“Already off to a bad start day 1”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston
“Already off to a bad start day 1”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Check in and given a room not as described. Ocean Front Jacuzzi Junior Suite. A whole lot of money for to have pretty much blocked views of ocean front because we basically have to stand at just the perfect corner our patio to even see a little spec of ocean. This place is a ripoff already. Will update tomorrow with day #2.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TWDUGAS
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your comments , I am truly very sorry to hear that your vacation did not get off to the perfect start . we are in communication with you and we will ensure you have the perfect Gourmet Inclusive vacation here at the Azul Beach Hotel

Best regards

Peter Hechler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is my 2nd review of the Azul Beach. Myself and my partner went back to the Azul for our 2 week vacation, fully knowing that what awaited us was bliss. UK travellers be sure to go Thompson Premium, what a lovely trip!

Check in was a performance, 3 different people had our check in papers and not one of them actually got us checked in within an acceptable time. 30 minutes after arriving we were being checked in and offered a room upgrade. Honeymoon sweet for 600USD more, bargain but we were happy with a standard deluxe. Room was well kept throughout the entire stay, maids made our room very organised and even left us a towel elephant which we names Norman! Couple of occasions we were left with the mini bar un-stocked and turn down service @ 6.30pm is far too early.

Food was amazing, particularly the Latin and Asian restaurants. The staff at the restaurants were equally as amazing, this is also the case for the bar staff particularly Mateo the beach barman. This guy works his socks off in that heat and never forgot my name... from the previous stay in October!

Beach Staff in the hut on the beach were again amazing. Joan, Israel and Gino were all amazing guys and I am very happy we got to see them again this time round.

The let down for us (apart from mother nature and her 4 days of bad storms) was the front desk and the prestige staff. We received an offer, to celebrate 10 yrs of Azul Beach we would be offered 1 of 3 things... after this is we listened to a prestige membership pitch we could get some other things. Turned out that mistakenly they spelt our surname wrong by 2 letters so withdrew the first part of the offer. We went to the second part not really knowing what it was... 90 mins later we were asked if a £5,000 membership was for us. No, no it is not. We said we are moving house and the lady persisted with the hard sell. We said no. From then on, she didn't even acknowledge us for the entire trip. Complained to the front desk, nothing was done. Unfortunate to say the least as the concierge we had was a lovely person just didn't really help that we were messed around.

Overall, I would still highly recommend this hotel because it is simply perfection. I think unless you have 2 weeks in high season, 7-10 days is enough as there is not an awful lot to do if it rains. Tequila tasting and Chichen Itza are worth it, although certain brands of Tequila are much cheaper at Cancun airport.

Only other downside was the amount of weddings and children. Wedding parties took up pretty much 2 of 4 restaurants the entire trip and there were ALOT of young children. Again, wouldn't stop us going back but just worth noting that there is a lot of wedding interest here.

Room Tip: Decline first upgrade, second price is usually better by half
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas L
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community. All comments have been addressed and I can assure you that immediate improvements have been made.

We thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and I look forward to your next visit

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The slogan is something like "All-inclusive gourmet experience" but it should be "You Get What You Get and You Don't Throw a Fit."

Do the math. I wish I had.

A couple of our best friends and a some family really love the Mexican Riviera, so my daughter and I decided to tag along and see what all the hype was about. We chose the Azul Beach Hotel because of the swim-up suites and the availability of ocean front room. We decided to splurge, because it looked beautiful on-line and I had never enjoyed an all-inclusive experience before. Plus, because I love dining experiences, the "gourmet" tagline really enticed me.

Color me unimpressed. Best thing I had there were chicken nuggets off the kids' menu. But even WORSE than that disappointment was the attitude of the front office staff and concierges. I was charged for everything up-front (I reserved through the hotel's website), and when things went wrong, no one would help me. They just shuffled me off to another office and another department, where the answer was always "no." I spent hours of precious, expensive vacation time arguing about a prepaid shuttle fee (shuttle never showed up). This was always someone else's responsibility. I was told to come back when so-and-so would arrive, go to the transportation desk, find documents, come back, turn around three times and touch my toes, do the hokey pokey, but no, sorry...we were just kidding! You will never see your pre-paid money again.

The entire resort experience was a crap-shoot. Most of the service staff were gracious and friendly, but some just snarled. Some basic requests were granted, others denied on whim. If there was a problem, there would never be follow-up or accountability. It was always someone else's fault.

On the plus side, the rooms, the beach and the spa were supreme. Wilmer gave me one of the best massages of my life. I wanted to weep and hug him because finally someone knew what he was doing. The lifeguard on duty was friendly, knowledgeable and informative. The bartenders and waiters at the beach and pool bar were fantastic (and believe me, drinking was about the biggest highlight of my vacation). Javier at the sushi "river" was so sweet and eager to please, although there was nothing he could do about the unfortunate quality of sushi.

