I found this hotel by googling "camping in riviera maya" and im really happy i stayed here. I brought my tent just in case i couldnt find any rooms, and i had an awesome time camping on their literally beach front property. It so funny to have the dreams resort next door, but it still felt private. i heard music one night (out of the 5) i stayed here coming from next door, but it was not a bother.
In the mornings i could roll out of my tent onto a lounge chair and watch the ocean.
When i was here there was only a few other tents and the last two nights i had the place to my self. Nice bathrooms and showers, (hot water!) which was nice at night when it was a bit chillier. very clean in both.
i met some wonderful people here, and the owners are very accomadating and pleasant to chat with,especially Daisy. they speak both english and spanish, and french
it was pretty windy when i was there, so sometimes i worried my tent would blow away, but there were some protected areas. really felt like i had my own private beach front property
the cabanas are colorful and rustic, i didnt stay in any but i would another time. this place had character in contrast to the resorts and private condos next door. such a funny juxtapostion, but im glad the owners have kept it this way.
you are about 2.5km away from the center of the town of puerto morelos, but it really isnt a bad walk down the beach, and once in the center of this sleepy fishing village, its easy to hop a collectivo (5 pesos) to the main highway and catch another collectivo (30 pesos) to playa del carmen to spend the day..or i would grab breakfast in playa and hop another colletivo to tulum (35 -40 pesos) to spend the afternoon. there are collectivos running from playa del carmen to cancun (pto morelos is just before cancun) 24 hrs.
if you dont feel like walking the beach back to acamaya a taxi is 90pesos
they also rent bikes at acamaya for cheaper than in town, which i thought id do but in the end didnt need to. walking was fine and occasionally the taxi ride home.
this was a great place to stay, super close to the airport (20min in a bus that goes direct from airport to pto morelos highway entrance) and just chill out. Definitely alot alot quieter than playa del carmen, with maybe not as much to do at night but i was ok with that. The beaches were nice, not as beautiful as tulum, but to be right on the beach is awesome.
very enjoyable chill time, i will be back :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Description: Welcome to “Acamaya Reef Cabañas & Beach Club” in Puerto Morelos, a unique Hotel on the beach with cabanas in the Caribbean Sea with its own style, simple, charming and comfortable and above all let’s not forget that we are an Eco-hotel, trying to improve in recycling and other activities to help the world to be a better place.We are located in the middle of the Puerto Morelos National Marine Park with the Second Largest Reef in the World right in front of our little cabanas, making it an even more special place to stay. You can go on a Snorkeling Tour right from the hotel and enjoy the fantastic coral formations where you will see hundreds of multi-colored fishes.We are not a five star resort; we are only a Puerto Morelos Eco-hotel on the Beach! with cabanas But we have all of the needed services like Massages right on the beach, Restaurant and Bar Service, Kayaks and Bike rentals, free parking lot, free wireless Internet and we also have the Concierge service for anything else you may need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Priceline so you can book your Acamaya Reef reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acamaya Reef Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Acamaya Reef Puerto Morelos
- Acamaya Reef Riviera Maya, Mexico