“Great place”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great time. Very nice rooms. Very good restaurants. Buffet are buffets. Great maids. Fun shows wonderful staff. TVs need replacement as speakers are blown. Wonderful bars. Timeshare people are timeshare people. Pushy. We would go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc M
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Marc M,
We are glad to read that you had a great experience at OCT and that you appreciated the comfort of our rooms, the variety in our restaurants and the service of our staff. We want to extend our gratitude for taking the time to post your review. Be sure that we will be pleased to welcome you one more time for your next holidays.
Best regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The resort was really beautiful and fun. It was a great place for families to visit. The food was amazing. Everything was so delicious. As for the drinks, it was really good too. The entertainment staff was a great big help and were very fascinating for the little kids. Ivan Vazques did a great job keeping up with the sports and was very helpful! Kandy Sanher was really fun and helped a lot with the kids. They were both very helpful! Overall our stay at Ocean Coral was amazing and a lot of fun! Hope i can visit again sometime in the future!!

Dear Kemo S,
It is a real pleasure to read your kind comments regarding your stay at our resort and to realize that we have been able provide you with an amazing vacation; furthermore, that all the members of the family had a lot of fun and appreciated our offer. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the work of Ivan and Candy from our entertainment staff, they will be glad to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion. We are looking forward your next stay with us.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife, and three other family members had went last year to a wedding at this resort. Because of work, I was not able to attend the wedding. They had such a great time they wanted to go back this year. Well of course I was not going to miss out this time. I can honestly say this is a dream getaway. I enjoyed myself so much and the staff was A++!! I was introduced to a gentleman that was the bartender at the facility. Needless to say hey became my best friend through the whole hotel stay with a drink called "The International Zombie."(Thanks Orlando) We had a great time at the different restaurants and the staff was very interactive with us.

3  Thank Cliff S

Ear Cliff S,
With reward we learn that due to our performance your family chose once again our resort for your vacations and that on this occasion you had the opportunity to get to know our resort. We are happy to read that we were able to fulfill the expectations of your entire family and that we were able to provide you with an excellent vacation. We want to express our gratitude for sharing your comments on this site and for your preference. We hope to welcome you once again in a near future.
Bests,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We weren't huge fans of the resort and wouldn't recommend it to others. In the past when we've had an ocean view room, it's been a true ocean view. This was an ocean glimpse. Trees were in the way and the ocean was a distance off. Plus, we still had to walk a good way to get to the ocean, unlike other resorts in the past where the ocean was right in front. I truly wouldn't even recommend getting an ocean view here because of the cost and barely being able to see the ocean. Save your money.

Then the ocean, was full of seaweed and was no clearer than the Jersey Shore as a result. But it was gloriously warm! However when you put your feet down you were standing on seaweed, yuck! I was expecting clean, clear Caribbean water... I guess that's my fault for not looking into the ocean more.

The bed was really hard and my husband had a sore back each morning. We ran into someone who recommended we call house keeping and ask for a mattress top, which they did bring quickly when we called and asked and that helped. But it still wasn't a great bed.

The food was nothing special and some of the restaurants we actually found gross. Breakfast was always good, lunch was usually decent, and dinner was horrible to decent... Sadly. One night we went to the Italian restaurant and left after receiving our meals. They were horrible (don't get the ravioli or the pasta with clams, I couldn't even find clams) and the wait staff were too busy running about to care or ask how our dinner was. We went to the buffet instead where we found decent food. Another night, we did enjoy the Mexican restaurant, but we ordered 3 entrees instead of 2 for the 2 of us and one was very bad. How is their bad Mexican food in Mexico!? Even the waiter said he wouldn't recommend that dish, check with your waiter before ordering. Some are too busy to be helpful but others will tell you what is gross.

Another evening when we were at the Caribbean Marina, we actually saw Roman from the wait staff eating French fries off of plates that were going to guests and then he picked food off of the top of someone's pizza and ate that!! (However, the food here was decent...)

Also, my husband got really sick the last 2 days of the vacation. His stomach was a mess and he had a fever. I don't think drinking the water gives fevers, I'm pretty sure that is food poisoning. I did just notice that some other reviews mention a doctor on staff who is helpful. I had no idea that their was a doctor, maybe they should actually let there guests know about him...?

