Will return again very soon!!

3 Thank Bob J
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Silversands hotel for 1 week in June.
I have visited the Moon Palace and can say I prefer Silversands, although cannot fault the Moon Palace, but the Silversands is nicer as it is smaller.
The staff are outstanding, you couldn't ask for more. They are friendly, attentive, good fun and overall genuinely nice people.
The rooms are fabulous - we had a junior suite with an partial ocean view. Huge king size bed that could sleep 4, jacuzzi in the room. It was also my birthday and the hotel made me feel special by putting banners on the door, champagne and birthday cake delivered to my room.
Rooms were cleaned everyday and the maids do a fab job of making the rooms look lovely and tidy.
They're are several pools so it doesn't feel crowded and always able to find sun lounges considering the hotel was very full. The main pool is where all the activities and swim up bar, but if you want peace and tranquility, they're are other smaller pools that are scattered around. Also, Jo matter where you sit, you will have waiter service. The pools are amazing. They are so warm from the heat, it's like a lovely big bath!
Don't let the weather forecasts put you off either, as we were a bit wary of coming to Mexico in June. Apart from the odd clouds which quickly pass, it has been 32c all week. We had one day where it thundered and showered, but that was only for half an hour and then the sun came shining out. We couldn't believe our luck of the weather as we nearly chose a later month because we had read up on weather in June, but don't let that you put you off.
Evening entertainment was fun, I only saw 2 shows but both were brilliant. Again, waiter service throughout. 7 restaurants to dine at - I would recommend the French restaurant. The Chinese restaurant was good, albeit not like the Chinese in the UK, but still nice and the Seaside Grill was amazing too for those who love steaks. Lunch was a buffet restaurant inside or there were snack bars around the pool serving burgers, hot dogs etc. but the buffet restaurant was good and varied each day. Breakfast was in the buffet restaurant inside as well and lots to chose from.

At the beginning of our trip, we were offered the chance to visit a local Secrets hotel to have breakfast there and to check the hotel out. We were offered $300 spa certificate for going, so of course we weren't going to turn that down. However, we had breakfast and was shown around the hotel but then they try to sell you some sort of time share offers - it was about 2.5 hours in total we were there for, even had to had breakfast with the negotiator and found it a bit too much with all the info and trying to sell us these shares - the guy did also get a bit arsey at the end when we turned down the share offer, but hey it got us $300 for a neck, back and shoulder massage at the Silversands so not all bad, but if you don't fancy the neck, back and shoulder massage, then don't go for the breakfast at the other hotel, it will save you 2 hours of your holiday!!!

Overall, was a brilliant holiday and I am already planning my next trip back here. Couldn't ask for better service, better weather and overall a fantastic trip. Thanks to all at the Silversands.

Room Tip: The swim out pool rooms can be looked upon by other guests at the pool, so if you want time to yours...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank SB4646
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at Secrets Silversands 6/7 to 14. It was our second visit to this property and we are very happy we returned. We have been traveling to Mexico and the Riviera Maya for over 10 years and for 20 overall visiting all around the Caribbean before Mexico, trying various properties and I have to say that this resort is our #1 favorite.

What makes it so special? Four things, the staff, the beauty of the property, the room and cleanliness, and the quality of the food and drink!

Over all the staff was great! I cannot think of a single person that did not reflect quality service. Any great resort relies on its people as their front line of customer service and satisfaction. So many times I read these reviews and people rave about the bartenders. Who doesn't like a good bartender! LOL! They are great, but I would like to acknowledge some other people. The people on the beach that hustle back and forth in the heat getting us our drinks, lunch, etc. are important in keeping us all happy. Two young ladies who worked our section of the beach who deserve kudos are Angeles and Delmy. They greet you with huge smiles every morning and take care of you all day! They are friendly, are always working hard to make your vacation special, and are still smiling at the end of the day! We actually looked forward to seeing them every day, and not just for the drinks.

