“Azul Beach Hotel - Beautiful but.......”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Karisma are a fantastic high-end hotel brand which I have had the pleasure of visiting a few of their resorts and cannot recommend them enough. Whilst the cost is not on the cheap side, the quality is second to non.

My trip was on May 18th 2014 for 11 nights and was a bit of a "mum and me time" holiday so wanted to book something that would be a nice reward for all of the hard work we had been putting into our jobs recently.

I am used to working with 5 Star brands which you could say is a curse when booking my own annual holiday... but I want to emphasise that the service, the hotel itself, the wonderful people working in the resort and more or less everything about the actual resort has all been magnificent it's a beautiful hotel, small and refined, with swinging day beds, thatched roofs, beach butler service and blue champaign handed out with a cold towel upon arrival. You get to choose what pillow you want to sleep on, what smell in the room you prefer and are made to feel completely welcomed with a lovely rustic feel hotel room that awaits you with your cases taken directly for you. Nothing is too much to ask for and everything is wonderful.......however where the disappointment creeps in is the consumption of the resort to weddings!

Please, do not think we are miserable in fact the first few were very lovely to see and we really didn't mind and even watched from afar with smiles and happiness for the newlyweds. However after the first two days of beach areas and restaurants being closed off, wedding party's spilling into the only couple of small bar areas in the resort and you generally feeling bad and trying to dodge the wedding photographer every day whilst wearing a bikini and sarong it really does get a tad annoying. There was a wedding everyday, sometimes even two and with guest ranging up to parties of forty you simply couldn't get away from it or crowds of wedding party people. Beautiful for the wedding parties, not so idealistic for the normal paying guest as we were. The resort is so intimate and beautiful of course why wouldn't you want your wedding here but as a normal guest it's very unfair as there's no escape from it as it is such an intimate resort.

As a positive the holiday was amazingly bliss daily up until 4:30pm and then the wedding music would play over the PA around the resort and the ceremony would start and then the restaurant areas cornered off.
We even spent three nights having room service and watching films as we got fed up of large wedding crowds which is not really what we booked the holiday for. Please dont' get me wrong we met some really lovely people who were part of various wedding parties, but I'm just talking about our overall holiday experience and what we was and wasn't expecting from this holiday.

I would imagine that this is a seasonal thing but as I paid a little over £4000 for this holiday for two people (my mum and myself) I really do feel strongly that you should be made aware about the weddings prior to booking due to the resort being small which is also what gives it its beautiful charm.

On a positive note use the Spa its fab and you never have to que or wait for anything or save beds by the pool. You need to ensure you reserved your day bed on the beach should you want one at 3pm the previous day.Theres also not a lot going on during the evening which suits some just fine depending what you want, but weddings put aside its definitely a 'chilled' holiday. Restaurant wise if you dont eat fish or a fussy eater like my mum then your options will be limited but if not then you'll be very happy. Only thing is the desert dishes are very limited...I think options everywhere are only Chocolate Brownie, Ice Cream, White Moose and Cheesecake....great for the waistline though!

Take the weddings out of the equation it's a beautiful resort all round! Apologies to all the wedding parties as I'm sure you simply had the best time ever ;)

YOU MUST GO TO COCO BONGOS IN CANCUN IT'S AWESOME!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Natz3099999999
Write a ReviewReviews (3,616)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed eight incredible days at this resort for my sons wedding. They had about 40 guests, family & friends, everyone appeared to have a great time. The service was excellent, the rooms were wonderful, and the food was great. All of our travel arrangements were made by The Tropical Travelers, Jennifer Carr, she did a great job organizing the entire trip for everyone, including the transportation from the airport.

I would love to return soon.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be a good choice, our group had rooms in all areas of the resort and everyone...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went to Azul Beach for a friend's wedding and it was fantastic. Whether you prefer a relaxing vacation or a more adventurous trip, this place will accommodate. On that note, though, I will say that the outings offered through the hotel, for example to the Mayan ruins or Xcaret, are a bit limited; you can't really customize your agenda as much as you might think. That's my only criticism, and it's a small one.

Other than that, Azul Beach is perfect. The water is clear and the beaches beautiful. The staff is professional and friendly, even happily willing to help a white boy practice his Spanish. Food and rooms were good, too. It was a great time, and Jenn Carr and The Tropical Travelers made booking easy. I highly recommend Azul Beach if you're looking for an all-inclusive trip to Mexico.

2  Thank TC_Sprencel
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent twelve wonderful days at this hotel in April, along with thirty plus guests at my daughter's wedding.
The wedding coordinators were amazing. Their calm, professional approach was very reassuring and the ceremony, cocktail party and evening reception were perfectly organised. A good time was had by all!
I love this hotel. It was spotlessly clean, well designed and extremely comfortable. I must mention the luxurious spa and the friendly hotel staff who did all they possibly could to make our stay a memorable one.
I can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank catherinewallace33
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Azul Beach crew and Beach Bum Steve made this trip incredible for me and my friends. We were there for a friend's wedding and it couldn't have been a better experience. Everyone so so amazing and helpful. Every single staff member that we encountered was more than willing to help with whatever we needed at any given time, with a smile on their face. Beach Bum Steve, thank you so much for making this trip so easy and relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Steelerach
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friends were married here and we had the most incredible experience. The service was fantastic, the property prestige, and the help we received by our travel agent Steve Beach Bum, was above and beyond. I highly recommend! I hope to return someday soon.

• Stayed: May 2014
20  Thank Howdydoodiepartner
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Azul Beach was an unforgettable experience! We were fortunate enough to get to stay there for a wedding in May. The staff was warm, friendly, and overall, went above and beyond for all of our needs and wants. The bride and groom stayed in a Villa which added to the wonderful experience at the resort. Hans, the butler at the Villa, was by far my favorite member of the staff, as did everything in his power to make sure we were having the time of our lives! The restaurants were great, the alcohol kept flowing and the views were STUNNING! I would recommend this resort to any and everyone who was considering a vacation in Mexico. Beach Bum Steve set us all up at Azul Beach and assisted with every question we had along the way. A friend of mine accidentally left her suitcase at the hotel and Steve made sure it was delivered to us in Tulum--which is over an hour away! This was an incredible experience that we will never forget! Thank you Beach Bum Steve and Azul Beach!!

24  Thank mazis11
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! it was an honor to your holiday. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed various experienced that are offered at the Azul Beach Hotel.

your comments will be shared with our employees, especially those mentioned. It is very special when a member of our staff is recognized for their efforts and I will ensure that this will not go unnoticed. A big thanks to Steve from Beach Bum for reccommending us to you.

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for choosing the Azul Beach hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#58 of 215 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!