“Awesome time book without thinking twice.”

Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome time. Great staff. Good food. Good service paid $1300canadian all inclusive. Try all the resraurants awesome food. Small resort less to walk. All rooms are great. Beaxh is small but good enough. Please tip genorously. Lobby bar is great place to hang out.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MasalaBItes

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Never before have we returned to the same hotel twice only having visited dreams last year.
We were a little apprehensive regarding our second visit to Dreams but we need not have worried. We spent two weeks in May and had booked once again a Preferred Club Premium Plunge Pool Room through British Airways. Prior to our arrival I e mailed the resort to request perhaps dependant upon availability a room with a slightly better view having stayed in room 1108 last year. Not that there was anything wrong with our room last year I hasten to add.
On arrival we were escorted down to the Preferred Club Lounge, we were quickly offered a glass of sparkling wine and duly checked in with the minimum of fuss by Yvette. On the way to our room we were informed that we would be pleased with the allocated room based upon our request. Our room this year was 1151, once again the room was extremely clean and to our surprise a bottle of Champagne and fruit were on the side table along with a letter from the manager welcoming our family back to Dreams, this was a nice touch. Room 1151 sits right alongside the main thoroughfare overlooking the children's pool and views toward the sea. This room was a great improvement upon last years as we had considerably more space not only in the room but in particular a small lobby to store our suitcases. Often a criticism of the rooms whilst beautiful in design is the lack of space to fully unpack and store suitcases, unlike last year we did not live out of our suit cases. This really did provide a better experience for ourselves. We felt as a family Dreams is an ideal size being also safe for or son who this year had more freedom to wander around the resort with his friends. He particularly liked going with his friends to the Coco Café to discuss the planned kids club activities over a cool milkshake. The resort is kept immaculately clean at all times and what we liked as a family is that the size means everything is within easy reach. We visited all the restaurants and our favourite was the Asian eating there on three occasions. The service and standard of food was excellent apart from our first evening at the Sea Side Grill. I mention this isolated incident just to highlight the outcome of the experience at this restaurant. We choose to eat here first as last year we had the best Chateaubriand steaks ever tasted and visited the grill several times. However this first visit back to our favourite haunt so to speak was not up to last years standards / expectations. The service was extremely slow a wait in excess of 50 minutes and the steak was not the perfection of last year such that I did not eat it. Disappointed to say the least as we had met a family that day new to the resort and on our advice we all met up to eat.
I felt this worthy to feed back to the Duty Manager my concerns as without this knowledge change cannot come about. He wrote down on a scrap piece of paper my issues and said that they would be addressed by the food and beverage Manager. To be honest I thought that was the last of the matter with no real recourse but not to worry. The following morning on the way to the beach I was greeted by Gonzalo the Manager of the sea Side Grill, nothing odd about this as all the staff are friendly and are more than willing to pass the time of day with you. He apologised about the service last night and said that he wished to make it up to ourselves and would we visit the Oceana that evening. As we had nothing planned we decided to eat at the restaurant on the advice of Gonzalo. On our arrival we were treated like VIP's which is a feat in its self due to the already high standards of service. I have to say that I had one of the best Tuna steaks that I have ever had. Every time for the remainder of our stay if we ate in a restaurant managed by Gonzalo we were again treated like VIP's. If there was ever a time that the staff thought that the service was a bit on the slow side which we did not they would bring out a huge portion of shrimp in a delicious spicy sauce to infill. I wanted to mention our one negative experience because the management listened and also went over and above with the exceptional service provided by Gonzalo and his team. We never expected this level of personal service, Gonzalo is indeed a credit to the Dreams management team well done and thank you. One evening we had our Chateaubriand which was excellent, just as we had become accustomed to last year but we are sure that the steaks served were for four and not the two of us, they were huge!! We also liked two new additions this year the new terrace restaurant I believe it was called the La Travetine which served lasagne to die for. The ambience was relaxing on the terrace and it was nice sometimes to dress down for a change to eat. At no time during our two week stay did we experience any issues surrounding food hygiene or tummy problems. The second new addition was the separate area for preferred guests on the beach next to the lifeguard. This was great as the chairs were much more comfortable than by the pool side with better quality towels. There was also a bar which served this area that was only ten paces away from this area when the waiter service became slow and a small decked area should you wish to eat in your swim wear. It was also an ideal spot for my wife to Wedding watch usually around 4pm and me with my Bombay Sapphire G&T. We used the Preferred Club Lounge several times during our stay and a special mention must go to Hebur who was dignified and courteous at all times. He always ensured that our glasses remained full and took great pride in running the lounge, a true gentleman to say the least. One thing to comment on here is that some guests will come into the lounge in wet swim wear often sitting on the fabric chairs. This is annoying particularly in the evening when ready to eat you set of with wet trousers / dresses after stopping by the Lounge for a pre meal drink. A simple dress code change and enforcing it would remedy this situation I saw many guests fall into the annoying wet seat trap!! The hot and cold snacks provided in the lounge were beautiful to look at in presentation and delicious. There always seemed to be a member of staff ensuring that the presentation always remained uniformly tidy. Our mini bar was not always topped up, but look, the amount of available alcohol means you never go without and should you need the bar filling all you need to do is ring housekeeping and it is refilled, simple!! no need to make a fuss about such a minor issue as I have seen some guests comment on.
Another special mention must go to Raphael from the Entertainments Team clearly without doubt the hardest working member of the team. He was always friendly and took great pride in trying to remember your names, comical on his word association in how he got to remember them. My son loved his daily costume changes, Captain America, Superman, Hulk, Thor his wardrobe is endless. The first time we met Raphael was on our one and only rainy day up in the main reception area where he came up to us to ask if it was alright for him to play with our son, of course. He then spent the next couple of hours playing hide and seek with a group of children at one stage returning with a Captain American Shield and Mask for our son to wear, appropriate given that Raphael was dressed as superman. Thank you Raphael. Whilst we were around the pool one day a film production team arrived and started to film a waiter chesting down a world cup football. We witnessed various film shots around the pool that day, what was interesting having returned home is we can now see the complete film and I have to say the production is excellent and portrays all the staff in various locations enjoying them selves passing the football to one another. As you will see the staff do really enjoy working at dreams and in one shot appears my wife fame for her at last!! To watch this film brings back so many fond memories of our stay this year.
There are so many positives to this resort, yes it is a family resort and that will mean children, at no time did I see unruly children as there is so much on the resort to entertain children. There are also daily weddings, this did not interfere with our holiday at all. Cleanliness is to the highest standards, friendly staff every where you go, Hilda at the World Café would expand my Spanish vocabulary when we visited for breakfast. Premium brand drinks at all bars and an excellent kids club to name but a few. Yes guests do get up early and towel place it appears that whilst the hotel has a policy it is not enforced. One morning at the main pool we had two bananas occupying the two chairs beside us, they seemed happy enough soaking up the sun. Not much of a tan in fact a little on the yellow side, jaundiced and conversation was extremely difficult, there may have been some language barrier. Eventually the bananas parents turned up some four hours later, I don't know parents these days!! This never provided a problem for ourselves relaxing down at the Preferred beach area.
We again had a great relaxing holiday over two weeks, need we have worried about returning in short no.
Yes you do not have the excitement of exploring a new resort but you do go immediately into holiday mode knowing the routines and where everything is located. Would we go back a third time? If we could not find a resort similar to Dreams which we are already finding extremely hard at the moment then the answer is a definite yes. Thank you Dreams for a second wonderful holiday may be see you next year!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank ahpen_10
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Arrived on the 14th May for 2 weeks. Its was our honeymoon with our 2yr old, both parents and my sister and brother in law.