This hotel didn't have a reservation system for dinner unless you were a Privilege Member. Other all inclusive hotels we have stayed at allowed you to make reservations for dinner, but here it is first come, first serve unless you are Privilege. What this meant for us... even if we weren't ready to eat we had to leave the beach by 5 so we could go and clean up. Then get in line by 6 (after and you may not get in for a few hours) at the restaurant of your choosing. If you did arrive too late, you were given a pager and told it would be a certain amount of time and that you can't go to your room because the pagers don't work their. One night we were told 45 min and an hour and a half later they finally let us in. I was starving by then!

We really didn't like this this hotel had different classes of people because members are Privilege. These people have part of the beach roped off for them, have the top shelf liquor, can make reservations, have a restaurant that everyone else can't eat at, etc. We were told at the talk we attended to get $100 credit for the resort (waste of time by the way) that other than buying into the time share you can pay to be Privilege, but it is $60 per person per day. At $120 a day for 2 people, they do a good job of keeping people from paying for it. But we just didn't like that their were the different classes of people.

We did do 2 tours through the marina next door. Carlo was very friendly and helpful and we would absolutely recommend going snorkeling through them. Carlo walks up and down the beach each day and you can go out and talk to him about different tours.

We also loved that they had people who came down to the beach to get you drinks all day. Theresa was our waitress and she was fantastic and so friendly. Even though the ocean was full of seaweed, we still loved to relax down their and were able to get a hut each day by going down before breakfast and putting our towels out. They really don't enforce the no putting towels out rule which just encourages everyone to do it, so it must be done if you want a particular spot.

The shows at night were very nice, make sure you see at least the first song of the Lion King!!! It was awesome! The weather was fantastic and we only had a passing thunderstorm once or twice. We did really enjoy our vacation and it was nice and relaxing and what we wanted. Just if we could do it again we would pick a different resort.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting an ocean view, since it will only be an ocean glimpse. Just get a garden vi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsLtraveler
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My Partner and I stayed at this hotel in September 2013 and from our arrival we were absolutely blown away at how gorgeous the hotel was. From the hotel grounds to the rooms, everything was as exactly what we expected.

Rooms;
The rooms are large with massive comfortable beds. Kept extremely clean, we could not thank our cleaner enough. He left the room spotless everyday and even done some towel art on our last few days. We got given an ocean view room which was a bonus.

Pools & Beach;
There is a variety of pools to choose from. We particularly enjoyed the pool with the swim up bar. We saw the pool being cleaned out most mornings which was good. The beach is breath taking. Blue sea, white sands, exactly what we hoped for. There was some seaweed at the beach which is to be expected but this was maintained on a daily basis.

Food:
The food in the main buffet was great. Always a large variety and a different theme every night. The A La Cartes did have a waiting list most nights so we only really ate in the Italian which was good and the American. We loved the American restaurant and the staff in there were very friendly.

Drink:
Drinks were very good. I tried the cocktail of the day some mornings which were always very refreshing however my favourite was a Miami Vice. Highly recommend trying one of these, i basically lived off them for two weeks.

Entertainment:
The entertainment in the hotel was great at nights. The shows were very good however it was the same show every week therefore in week two we had already seen most of them. During the day we sometimes found it hard to find the water activities such as water polo etc but this was probably due to us sitting at the wrong pool that day.

Weather:
This was the only bad thing about our time in Mexico. Of course we went during hurricane season which was not the best idea, but it did rain most days in the two weeks. Some days it would rain all day, resulting in us not being able to enjoy all of the activities the hotel had to offer.

Shops:
The shop in the hotel is extremely over priced. I would not recommend buying anything from there if you don't have to. We went to Playa Del Carmen one evening and bought everything we needed there as it was much much cheaper.

