“We LOVE Denise!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“We LOVE Denise!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Coral & Turquesa. The highlights of the trip were definitely the entertainment and fabulous staff (particularly Denise, Didi, Angel and more!). This was a PERFECT place for a family vacation. Six nights a week they have fabulous family shows ranging from Grease to The Lion King to an eclectic Broadway medley! The actors were also on the resort all day with various other day jobs - activities at the pool, towel bar, running the kids club, etc. We were excited to chat with them whenever we had a chance because they were so fun and engaging. Honestly, I have to say Denise was just spectacular above all- always so fun and going above and beyond to make sure us and the kids were having a great time.

I was completely shocked when we went to our first show. I figured it was something silly to entertain the kids, but the adults enjoyed them just as much! Really well choreographed, great costumes and FUN!

Most of our restaurant servers were pretty good, but EFRAIN in the Villa Marina was just outstanding! This was definitely one of the best restaurants on the property, and by our second night dining there, EFRAIN knew our orders and would bring out our preferred drinks and confirm dishes immediately :) He was also amazing with our 4.5 year old twins- making animals out of the napkins and keeping them giggling. We happened to have Pedro for lunch out there on our last day and he was sweet as could be. Alma and Alba, were both bar waitresses who took orders on the beach and by the pool, and they were super fabulous and engaging as well.

Now for the negatives, or the reason I could not give the resort a 5 star rating. The large buffet where all breakfast is served was not so great. Not only was the food mediocre, but the staff in there were horrible. We were really disappointed considering what a great experience we had with most other staff on the resort. The seating was slow, the service was slow, and I had a specific situation that really angered me. My 4 year old daughter unfortunately got sick and was stuck in the room throwing up for two days. The only thing she could stomach was something simple like a croissant. The first morning, I went down and asked if I could get a plate of bread to bring up to her (obviously explaining the situation of my sick daughter). The women at the front were very rude and not at all accommodating, informing me that I could not bring anything out of the restaurant and could go order room service. The room service menu consisted of hamburgers, pizza, salad etc. I was very upset and went to the front desk to describe the situation to a reception agent. She very coldly took my room number and said she would have some bread sent up. An HOUR later, they sent up a plate of rosemary rolls. That is obviously the last thing a four year old would consider eating, much less when she's feeling awful. The next day I decided I was just going to break the rules and go bring bread from the breakfast buffet! As I approached the door, a woman stopped me and informed me that I could not bring the food out of there. I explained the situation and she was unbending telling me those were the rules. I was very frustrated and let them know it, but am not a big complainer and did not go report at the front desk again. Just a reminder- this is an ALL INCLUSIVE hotel! I was very disappointed by this unaccommodating service, even from the front desk when hoping for help from them.

In general, the food was mediocre. The Sushi restaurant, Italian and Villa Marina were definitely the best, and in my opinion really the only good ones on the property. Honestly, beyond the frustrating situation with my daughter being sick, we were pretty happy with the resort.

OH! I should mention - I don't know if it was because of the time of year or what (We were there August 7-14), but the ocean was HORRIBLE. The shore was covered in mounds of seaweed you had to cross before stepping into the pretty murky water. I've been to this part of Mexico, however not this hotel, and the water has always been clear and beautiful? This was disappointing because we go there for the beach, but spent all of our time in the pools. Fortunately the pools were very kid friendly with a huge gently sloping shallow end, so you can keep a close eye on them while not needing to be in the water the whole time.

Last negative- the wifi was pretty weak and not too reliable. Even in the room.

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth!

Room Tip: We were in a regular junior suite which was very nicely decorated and clean, and had a balcony overl...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Erica Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,520)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My sister, my brother in law, my 11 year old daughter and I stayed here in late August/Early September 2013 (Sorry OCT to have left it until now to review!).

I have to say, I'm a little bemused by the reviews on here. We loved our trip to the OCT, the food was perfectly wonderful in all restaurants and the service was incredibly good. Every single member of staff that we encountered greeted us with an cheerful 'Ola' - and those were the guys who didn't remember our names; which, most of them did. Every time my daughter went anywhere she got an 'Ola Anna'.

Rooms:

Spacious, clean, comfortable (not damp at all (here comes the bemusement again)). The housekeeper who managed our room was called Betty and every day she put my daughter's cuddly toys together on her pillow. I'm a messy traveler (bottles and clothes everywhere), and again, Betty had all my clothes back in my case and all my toiletries straightened up every night.

