“Over Priced and Over Rated”

The Little Mexican Cooking School
Book In Advance
More Info
US$128.40*
and up
Authentic Mexican Cooking Class in Puerto Morelos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This internationally famous school offers day long entertaining, professional Mexican food experiences - a great fun day out. Classes are weekdays (some Saturdays) and the school is located in the seaside village of Puerto Morelos where you can safely wander after lunch adding even more reason to visit! The charming Chefs Pablo Espinosa and Cristobal Tamariz, lead hands on experiences in contemporary and traditional dishes such as tamales and tortillas from scratch, standards done in a new way like guacamole, how to make fish tacos, grilled fish Mayan style, cochinita pibil and much more dependent on each class with 7 different menus from the 7 culinary regions of Mexico. Each week showcases 2 different regions. Presentation tips included! Additionally students learn about the culture and history of Mexico's famous fusion cuisine as well as tastings, learning to make salsas and marinades and hands on tortilla making. Souvenir aprons and recipe booklets are part of the class as is a late lunch of the food prepared and Mexican fruit drinks included!!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Regina, Canada
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Over Priced and Over Rated”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We attended this one day school in February. There were 14 students in total. The day started off well enough with a fun lesson in identifying chile peppers and their Scoville heat units. Various members had a chance to prepare a variety of Yucatan salsa. However, when we went into the kitchen we all became little more than a chopping line for ingredients for the soup,main course and dessert of the day. There should have been more explanation of what and how to prepare theses dishes. While we did get a photocopied recipe handout and aprons as well as an opportunity to eat what was prepared the day was less than expected and overpriced. The chef was interesting and for the most part a fun presenter but the structure of the day needs some adjustment to get more student engagement. Perhaps fewer students for each school session and smaller groups working on each individual menu item in the kitchen.

2 Thank TravelingMac60
catinmexico, General Manager at The Little Mexican Cooking School, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
We are very glad you enjoyed the lesson and the student participation and our wonderful chef and the delicious food. Thank you also for your suggestions however we do limit the number of students, it is much less than last year. We rarely get comments about the price of the school, unless it is students saying they would have paid twice as much. Students all want to do hands on and love the time in the kitchen - we do have groups doing different dishes, then you get to see what the other group is doing as well as fully experiencing your own. Each student receives a daily printed menu of the day as we often make slight changes on the menu according to available ingredients or dietary wishes of students. We also provide goody bags with aprons handmade by one of our staff and other paperwork. The staff and our chef all pride themselves on the work that goes into creating this event for our guests and we strive to excel every day. We thank you again for your suggestions.

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“interesting but pricey”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I loved the little town of Puerto Morelos. The location of the Cooking School was very beautiful. I might consider staying at the little bed and breakfast. The information on the website about the cooking school was somewhat misleading. The class had too many people. There wasn't enough opportunity to do the "hands on". We had a class of 15. Should only have been 8 maximum. Bit of a language barrier with the chef (or else he really didn't care to answer my question). It was still informative and interesting but was not worth the $128 U.S.

1 Thank Babylegslynn
catinmexico, Manager at The Little Mexican Cooking School, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience, it greatly helps us to look for ways of improvement. You may not know but we have only increased the price of the school once in the 5 years of its existence,even with our costs of living increasing all the time. We did not even change this season after the government raised the taxes by another 5%. To give back to our students we pack the class with information and half the class is spent in the kitchen. We have looked again at our website, which we try to make entertaining and informative, and cannot see where anything is misleading. This year we have kept class to under 16 students even tho' we have the capacity for 24, the website clearly says maximum 18. We encourage students to do as much hands on as they like, some prefer to sit back and watch the others. Chef Alfonso, is passionate about the food and encourages students to ask questions, I am listening him do that right now, we can only suppose that he just did not hear you clearly. Once again thank you for your visit to the school and look forward to seeing you next year, warm regards Catriona Brown
United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“A good experience”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I always wanted to do a cooking class when I am on my travels and this time I finally took the plunge.

I would have liked it to be more hands on (my favourite part was when were got into the kitchen to start prepping). I found the price to be expensive ($127 USD inc. tax). I feel it is suited to a mature crowd.

It was a beautiful venue, I met some great people, we were kept well refreshed and I did learn some new things and the staff were lovely.

3 Thank Fractalcat
Seattle
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Learn, cook, and enjoy!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We had a great time in this class (currently with chef Alfonso). As educators we might be a little more critical of the teaching part of the experience but we all agreed that it was worthwhile and that we learned a lot.

We would have liked a syllabus or overview because honestly we were starving by the time we got to eat anything (and we didn't really know how long it was going to take). To help you plan, the class began at 10:00 and we ate the first course at 12:30. Good to eat a snack before you go (there were delicious cookies and coffee/tea/water when we arrived). We ate our last course at 2:30 and believe me you will be stuffed!

Class starts with a lesson and some history/information from the chef. We all learned a great deal and this part was lecture not hands on.

Next we practiced identifying chiles and the class made four salsas. Maybe it was because we were so hungry by this point but we found this part a bit painful. We recommend that two or three people make salsa at the same time do this doesn't take so long. After we had salsa made and Chef made one and guacamole we each made a tortilla.

I have to admit I was starting to worry at this point about whether we would ever eat. It had been 2.5 hours and not a nibble. An overview would have relieved my worries because just when I thought I would pass out from hunger (plus everything smelled amazing!) two women came from the kitchen with trays of sopes that they had prepared. Incredibly delicious with our salsas and guacamole.

After the first course we all went up to the kitchen and prepared the next three courses. This part was very fun and hands on. More of what I had expected. In about an hour we created three more dishes. I agree with another reviewer who suggested you step away from your station to see what everyone else is doing. A lot of great cooking!

Overall totally worthwhile. Hopefully this review will help you enjoy the first half knowing what is coming.

¡Buen provecho!

3 Thank SeattleViajero
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun day out”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We visited the Little Mexican Cooking School last week. My husband is not really a cook and only came along because I had booked it. He really enjoyed it and took an active part in proceedings. It was great to learn more about Mexican food and culture. Most of the people in the class were in couples but everyone was very friendly and the day is interactive so people shouldn't be put off from coming as a single. There is a B&B in addition to the cook school which looked lovely and is only 5 minutes walk from the beach and town centre. The local town is relatively unspoilt despite its proximity to Cancun. Altogether a really enjoyable day out and well worth the cost.

1 Thank RMcGregor_13