“Great Rooms & Pool” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Great Rooms & Pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

I have never written a review on tripadvisor before but I was so put off by all the bad reviews I felt compelled to put one up. I think a little information about myself is important first because we all try to size up the reviewer to see how we align. I put up my travel information in a broad way on my map. The important information that is not included is that I studied at the University of Belgrano in Buenos Aires for a year as an undergraduate. I've worked in Paraguay for 2 months and done two seperate business trips of 2 months each in Mexico and vacationed there for probably ten individual weeks total. Also I've been to Paris at least six times and spent six month in South Western France. This information isn't put here to brag - it's to say that I have lived abroad under various conditions and have probably a higher tolerance than say a honeymooner leaving the US for the first time. The rest of my review will be about the Mayan Riviera and the problems that people perceive:

Arrival/Departure: Cancun Airport: it's gotten a lot better but still expect stress (most of it is actually unwarranted - you will get to your hotel). However if you get up at 3:30 A.M. on the East Coast after sleeping for 2 hours as I did New Year's - I was a total bear. I factored this in. One way to alleviate stress is to fly first class (I used miles) and arrange private transfer. I like USA Excursions. However I have probably used most of the companies. They are all fine. Leaving Cancun is also a hassle because the system is set up for you to spend money and time in Cancun airport. Factor this in and have a few drinks and you will be fine. The lines are a lot shorter now. The chaos of the aiport colors peoples impressions. Personally I hate the aiport but I go back every year because the overall experience is worth it.

Secrets Silversands: this particular hotel clearly had some problems. I'm not here to dismiss other reviewers. However I have stayed at 4 Riu Palaces, Excellence Riviera Cancun (four nights on this very trip), Secrets Capri, Hotel Basico and various other hotels all over Mexico. First the large scale problems at Silversands have been solved. The General Manager and all the other Department Managers are all available. Look for white shirts. But a good place to start is with the waiter or bartender - if you can speak Spanish and you are polite you can get anything you want. If you cannot speak Spanish just be polite and friendly in English. This will also get you anything you want. Alvarino - he does set up and break down at the two restaurants at the main pool that serve lunch is a great guy. Be very polite and friendly to him. He will make you anything you want - within the menu - for example you just want shrimp cocktail - hold the oysters - you want it spicy - not sweet and so on. How about just rice, fish and vegetables? So what I am trying to say is you can tailor the food and beverage experience. I drink tequila with a little lime juice - I find margaritas too sweet. For example if all you do is load up on greasy food and drink candy drinks all day - you will be sick - this is not the problem of the resort. You have done this to yourself. If you are deathly ill and running a fever this is food poisioning.

As far as tipping - I tip a lot. People find this objectional but in traditional Mexico at the bus station you tip the attendant in the bathroom for keeping it clean. It's a form of respect but also it breaks down the barrier between you and the staff. It puts them at ease. The economy is slow down there - take a walk down to Azul Blue - left on the beach - past Desire's - nude resort. You will see some sleepy hotels as you go. Also this particular stretch - puerto moreles - is sleepy period - Excellence Riviera Cancun is visible to the right. You need the hotel zone or Playa del Carmen - my aforementioned Hotel Basico is a great place to blow yourself up on all night action.

Odors/Tap Water/Infrastructure: These problems are common to all these hotels. The sulfur smell in the water is part of the decontamination process. It is safe to drink but drink the bottled water. Bring some sort of bath salts for the tub. The waste water plant is on site so if the wind blows the wrong way - you will get a whiff at many hotels. The plumbing ventilation process has problems at most hotels. Some places in Cabo burn coal. Take all this in stride. Are you really going to Mexico to evaluate infrastructure?

This particular beach is hard packed and great for running and walking. Plenty of guests spent the day on it. However if you are a hardcore beach person go to Maroma or Tulum. Do your research. I was in Playacar back when there was a beach and it was obviously beautiful. We returned years later and the beach was full of those giant bags of black sand. We had a ton of fun jumping off them and getting knocked off them with people by the waves. A bad beach vacation was in fact very fun and memorable.

