“The food”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
“The food”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went July 17-23 and did preferred club. We requested top floor and we're put on 3rd floor. We were disappointed since we did pay more for our ocean front room. My husband let josh know, the concierge who checked us in that we were disappointed. It took an hour to get our room ready which was a bit disappointing. However once we got to our room it was freshly cleaned and decorated for our anniversary. Josh ended up calling our room shortly later and telling us that we could move to the top floor the next day, in which we did. The rooms were clean, showers were huge. The towels killed to dry off with. Very corse and scratchy, especially if one was sunburned after a day at the beach. I thought it would be nice if one was part of preferred club they can have softer towels. Turn down service was good the first several nights, but one night they came to do turn down at 7 as we were getting ready for dinner. Another night they never came at all. Again with preferred club I would think it would be a bit different. As far as cleaning the room, they did a good job overall. One day however they didn't clean our room til 4:00 in which we had to call down and ask for them to come up to do so. Also our sheets were dirty that they had put on and we called down and right away clean sheets were brought up and they changed the bed for us.
The entertainment was good. My husband loved the Rock show. We were in room 3411 and we could hear the music in our room at 11 at night, with a sound machine on it drowned out the noise. The pool was awesome! Loved the infinity pool ... Looked over the ocean and nice breeze too....it was amazing. The beach was very rocky, but I kind of liked that from a visual stand point. Did not enjoy going in ocean cause of all the seaweed and rocks. We did however enjoy the kayak. We felt like we got to be in the ocean but not touching all the rocks and seaweed. There was topless women on the beach. Also, the server didn't come around as often at the beach as they did at the pool.
The food is why I would recommend this place. I have been to several resorts and this is the first one where I ate more then bread and butter. I loved the French and the Japanese. The French beef with blue cheese was tender and cooked perfect along with the cheesecake. Another night I had the chicken in Dijon mustard, so yum! The restaurants try to cater to allergies. It was so nice to have that option. There is a cute coffee shop too. The frappacino tasted like milk, not great. The cinnamon rolls there were fresh and sweet! The other thing about restaurants is go an hour before you are really hungry. The service is slow and takes time to get your food. We didn't mind because we didn't have kids we were attending to, and our meals were always so hot.
At this resort I was surprised to see so many groups here. I felt like there was a lot of couple friends here. There was some girls together on a girls trip, but lots of groups that came together. Also there were quite a few lesbian and gay couples.

I would go back, I like the secrets chain of resorts compared to other chains we have been to.

3 Thank Smiely21
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Smiely21,

We appreciate you have taken the time to write a review about your stay with us.

The sun in the Caribbean is strong. I am sure that is not new for any traveler. If you have sunburns, the towels always feel hard. But our towels are soft; in fact, this is the first time we read that.

We think one of the most important things in your holiday is the food. We are glad you found our food delicious.

We cordially invite you to try another adults-only experience at any Secrets Resort. We specialized in couples but due our ambience we have many other people that love our Unlimited-Luxury® concept.

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,113)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have stayed at this report in the past, but this is the first time we have been to an all inclusive resort in the summer. Secrets continued to be a good destination in Mexico. The last visit to SS was in March 2013 and there was only one or two hardy souls in the infinity pool as it water temperature was cold. During the July visit the infinity pool becomes the busiest one as it becomes a place to cool down from the humidity and heat.

In other reviews you will get a good idea about what the resort is about: negative and positive. For this review decided to offer some tips:

Coldest pool is the infinity, the main pool is quite warm.

Best breeze you can get is at the bar near the beach. Near the beach volleyball court

1st trip we were in the preferred club. This trip we were not and truthfully it is not worth the upgrade. In the preferred club you get access to snacks and more liquor in your room. And, of course the preferred club. Room was the same size and food/alcohol is available everywhere. Did not find the need to have more in the room.

When you arrive some people go to the couch and wait to be checked in. Best to head to one of the employees and asked to be checked in. A few people can be dropped off at the same time and you may get lost in the shuffle.

You are offered a $200 voucher shaped as a key. If you go to redeem, it seems you will be subject to getting a small sales pitch in the services and resort. I have seen this at other resorts as well and I politely declined. We were not asked again, just decline if you are not interested.

Try to tip the staff, nothing huge. Just a couple bucks here and there. I would sweat if I lifted an arm and was very warm while leading my sedentary life at the resort. Cannot imagine what it would be like to slug around food/drinks all day waiting on people.

In the summer you do not have to play the get up early and reserve a lounge chair game. Can find a chair easily by 1030am. Unlike the March travel time, where you have to get up with the birds to get a seat.

Overall another good visit. Enjoy the fact that I can get some Mexican food at this resort for breakfast/lunch. May seem odd but some resorts along the Mayan do not offer a good selection of Mexican food.

6 Thank Ra_Sun68
Dear Ra_Sun68,

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to the Mexican Caribbean.

