“AMAZING Vacation & Resort! Can't Wait To Go Back!!!”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Warminster, Pennsylvania
“AMAZING Vacation & Resort! Can't Wait To Go Back!!!”
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I just returned from this resort, my best friend and I stayed there from Thursday February 3rd to Tuesday February 8th, it was AMAZING, we already can't wait to go back!

So I guess i'll start with check in: We arrived at the hotel about an hour before check in, when our van transfer pulled up we were greeted as soon as we stepped out of the van by a very nice concierge who had cold towels for us, we were adjusting to the heat since we came from 20 degree weather, so the towel was wonderful! He took our luggage and walked us inside and over to one of the front desk girls, I really liked how instead of one big front desk there are four individual desks, it was much more personal. Ana helped us check in and she was super friendly and very helpful, we decided on our own to upgrade our room, our original room was towards the back of the resort, which i'm sure was fine. But the trip was for my 30th bday and I decided that I wanted Ocean Front :) And once we got to our room we realized how worth it the upgrade was, we had a 4th floor Ocean Front room and omg the view was just unbelieveable!

The room: The room was amazing! Super clean, super comfortable and most of the time the AC worked fine, there were a few days where it felt more humid inside than it should have been, but I think it's just the type of AC units that they use, they don't seem to have a compressor like here in the US, where the humidity is taken out right away. Other than that the room was perfect! The mini bar was awesome, fully stocked every day, and they also left us candy bars and these roasted peanuts in a blue bag, omg they were delicious! The shower was so great too, it was huge and I loved the rain shower. They also left a lot of goodies to use: shampoo, conditioner, tooth paste, tooth brush, lotion, sunscreen, shoe polish, shower cap and more. I also loved the flyer that was left each day with the next days weather, drink of the day, and that nights entertainment, that was very helpful.

I'll move onto the food now: The food was absolutely delicious and none of it made either of us sick. The only place that made us have slight stomach aches was the Mexican restaurant BUT we both don't eat too much spicy stuff so I think that was the problem. The Italian restaurant was by far my favorite, we went twice because it was so good! Definitely get the bruchetta, caprese salad and the pasta with the mushroom sauce, SUPER delicious! We had the breakfast buffet every morning and we ate at the out door restaurants for lunch every day, all was delicious!

The service: Everyone that we encountered at this resort was so nice and accomodating, weather it was a bar tender (Alex the Great was our favorite!), waiters or managers, they were all very hospitable and helpful. And I have to point out that they were all extremely hard working and aiming to please, they are on their feet all day getting us drinks, towels, anything we asked for so we kept tipping them because they really deserved and appreciated it. We had to wait about 15 minutes for our room to be ready after check in, since we upgraded, so we sat outside at the veranda bar where we met Alex the Great. He made us a few delicious pina coladas and we asked for some "yummy shots", he made us a Donkey Semen (I know, I know, horrible name haha) shot and oh my gosh it was delicious! It was pina colada and some kind of coffee and chocloate liquor, definitely better tasting than how the name sounds hehe, I highly reccomend this shot if you like sweets! Also, there was sort of an issue during our stay, when we reported it Ana and the manager took care of it almost right away and the problem was solved, I was very appreciative of their prompt response to this issue.