Arrived to a nice cold flannel to cool us off and found out we were upgraded and were to check in to the preferred club which I had no clue what preferred club was. Rest of the party were checked in as normal reception area. Were given a glass of bubbly and given a king room with hot tub outside on the ground floor at the end of the hotel with a partial sea view. Had fruit and bubbly on in the room.

The room was of a great standard. Really clean with a load of smellies, iron, safe etc. minibar stocked with corona and soft drinks and water. towels sometimes changed twice a day if needed and a nice turn down service in the night.

Pool area is great and no problem getting a sunbed after we had breakfast around 9am. Large pool facing the sea has a bar in it. Didn't use this much as it gets packed with people drinking in there most of the day and no one gets out from what I could see...so you can guess where they go to the toilet!!! Kids pool is nice a warm which was good as we had a few cloudy and rainy days. my boy loved it and there are lifeguards around all day. Entertainment pool as well for a few sports activities. Chefs come out with nibbles around 2pm each day and make sure you grab an ice lolly as they are fresh frozen fruit. Lush!

Food. World café for breakfast was great with loads of selection. Italian was great and the steak restaurant by the beach. We did have an issue with the steak bar. It was full so we asked to be on the waiting list and they gave us a bleeper and said it would be 45mins which was fine. We checked after an hr and the women said she had forgotten about us and said it would be another 30mins which we all found shocking. They then made a table up for us in the fish restaurant next door but we were on our own and felt a bit out of any atmosphere. I tried the rib eye and T-bone here during the holiday. There is a French and Mexican restaurant too.

The bar in the night mainly is in the lobby area which can get quite warm. We would have liked an outside bar for us to have a drink but wedding party's seem to take over around the pool area in the night. There is a wedding here everyday and sometimes two. Tip the barmen too I found as if you don't tip they ignore you after a while. This is for the pool bar and lobby bar!! I found them to be quite ignorant at times. We tipped the waiters and waitresses all the time but if I went to the bar myself especially by the pool I aint got money on me all the time in an all inclusive resort and to get ignored annoyed me at times. Tip the waiter too before you start your evening meal as you get better service than if you tip after.

My wife and her sister had a nail polish in the spa and the nail varnish started coming off after about 12 hours and went back to have it repaired but the same happened again so the quality doesn't match the price!!!

Had a nice holiday and you wont be disappointed choosing this hotel. We wouldn't go back as we would choose a larger resort next time as for two weeks its too long in this hotel. Evening entertainment is repeated week after week so we watched the same shows we had seen the first week.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pazaboy
GerenciaDRERC, Assistant to the General Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear pazaboy,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun!

Please receive our gratitude for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and for your nice remarks regarding your stay.

We will also like to offer you our sincere apologies regarding the lack of attention on behalf of our hostess at Seaside Grill as well as for the bad impression created by the barmen at the pool bar, be certain that we will reinforce their training and communication skills to avoid such scenarios in the future. As per the incident at the beauty salon we will definitely verify this incident to assure they are using the right products in a proper way.

We truly value your recommendation and would love to have another opportunity to indulge you in the service standards that has given Dreams Riviera its international reputation. Should you decide to visit please don’t hesitate on contacting us at info.drerc@dreamsresorts.com and we would certainly offer you several options to keep your family amused at the Riviera Maya.

The Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Could write a whole book on this place, all of it good!! Could also write one word, but as I have to write 200 characters I will leave the one word to describe this place until the very end......Hotel, staff, food, holiday, honeymoon, perfect!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GerenciaDRERC, Assistant to the General Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Kevinheeley,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun!

Perfection is exactly what we aim to achieve here at Dreams Riviera.

We thank you very much for acknowledging our efforts and for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcome you back at Dreams Riviera.

Assistant to the General Manager at Dreams Riviera

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just back from a 10 night stay at the Dreams Riviera. This is my 5th year running coming back to Mexico. I LOVE IT :-) Previous trips always staying in Cancun itself so thought we would try something different, abit more relaxed/chilled for me and my boyfriend, so we thought Dreams.
Everything on arrival went well, lovely room, not the best view but beautiful spacious and clean.
During our 10 night stay we tried all the restaurants, buffet is ok, but quite repetitive, Japanese was lovely, very nice staff. Italian was ok, very noisy for a restaurant, i had pizza and it tasted like something taken straight out of a microwave. Mexican was ok, again.. like most of the restaurants the food was always warm not hot. French was pretty good, better ambiance for a restaurant, staff all very nice. Had a couple bad experiences at the seaside grill. First time the service was absolutly shocking, staff serving us took our order after being sat there for about 20 mins, staff member then came back with the wrong drinks, then again the wrong meals. Very very rushed staff seemed very stressed. Very nearly walked out after 30 mins it was that bad. Second visit was for lunch, my boyfriend ordered a beef sandwich and asked if it was possible to have a tub of coleslaw on the side, the waiter armando told him it was only the hot dog that coleslaw came with, he was very rude and clearly didn't want to go out of his way to give us good service. Small things but all add up to a disappointing meal. During our visits to most restaurants we felt the staff always look for you to tip. I am always happy to tip when i get good service but there service skills shouldn't be based on what tips we leave, it was as if they were annoyed when no tip was left. I just couldn't help comparing these things to the amazing service i have received in previous years in another hotel. Bar staff always fantastic, especially Alfredo down at the beach bar, the bar staff work exceptionally hard.
Cleaners again work exceptionally hard, our cleaner teresa always cleaned our room very well. We ran out of toothpaste one day and had left a small tip for her to say thanks for her hard work and she left us a couple of small tubes to do us till the end of the holiday. Small things like this really make a difference between a 4 and 5 star hotel. Turn down staff always did a great job too, they come in with chocolates and a small newsletter with whats on for the next day, activities, weather etc, lovely touch.
Beach is fab, plenty beds, apart from quite a bit of seaweed but if you walk along the beach a bit you will notice Dreams probably has it alot better than some of the other hotels. Witnessed about 7/8 wedding during our 10 night stay, all beautifully done, but would say, the beach wedding isn't very private, with me sitting with my cocktail in my bikini sweating in the mid day sun while others are taking there vows, can literally hear what theyr saying. One day my boyfriend went to the toilet at the pool and walked in on two members of staff snogging at the sinks. Neither bat an eyelid and continued to make out, very very unprofessional. A couple of times we use there toilets there was no water from the sinks also and toilets wouldn't flush.
My boyfriend treated me to a massage at the spa, very beautiful, massage was amazing and was able to use the facilities all day, one small thing is there is a strange sewage smell around the spa area, quite off putting.
A very family orientated hotel with lots of kids, kids club looked great from what i saw.
All in all it is a nice hotel but a few things let it down, defiantly not a 5 star, wouldn't recommend sorry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amazing2
GerenciaDRERC, Assistant to the General Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear amazing2,