As you experienced, we always try hard to maintain our excellent service and food because we know you are traveling from a far place to enjoy a different experience. I am truly happy to read your Secrets Silversands feedback, for all of the things you wrote we have a name: Unlimited-luxury®.

Make sure to contact me prior your arrival, you know is my pleasure to assist you. I truly hope to see you on your next gateway.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went from 7/13-7/20 and had an amazing time. The rooms were top notch and the people were so wonderful. All of the workers were amazing and so helpful. We loved the pool bartenders Misael and Freddy and the cocktail server Karen took care of us every night at the veranda bar. The entertainment was also well above what I've seen at other resorts. India and Jackie from the entertainment staff were exceptional. They really knew how to get the party started. We dinned at all the restaurants and truly loved Bordeaux. The onion soup is to die for. All and all it was exceptional and I would recommend it to anyone looking to travel to Cancun.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michelle S,

Thank you kindly for your excellent comment on TripAdvisor.

Indeed the entertainment staff is exceptional. As you saw, they love what they do and this provides the resort a nice touch of happiness.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Warm greetings,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Writing a review is not something I do often, but after staying at Silversands the past week I had the desire to inform travelers of my experience as an experienced traveler. So first of all I have been very fortunate and have had the opportunity to travel all across the world and have been to Europe on numerous occasions, the middle east, all over the caribbean and the United States on several occasions. I just returned from this resort and definitely would give it an "Above Average" overall rating. I was very fortunate to have traveled with my girlfriends family who are wonderful people, and I have often said the people you travel with make the experience. With this said, a majority of the staff are extremely friendly and want to go out of their way to make your trip an amazing experience, and in the past five days they did a great job. Felieppe and Delmy the two servers are the biggest asset this hotel has, and I hope everyone who ever stays at this resort, have the opportunity to meet these two individuals as they truly made my vacation, before I left I even went to take a picture with both of them as I wanted to remember them from the experience. Sitting by the pool or beach and relaxing and knowing anything we needed and a cold drink was always available was great, these two people really care about your daytime experience. The food at the resort for Mexico was above average, a variety of different restaurants most of which were amazing. I had the opportunity to eat in the Italian Restaurant, French, Seafood, and Mediterranean and enjoyed all of the food in each, the service in the French Restaurant was horrible as it took forever and the waiter forgot about us, but the food was great I would highly recommend the Mussels. Italian was great, stay away from the veal but the Pasta Dishes are great, Seafood the fish was amazing, service was very nice wear bug spray here. Mediterranean was the best the Lamb Chops, and Salmon were amazing. Room Service, had cheeseburgers and fries late night and thought they were great.

Rooms- We had a beautiful room because of a mistake by the resort which occurred at check-in, but I appreciated the gesture of an upgrade and was grateful the hotel staff extended this to us. When we arrived we had two double beds after we requested two rooms with kings, and were dragged around the hotel for about an hour to get the issue resorted, was not a fun experience. The front desk did not speak great english, but with my moderate spanish speaking abilities we got threw the experience with that, checkout was not an impressive experience either, as there were multiple issues with their headcount, and card system but at the end of the day we made it to the airport in plenty of time. The room itself was great, it could have been a little cleaner, as the sliding door on the balcony was broken upon our arrival, and the bath was a bit stained but great shower and bathroom area and bed was comfy.

Excursions- We enjoyed the snorkeling tour that we booked through our travel company, and was very close to the hotel which was great, again the staff was very friendly and accommodating, my girlfriend and I had our pictures together and had Reuben as a photographer and once again went out of his way to accommodate us.

A few things stuck out at me, for area's of improvement A) In certain area's of the hotel you need more staff the concierge desks are always being utilized and people don't want to wait long periods of time to be helped while on vacation. The Hibachi restaurant reservation system is not fun, and was something we wanted to do and were not able to get into so that was frustrating. The worst part of the experience was our first full day there which was Monday, when the resort ran out of Ice and could not make any cold drinks whatsoever this situation roughly lasted a couple of hours, and was ridiculous, it was the middle of the afternoon, gorgeous day and you couldn't get a drink, I would compare it to a stormy afternoon at that point except you can't control the weather you can control your ice inventory. One of the managers I spoke with when frustrated with a few of the experiences, was very unfriendly and got an attitude with me, which would be my biggest reason for honestly not coming back like I was uneducated and wasting his time and really made me feel uncomfortable, then he asked me if I was threatening him when I was trying to speak with him and had I not been in Mexico and back in the states I would have had no problem giving him my opinion at that moment, and as a= a manager myself who worked his way through the hospitality industry in college, I have never encountered a manager this disrespectful and if the resort wants to know more they can contact me but I won't blast him on the internet as it's not right.

Had the last experience not occurred I discussed I would have a higher opinion and would probably consider coming back as I had an overall great experience, the last part altered my opinion a little but great honeymoon resort if your looking for a caribbean, young not crazy environment with people from all over the world having a great time and a staff that appreciates you than a great place.

BRING DOLLAR BILLS WITH YOU, I SAW SO MANY PEOPLE NOT TIP THE PEOPLE THAT WERE SERVING THEM AND GOING OUT OF THE WAY TO MAKE THEIR EXPERIENCE BETTER, ALL INCLUSIVE DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE STAFF AND I SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO WRITE THIS BUT YOU WILL BE SHOCKED DON'T BE THAT PERSON….

Thanks Everyone,

Room Tip: Stay away from Building 5
7 Thank Andrew9457
Dear Andrew 9457,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed overview of your stay through this mean. Our guest’s feedback is truly appreciated in our constant commitment to improve our service levels.

It is our honor to be the first review of an experienced traveler. Sadly is not an excellent one, but as our reputation states, we always consider all kinds of comments to improve. As a seasoned traveler, I do not know if you have tried an all-inclusive resort, if you do, you may feel this is very different than the others. The Secret is our Unlimited-Luxury® concept which means a wide selection of delicious restaurants with premium spirits.

Indeed, sometimes the service may take a little time, but you are with your beloved or friends this is an opportunity to talk to each other and enjoy more drinks. We are not a fast food complex, all our restaurants have gourmet dining, especially Bordeaux. We truly regret you felt that way.

We truly appreciate your overview since this allows us to know our highs and lows in order to improve our service levels and we look forward to welcome you back to provide you the memorable stay that you deserve.

Chicago
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Not only was this my first time in Mexico, it was also my very first time at an all inclusive resort. I can honestly say we will be going back to stay here again! The resort is super clean to start. The staff are wonderful! They go above and beyond to help out with whatever you want to do/need. The entertainment team always has a schedule of fun activities all throughout the day and shows in the evening. The size of the resort is perfect, and if you want a quiet getaway with no kids, this is the perfect place! The food at the buffet as well as the fine dining restaurants was delicious! A special thanks to Johnny from the entertainment team for a week full of fun as well as Kendar and Juan from the wait staff for all of their help!!

Room Tip: Unless you have to have ocean view room, any location is perfect!
3 Thank memorymaker2007
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear memorymaker2007,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we are glad to read you had a wonderful stay and also proud of our staff especially from the entertainment and wait staff.

You really set the bar high with our all inclusive concept which is Unlimited Luxury®. One of the mayor benefits is gourmet dining at our wide restaurants selection.

We hope to see you again in a near future to enjoy one more time the Secrets Silversands experience.

Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is my second trip to Secrets Silversands. The first trip was outstanding, I was expecting the same from the second trip. I was very pleasantly surprised that the second trip was even better, I didn't think it would be possible.

There were absolutely no issues with anything. The staff was first class. Everyone was so incredibly polite, all you had to do was ask. I have been to numerous resorts, but never one where 100% of the staff is courteous, polite and genuinely wants to assist you in whatever you may need.

Osman and Eldario (ask him about the flambe..yummy) stand out in my mind as incredibly polite knowledgeable, engaging servers....anything that we asked for...it appeared.

Now the restaurants and food....first class. The food was always fresh, the presentation was unbelievable, there were zero lines to get into any restaurant, you didn't have to make a reservation the day you arrive for your entire stay, you just go when you are hungry. The resort is catered to YOU and their #1 goal, from what I can see is for you to relax...the saddest day was the 6th day, when we had to leave.

You would think that at such a large resort, people would be waking at dawn to 'claim' chairs by the pool, never happened. As full as the resort was, there was always a place to sit. The layout of the resort is fantastic. You can join in the main pool and partake in various activities provided by the staff, or take some time out in the numerous other pools to just relax.

I would give this hotel 6 starts if it were possible, as I cannot think of one single unhappy moment (except the departure day). I highly recommend it, and will definitely be coming back :)

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. Open layout. I prefer the first floor where you are able to walk out right...
3 Thank NatalieBoit
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear NatalieBoit,

We would like to thank you for your excellent review on TripAdvisor and your loyalty.

As you saw, we are a modern resort that is always innovating new ways to accommodate our entire guests and all of the staff truly works hard to deliver the best service to you. We are proud of our concept Unlimited-Luxury® which is why we have the best food and a professional staff that is 24hours available for you.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort. The third time is going to be even better.

Your home away from home,

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We had the best time on our honeymoon. Ever time we asked for anything, it was promptly taken care of with a smile. We have already recommended this resort to many of our friends & family who are looking for a vacation spot. I was very impressed at the professionalism of all the staff, especially the entertainment crew. There are not enough words to describe what a great time we had there. We will definitely be making another resort stay with Secrets Resorts! Thank you so much for a wonderful vacation!
Shout out to these wonderful people that helped us out and made our stay perfect!

Habatchi Grill

Andres

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Amanda W
Dear Amanda W,

It was a pleasure to be the host of such an important holiday, we are glad that you had a great Honeymoon at Secrets Silversands

We feel overjoyed that you like all the concept of our Resort and our excellent service. Our staff truly works very hard to fulfill our standards and they are always happy to know this type of comments.

We look forward to have you back in your tropical home away from home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!