Overall we could not fault the hotel other than the shop, which was not a big deal to us as we just avoided buying anything from there.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Mexico!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor as the views are much better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CherylCrawford
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear CherylCrawford,
We would like to express our gratitude for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay back on September 2013. With reward we learn that you enjoyed our facilities, gastronomy and the great variety in our offer, and also that we were able to provide you with an amazing vacation, despite the weather conditions you encountered during your last stay. Thank you for recommending our resort to the users of this site. We hope to host your next vacations very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just returned from the Ocean Coral and Turquesa on Saturday. The resort itself is beautiful! The grounds are kept up very nicely. We were a group of 9 traveling for my mothers birthday. 6 adults 3 babies (ages 3, 3, and 2). Overall I would say this is a very family friendly resort. After staying at several all inclusive resorts, this was our least favorite though. The service was mediocre at best. The restaurant system is a complete joke. You cannot make reservations unless you are a privileged guest. The Hibachi restaurant in particular was a nightmare to get into. They only allow children in at the 6pm time slot. Two nights we waited for an hour to get into this restaurant at 6pm only to be told it was full, we would have to come back the next night. Our third time we tried, we got there an hour and half early and got in. So if you add that up, 3 1/2 hours of our vacation was spent waiting in line to eat. Fortunately we all got to sit at the same table. In the other restaurants that was not the case. The main buffet was the only one that would/could accommodate our group of 9. All other restaurants we sat far away from each other. 9 is a large group I understand but in my opinion does not seem like a hard request to seat us at one table. All they had to do was move two tables together, but they said they could not do that. In the main buffet the service was again, mediocre. Once we were sat at a table with no silverware we asked for some, they never brought it. I walked to the servers station to ask for some and was rudely told to go sit down they would bring it. At least 5 more minutes went by before someone brought it to us. Several times we would ask for a mimosa and they would never bring one. Water refills were hard to come by as well. Most every day we were given one glass of water the entire meal. Waiters would walk by and not even notice the empty glasses. For someone who drinks a lot of water while eating, this was so frustrating. I will say the service in the specialty restaurants was MUCH better than at the buffet. One server in particular was at the creperie restaurant, "Jose Pool" was what his name tag said, he was great! We received the best service from him. If you go to this restaurant be sure to ask for the flaming coffee! The service around the pools was better than the service in the buffets, but it was pretty slow. The chemicals in the pool also turned any of my bathing suits with white on them a shade of yellow. I have treated them twice now, and the yellow color will not come completely out. The beach is pretty but is covered in seaweed pretty heavily. They do their best to keep it cleared out as much as possible, they do try very hard, but it's just the area in which the resort is located.
I read reviews on this hotel over and over before we came, many said the same thing about the restaurants so we half way expected going into the trip this may be an issue. My big question on booking this trip was "should we go privileged?" My answer to that now after going is no, its not really worth it. You get reservations at restaurants and top shelf liquor and access to a few more little private bars/places to eat. If you are willing to pay that money to be a privileged guest, just go to a nicer resort where all of that is included anyways. I just do not see the worth in it.
All in all we had am amazing time, you cannot complain too much it's vacation! We probably won't ever return to this resort but we did have a nice time overall, mainly because we got 7 days in the sun with family and no work! You cannot beat that. We have just experienced much better service at other resorts. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message! I would be happy to answer anything you may want to know!

12  Thank MrsMissyCox
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My Fiance and I stayed here June 17- 24, 2014 and had an absolutely FABULOUS time!! I spent months reviewing the Forums here on Trip Advisor and reading up as much as possible about the resort. We are so glad that we did chose this resort and we were not disappointed at all. I really do wonder about some of the reviewers that have said this was a horrible place and commented that the food was horrible and they had a horrible time. WOW.. these must be some extremely picky people and I am so glad we did not listen to any of those reviews when deciding on this resort.

Of course no resort is absolutely perfect and there were things here at the resort that I hope they change in the future and I will comment on them, but did those little things make our trip any less wonderful?? No they did not, and if it were not for the fact this resort is 2 miles from the main road where public transportation can be found I would probably stay here again on another trip to the area. Taxi rides we were told are very expensive so this limited our ability to get around the surrounding area more than we wanted to, but that is not the fault of the resort either.

First off let me say that I followed their posts on their Facebook Page before the trip and they did notice my comments on the Facebook Page and upon our arrival they had 2 free T-Shirts for us for being Facebook Fans. We thought that was a very nice jesture and we love the T-Shirts!!!

I also emailed the hotel about two weeks before the trip and asked for a few special room requests as this was a special anniversary trip for us and they replied back to my email the same day and told me they noted all my requests and they would try to accomodate us the best possible way they could. To our wonderful surprise we got everything we asked for in the room request, a 3rd or 4th floor Ocean View Room with a King Size Bed in a very quiet section of the resort away from the Kiddie Pool and Teen Club area. They gave us an amazing room in building 11 which is right by the lobby and close to all the Ala-Carte Restaurants!!! SCORE!!!

