“Amazing location - would return in a heartbeat”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Audrey R
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Amazing location - would return in a heartbeat”
Reviewed 29 October 2013 for a stay in March 2013
person found this review helpful

I stayed in Casa Toucan 1 with my husband and our 3 young daughters. We really wanted to give them the experience of staying in Mexico without staying at a resort. Casa Toucan ended up being the perfect place for us. It is important to note that this property is owner-occupied. How you feel about this is important in deciding whether this is the right place for you to vacation. There are both pros and cons to this arrangement and I have tried to include both in this review.

The part of the house we rented had 2 bedrooms - plenty of space since our kids are little and used to sharing a room - both were adequately furnished and the beds were pretty comfortable. There are no closets, but the owners do provide a hanging rack with shelves to put your clothes on. The living room furniture was not the most comfortable, but it is appropriate given the proximity to the beach (and sand and water, etc.). There were two bathrooms, which were fine except for the sewer gas smell that came up through the pipes. This was actually a pretty nasty smell that I suspect would only affect the first floor rental. It was bad enough that I would highly recommend bringing a scented candle with you (not kidding). The kitchen was fairly well equipped and I am sure that had we needed anything we would only have had to ask (PRO).

The exterior of the house is pretty great in that there is a little garden you enter through that offers a relaxing spot to sit and watch the lizards. There is a patio and small pool on the beach side of the house. Part of the pool is actually a hot tub, but it wasn't always warmed while we were staying there. One of the minor inconveniences we had during our stay was that the pool was covered at night and didn't get uncovered until the owner, Jon, got up. That was never quite early enough for the kids who did have to wait for a couple of hours each day for the pool to open (CON).

There is also a table with chairs on the patio just outside of Casa 1, which provided a great spot to have a meal or just watch the kids swim, but it is NOT included in the rental of Casa 1. That means that anyone staying in the house is welcome to use it. And it is RIGHT outside of Casa 1. That wasn't so great when there was a small get together on the patio and we had absolutely no privacy or quiet in the rental. It only happened once, but it is definitely something that would not happen in a non-owner-occupied rental (CON).

As for the owners themselves, I have nothing but positive things to say. Jon and Alicia were kind and easy to get along with. They did a good job of making sure we had what we needed, but otherwise allowed us use of their home as though it were ours. Alicia was especially kind to our kids, which we were grateful for. Honestly, I don't think this kind of an arrangement would work out with any homeowners, but it seems to work just fine with Jon and Alicia (PRO).

As for the business side of things... The rental paperwork was straight-forward and was sent well in advance of our stay. The terms were standard for rental properties and really were fair. All money was paid in advance and our deposit was returned VERY quickly. Our kids popped part of a screen out of a screen door and Jon was very understanding about that. He ended up not deducting from our deposit because he said the screen was old anyway. We were very impressed with that - especially because we would have happily paid for the damage. I think Jon really does try to be fair, so I suspect that you'd have to do some real damage in order to not get the full deposit back.

As for the location of the house - it really couldn't be better! On the far side of the pool are steps that exit onto the beach. The beach in Puerto Morelos is fairly protected due to the barrier reef, so the water is calm and the perfect shade of Caribbean blue. The fine white sand beach is cleaned daily and is not terribly crowded. The town of Puerto Morelos is charming and way more relaxed than nearby Cancun. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from, but we ended up heading to the local shops and buying food there more often than not. We couldn't have been happier with the location of Casa Toucan!

So, we really have been planning to come back to Casa Toucan at least every other year if not every year until recently. Apparently the owners have changed the house to an "adults only" vacation spot. This is really disappointing to us and will prevent us from being able to return to this spot for the next 14 years. This is a total loss of repeat business.

Also, the rental prices have been increased. It was for this reason that I lowered my rating from "excellent" to "very good." I think the former rental prices were steep compared to other rentals in the area, but the new pricing is even higher. I think things would have to be completely spruced up - including fixing the plumbing - in order to justify the rental prices.

I would still recommend this location to a friend, but it would likely only be for Casa 3 for a couple. I honestly don't know anyone that would need as much room as Casa 1 that doesn't have kids.

Liked best: The location
Liked least: the sewage smell
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Moose Jaw
Reviewed 2 March 2013 for a stay in January 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
Jordan R
Surrey, Canada
“Wonderful little beachfront casita - just a a few steps to the beach - but still quiet & private at the same time!”
Reviewed 29 January 2013 for a stay in January 2013
person found this review helpful

We spent one week in the little casita - and enjoyed our 1st visit to Puerto Morelos immensely.
Casa Toucan is right on the beach - but manages to stay very private & quiet at the same time.
Loved hearing the wind & the waves every evening - quiet beachfront walks in the early morning too while awaiting the gorgous sunrises!
Plus - the back gated entrance takes you right to town - by the town square - lots of great little restaurants!!! Just a Perfect location!!

Great little place to stay - we'll be back!