Thanks Betty :-) 10/10.

At this point I'll let you into a little secret, when we arrived home, I unpacked all the cases and was left with a huge pile of washing as well as a house that had been inhabited by a lone teenager for a week. I was standing staring despondently at the mess when my daughter walked in behind me, took one look at my face and said: "You're missing Betty aren't you?"

My sister and her husband had the Honeymoon Suite, gorgeous. Private garden, hot tub, access onto the Privilege beach and a room that wasn't a room so much as a small flat!

Fresh fruit and wine every day (we also had fresh fruit in our Junior Suite ) she travels a great deal and was very comfortable and happy with her accommodation. She was also working during the trip and had to use the wi-fi all over the resort for conference calls and had no problem at all.

Once again, a resounding 10/10.

Pools/Entertainment:

Okay, the Party Pool can get a bit rowdy - but that's why they call it the party pool. There are two other pools, one to the left and one to the right that are quieter. When we felt like some peace and quiet rather than exuberance, we retired to one of the other pools or indeed the beach.

Personally I liked the vibe at the Party Pool, there was no bad feeling, just young and old alike having fun, throwing balls about, dancing and whatnot. Good for them - it's holiday time, go for it!

Again, a thumping 10/10

The Beach:

Now here, I feel I really must interject on behalf of the OCT. There is seaweed on the beach. The water is a little cloudy. Blue, warm, gorgeous but yes; a little cloudy.

This is because of the Mayan Reef which lies half a mile from the beach. There is absolutely nothing that can be done about it - if you want the fabulous diving on the reef, I'm afraid you will need to expect a thin line of seaweed which, it has to be said, is tackled on a near constant basis by a tractor and rake. I personally didn't find it an issue, but I suppose if you are hellbent on finding fault, it may be an issue for you.

Turtles:

Total high point for me. The OCT run a conservation program for turtles and on 4 of the 7 nights we were there, we were lucky enough to join many other guests releasing turtles, by hand, into the sea. Everybody got to name their turtles and received a certificate.

It was truly brilliant - the concern and care that the OCT Turtle Team show for their little turtle babies is truly inspiring and and, just for that alone, I would spend good money going back there as often as I could. Conservation is a huge deal for me but it costs money, good for them.

So, all in all, I thought it was a terrific resort and I'm simply gauging that by the fact that we had a terrific time there.

Would I return.

Absolutely.

Room Tip: Well, we had a ocean/pool view room on the 3rd floor. Loved the view, loved hearing the ocean, enjoy...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 234LouLou
Chestnut Ridge, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Ocean Coral & Turquesa's rooms are really nice with ocean & garden view.
The entertainment staff was excellent...Denisse, Julio, Raul, Carolina, and whole staff did an amazing job entertaining the guest. Victor in the Japanese restaurant put on a terrific show preparing hibachi food for our group. our Family had a wonderful week (8/1/14-8/9/14)
would go back there again...soon!!

Room Tip: privilege rooms are the best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Avoid the spa. i write this as I sit in the lobby after checking out. my husband and I have spent four days here and it was fine until it was time to checkout. We signed up for massages with two representatives who were selling spa services at the pool. we opted for a cpls massage and were told it was on special for $160 and we could upgrade from 50 min to 80 min for $180. We set our apomnt and scheduled the upgrade.

When we arrived at the spa, Rubi and. another lady barely greeted us and didnt offer us any water nor did. they offer a tour of the facillities. i thought it was weird but thought it was just an off day. We had our treatments and. upon leaving were told to pay at checkout. Mind. you we. hadnt recieved any reciept or any documentation.

Fast forward to checkout at the resort lobby, when we were told that we were charged $220 for the spa and if we had a special rate we would have to go down to the spa to pay. I was annoyed because I felt lied to and believed that springing this on us at checkout was tasteless. My husband and I walked down to the spa to resolve the issue. Mind you the spa is about a 5 minute walk from the lobby. I am certain that Manuel at the front desk called them and let them know we were coming. Nonetheless, when we arrived no one was available. The ladies were there but they all walked around as. if they didnt see us. Mind you, we are trying to checkout, we have a shutttle and plane to catch. Finally, RUDE RUBI comes out and says our charge is $220. i let her know that we. were quoted a different price. she said that we needed to have a coupon to get that price. I told her that her reps gave us a price and thats what I was paying. I asked to speak tyo a manager and she refused. Finally she accepts our cc payment and we head back to the lobby.

After checking out, my husband and I sit to wait for our shuttle. The front desk clerk, manuel tells me that I have a call... I take the phone and guess who. RUDE RUBI, who proceeds to tell me that we owe $40. I told her that I want to speak to a manager and she tells me no. At. this point, I walk away from the phone.

Ten minutes RUDE RUBI comes to the lobby and starts telling me tthat I need to listen. At. this poin, Im beyond ticked off. People in the lobby and the other staff are staring but. still no manager. She shows me some reciept with three different types of ink on it and says you aggreed to pay $2750 in pesos. i explain to her I use dollars not pesos and her reps quoted one price and wrote another.

My husband, who is feeling ill, is sitting there dumbfounded. When I tell her that I'm not paying witthout speaking to a manager she says 'Im not getting a manager. Since you won't listen I'll talk to him.' referencing my husband. I paid for the massages as a gift to my husband and couldn't believe the disrespect. My husband tells her, it was my wife's card. You need to respond to her. All this time, Im asking for a manager and no one comes. RUDE RUBI tells me if you wont pay, then security will not let you leave. Security comes out but still no manager! THIS RESORT TRIED TO HOLD US HOSTAGE FOR $40. I couldn't believe that I was being treated this way. My husband calmed me down saying that we werent going to jail in MXN, and he paid the money.

We travel pretty regularly. i have never had this type of experience. Thank God they only charged us $40 extra and not $4000. I read negative reviews about Timeshare bate and switch at this hotel and should have listened. We will NEVER visit another H10 property. The fact that no one in management came forward to mediate underscores that this hotel makes cheating its guests a practice. DO NOT STAY HERE. DON'T RISK IT.