Another person to acknowledge was our housekeeper Miriam. We would see her sometimes when returning to the room for something. Always smiling and cheerful, and let me tell you she left our room spotless every day! My wife especially liked the beautiful rose petal and towel animals left for her amusement. We did upgrade to an ocean front room and it was spectacular! Overall the guest rooms are really great. Modern and everything works!

As previously mentioned this was our 2nd stay at this property. When we arrived and were being brought up to our room we had the same bellman, Sahid, as our first visit. I remembered him because he is fun, humorous, loves to chat and start your vacation off in a positive way. He is just a great person! When we went to have our bags picked up for checkout, who appeared at the door again, Sahid! How ironic, but true.

This trip we upgraded to the Preferred Club. It was fun. On day 2, I had a small issue that needed to be taken care of and went to the concierge at the Club for help. Working that day was Amarta and she stepped right in, and no more issue! This is what customer service is all about. During the rest of the trip I would stop by to just grab a coffee or drink and say hello. Amarta truly defines what the Preferred Club is all about, superior service and assistance if needed. She is an asset to Secrets.

The property is lush and tropical and the grounds are beautiful and spotless. Every day the groundskeepers are out there pruning, building new flower beds, etc.. We are beach people and love to sit buy the ocean. I was amazed here because early every morning a Bobcat was on the beach grooming the beach sand and making it beautiful. In 20 years of vacation travel have never seen a property take such care of their beach's appearance. In addition there are grounds keepers out all day keeping the beach clean.

The quality of the food at this resort is great. The quality and presentation of the food and the atmosphere of the restaurant made each evening a special one. The Italian and French restaurants had wonderful piano entertainment every night. The piano player, Alejandro was sensational. He knows most every song you can think of, and can stylize it to fit the moment. We truly enjoyed the Monday evening we spent at dinner listening to him make wonderful music. We have been married 38 years and one night in the French restaurant when he found out he asked what our wedding dance song was. When we told him "I only have eyes for you" by the 50's do-wop group The Flamingos, he immediately started to play it. No looking for sheet music, nothing, right off the top of his head. Amazing and very much appreciated. To make this moment even more special our waiter, and I am embarrassed to say I miss-placed the paper I wrote his name down on for he was exceptional and fun, presented my wife and I with desert where the Chef had written "Happy 38th anniversary, I only have eyes for you". Talk about making you feel very special.

If you are looking for a 5 star property that is both classy and fun, I would encourage you to try this Resort. It has a great mix of young and people our age. Everyone is there to relax and have fun and, when you do get to that level you will find everyone is friendly and chat's with total strangers. What a wonderful and happy world you experience at Secrets Silversands! Look for us next June.

3 Thank Joe N
Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The first words you hear when arriving here are 'welcome home' and they truly mean it. This was our second visit to Secrets Silversands and again, we were treated like a part of the Secrets family. The resort is amazing and is very convenient to the Cancun airport. The rooms are large, comfortable and kept immaculate by the maids with morning and nightly service. The grounds are unbelievably manicured, pools kept very clean and the resort is compact and easy to navigate. The restaurants are all very good and I couldn't recommend one over another. We tried them all. Everybody needs to find their own niche at Silversands...pool or beach, larger active pool or one of the smaller quiet pools, spa or not, outdoor casual or indoor resort casual dining, variety of entertainment options, visiting with new friends or spending time together, or, the nice thing about this resort is that you can do it all. Not only is Silversands one of the most beautiful resorts in Cancun, the thing that puts it way over the top is the staff. They all greet you with a smile and a friendly word, they work extremely hard and will do anything to make your stay a pleasure. There were a few employees that we would like to give a note special thanks. Oscar at the front desk reception, Felipe-pool bar service, Andrea-World Cafe hostess, Hipalito & Pedro-World Cafe waiters, Vanessa & Chris-Cocoa Cafe servers, Facundo-Himitsu manager and Jose-Himitsu waiter. In closing, we would say that it is money well spent to experience Secrets Silversands. If you do, you will be back...its that good.