Liked best: Location!!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Melbourne...
Melbourne
“Perfect position, great owners”
Reviewed 17 January 2013 for a stay in December 2012
person found this review helpful

We stayed with our teenage son in Toucan1. It is a perfect position , on the beach with your own lovely pool, on the beach , 1 minute from the centre of town. This is a great chilled holiday and you right in the centre, but still quiet. The owners are great are go out their way to help you.,but what could you need ? It is all at your doorstep.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The atmosphere and position are perfect.
Liked least: I am used to a king size bed so it was smaller than what I am used to
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
SheRidesA...
Nashua, NH
“Everyone walking by envied our location and pool.”
Reviewed 11 March 2012 for a stay in February 2012

My 17 year old daughter and I stayed for a second time at Casa Toucan. I think this is the first time I've ever returned to a property. When it comes to returning to the Cancun area, there is no need to look further. Never shlep your stuff to the beach again, stay on the beach instead!
We take the small unit 3, it can be seen in the pictures in the lower right. It has a kitchenette, very functional, and if you're missing a utensil or pot Jon is right on the spot to get you what you need. The bathroom is very small but tidy. The rest of the space is taken by the bed, a queen. The bed faces the door, overlooking the patio, wall and then ocean. When the bed was moved to face the door, we lost the wall to prop ourselves up against. With no other furniture, we spent leisure time, like watching a movie at night, on the bed. This was fine with us, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Upon arrival we like to walk to the market and stock up on groceries for the week. We recommend walking beach side, it's a short walk to the square, street side is not as pleasant.
Casa Toucan's owners are very attentive, very detailed oriented. The best addition to the Casa from 2 years ago, was the Voice over IP phone for free US dialing. It's also worth a mention that the wi-fi is reliable.
I urge you to skip the tours being peddled next to the general store, instead grab a taxi yourself and go direct. Or use the people Jon recommends.
If you like to get away from the crowds of Cancun, you don't mind taking care of your own needs,in exchange for a clean, friendly affordable place right on the beach, Casa Toucan could be just right for you.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Low price for being right on the beach
Liked least: The food in the village, it was challanging to find something yummy.
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Friends getaway
HAP522
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed 29 December 2011 for a stay in November 2011

We discovered Puerto Morelos last year and vowed to come back. What we discovered this year is a perfect vacation home, Casa Toucan. Casa Toucan is a small, family complex made up of 3-4 units right on the beach less than half a block from the lovely town square. We stayed in the one bedroom unit on the second floor. Our unit had a large open living-dining-kitchen area and an outside veranda that faces the Caribbean, a bedroom, bathroom and another balcony that faces away from the water. We spent most of our time on the veranda with it’s constant breezes and the most amazing views of the Caribbean, the pool, the beach and the town's famous leaning light house. The pool is intimate and invites more relaxation and lounging. You can get a meal, drink or massage by walking on the beach for a few minutes or you can walk the other way for a minute and get to the relaxed center of town with all of its shops, restaurants, activities and friendly, friendly people. The owners, John and Alicia were there getting ready for the season and their company and suggestions only enhanced the experience. They are friendly and helpful. Our stay was so enjoyable that we booked for next year before we left. We are sure that once you discover Casa Toucan it will become your “home” in Puerto Morelos.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, small intimate family complex
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
jmf1177
seattle
“Loved everything about it!”
Reviewed 26 August 2011 for a stay in July 2011

I booked this place after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I stayed at Casa Toucan for 8 nights. I was coming to Puerto Morejelos to get my dive certification at Wet Set Diving. I have stayed at 8 or so places along this coastline in the last 10 years. Everything from tiny cabanas to 5 star hotels. This by far is my favorite place and I can't wait to come back and bring my family. Even though I had travelled to this part of Mexico alone before, I was a little apprehensive as it had been 10 years since I had been to P.M. I had John and Alicia pick me up at the airport. They are so nice and I felt all the worries I had melt away. By the time we arrived at Casa Toucan I felt like they were old friends. The apartment I rented was the one bedroom on the upper level. It looked exactly like the pictures only better because I was standing in it. I loved the openness of the space. It is very light and airy. The dining room, kitchen, and living room is one big space. It just feels good. The bedroom is large as well, and I thought the bed was very comfortable. The best part was waking up in the morning and looking at the beautiful view from those huge windows. While I made my coffee I looked out onto a tastefully done rock wall with two iguanas lazing on it. I had coffee on the covered veranda. [pinch myself!] All of the grounds, gardens and pool is tastefully done. It is a very peaceful setting. I was able to get internet access. Best of all as a solo traveler I felt completly safe at this place. The gates and door locks work really well. Casa Toucan is located within walking distance to everything a person could need. Some places advertise this, when it is really a mile to town. When you walk out the main gate you are about a block to town square. If you walk north about a block you will find yourself at a beachfront reastuaraunt with sand floors that serves the best whole fried fish I have ever eaten. I can't remember the name but it's not hard to find. I love the beaches along this part of the coast, the water was very calm. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed my stay at Casa Toucan. John and Alicia are great hosts and go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying your stay. I was sad to say good bye and look forward to returning.

Liked best: The view
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing