“Fun day out” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Authentic Mexican Cooking Class in Puerto Morelos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This internationally famous school offers day long entertaining, professional Mexican food experiences - a great fun day out. Classes are weekdays (some Saturdays) and the school is located in the seaside village of Puerto Morelos where you can safely wander after lunch adding even more reason to visit! The charming Chef Cristobal Tamariz, leads hands on and demonstration experiences in contemporary and traditional dishes such as tamales and tortillas from scratch, standards done in a new way like guacamole, how to make fish tacos, grilled fish Mayan style, cochinita pibil and much more dependent on each class with 7 different menus from the 7 culinary regions of Mexico. Each week showcases 2 different regions. Presentation tips included! Additionally students learn about the culture and history of Mexico's famous fusion cuisine as well as tastings, learning to make salsas and marinades and hands on tortilla making. Souvenir aprons and recipe booklets are part of the class as is a late lunch of the food prepared and Mexican drinks included!!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We visited the Little Mexican Cooking School last week. My husband is not really a cook and only came along because I had booked it. He really enjoyed it and took an active part in proceedings. It was great to learn more about Mexican food and culture. Most of the people in the class were in couples but everyone was very friendly and the day is interactive so people shouldn't be put off from coming as a single. There is a B&B in addition to the cook school which looked lovely and is only 5 minutes walk from the beach and town centre. The local town is relatively unspoilt despite its proximity to Cancun. Altogether a really enjoyable day out and well worth the cost.

1 Thank RMcGregor_13

Havana, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Better than the last time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I attended the Little Mexican Cooking School 4 years ago. Since then they have moved to a new location in Puerto Morelos which is bigger and better. The new facility affords the opportunity for much more hands on experience. Not only was the food delicious, the ambiance was delightful. I attended by myself and had no difficulty making new friends. Catriona, the owner, has worked hard to make this a memorable experience. Chef Alfonso was personable and knowledgeable. There is now a B&B attached to the cooking school. On my return trip to Puerto Morelos, I will definitely consider staying here.

1 Thank FCSteacher
Paso Robles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cooking class in paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I am in the wine industry so I naturally love food! I also studied Nutrition and Culinary Science when I was in college so food is a big part of my life and cooking is definitely one of my passions. It was my idea to attend this cooking school and I have no idea how I came up with the idea to search cooking schools in Cancun but I'm glad I did. My mom, best friend from childhood and I all attended the class.

We got a taxi ride from our hotel (Westin Lagunamar) which was about a 30 minute commute to the cooking school. It began at 10:30am and went until around 3:30pm so it's a full day commitment. Our taxi driver very kindly waited for us until we were finished and then took us back to the hotel.

When we arrived we were very kindly greeted by the owner of the Bed and Breakfast and Cooking School (she is from Australia which I thought was so awesome because I have lived there for a short time before). She had fresh pastries and coffee all ready for us to enjoy.

The cook/teacher was fantastic…and a very handsome hispanic/italian :-) Overall the class was extremely fun and worth every penny. We started by experimenting with different peppers and making some salsas. We then made Sopes and Tortillas and then got to snack on what we made which was DELICIOUS! Then we went into the kitchen and made some Chicken Mole Casserole, Tortilla Soup, Rice Pudding and some other delicious items. One of the coolest parts was everything was cooked with minimal use of oil so you can really see that true mexican food is healthy and fresh!

I would highly suggest adding this activity into your trip if you are a lover of cooking and learning about different cultures foods!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Marisa W
The Villages, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Best Day of Cooking -- and Eating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

If you'd like to know more about Mexican food and drink -- AND enjoy a delicious meal that you helped prepare -- sign up for this cooking school. You will come away with information on different chiles and how to prepare them. You'll help make three different salsas. THEN you'll work in the kitchen preparing a complete Mexican meal. We had such fun! Be warned -- The food and drinks are delicious!!

1 Thank Betty E
Cape San Blas, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Our party of eight, four in our 50's and four millenials, had a great time with Chef Alfonso. After the initial chile tutorial we prepared our own meal. We learned a lot about the history and culture of Mexico with emphasis on the food. One tip; when you cook the meal, all the students do different tasks. Make sure you can break away from your task to see what the other students are up to.

Visited January 2014