Prior to this experience, I would have rated this resort a 3.5 out of 5, but safety and respect are far more value than a nice pool and cocktails. Beware the $65 pedicure could turn into $565 at checkout. RUDE RUBI is unpleasant and discourteous and it seems that hotel management is complicit in scamming guests.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank bmacgurl
Austin
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for four nights and had a blast, we never left the resort. We enjoyed our relaxing mini vacation sailing, snorkeling and hanging out at the resort. Our standard room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The food was good, the pools were packed and the staff friendly. I thought price was excellent for this all inclusive resort.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
hertfordshire
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We travelled with first choice on the Dreamliner for 2 weeks last week in July first week in August. The flight was comfortable and spacious but not enough drinks so take plenty on board with you. The food was standard aeroplane food and nothing to rave about. Be warned you will be in immigration/customs for about 2 hours so ensure you have lots of water with you. We definitely didn’t have bad jet lag like you do on other planes. After a short 20 minute transfer we arrived at the hotel. The road isn't bad at all as others have mentioned. We were greeted by a friendly bell boy who took our luggage and came with us to check in. We were given a cold drink and cold face cloth which was refreshing. Check in was very quick and easy we were given a lock for our safe room keys and towel cards but no information about the resort or where we could eat not very helpful at all. We were given a map and had to find our room which was on the 3rd floor in block 20. A very quiet location at the edge of the resort next to the tennis courts. We were travelling with my 13 year old son and on inspection of the room it had 2 small double beds. The bell boy delivered our luggage promptly and asked if everything was ok. We mentioned there was nowhere for my son to sleep and he called housekeeping and said they would be up straight away. We pushed the 2 double beds together and then unpacked. My son’s bed (sofa bed, which was very uncomfortable) was finally made at 9pm after several calls and visits to reception. We had been travelling for 11 hours and wanted to go to bed. We also had only one cup for the coffee machine we asked 6 times throughout our stay and never got another one. Reception are useless and unhelpful if you want anything done go and see Yoshi or Sandra at guest services. Both are excellent very knowledgeable and helpful. This is where First Choice guests can pre-book the a la carte restaurants between 9.00 and 3.00. No waiting in line if you know where you want to eat that night. The only one you couldn’t book was the Italian (more on that under restaurants). The A la cartes are a must as the evening buffet is very poor.
Restaurants
The only guarantee of good food in the buffet for evening meal is the salad bar and fresh fruit. The service is very poor and watch out for Ariel. On several occasions he would acknowledge our request for drinks then ignore you. We had several meals in the buffet without drinks not even water and my husband had to go and get coffee for us if we were seated in Ariel’s area. If you ate in another area service was better sometimes excellent sometimes just good or average. Breakfast was excellent lots of fresh fruit yoghurts cakes eggs cooked to order toast machine cakes and croissants cereals freshly squeezed juices streaky bacon sausages hash browns you definitely want to fill up at breakfast and lunch in the main buffet as dinner was poor. Lunch was good in the main buffet restaurant. They served burgers outside but we never had any.
The Sensai Japanese was by far the best food of all the restaurants. We managed to go the show table 3 times and ate in the restaurant twice. No problems with my 13 year old getting in at 9.00 pm. show table. Route 66 is OK to grab something light but service and food is inconsistent. Food sometimes cold. It is open all night but beware it turns into a riot after 11. We experienced a drunk brawl when an American who attacked a fellow English holidaymaker for no reason. My young son was with us not the hotels fault? They served him copious amounts of alcohol from 10 in the morning. Think Friday night kebab shop that will give you an idea of the atmosphere! Mike's coffee shop is a real asset they do lovely coffee and serve sandwiches and cakes to die for from 3.00pm in the afternoon. There is a nice vibe in this place and the staff are excellent. The Italian which can’t be booked in advance it’s first come first serve basis. People queue from 5.15 pm to get a table. It is outside and does show cooking. Service is very slow and the food is average with your side dishes being cold. Not worth queuing for. The hotel could do with another Italian restaurant that serves just pastas, pizzas and traditional Italian food. The Creperie served pizzas but they are not up to much. The crepes are delicious and the service is very attentive and the best we received throughout our stay. Ensure you spray with anti-mosquito spray as it’s outdoors by the privilege pool. They have “off” for you to use if you ask your waiter in case you haven’t any. We never ate in the Caribbean grill as we ate in there at lunch time and the food was gross, cold and dirty tables and dire service. It is also outside and we didn’t want to chance it so can’t comment on the evening service. We also didn’t eat in the Blue Moon adult only restaurant as we were travelling with my son so can’t comment on this.
Bars/Pools
The hotel attracts a lot of young Americans who go there to take advantage of the 18 year olds drinking limit. They are VERY Loud rude and get so drunk during the day it's embarrassing. If you are travelling with young family avoid the pool with swim up bar. The bar staff and waitresses deserve a medal to work there they are very attentive and Angelas always made sure your glass was full and George worked tirelessly making endless cocktails. We never experienced bad service at this bar.
The lobby bar serves great cocktails in glasses the rest of the resort drinks are served in plastic cups which fine as broken glass by the pool/outside areas is not good. There are waiters that serve you at the lobby bar/terrace, service is good here and the staff are friendly. The hotel could do with a lounge bar that has some sort of entertainment for the evenings i.e. singer, pianist evening bars are limited.
There are 4 pools the kiddie’s pool which has a bar but we never visited. They don’t have loungers just chairs at this pool. The Activity pool is where aqua aerobics, water polo, dance lessons goes on but the most lively pool is the swim up bar pool but you have to put up with load American drunks with foul mouths. The privilege pool is very quiet and isn’t just for privileged guests but we didn’t go there. All the pools were cleaned every day and the water was clear in the mornings but did get murky by the end of the day from sun creams and drink spillages. The Hammocks which can be found behind the juice bar at the swim up pool are lovely but are well hidden and not advertised.
You do get pool towels but some had seen better days. Mostly they were great and clean but one or two need throwing away. We never had a problem getting towels but agree with other reviewers that there could be another towel station.
People do reserve sunbeds and cabanas but we never didn't get a bed at any pool at any time of the day so this is not necessary. The Americans seem to think they can reserve a bed at each pool and the beach but this is not necessary and needs policing by hotel to avoid confrontation. We saw several rows about this and was involved in one. The beach is nice and the sea warm bur the sea grass seemed to be a big problem on our last 2 days. We didn't see the tractor and it was about 2 foot deep and high on our last day. Visibility is poor but this is due to the sand in the shallows swim out a bit and it’s fine. We went diving with wet set in the town (see separate review) swam with dolphins at Isla Mejures and swam with whale sharks these experiences made our holiday. All this was booked before we went as it was cheaper than with First Choice. The dive school onsite is not a Padi registered dive centre as it advertises. The have PADI instructors but are NOT a dive centre. We have spoken to PADI about this, hence why we used Wet Set who were great.
Entertainment
Oscar made sure the fun games were enjoyable he was very friendly. On our first night he came and introduced himself (sexy chocolate) and made us feel very welcome. He remembered our names for the rest of the holiday. I can't remember his sidekicks name but she was equally friendly and always made a fuss of people celebrating birthdays. Entertainment needs looking at as nothing to do at night unless you want to sit in a sauna to watch average shows. We did go to the pool party but the DJ was poor and didn’t really have any English music. It was a fun night though. The hotel could do with an indoor disco which would keep all the drunks contained!
Rooms/Housekeeping
We had a junior suite. The room was large but the sofa bed is not suitable for someone to sleep on for 2 weeks. We did complain (5 times before anything was done) and they covered the mattress with a lumpy duvet which didn’t help. We had paid for 3 adults but I couldn’t have slept on this. The other beds were firm but comfortable and bed linen was OK. Pillows are lumpy but were OK to sleep on. Air conditioning is great and because of the humid air you are best to dry swimwear indoors as anything on the balcony remains damp. The bathroom is spacious and we always had loads of hot water. We were able to shower and bath at the same time with no problems. The toiletries were only topped up once out of 2 weeks and we only go turn down service 3 times. The maid came daily normally quite late but only seemed to make the beds, and replace towels. Cleaning was done 4 times whilst we were there and not very well. The bathroom sink had my husband’s whiskers in it for 3 days at one time! The fridge worked OK but only kept drinks cool not cold. It was restocked daily and the friendly bartender did ask us if everything was OK and ensure we had diet coke instead of normal coke after that. A couple of beers, couple of cokes, and plenty of water which is all that’s needed as it is all inclusive and you don’t spend lots of time in your room. There was plenty of drawer space hangers in the wardrobe. An iron and ironing board is in the wardrobe along with your safe. The hairdryer in the bathroom got really hot. Because it didn’t have a nozzle on it I actually set my hair alight one night so be careful! Always had plenty of toilet paper which was basic but fine not 5 star.
Spa
The spa staff walk round all day trying to drum up trade. I don’t think anyone pays the prices advertised it’s just a marketing ploy to think you are getting a bargain. I did have a relaxing massage $100 for 50 minutes. Doris my masseuse was very good and I felt very relaxed afterwards. They wanted $60 for my nails to be painted so I didn’t bother.
Wifi
The free Wi-Fi in the room worked well but seemed not to work on the balcony. There was Wi-Fi by the pool and in the lobby was also good. We only checked email, Facebook and browsed the internet all of which worked well.

General
Overall the hotel is spotless bedrooms large and cool. Generally Staff were very friendly but they do not give five star service very erratic. Especially the front desk which I would say was poor. With a few tweaks this hotel could be 5 star compared to where we have stayed previously in Playa del Carmen this was disappointing. Take Mexican Peso as this is the best rate. Dollars are accepted but you get ripped off. We did tip good service but it was never expected or asked for and always gratefully received. We hired a car with Europe Car in Puerto Morelos and found it easy enough to drive around. Refilling with fuel is fun. They do it for you and wash your windscreen and wheels whilst you wait. They do take card or cash and fuel was cheap mxn peso $200 for half a tank. We never experienced hassle from the time share people I think they mainly target the Americans as they get $100 incentive and British only get $50.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday but mostly because of the experiences outside of the hotel. We always felt safe with the exception of route 66 and at the pool bar with the very drunk loud Americans. You can get away from them at the 3 other pools but we liked a cabana to shade us from the hot sun. If you have already booked don't worry you will have a great time drink lots of bottled water stay hydrated and you won't get ill. Food hygiene was good we only saw people being ill from alcohol not the food. Don't ask to see the manager he doesn't exist. We asked on several occasions and were always told not available!
I know I’ve gone on and hope I haven’t repeated myself. If we returned to Mexico we would probably stay in another hotel not up to par with other H10 hotels we have stayed at. Would rate it 3½* not 5*. It is probably rated this for the facilities not the standard of food and service. Happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: go for a high floored room block 20 is very quiet away from the main resort
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank hertfordshire4
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We decided we wanted to take a big family vacation before my oldest went off to college. We chose Ocean Turquesa because it had alot to offer. 7 restaurants, 4 pools, beach access and all inclusive! I have to say it did not disappoint!! We also didnt want TOO kid friendly as I am an in-home daycare provider and was trying to get away from that for a week. My youngest, who is 11, had plenty to do so it was just family-friendly enough for us! The staff was great...we particulary loved Gustavo at the swim up bar-he made my 11 yr old a chocolate milk drink that made her feel like she was all grown up & he remembered her every day!! The pools and the room was clean and the food was plentiful! If you don't have a great vacation here, it is your own fault!!

• Stayed July 2014
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!