The positives on Silversands: We had a great time. Our room was upgraded to an ocean front swim out. I loved the rooms, the internet acess and the design of the place. The pools were beautiful. I did not find them cold. It was like having our own boutique hotel for four nights. The staff that runs Barracuda - Amanda - hola muneca- , Javier, Pedro - sorry guys if you read this - I can't remember all your names but you were a ton of fun. The Entertainment guys are hilarious.

I hope this puts your mind at ease abut this hotel and taking a vacation to the Cancun area.

• Liked — Staff, Pool, Rooms, in that order
  • Disliked — A la Carte dinners - too much bother after drinking all day
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
13 Thank barbero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,988)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

Just returned from four fantastic days at Secrets Silversands. Let me start off by saying that we've been to numerous resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, including Secrets Capri twice. Like others who frequent this site, we were quite concerned when we read the negative reviews that had been posted--mostly, we were struck by the disparity of them. We still are, especially as during our time at Silversands we spoke to many others staying at the resort who were having as positive experience as us. That being said, on to the review!

Check In
We arrived around noon and were whisked away to the Preferred Club for check in, where we were greeted by a cool towel, a glass of champagne, and a welcoming staff member named Cindy. We were quite pleased when she informed us that our room was ready. We were escorted to our oceanview room in building number four, which was a great location. We had requested an upper-level floor and were happy to find ourselves on the top (fourth) floor.

Accommodations
The room was incredible. Definitely ranks in the top five rooms in which I've stayed, and I travel quite a bit for work and for pleasure. I love the aesthetic at Silversands--clean lines, cool colors, very chic. No terra cotta here! (not that terra cotta is bad!) The balcony overlooked one of the pools and out to the ocean. We enjoyed many a mimosa there! Fabulous bathroom with two-person jacuzzi, rainshower head and handheld shower, bowl sinks...the works.

Silversands really shined in this area. From the poolside service to the Entertainment staff to maid service, they exceeded our expectations. Never waited for a drink, at the pool or at the bars. Our room was always made up by the time we returned in the afternoon. Minibar refilled with requested drinks. Room service was on-time or a few minutes early (and the tortilla soup was good AND hot!) Wait service at the restaurants was consistently good, especially professional at Bordeaux. Entertainment staff was politely insistent, but quite charming. General manager greeted us poolside and asked for feedback, acknowledging that the resort got off to a rocky start. I feel that whatever issues existed at the time have been resolved. Basically, we felt that we were treated very well by all those with whom we came in contact.

Miscellaneous
Pools--lots of discussion of the pools, both on TA and at the resort. Currently, the pools are not heated. I could see if it were 70 degree weather, or if you like a warm pool, how this could be a major point of contention. Luckily, it was 85 and sunny our entire trip, so a cool pool was a welcome respite for us. Some are warmer than others, depending on size, so that is something to consider.

Beach--same as pools. Not as great as Magens Bay, but I've seen worse. If nothing else, they are so diligent about gathering up the seaweed that has washed on shore.

Bugs--They lllove me and my sweet disposition. Was bitten three times without protection, not at all after applying organic repellant. No bugs in room.

Food--Thought it was on par/slightly superior to most other AIs we've stayed. We ate everything from ceviche and sushi to nachos and fries, as well as fresh fruit and salads, and experienced no gastrointestinal problems. No evidence of anyone else falling ill while we were there.

Summary
We had a truly lovely time at Silversands. As I mentioned (and the GM acknowledged), I think they experienced some difficulties upon opening, as all resorts do. But our stay was fantastic and we hope to experience Silversands again.

• Liked — Too much from which to choose!
  • Disliked — Probably the beach.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank HRHSMS
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

I traveled to Silversands during the week of December 17th with my family. We had a WONDERFUL time!!! Again, the reviews made me quite nervous prior to my visit. However, our trip could not of been more of a pleasure (common word used at the resort - it’s a pleasure). Talking with many of the guests at the pool, they had raving reviews as we did. We were joking that people must want to keep this resort a hidden treasure; therefore, they are blogging bad reviews to keep the crowds away.