Room Tip: We stayed in building #2 on second floor. Very quiet and convenient to restaurants and mail pool.
2 Thank BudF6F
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently went on my honeymoon with my fiancee to Secrets Silversands after doing quite a bit of research.

My rating of 2 stars would be 1 star if it wasn't for the beautiful property and room accommodations. First i will go over the good things.

The room at the preferred club rate was spacious, spotless and the view of the ocean was amazing. It was cleaned promptly every day and the AC was ice cold when we needed to return to cool down from time to time.

The service was timely and attentive, everyone greeted us with a smile on their face.

The grounds were beautiful and the pools were spotless and very relaxing. We never had an issue with lounge chairs any time or place that we were looking. This includes the small beach shade huts.

The nightly entertainment was really fun, the cirque-esque performers especially were awesome.

The Bad:

Food, I booked this place because of all the chatter about incredible food. I figured a beach resort was going to have a wonderful beach, good pools, and any all inclusive will have bottomless drinks. So I looked for places with high ratings on food service and good restaurant reviews. Our first impression with the restaurants at the resort were from the Oceana poolside restaurant, it was mediocre at best. Them we went to Himitsu for dinner which was good, not great, it was average. The next day we went to Portofino for dinner, and the food was inedible, i ordered veal osso bucco which showed up raw at the bone and like a car tire where it was cooked, my wife's pasta was trying to be Italian with some kind of mexican spices and ended up being terrible mexitalian that was unidentifiable.

That was the end of trying the restaurants for us, having been trained in frrench cuisine at culinary school I was afraid to enter the doors at Bordeaux, and my wife was sick the rest of the week as a result of the pasta the night before.

On a side note the hamburgers were good, just get two and don't bother with the stale fries. The breakfast buffet was good (try the tamales!) and the lunch buffet was ok.

Being on our honeymoon we were given a free romantic dinner on the beach, when we booked our dinner we were handed the menu. It looked wholly unappetizing to me and my wife did not like a thing on the menu. Needless to say we ended up canceling. Our romantic breakfast in bed showed up, the eggs benedict was unidentifiable I have never seen anything like it before, we left it and went to the buffet.

This is my first experience with an all inclusive resort, and I hope it is not normal. I leave the rating as poor because the experiences in the restaurants caused issues the whole week.

The pools and beach were relaxing and the rooms were excellent, In my opinion the reviews on the restaurants can be a bit misleading.

5 Thank jbehr709
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear jbehr709,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

It is a great pleasure you liked our contemporary concept. Choosing a Resort is not easy, but with the luxury homemade ambience, we make things easier for you.

On the other side of your review, we truly regret to read your experience with our food. It is not common to read that our food is not good and it is the most terrible part of a gateway. Our reputation shows the opposite of that.
But we understand your discomfort and we have taken your comments very seriously and you can be assured that the necessary re-training measures are being instituted to prevent recurrences in the future.

With this said, we look forward to have the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence our resort and service. I assure you the best dinner of your life.

Greetings,

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We went here on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time of relaxation and indulgence. The resort was incredible and very well maintained. Even when it rained during our trip, we enjoyed music and entertainment inside the resort. The rooms were luxurious. I believe we had a Junior Suite Partial Ocean View King and it was amazing. They had employees for everything from security to mopping up the sidewalks outside to keep them as dry as possible during the rain. The employees are very nice and work very hard. All of the employees I met were bilingual. They were eager to serve us however they could. They took time to do the little things, such as folding my napkin when I left the table. All of the food was delicious. My favorite restaurants were Seaside Grill (lunch) and El Patio (dinner). The room service was amazing too. We never went on an excursion because there was plenty to do and enjoy on the resort. The location was also convenient, as it was only a 15 minute drive from the airport. I highly recommend Secrets Silversands.

5 Thank Katherine B
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!