The pools/beach/resort grounds: Well unfortunately the reviews on the beach were true for the most part. The beach itself wasn't as "narrow" as everyone said, it was actually nice not having a huge long beach, the short walk to the water was wonderful. The water was very clear and clean and they were constantly cleaning up the sea grass that kept washing up. The sea grass grows in the shallow parts right there so that can't be helped, and honestly it's just sea grass, not a huge issue. We did see the rocks and some of the coral, which was actually very pretty to look at, just had to be careful on it, definitely bring water shoes. We didn't really swim out though, because like other ppl said, it stays very shallow and you'd have to really walk out far to get to the deep water, i'm not even sure they would let you get out that far. We did take the Catamaran ride out and that was beautiful, you could see the reef and some fish, the water out that far was a beautiful emerald green color and so warm!
The pools were amazing! They were kept spotless except for a little sand, but everyone comes off the beach and into the pools so that's expected, but we saw them being cleaned every single morning. The infiniti pool is definitely one to spend some time in just taking in the amazing view. We spent most of our time in the pool directly below our room, which was room 3428. You did have to snag a lounge chair pretty early, that was the only annoying aspect of this resort ... they really do need to purchase a lot more of them to accomodate everyone.
The hot tubs weren't very hot, but in my opinion when it's 84 and sunny out i'm not looking for water above 75-80 degrees, because to me it's not even refreshing then. We went in the hot tub after dark one night and it was a little chilly but fine if you stayed under the water.
The grounds themself were beautiful, well-landscaped and kept spotless. The palm trees were plentiful and we loved the loud black birds and the crane's that seemed to be everywhere, they were amusing!

Entertainment: I don't have too mucht o say about this other than it was really nice, they had live bands and games and fun stuff every night around the veranda bar. We had a good time each night no matter what they had. Also, they put on a wonderful show for the SuperBowl, I'm not a football fan at all but everyone else there seemed to be and loved it! They had a huge buffet for it along with enough chairs for everyone to sit in and view the game, which the projected onto the side of the building, it was pretty neat. They definitely know how to throw a party at SSS!

And last but not least, the guests: I found the age mix at this resort to be perfect. Being almost 30 i'm over my wild party days but not at all interested in complete quiet. There was just enough music during the day and night, it never got too loud or annoying and it seemed to stop at just the right times. We got to meet a lot of nice ppl that we eneded up hanging out with, all different age ranges, so that was nice.
The only thing that I noticed that really got on my nerves was the amount of guests that would just leave their empty drink glasses laying all over the beach or by the pools. I understand that the waiters kept bringing drinks but that doesn't mean just leave the emptys on the ground, those guests obviously weren't raised with the same manners that I was raised with ... because we had no problem giving the waiters our empty glasses or walking them over to one of the bars ourselves. Same with the towels, they were left wet all over the beach and the chairs, is it that hard to take it with you when you get up and place it in the provided dirty towel bins, which were ALL over the resort? This was unexpected at an adult only resort, most adults have better manners. Whenever we returned the towels or glasses to the bar, the employees were so thankful, I felt so bad that at the end of the day they had to walk around the entire resort picking up peoples wet towels and empty glasses and trash.

One last thing, if you have been to Mexico and haven't been to Xel-Ha I strongly suggest going if you love to swim and snorkel, i've been there twice now and love it! It's so much fun and so worth the money!

So as you can read, overall, this resort rocked and was beautiful and amazing. I honestly can't wait to return! For what I paid for this trip I feel like I got everything and MORE that I paid for. Secrets knows how to show you a good time in paradise!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,084)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Overall we had an amazing week! This resort really goes above and beyond to deliver amazing service!
In short

Favorites
Best Food Ever!!! Great Entertainment Team, Beautiful clean rooms - jacuzzi and shower, Room service 24hrs- usually didn't taker longer then 15-20min (we ordered something almost every day), Partial Ocean view gave a beautiful view of the ocean, for my birthday my boyfriend arranged a private dinner on the beach and it was amazing!!

Complaints - just a few
Check in was a bit disorganized, we arrived 15 minutes prior to check in and room was not ready, this was surprising! Not enough chairs at main pool and beach, although we somehow always managed to scrounge something up. Bar tenders were not overly friendly - based on previous vacations the bartenders were always partying along with you having a great time, the bar tenders here are much more tame and professional. Hot tub is not very hot.

Truth about some other complaints
The beach: its beautiful with nice white sand. As for the rocks - You can easily wade in the water however to get to the deeper areas to swim you have to walk over rocks and coral. We brought water shoes and were able to get to a swimable area with no problem. We also walked down the beach to a more swimable area.
Smell - we were in building 4 and did not experience any funky smells accept for one evening after it rained, pretty typical.
Water in bath tub was a bit brown at first but after 10-20seconds it runs clear.
Pool water is perfect temperature to be refreshing but not too cold.

