We couldn't decided between hotels for our two week honeymoon so we decided to split the trip into two resorts. We choose this hotel for the first week based on all the good reviews. We honestly can not believe how highly rated it is, but maybe this hotel just wasn't for us. I am sure it would appeal to others. We would have been very unhappy with our honeymoon if we hadn't chosen a marvellous hotel (The Royal Suites Yucatan, Grand Palladium) for the second week.
We opted for a preferred club ocean front room. The view was lovely, however we were only on the second floor and when we sat out on the balcony in the day, it was incredibly noisy with people in the pool talking loudly, shouting and playing their music from loudspeakers. That said one of the things we did enjoy about the hotel was eating room service breakfast every morning from the balcony. We did not particularly enjoy the room decor, finding it quite cold, bare and aged, with staining on the silver bed heads over the bed. In addition the humidity in the room was unbelievable - we had to keep the fan going constantly to stop a thick layer of condensation on the floor. Once we left the balcony door open for ten minutes to let some warm air into the room and the bed sheets were left damp which was horrible to sleep in. By the end of the week we had one of our suitcases growing mould and all of our clothes smelt! Another issue we had was with one of the fans in the lounge area. For some reason on the last couple of nights throughout the night several times, a light automatically switched on which woke us up several times. We phoned for assistance however no one came. We also had other problems with the tap which was broken and when we turned it on the first time, it started to leak and flow over to the floor. The final straw with this room was on the Saturday night when we went to bed around 11pm, we could hear loud live music from the entertainment theatre, loud enough to stop us sleeping. We could not believe this seeing as our room in the Preferred Club was one of the furthest from the entertainment theatre! We did phone the concierge and almost straight away there was a reduction in the volume, however the music could still be heard!
As for the food, we thought the food was largely quite good and a good choice of restaurants. The buffets were good choice and generally good quality and the fresh juices for breakfast were great. The restaurants were all very nicely decorated, however what I did not like was that there was no outside view or windows in most of them so they were very enclosed.
Overall we agree with other reviewers about the Preferred Club, that it is simply not worth it unless you want an ocean view room, we actually found a couple of the staff there quite incompentent when we asked for help with bookings.
We received the romantic dinner as part of our package and although the setting was nice on the beach, it was right next to the bar which was very loud with live music playing not the type we enjoy! We also really did not enjoy the food. We found three of the four courses almost inedible, flavourless and far better food served in the restaurants. The service was great however we felt rushed as there are only 2 hour slots. We would have been very unhappy if we had to pay the 200USD advertised for it.
The grounds for this hotel were well maintained, however very small and not much place for privacy, long romantic walks or time alone. When we came down early enough, we enjoyed to spend the time on the far right of the beach where there were a few sunbeds with curtains and were private. The drink service was great. Overall though the beach was not great and certainly not on a beautiful stretch of coastline, with only other hotels and some abandonned falling apart houses on either side. The hotel really could have been anywhere in the world. This combined with that we found it very crowded and full of people - meant it was far from our idea of an ideal romantic honeymoon. In addition we found it very expensive,compared to the hotel we stayed at in the second week which was half the price and had better rooms, views, beach and gorgeous huge hotel grounds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun is a chic, ultra modern all-suite adult-only unlimited-luxury resort featuring 433 suites, over 43,000 sq ft of pool areas and expansive manicured gardens, exceptional dining options, several bars ranging from elegant to swim-up. World class spa, a fitness center and two Jacuzzis ensure that guests are pampered and indulged. We are nestled on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, 15 miles south of Cancun and only twenty minutes from the Cancun International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico