“Better than we could have dreamed...”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was the first time my wife and I had ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort so we don’t have much to compare it to, but we were blown away with how much we loved it! I’m not normally one to write reviews, but we enjoyed our stay so much that we felt compelled. In addition to this being review, I also write it to give thanks to Secrets Silversands and all the staff. I will also give special thanks to a few of the individuals that we remember the most because of the experiences we got to enjoy with them and we hope that they will see or hear this in some way.
The service was excellent from the time we arrived and were given a glass of champagne, greeted with a smile, and had our luggage taken to our room for us to the time we left with Jackie of the Entertainment Staff saying goodbye to us by name (or in my case a nickname) without any reminder and taking pictures with each of us. We could not help but notice how dedicated every member of the staff seems to be including the bartenders, room service, the entertainment team, and waiters/waitresses.
Our room was decorated a couple different ways throughout the week for our honeymoon. Once when room service brought my omelet 5 minutes later than the rest of the food, we weren’t even concerned about it at all, yet they still went out of their way to make up for it. We returned to our room after the show that night to find a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and an apology letter from the room service. We couldn’t believe they had done that just because a little mishap that hadn’t even been a problem for us.
All of the bartenders did a great job all week. However, we would like to give a special thanks to Bernice that was working at the pool bar. Bernice served us many drinks that week and he always did it with a smile and with great promptness. He also introduced us to a new drink (Ticket to Fly) when I asked for him to surprise me with a drink, and now it is one of our favorites.
The waiters at the restaurants were also always cheerful and diligent. They oftentimes made us laugh with their jokes and sometimes surprised us with special deserts that we did not expect or even request. We would like to especially thank Juan at the World Café breakfast for his service. He served us multiple times at breakfast throughout the week and each time we noticed his hard work ethic and great personality.
Another thing we loved about our stay was the great balance we had between alone time and relaxation and time being involved with activities and socializing. There was always a variety of events going on during the day that appeal to many different people and we were able to experience a lot of fun things during our stay such as the Crazy Games, pool volleyball, live music, entertaining nightly shows, a tour of the kitchen, and much more.
A large part of this is due to the hard work and dedication of the Entertainment Team. Throughout the week we had a lot of interaction with Johnny, India, Luis, Nico, Jackie, Moreno, and Erbi. Johnny always did a fantastic job in the role of MC at the nightly show. Luis cracked us up with his jokes when he was encouraging more people to participate in activities such as Water Aerobics or the Crazy Games. Moreno was one of a kind with his silly humor and did a fantastic job of entertaining us on our kitchen tour. Jackie and Nico also never failed to entertain us with their antics and they were all always very personable. Finally, although we hear India has gone back to Spain to be with her family, we were very thankful for the dance lessons she gave us during the week even though it was usually just us and one other couple.
Overall it was a better honeymoon than we ever could have imagined it would be. We will be recommending to all our friends and family and we hope to return before long. Leaving was very tough, because we felt very welcomed and never stopped having fun the whole trip.

2  Thank Todd H
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Todd H,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely hope we can have the honor of being your host in not too distant future.