Upon arrival we arrived at the resort around 1:30pm and our room was ready for us which totally surprised us but they had the room ready because they had already had a special surprise for us waiting in the room, a nice Anniversary Cake on the table when we walked in!!! Thank you so much for doing that for us!!! We totally did not expect that and were quite prepared to go have lunch in the Buffet and lounge by the pool or beach waiting for our room to be ready.

We were given room 11404 on the 4th floor and the room was perfect for us. We did NOT upgrade to Privlege and are so glad we opted to NOT spend the several hundred dollars extra to do this, in my honest opinion we had an amazing room, all the rooms are junior suites to being with so it's not like upgrading to Privlege is going to get you a bigger room. The Privlege suites seem to have Jacuzzi tubs on their balcony, we didnt' care about this because we only came back to the room after 6 pm everynight and then got ready for dinner and we really didn't spend enough time in the room to use the Jacuzzi and who wants to sit in super hot water in a Jacuzzi in the middle of June anyways when the weather is already hot and humid. The pools were warm enough and so was the Ocean water.

We ate 5 of our 7 nights in the Ala-Carte restaurants and by far the "Blue Moon" Adults only restaurant was the best followed by Sensai the Japanese restaurant and then the Italian restaurant. We didn't try any of the other ones as we heard from several people the Mexican Restaurant was not very good and we didn't want to sit outdoors at night and eat in the Caribbean Grill restaurant either.

We had room Service two nights and the first night we tried it everything came up to me cold, ice cold in fact, the French Fries and Cheeseburger were cold and so was the Onion Soup. Not too crazy about the room service but my Fiance ordered Room Service one night and I went down to one of the buffets. When we told Room Service that our food was cold the night before they made sure when they brought the food the next time it was warm and my Fiancee said the burger was pretty good.

I ate in one of the buffet restaurants one night when they had a Brazillian buffet and it was really really good. I often wonder at the people that complain so much about the buffet food, they have literally so much food that you will always be able to find something that you like and can be happy with, unless of course you are an extremely picky person at home and complain about food all the time when you go out to eat, then you probably will never be happy with anything anywhere.

The waiters at the Ala-Carte restaurants in Blue Moon, Sensai, and the Italian restaurant were amazing,, let me mention the one waiter "Jairo" I belive his name was in the Italian restaurant. He was a sweetheart and not only an amazing waiter but an amazing cook as well!!! At the Italian restaurant the waiters prepare most of the food for you right at your table and boy could that young man cook!!!

The entire staff at this resort falls over themselves to help you, at least that was the experience with every single staff person we met during our 7 nights there. They are kind, friendly, and let me say this right now, someone else in another review said that the staff here are always begging for tips and they were appalled at how the staff at this resort beg for tips like they have never seen before.. WHAT in the world are you talking about???? We NEVER had anyone beg or even ask or even suggest they wanted a tip!!!!!

The Pools are very nice but the one thing we did not like was they did not have a dedicated Adults only pool. I think for as nice as this resort is and since they have 4 very large pools there should be no reason at all that they cannot dedicate one pool as Adults only. Ideally they should make the pool over near the Privlege area and the Swim up Bar pool Adults only and keep the super large Activity Pool and the dedicated Kiddie Pool for Children only. The resort is large enough to do this. There is no reason at all to have the kids spread out so much over 4 pools. There are several people that travel as couples only and might not be able to afford an Adults only resort but wish to have a semi quiet Adults Only experience in such a resort like this that is big enough for this to happen. I really question the parents that even consider bringing their children into the Swim up Bar pool, not that I think they will allow their young children to drink, but because of the behavior of some of the adults in the Swim up bar pool is such that as a parent I am surprised they would voluntarily subject their young kids to the idiot behavior of some of those drunk people in that pool. As an adult myself some of that behavior is shocking but to each their own in regards to this. I hope the management at some point takes the many suggestions of others that have suggested one of their pools become an Adults only pool. We spent most of our time laying out by the beach to first enjoy the sounds of the ocean and be able to take a nap and to get away from the loud activity in the pool.

The Beach was nice and they did their best to clean up the sea grass daily but the ocean was a disappointment but that is not the fault of the resort. They can't help nature and have virtually no control over that at all, so there is no reason to downgrade the resort itself because of the condition of the water. Yes there was debris in the water, and by debris I mean floating wrappers and paper from ignorant people that choose to litter but that stuff could have easily floated in from quite a distance after all it's an ocean and there are many other resorts nearby. Was the water totally dirty and filthy, no it was not, but it was murky most of the time. It was good enough to go in and splash around for a few minutes to get wet and cool off and float around a bit, but it wasn't good to try and do any snorkeling at all.

