“Wonderful Experience!”

and up
Authentic Mexican Cooking Class in Puerto Morelos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This internationally famous school offers day long entertaining, professional Mexican food experiences - a great fun day out. The school is located in the seaside village of Puerto Morelos where you can safely wander after lunch adding even more reason to visit! The charming Chef Cristobal Tamariz, leads hands on experiences in contemporary and traditional dishes such as tamales and tortillas from scratch, standards done in a new way like guacamole, how to make fish tacos, grilled fish Mayan style and much more dependent on each class with different menus from the various culinary regions of Mexico. Presentation tips included! Additionally students learn about the culture and history of Mexico's famous fusion cuisine as well as tastings, learning to make salsas and marinades and hands on tortilla making. Souvenir aprons and recipe booklets are part of the class as is a late lunch of the food prepared and Mexican fruit drinks included!!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My sisters and I had a wonderful time at the Little Mexican Cooking School with Chef Alfonso! He started with indigenous mexican cooking, explaining about the different peppers and other ingredients in the salsa that we then made. It was very hands on, we took turns cooking,chopping, grinding and tending.
We sampled all the different salsas on corn tortillas with beans and all the fixings.
We then moved into the commercial kitchen and together we made a meal of soup, enchiladas, sauces, and dessert. And yes we ate it all! Don't eat a thing before you go, so much to taste and sample! We really enjoyed the lessons as well as the time we spent with each other, day and money well spent!
We made a delicious fresh tuna meal the next day with our new knowledge and inspiration!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent a day last week at the Little Mexican Cooking School, and we loved it. Let me tell you what to expect. When you arrive you will see a nice patio area, a small store, and be offered refreshments -- coffee with some kind of Mexican kick, homemade pastries.

There were 14 people in our class. After a brief introduction from owner Catriona Brown, we were handed over to the very engaging and energetic chef Pablo Espinosa. This was actually his first day back after a two year absence getting his restaurant, El Nicho, also in Puerto Morelos, off the ground. I don't know what the chef rotation is these days, but if you can get a class with Chef Pablo DO IT!

He started us out on the lovely patio, where he launched us into the preparation of a couple of beautiful salsa dishes. He was good about involving the guests, but do not go into this expecting that each person or couple is going to have their own station and complete all the steps of the meal. No. Chef Pablo will pull different people into different tasks at different times, but you will ultimately spend more time listening and observing and discussing than you will with a knife in your hand.

After the vegetables for the salsas were going, we were all led into the kitchen. Over the next three hours or so, Pablo demonstrated recipes and techniques, and prepared, with our active involvement, a variety of local dishes. On our day, there were mango salsa, cilantro rice, gorditas, avocado soup, coconut-encrusted yellow fin tuna, and a chocolate tarte for dessert.

The atmosphere was relaxed, fun, convivial, warm -- all the things I view Mexico to be. We enjoyed getting to know our fellow guests, who came from many points in Canada and the U.S. Chef Pablo was attentive and funny, profane in just the right measure, and determined to lead us to a great meal.

When it was all ready, we repaired back to the patio and had our lunch. Let me tell you, it was great. These were not hyper-complex recipes -- no 60 ingredient moles here. But they were fresh, flavorful, delicious. The very sweet, and barely English-enabled, Mexican helper staff served fruit juices.

The day ended after the lunch, with a tote bag of little goodies, such as aprons that one of the girls there had made.

Five green circles for me! I highly recommend this experience. It was so enjoyable that I would consider staying at the associated bed & breakfast (http://www.casacaribepuertomorelos.com/) on a future trip. Yeah, that sounds as if I'm shilling for this place, but no, I am just a guy who spent the day at the cooking school and found it charming.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

A group of friends attended this past Feb. Over all we had a nice time. The people are very nice. I do feel that they could manage their time better. Start the hardest project first so it can have time to cook instead of rushing it and everyone having to sit around and wait. Kinda reverse the order of things to do. We didn't even stay for dessert because we had to wait so long. People pay a lot of money to do something like this and take part of their vacation so to speed it up and really analyze what takes the longest and get it started first. The other disappointment was in the gift bag you receive. I've seen in the past really cute aprons with a patch or monogram logo from the school….The aprons we got had absolutely nothing on them. As a apron collector I was disappointed and felt that someone was trying to cut corners somewhere. I live in the area and will be having lots of guests to visit but probably wouldn't put this at the top of my "to do" list.

1  Thank YFoshee
Reviewed 24 April 2014

If your looking for something unique and non-touristy this is the perfect way to spend a day on vacation. I learned so much about Mexican cooking and gained the confidence to try making some of my own salsas and tortillas at home. We received an adorable apron and copies of the recipes we made plus a few extras to try at home. This was a day well spent!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Before we left California we booked a cooking class at The Little Mexican Cooking School for one day during our stay at the Grand Mayan Palace. I must admit I was a little dubious before I got there but what a delight. The class consisted of maybe 10 people, the hostess/hotel owner was extremely polite and gracious. Our chef Alfonso was wonderful! I learned more about preparing salsa then I ever knew before and the rest of his meal from enchiladas, possole and his dessert were fabulous. I am not sure what I was expecting because being of Mexican descent I thought I knew a lot - Chef Alfonso impressed me. I just left there on 3/28 and would love to go back just to attend another class. Ole! for the Little Mexican Cooking School.

1  Thank gloria o