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (11,040)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I just spent a week at Silversands, our first at an all inclusive resort. We've cruised before and enjoyed ourselves but I must say, our experience at Silversands exceeded our expectations.
The resort is just a short 25 minute trip from Cancun Airport and from the second you walk out of the shuttle at the entrance to the lobby, you are greeted by friendly employees and a glass of champagne. We arrived early at10:00 AM, so our room was not immediately available but we were encouraged to start our resort experience at the breakfast buffet. Our room was ready for us by 11:00 AM and concierge escorted us to our location.
The room was very clean and comfortable. We had a partial ocean view Junior Suite and it was more than adequate. Large king size bed, sitting area and balcony. The bathroom facilities were excellent...two sinks, large walk in shower and Jacuzzi tub.
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and well maintained. If I remember there are a total of seven pools on the property. The nice thing about the layout is that if you want to enjoy the company of others or if you want a nice quiet spot, there is a pool for you. The main pool is where all the action is centered. It has the swim up bar, pool games and attached hot tub. The balance of pools have varied degrees of activity, pick your preference. No matter where you are, bar waitresses will find you and take care of drink orders.
We spent much of our time on the beach. There was a nice breeze every day, great bar service and plenty of shade for those like me who need to avoid too much sun. Shaded huts and palm trees line the back of the beach. Waitresses will find you or if you prefer the Barracuda bar is a short walk and sits right on the beach. The beach itself is kept very clean by the staff. Seaweed in the area is always washing up during high tides, so clean up was a day long job for maintenance. The water is warm of course and has a rocky bottom. There are a couple areas where it is kept sandy for those who want to lounge in the water. If you want to walk out I strongly recommend water shoes.
Restaurant options are many and among the best of any Secrets resort that I looked at. French, Italian, Asian, Grill, Mediterannean, Seafood and of course Mexican, highlight the dinner options. Our favorite was the French restaurant but each one we experienced was excellent. Do keep in mind that the Seafood and Grill restaurants sit outside, bordering the main pool. If it is hot out with little breeze, it can be uncomfortable. The night we ate at Seaside Grill it was very warm and even in shorts, it was difficult to avoid sweating. Conversely the night we ate at the Oceana restaurant, it was very comfortable with a nice breeze and I even wore long pants that night. Dinners were always a highlight for us. The restaurant staffs are all excellent. Preparation and presentation of food was what you would experience at finer restaurants here in the States.
Some other notes about food....the breakfast and lunch buffets at World Café were both very good. Both sittings had a wide variety of food options to choose from and never disappointed. We actually skipped the Mexican restaurant for dinner, only because on one of the week nights, the resort has a "Mexican" night, where they have a huge Mexican food buffet followed by a Mexican entertainment show, outside in the theatre. The spread of food that night was incredible, if not a bit overwhelming. I suggest that if you have a night where you want to just let loose and really forget the diet (or just reasonable eating habit), that is the night to do it.
I've already written more than I would have figured so I'll just add some quick notes...bar service was plentiful and excellent, you want it, they'll make it. The fridge in your room will be kept stocked every day. It comes with a mix of water, sodas and Coronas, but if you want it stocked with just Coronas, just ask the staff, they'll do it...entertainment at night was a mix of some good shows and some that you might just want to skip....daily activities are always running at different times and places....excursions available offer a wide variety of options depending on your taste and how much you want to spend...shopping, there are some nice little shops in the main building and they do have local merchants come in twice a week and set up a market at night, if you attend the market at night remember, always negotiate off the first price they give you, they will start out very high on some items.
I can't end without praising the entire staff at Silversands, they are the ones who make the experience as special as it is. I know they say tell you gratuities are "included" in your fee but I made sure I tipped special service and those who really went the extra mile...specific bartenders, servers and housekeeping especially. Believe me they will greatly appreciate an extra few dollars for their efforts.
Overall a wonderful experience and we're already talking about returning next year for our 25th anniversary with friends.

Room Tip: If you are selecting a "swim" up suite and have a preference for privacy, make sure you sp...
4  Thank John G

Dear John G,

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The all-inclusive experience here is as advertised. The staff are some of the most accommodating and attentive I've experienced: this resort knows how to enhance the guest experience. Beauty abounds at this property. From the beaches, to the pools, to the grounds, this place is exquisite. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ben G

Dear Ben G,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Secret Silversands. We are glad that you enjoyed the Unlimited-luxury® concept of our beautiful Resort.

We truly hope to see you on a near future with us.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I looked at tons and tons of reviews before booking our resort and I think it's best to keep this review simple.

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Silversands 8/4-8/8 for our honeymoon! The ride from the airport to the resort was about 20 minutes. Once we arrived, we were greeted with a cool towel and glass of champagne.

Our room door had a honeymoon sign and rose petals on the bed. We had an ocean view room that was amazing! Mini bar and drinks available. It was just amazing and just what we wanted!