Greetings from Dreams Rivera Cancun!
Please receive on behalf of our management our sincere apologies for not being able to fulfill all your expectations and for any bad impressions during your recent stay at our resort.

Here at Dreams Riviera we are totally conscious of the high value of our guests’ feedback, therefore thank you for the time invested in your hones review, since it is through your observations as a guest that we can keep improving our services by locating our opportunity areas.

For instance, your report regarding the unprofessional behavior of some members of our staff, had actually shocked us and force us to investigate what may had happened in order to prevent such unethical acts among our personnel from happening in the future.

We also appreciate very much your kind words regarding those areas that actually surpassed your expectations. Your gracious words encourage all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to strive even harder to make all your stays at our Resort as enjoyable as possible.

Be certain that Alfredo and Teresa would be very motivated to learn that their hard work has been acknowledged.

Finally, we hope for a new opportunity to indulge you in the service standards that has given Dreams Riviera its international reputation.

The Assistant to the General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from 6 days at Dreams Riveria celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful time and cannot say enough about the outstanding service and delightful staff! From the minute we arrived until we left we were treated like royalty. We had reserved a preferred club ocean view room and our request for a king bed was honored and we were given a great room with view of the pool, beach and ocean.

We normally travel at high-end resorts and Dreams definitely lived up to our high standards.

Some Tips:
1- Men must wear long pants and dress shoes in dinner restaurants and this is strictly enforced
2- There are no dinner reservations taken except for the Himitsu Hibachi- you can reserve at 4pm for later that night and it is definitely worth it!
3- We never had to wait for dinner because we went before 7pm – after 7:30pm it started to fill up fast
4- Lunch is served until 5pm and dinner until 11pm
5- Bring dollar bills for tipping- not required but we found the staff grateful when we tipped
6- Preferred Club Rooms come with a small section of reserved beach huts that are more spreadout than the regular beach area. We never had a problem finding one.
7- Preferred Club Rooms come with a one day pass to the Spa hydrotherapy circuit- this was amazing!
8- Top shelf liquor is available but you must ask for it by name
9- Children are not allowed to dine at Bordeaux however, if you request the wine cave room and purchase wine they are allowed in that area
10- Some restaurants have separate vegetarian menus if you ask for it- El Patio had the most extensive veggie options but all restaurants offered Gluten free and delicious vegetarian choices
11- Save your tourist card that you are given at immigration at the airport- you will need it when you board your return flight

My only complaint has nothing to do with the resort but rather the beach. The sand is a beautiful cool white powder but there was lots of seaweed in the water that made it unpleasant for us to swim. There was a tractor that cleaned up the seaweed on the beach but not much can be done about what is in the water. Other people did not seem to mind as many people were swimming but I prefer a more shallow, clear water without seaweed. Other than that, this resort was fantastic!

Room Tip: The Preferred Club rooms are definately worth it especially the Club Lounge! I would not get a room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lara A

Dear Lara A,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun,

After reading your review we cannot express how grateful we are for your nice remarks. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that the service provided by our staff is surpassing expectations and our guests receive the quality service they deserve.

We look forward to welcome you back and keep adding great holiday experiences to your life.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This resort was amazing. The staff is just great! The excursion staff was amazing and hooked us with so many great tours and attractions, from Mayan Ruins, sea turtles, dolphins, ceynotes and whale sharks. It is a magical place and they are so sweet to you.

Room Tip: You would like either beach or pool side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen W
GerenciaDRERC, Assistant to the General Manager at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Karen W,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun!

Whenever a family leave as happy as yours and decide to present us with such a lovely review we cannot be more grateful.

We look forward for your next visit to offer you and your family an even better experience.

Best Regards!

Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 27 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!