I am a fairly well versed traveler and Silversands exceeded my expectations. As for the Secrets family, I have visited Capri six times (another fabulous resort) and Dreams Cabo. Each resort has a different flair and uniqueness. Silversands is fitting for one who wants the ultimate in relaxation, great service, and enjoys a contemporary design. This is not a good option for those wanting a “party” scene or lots of action. The resort is very zen like with many relaxing touches and elegance.

The rooms are very sophisticated and clean. I ordered room service one morning and it was to me in less than 20 minutes. The food I found to be outstanding! The biggest highlight to our dinning experience was the SERVICE. We felt like Queens and Kings. The staff really goes out of their way with full sincerity to make sure everything meets your expectations. The management is wonderful and very responsive to any issues you might have. Yes, the pool is a little chilly (for about 30 seconds)- then it is at a refreshing temperature (however, the coolness is only temporary as they await their heater). The beach is fine- I enjoyed wonderful walks (beware a few resorts down does make for a very “colorful and entertaining” walk). The spa is very relaxing; however, you can only apply $40 to your service max if you have a credit voucher.

Cheers to the Silversands team for making our stay a very special and memorable family trip!!! I hope your future stay mirrors ours and enjoy!!!

• Liked — Service, Food, overall experience!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelFabulous09
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

Spent 7 nights at this resort from 12-25 until 1-1-09. Rooms were beautiful. Hotel only 15-20% capacity. We went on what was called the apple vacation 6 square deal. It was very expensive for what you received and I would not recommend anyone do this. We did it because the travel agent told us it was a great deal and was very luxurious. The hotel itself is only 4months old. The food and beverage selection is horrible. We had one decent meal in the "Portofino" Italian restaurant. It was also very amazing to us that during the time of our stay we never saw the general manager or director once time. The employees stated he stayed in this office. With this capacity you would think he would be out talking to guest and getting opinions. The spa is very very pricey. It is at least double what you would pay here in the states. We spent a lot of money to be very disappointed. The only positive was the room ( beautiful) and there were several employees that were really helpful and friendly. Please keep in mind this is only our review and everyones taste and expectations are different but I would think seriously about spending this much money on what you get in return. I would not visit again or recommend to a family member or friend.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Food and wine selection
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank shopper5
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

My husband and I spent December 10-17th at Secrets Silversands. We booked through Cheap Caribbean and had no problems with the company. When we arrived, they gave us wet towels and a glass of champagne. Took our bags out along with another couple and we had a seat in the lobby until we checked in (about a minute – not long enough to finish the chocolate chip cookie they gave us). We new the capacity was down and asked for a better room than we booked. They gave us an ocean view room instead of a garden view room. No tipping required. When they took us to our room, the bellboy described the place and his favorite things about the hotel.

Shortly after we got into our room, a room service attendant came with more champagne and fruit. Set it up nicely. We unpacked and headed out to explore.

Every night, a sheet is placed in your room with turndown service. This tells you what times events happen (yoga, bingo, volleyball, various tournaments, tastings, etc.). Every day two restaurants are closed for supper, it tells you what is open. It has a spa special of the day and an Avis car rental special of the day, too.

The room was beautiful. Never found any bugs or spiders as reported on here. They do an excellent job of cleaning. We had a male room attendant (I know some people bring things for the maid, guessing it's a female... so just be aware it could be a guy). There are two shower heads. You can block off the bathroom from the rest of the room with sliding doors. The AC turns off when you open the screen door. There are a lot of English TV channels. If you ask for an ethernet cable for your laptop in your room, you'll get it at no extra charge. My husband had a teleconference for work (ugh!) and he got this cable for free. Otherwise, leave your laptop at home and use the computers next to the concierge area for free. We left out our phone, laptop, personal things and nothing was ever touched more than to straighten it. There is a safe where you can create your own code. It won't hold a laptop, though.

Room service wasn’t piping hot, but it’s was cool either. It didn’t take long to get to the room once you order, either. The minibar includes Corona, OJ, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Orange Fanta and bottles of Secrets water. They restock this every day. And if you want more of something, just leave them a note.