Food: Our favorite place was the Mediterranean restaurant. The lamb chops were great!! We also loved the Mexican restaurant. We ate at the breakfast buffet three times and I loved it each time. There are several different restaurants to choose from. I especially like the grill close to the pool for lunch. Be mindful of the dress codes for other restaurants!

We usually ate dinner around 8pm and there was never a wait to be seated.

Drinks: I didn't drink nearly as much as I thought I would! But the drinks were great and of course always available!

Entertainment: Entertainment was a hit or miss for us. Most nights we were tired by 10pm (which neither of us expected!!!). Johnnie does a great job with activities--we enjoyed water aerobics!

Beach: Like everyone says, there are rocks. I'm not a beach swimmer so I just enjoyed laying by the beach in the shade with a drink!

Pool: Amazing! Unfortunately, they pick the floats up at 5pm so if you want to lay on one in the pool, better do it before then. But it was never too crowded (after all, there are about 4 or 5 pools on the resort)

Preferred club: I thought this would make a big difference in our stay but it really didn't. I enjoyed using the preferred room when I wanted a snack or something sweet, but that was pretty much it. I don't think it's necessary at this resort.

WiFi worked in and out our room, no problem there.

Overall, I couldn't find much to really complain about. Beautiful resort, great service!

Room Tip: Our ocean front view was beautiful!
1  Thank Brittany B
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Silversands for our anniversary. My husband was skeptical (and is typically not easily impressed), but even he had to concede that it was a fabulous experience. Top 3 pluses for the resort:
1) The food was absolutely delicious! All-inclusive places are often known for subpar food, but we only had one lunch that was "take it or leave". Every other meal was delectable - from the breakfast buffet at World Café to the seafood at Oceana to Ratatouille (which might have served the best meal I've had - ever.)

2) The restaurant staff was super attentive. We were treated with the standard "Anniversary" banner on the door, champagne and rose petals, and were also treated with a lovely rose-laden special table on the eve of our anniversary...just because. It was a great touch.

3) The night-time entertainment was awesome. A lot of fun every night.

We like getting out and hanging with the locals when we travel, but if you don't like that - you really don't have to leave the resort. Everything you need is onsite.

Rooms: We upgraded to 4319 oceanview room. It worth it. We had a great view of the main pool, and the ocean which puts you in the action. Quiet in the morning, but not so during the afternoon and night. However, the sliding glass doors are so heavy that once you close the door, you don't hear a thing.

Cons:
1) Given the location of the resort, you are literally a minimum $45 (one-way) cab ride from EVERYTHING - Cancun, Playa del Carmen, excursions. That part sucks.

2) The beaches at Playa del Carmen and Cancun are leaps and bounds better than Secrets. There is a lot of seaweed at the beach, it is rocky and green. It's a pretty beach from afar, but not one that I'd "frolic". We took day trips to Playa Delfines and Playa del Carmen to scratch the beach itch.

Secrets was probably the best luxury experience we've had as a couple. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: 4319 had a great view of pool and the ocean. Right in the action, but not the room if you like quiet...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jayden727

Dear Jayden727,

It is a pleasure to read through such a detailed and awesome overview of your visit to Secrets Silversands. We sincerely appreciate the time invested on writing this review.

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed our food. As a part of our Unlimited-Luxury® there are many restaurants that you can choose from. Oceana, the sea food restaurant, is delicious!

Once again, we appreciate your kind comments of our resort and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Everything was excellent from check-in to check-out! Awesome location, first rate staff. The place was spotless as can be for a resort. The food and beverages were outstanding to say the least. Would be happy to make a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear jeffreyabonner,

It was a pleasure to be your host. We are always looking for the best as you may know.

For your returning trip, feel free to contact us prior your arrival in case you have a special request or just to let us know you are coming.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have never left a review on trip advisor before, but after staying here i felt it deserved a full round up it was that amazing.