Overall I would highly recommend, particularly for couples.

2 Thank jenindisney
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Hotel- The room was nice and clean, but, it had a musty smell and the sheets smelled musty too. We asked the concierge to change our room but they told us they were full, although, the resort didn't look full at all. We talked to other guest, one couple had mold in the bed and they did get their room changed. They were not accommodating.

The wait staff was great. But here, the staffs are very accommodating. We felt very pampered and welcome. We did tip a few here and there because of their hard work.

Warning---Do not add transportation to your vacation package. It’s a waste of your time and money. The taxi from the airport round-trip is the same price... perhaps, it's may be more convenience. I booked mine through Cheap Caribbean and added Olympus round-trip transportation. Anyhow, on the last day when I checked out, I was told our transportation has left. Left??? Olympus never informs me about the time of pick up... Yet, they were very clear with me about them not able to give any refund. I had to pay another $40 to take the taxi to the airport. What a great way to end my ALL-INCLUSIVE vacation.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vietbabieblu
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Lois on the Patio restaurant server, Mexican, spoke ill of us is Spanish, we understood Spanish but did not say anything. not be so accrued, many people understand Spanish and that's not fair. I could hear everything he said but did not understand that means "pioho. " however the service was better elsewhere, the waiter Jose was exellent in the coffee world.
on the other side the beach was less disappointing than I expected, so I'll be back to the hotel Exellence.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 February 2011

We have previously stayed with Secrets at Wild Orchid, we loved the brand. This hotel did not disappoint, great staff, better then SWO, food was good, drinks and brand of drinks better. Beach leaves something to be desired but hey, that's ok, snorkeling was good. Nice layout and rooms were comfortable but a queen bed there is not what a queen bed is in the states, more like a double. All in all we loved our stay and would have continued our run with Secrets. But, let's discuss the issues:

Checking in, had to wait, that's fine, didn't do this before, but ok. Waited and got checked in, on our way to the room the concierge stopped us to see if we needed anything and to determine if we got our resort coupons. Great, we needed to set up a reservation for a restaurant we know and found out we can use the coupons for our upgrade and the spa. Well, the condierge offered us a trip to Secrets Meroma to see the resort because it is new and get a free spa certificate for going. Great we asked, what's the catch, nothing we are told, it's something we are offering to returning customers. We ask is there a sales pitch, "oh no, no sales pitch, no time share", we are happy after asking several other questions to confirm, no sales, no strings, too good to be true, but we are promised. Well, the next morning, we get up early and dress for breakfast so we are ready for our trip to SMB, then my husband notices the small print on the back of the paper they gave us for our trip says it is a time share. They promised us it was not a time share. We luckly were able to cancel before going and that alone was not easy, they followed us down the stairs telling us it's so great and we should go. Later we found another couple that went and were stuck there for over 6 hours fighting the time share people! So glad we didn't go through that!
All in all we enjoyed our trip, farther from town but we know the area, as we have traveled here before and loved it. So we took cabs, more expensive from the location, to the areas we know and enjoyed ourselves. If you go you should go to Harry's, a restaurant in Cancun and worth the trip, we have traveled back there just to go there and Isla Mujeres.
The worst part of the trip was the E coli posioning. If you are reading this I am sure you have already read many other posts about the E Coli, we got it and it was the worst we have ever gone through. My husband and I travel to other countries and have never been through anything like this before. Just google what happens if you get it, I will spare you the details. The resort refusused to admit any fault and denied any fault. If they would have acknowledged an issue, which they would not do for over two weeks, we would still be loyal customers but they did not. We have not, nor will we, ask for anything from the resort as we understand these things can happen, we just ask that it not be ignored or blamed on the guests. We are no longer guests of the Secrets brand or any other of their sister brands due to the lack of response to the E Coli issue.