The service at the pool and the beach was amazing. It was as if as soon as we got settled in our chair, they were right there to ask if we needed something to drink or eat. And if they didn’t have it at the bar, they’d go into the restaurant to get what you want. They offered me hot tea on a cool day. And I thought it was a great idea, then I watched the waiter speed walk inside to get it. Sometimes they’d just bring us fun drinks to try without even ordering them. You can also get food here if you want. They have menus in their pockets. Do get up and go to the outdoor restaurant for lunch a few times.

Every restaurant was very nice. Complaints about small portions are not warranted. Order more if you’re not satisfied! For example, my husband ordered an appetizer that maybe had two bites worth of food. Just get something else or another one. People we met said when they said they’d share an appetizer, the waiter brought out extra food anyway. They definitely have enough food to feed you until you can’t walk!

Make sure you do the Japanese restaurant where you sit at the Hibachi grill. The more you egg on the cook, the more tricks he’ll do. Our guy really got into it because we were rowdy with him and he loved it. Could tell he likes his job. For this, you do have to check in with the hostess to set up a time. Every hour on the :30. We met up with some people we met at the resort and set up a time to go to eat with them.

There are several wines included. They had a wine tasting to try them all. They also have wines not included. They have a huge temperature-controlled wine room. Ask to go inside and check it out. Pretty neat.

The entertainment staff works hard to make sure you have a good time. They were always playing in the pool with people, bingo at the beach bar, or just chatting with people at the bar. If you’re sitting around and something is about to happen, they’ll come by and tell you. It’s not high-pressure or annoying, but it’s nice to know something is about to happen and they welcome you to join. They dance at night when the bands are outside or inside. I think they work really hard and long days.

The spa was good. We did a deal in the flyer you get in the room. It was a couples massage with a body scrub. It was great. My husband got a lady that was kind of rough. Met a few other guys who had her, too.  I also got a pedicure there, which I wasn’t too crazy about for what I paid. So just stick with massages. I get better at home for $20 honestly.

The beach, as mentioned, is rocky. So take some water shoes if you plan on walking around in it. You can walk freely up and down the beach. When you are looking at the water, head to your left. There is better beach that way. Saw lots of people with their blue Silversands towels over that way, too. Speaking of towels, no towel card to keep track of! Take as many as you want to your chair.

Take some bug spray. Pretty sure it happened at night. You’re in the middle of a marshy, swampy, jungle-y place. Be prepared and you’ll be fine. It was cool at night, so make sure you bring more than one long-sleeved shirt. I would wear summer-wear to dinner, then change after dinner into a hoodie (all I had!) because I was so cold. Had been before this time and checked online before we left, but it was too cool at night.

Vendors by the pool are aggressive. We did buy something, were comfortable with the price. But then went to the gift shop and priced there and thought we can get almost the same thing here for a little less. So we haggled the next day with the guy when he came back with the rings and to collect the other half of the money. He lowered below the gift shop. So just be sure to price the gift shops first obviously. It was our first night and we were excited, so we didn’t do it… The gift shop with all the jewelry and pottery stuff only takes cash, NO credit cards. Not sure if they have plans for the future.

There is a man who sells cigars in the lobby at night. He is very knowledgeable about them and can suggest one for you based on what you describe to him. One night he closed down and my husband and others wanted a cigar. Rodolfo (I think he’s a manager?) heard from a bartender. He sent a bellboy to the next town over to get some for the boy. Came back with four cigars for $20 for them. Which the boys thought was a good deal. Can’t get that customer service in the States.

We did tip here and there for excellent service. Not every time. I know it’s all inclusive and all, but they really went out of their way to show us a good time. When we didn’t tip, we got fine service as well. It didn’t really matter. We had some $2 bills which they loved, and consider to be lucky.