I travelled from London for a 2 week break with my parents and brother, we stepped out of our taxi from the airport after a 10 hour flight to be greeted with cold towels and a glass of champagne or water, taken straight to the front desk and with a little confusion with our rooms the manager graciously sorted us with an upgrade, ( this was not the hotels fault, but that of our travel agent, however the manager could see we were unhappy and fixed the problem himself and upgraded us, this service went above and beyond what we expected. )

Rooms:
The room was very spacious, a large king bed, sofa area and balcony with another sofa looking over 1 of many pools. The bathroom area has 2 sinks, a jacuzzi tub and a shower room big enough to have a party in! all finished with products ranging from soaps, toothpaste and suncream to cosmetic packs and creams. With one clean in the morning and a turn down service later in the evening with a leaflet of the next days actives left on the bedside to plan your day.

Pools:
I believe there are 8 swimming pools, however i only sampled 2! The main pool with a swim up bar and where most actives were and the infinity pool ( this was a lot cooler than the main one so was very refreshing ). We went in the heat of summer where the hotel was at full capacity, but you could come down at any time of the day at any pool and ALWAYS find free sunbeds, no saving as it was so easy to get a good spot at any time of the day! This took away stress of fighting for sunbeds! Waiters and waitress were always available for a drink around the pool and even came round with water at exceptionally hot occasions without asking.

Spa:
The spa was a perfect relaxation place, and there were always deals to save a little money on your massages or treatments! The massage i had by Patty was amazing, i would have gone back everyday if i could! The spa facilites were top quality with a relaxation area, waterbeds, sauna, steam jacuzzi, plunge pool and outside pool with jets and relaxation beds. i would advise a visit just to unwind that little bit more!

Entertainment:
What can i say, I have been to many hotels and this team are the best team i have ever found, and doubt ill find better! All day they have energy, a smile on their faces and interact with everyone, Once you told them your name they would remember it for the remainder of your holiday a little touch that gives you a sense of comfort! All day there is something new to do actives for all kinds of people from active volleyball and zumba to kitchen tours, tequila tasting ( Mexican water ) or bingo, there is something for everyone, just dont forget the Crazy game each day at 3! ( you might win a tshirt or 3...) From the day time you saw them at night before the main show and after mixing with the guests. They MADE the holiday, without them we wouldn't have had half the fun! A very special thank you to:
Jackie
Johnny
Nico
Moreno
Luis
Adrian
You all need a special praise about your hard work!
I would advise you all to take the Hotel organised trip to Coco Bongo, a nightclub in cancun but one like you've never experienced! with travel there and back and all drinks in the club covered in one fee it'd be silly not to go. its a bargin as paying to do all of these separately would cost a bomb! but the hotel have an amazing deal, so go!

Restaurants:
We were luckily enough to stay for 2 weeks and were able to sample all the restaurants, all of which were outstanding, i must point out, i have a long list of food allergies and its not always easy to cater to me, however before i even sat down to eat i was reassured they knew of my allergies and would cater to my needs, i mentioned while checking in of my allergies and from then on it seemed all restaurants knew and i had a delicious meal at all times of the day to fit around my dietary requirements, something i was worried about but it turned out to be a hassle free experience! Victor in the World cafe in the mornings was amazing, remembering all our drink orders before we even sat down! Gisel who showed us to our seats in the morning was outstanding remembering our room numbers and names without a prompt and always a smile on her face. You cannot leave without trying the Aztec souflée in El Patio, it was to die for!

As a non drinker there were ample amount of soft drinks available and if you fancied a cocktail they would always make you a 'virgin' one even if you knew what you wanted they would always fix you it.
This was an amazing hotel and i would go back in a heartbeat! i could not fault anything, it was always clean, all staff were so helpful and always an activity to keep you entertained.
I wouldn't even look at any other hotels in Cancun as this is the one for you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Chlochlo04

Dear Chloclo04,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed overview of your stay through this mean. Our guest’s feedback is truly appreciated in our constant commitment to improve our service levels.

We are glad to know that you’ve enjoyed the suite amenities we provide for your entire vacation.
We are also delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed the facilities and the food that we serve in all of our restaurants.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and thank you also for your patronage of Secrets Silversands. Our team looks forward to having you back in a not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#6 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!