1 Thank darkes04
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
Dear Mrs. Darkes,

On behalf of Secrets Silversands Management and staff we thank you for taking the time to share your overview on us. We always appreciate our guests comments since this are a very important feedback that helps us to always look for possibilities of improving our service levels.

We regret to hear that the information from our representatives from Vacation Club was not clear when they approached to you. Please be certain that this is not the way AMResorts properties work and you can be certain that we will use your comments to prevent situations like this occur in the future.

We also appreciate your comments on our Facebook Fan page. We are sad to know that you suffered from stomach problems after a day of departure from our resort. But we are glad to hear that during your stay you have enjoyed our resort and service. It is important to mention that any cases of this matter where reported during the same period of your stay. However, we regret that you have suffered from this I we hope you are feeling much better now.

It is important to mention that we have never denied the situation. We have made two official statements and our General Manager himself had offered a public apology and statement to our guests over Facebook. When we first recognized there was an increase in stomach complaints, we immediately brought in a food and beverage inspection company, recommended by the Mexican Tourism Authority. However we cannot confirm is that this was an E-Coli case, since the tests ran after this process did not show this.

We have addressed the situation the best way as possible. We offered medical assistance as well as medications to our guests at no additional cost. This situation has never been ignored and we have give follow up to each one of the cases. We regret to know that you have felt that this was not addressed properly.

You can be certain that our guests’ safety is our priority and that our resort will continue to take all precautionary measures to avoid any future issues.

We look forward to hosting you at any of our AMResorts properties in the future.

Kind regards,

Zuko Garcia
Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Alexandria, VA USA
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Just returned from a three-night stay at the Silversands. I wanted a quick get away to do nothing other than relax. In other words, didn't care about entertainment, party scene, etc. Silversands met my expectations.

I was welcomed by the cool towel and champagne, and found the check in staff to be excellent. I upgraded to Preferred Club at check in (used the resort coupons that came with my package so it seemed worth it to me). I absolutely loved my room location--ocean front over looking the infinity pool. Gorgeous! The room was very nice--exactly as pictured on the web site. My only suggestion would be that they replace the balcony furniture with lounge chairs. Those couches look nice, but not at all comfortable if you want to sit on the balcony, relax and enjoy the view.

I spent my time at the infinity pool. Much quieter than the main pool and the view from there was amazing. Met other very nice people who appreciated the quieter pool as well.

Went to the spa twice and had outstanding services both times. Hint: ask what the daily special is. The deals were excellent.

Food was good, not great. Highly recommend the sushi bar--the sashimi was wonderful!

I know many reviews say that this resort is not a five star, and they are correct--it's not. But when I think of why it's not a five star, I'd say there are three reasons:

1. The staff to guest ratio. The SSS staff was great and worked very hard -- too hard. The pool waiters were literally running. At a five star the staff would have been doubled--at least--and the price would be higher as a result.

2. The food. It was good but if you're used to dining in fine restaurants, you'll quickly realize that this isn't at that level. I had no problem finding things to eat, and again for the price point it was fine.

3. The guests. I'm sorry but there were a lot of really drunk, loud people at this resort. Just because it's an all inclusive doesn't mean you have to over indulge. Fortunately, they stayed at the main pool (except when they were yelling in the hallways at night). I even saw people taking lounge chairs from the swim out rooms---I couldn't believe it. I've never seen that kind of behavior at the Ritz.

Overall, I would definitely go back for a long weekend and would recommend to a friend. The value for the money was exellent.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank twocoasts
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 February 2011

This was a very relaxing vacation. The service was excellent, as was the food. The staff did everything possible to take care of guests and be sure they had a good time. We booked through cheapcarribean.com, and everything went very smoothly. Olympus tours provided excellent transportation between the airport and resort, even sending a luxury SUV to take us from the resort to the airport. Our driver, Juan Carlos, was very friendly and even called to double-check that he told us the correct way to go after entering the airport to get to check-in.

1 Thank petebon88
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,563 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!