All in all we had a great time. We didn’t leave the resort to do any excursions. I know this is long and I’m sure I’m leaving a lot of information out, if you have questions, just message me. The only thing I have to compare it to is Aventura Spa Palace, which I also loved. They are very similar in food, service, etc. I would’ve liked to be able to have excursions included and stay at one play at all at Silversands, but we really didn’t have time to do much else. We stayed pretty busy right on the property every day. Also, you don’t have to wear an armband at Secrets.

Hope you have fun at Secrets Silversands. It’s a great choice. I’m frustrated with the mounds of negative reviews. It really isn’t a horrible place to go!!! I was very upset/worried/concerned before we left. I thought I made the wrong choice. But we were very happy with everything there. We liked it just as much as the Palace resorts.

• Liked — Got a good deal online, service was out of this world, the other guests were friendly, good drinks, good food.
  • Disliked — Wish it had free shuttle to sister resorts or included excursions like Palace resorts.
13 Thank gohuskers
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed at this resort for 1 week Dec. 18 - 25 and were really impressed and can't understand why anyone could be negative on anything. The service was great, food awesome and the rooms were breathtaking.

There was a few mosquitoes but no more than you would get at home in the summer.

Our room was cleaned twice daily and we were given an upgrade on arrival which really impressed us. Rose petals on the bed at night time.

The pools were a little cool but the weather was beautiful everyday so it was nice to actually get cooled off. We loved being able to float in the pool on the lounges provided. This definately was an upgrade.

They provided lots of daily activities such as yogo, water fitness, pool or beach volleyball, spanish and dance lessons. They staff really tried to provided a variety of activities. There was also nightly enteraintment.

We really enjoyed being able to try the different restaurants each evening and would consider them "fine" dinning. Service was great and staff was very friendly. You never felt like you had to tip.

I was surprised at the beach because of some negative comments but it was great. Many staff were there for hours making sure any weeds were cleaned up and you could walk for a very long way.

I felt everything was great at this resort and would definately recommend it and would love to go back.

• Liked — Service - friendly and alway accommadating
  • Disliked — Liked everything - great resort
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank Ruthm75
southern Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

My wife and I stayed 7 nights from the 22nd through the 29th of december.The room,grounds,and beach was beautiful.The food was good everywhere we ate.The people were nice (at least to your face).Service was questionable.

After the third day they quit stocking our room, and after the fourth day they quit cleaning it! We had to call every day and ask for the room to be cleaned or restocked! Every time you complane they allways give you a blank stare like they think you'r lying to them!

On the fith night we ask them to clean our room while we went to dinner at 7:00. We went back to the room about 8:30 and it still wasn't cleaned,so we went back down to the bar and then to the show.We returned about 10:30 and finally the room wes clean (BUT!!!) There was a strange pair of womans shoes on the table by the televison!We found a person from house keeping and told them that the woman who cleaned our room must have left her shoes in our room.(The only explanaiton we could come up with)
This person said "NO" and basicly turned and ran! Then we took the shoes to the concierge and told them, and got the same blank stare! (Still don't know what was up with that ! ! )

Now to the tiping part ! My wife and I like all inclusive resorts for the fact that gratuities are included an we can lock up our wallets and forget about paying for everything.We've stayed at two different sandles, a couples and secrets capri: so we're not new to this.
We have noticed people still tip at these resorts but it never effected the service,at least at the other resorts we've stayed at!
And what we've seen at silver sands is thet you'll get great service if you tip.If not you'll be treated like you'r wasting their time,You'll get the wrong or weak drinks,Maybe your room wont get stocked or cleaned.Word gets around about who tips and who dosen't ! We watched a couple who tiped get asked for drinks 7 times in one hour while we were sitting about 15 feet away and was only ask once! At one resteraunt a waiter pawned us off to a new waiter (trainee) because he knew we wern't tippers! If you'r a tipper and want to spend couple hundred bucks extra on your vacation this is the place for you !

I don't want you to think I'm a cheap skate: I do tip and tip good for the people who work for tips! But gratuities included means
you payed up front and you don't have to worry about carrying
money. All Inclusive means that all the restaurants, bars, beach, pools, activites, and entertainment are right there for you so you don't have to go anywhere. And we usually don't!

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — activites
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,569 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!