We walked down the beach to the small fishing village of Puerto Morelos and we LOVED Puerto Morelos!!!!! The water became must clearer toward that end and we really enjoyed the walk along the beach. I have to say though for us it was NOT the 45 minute walk down the beach from this resort that so many people said it was. I wonder if these people were jogging or what, because that walk took us 90 minutes one way and we were not walking slow. We were walking at a steady pace but definitely not speed walking by any means. It was a steady walk and it was still an hour and a half one way. So in all I think we walked about 6 miles back and forth, 3 hours total, would we do it again, probably not, but at least we can say we did it once. It was a bit too much walking for my ankles.

Suggestions for the resort is to have a towel stand by each pool. I have been to a few AI resorts and this was the only resort that had only 1 towel station at the activity pool and that seemed a bit ridiculous. The Privlege members had their own towel station over by the Privlege section of the beach. But for everyone else that did not upgrade to Privlege you had to go to the Activity Pool area to exhange your towel. The towels are due to be replaced too, most of them were super thin and threadbare. We always bring our own beach towels from home as well to help identify our chairs on the beach so we did have two other nicer towels with us, but the ones the resort gave us were really crummy.

The resort has a free shuttle to go shopping in Cancun on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and it is totally free. You have to ask about it at the Guest Services Desk and you have to sign up for it early in the day as they only take about 25 people. They leave the lobby at 9am and come back by 2pm. The first stop is a flea market kind of craft store in Cancun called Plaza 28 and they only give you an hour there, I think it should be longer, the next stop is an actual shopping mall like we have back home in the States, a regular shopping mall, so this is not what we were really looking for. I am not a mall person and even at home I rarely go the mall unless I really need something, that is what my 17 year old daughter does,, she hangs out at the mall. They gave us 2 hours there and we were not happy with that, had to kill alot of time at that mall, but the only good thing about it was they have a store in that mall called CHEDRAUI and it is like a Walmart and we got some pretty cheap souveniers in there. Like glass shot glass for $12 Pesos and some nice Picture frames for about $70-80 Pesos, and some Cermamic things. That shopping took about 30-45 minutes and then we just wasted an hour walking around the mall looking at stores we have back home. They should really flip the time and give us two hours at the flea market at Plaza 28 as that would give you more time to walk around and see the other shops just outside of Plaza 28 and only an hour at the Mall. I wanted to put this detailed info in here about the free shuttle to Cancun because I never saw this in anyone else's review and I only heard about the free shuttle from one person in the forum section here, so I wanted to expand on what this shopping trip was like.

We signed up for 1 day trip excursion right from the resorts Dive/Snorkel booth at the Swim up bar pool and I highly recommend this day trip. It was a day trip to Isla Mujeres and a Snorkel/Catarmaran trip. The cost was $89 per person and it left at 9am and brought you back to the resort about 6pm. The do this trip daily so you can sign up for it at any time. You pay at the Dive/Snorkel both the $89 and then when you get to the Port in Cancun you pay a park entrance fee of $10 US for each person. The trip consists of taking the Catamaran to Isla Mujeres, we got to hold and take a picture with a Whale Shark, then they took us snorkeling for an hour, then lunch on the beach with all you can eat food and drink. The drinks on the Catamaran are unlimited as well. Then they take you to another side of the Island and dock for an hour and you get the chance to walk around Isla and see the shops. The Island is amazing and for someone that wants to get the chance to see Isla this is a great day trip.

Overall we had a wonderful time at this resort. We did not upgrade to Privlege and we are glad that we did not because we felt we still were treated like royalty and got good enough liquor even though it wasn't the top shelf. The food was wonderful and we never went hungry and had plenty of selections. The staff here really does work hard at keeping the resort the cleanest possible.

I highly recommend this resort and would return again if we got the same kind of deal we did this time around.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple ask for a room in a building away from the Kiddie section. Building...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tpadul
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear tpadul,
We want to thank you for your kind comments about your experience at our resort. With reward we learn that on your visit to OCT we were able to provide you with a wonderful vacation. We want to express our gratitude for your compliments to our performance, for your suggestions to our operation and for taking the time to post such a complete review about our resort. Thank you for recommending our resort to the community. We hope to host your next vacations in a near future.
Warm regards,

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!