I promise I am not a demanding princess who has to have her way all the time. I am a high-low traveler who loves street food and quirky inns as well as grand luxury hotels and chef-driven restaurants. I just expected management and front office staff to give one or two hoots about pleasing guests.

So back to the math: Price the rates at the best hotels in the area (Rosewood Mayakoba?), or maybe Hawaii or something, add a couple hundred a night per person for a really nice dinner anywhere you want, and you will still be paying more money for this "all-inclusive" mediocrity.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Roseanne F
Thank you for your recent review , it is very disappointing to read your review and some of the statements that you have included. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of our service , attitude or overall experience.

we want all our guests to have a excellent vacation experience from the moment you arrival to the time we have to say goodbye. Our menus can be found on our Karisma Hotels website and I can assure you that we serve a variety of exquisite dishes that will awake your senses.

again , it is very sad to hear of your comments and I urge you to contact myself or our Head of customer services ( customerservices@karismamexico.com) so we can continue our communication directly.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went to the Azul Beach Hotel last September for my sisters wedding. It was excellent! The rooms were gorgeous, the pools were private and clean. The beach was stunning and the beach side cabanas were the definition of luxury! But more than all that, the service and the food were absolutely out of this world! The best "resort" food you'll ever have! The wedding was held on a small seaside private deck/cabana and it was breathtaking! My sister didn't have a single worry because the hotel took care of everything! Truly a great trip, I would LOVE to go back again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review. It is very special and there is no better reward than to hear about your awesome experiences at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Again many thanks and I hope to see you very soon at the Azul Beach Resort.

Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our five days at Azul Beach were nothing short of amazing. Our son and his beautiful bride were married there in mid-May, where 40+ family and friends joined us for the celebration. Our 'deluxe' room was perfect, and included a balcony with a lovely view of both a pool and the ocean. Some guests stayed in swim up rooms, some in suites including a Fisher Price one, others in deluxe rooms like ours. Everyone seemed happy and satisfied with their accommodations and housekeeping. Food and drink was abundant and delicious, and as an all-inclusive resort, was available at no charge 24/7. We enjoyed at least one meal in each of the five restaurants; every one of them was truly delicious. Service was outstanding and always with a smile. The weather was perfect with temperatures in the mid to upper 80s. Much as we had looked forward to a wedding ceremony on the beach, rain caused it to be moved inside to a section of the lobby that had been magically transformed into a picturesque almost-outdoor chapel. The reception was moved to the ballroom where we enjoyed a wonderful evening of dinner (beautifully presented) and dancing. Azul Beach Resort had been chosen because it is both family- and wedding-friendly. Our children are now all married, but we plan to return to Azul Beach again - hopefully soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sunflower492014
Thank you for your wonderful feedback ! it was an honor to your holiday. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed various experienced that are offered at the Azul Beach Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you soon for another amazing vacation!

Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our family of seven adults and one nine-month old spent the last seven nights at the Azul Beach Hotel and loved every minute. We enjoyed the entire staff but feel it necessary to give a special thank you to the excellent service and professionalism of the following individuals who helped to make our vacation so memorable.

The beach butlers worked tirelessly and cheerfully to set up, cleanup and maintain the beauty of our cabanas. Thank you Gino and Israel and all your co-workers. The recreation crew worked with every age to make sure all were having a wonderful time. We send a special thank you to Jezer who gave us a family salsa lesson. He and Fernando were tirelessly and good-naturedly engaging all the guests. Lupita took special care of our nine-month old grandson and our little guy just loved her. Patricia, in the spa, gave an awesome massage to a few of us. Captain Javier gave all of us a wonderful sailing experience. Mateo kept the drinks coming on the beach and always with a smile. Wilbert and Javier were our favorite bartenders. Josue and Ruben were two of our favorite waiters and we really enjoyed Jose from the Asian restaurant, who was especially good with our grandchild.

The food was very good. We were very impressed with Javier who prepared all the sushi on the sushi river. Also, the concierges were very courteous and helpful, making golf and other arrangements (even helping us to get favorable prices). Finally, our rooms were immaculately maintained on a daily basis. Thank you all!

As you can see from these comments, we had a truly wonderful experience, made possible by an exceptional staff. By way of constructive criticism, the check-in process seemed laborious and inefficient and could be streamlined.

During the week we met any number of other guests who, without exception, remarked that they were also extremely pleased with their experience at Azul Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
hank you for your wonderful review and kind words, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm very proud of each and Every Employee at the Azul Beach Hotel and will share your comments with all. There is no better reward than to receive such comments from our guests.

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for choosing the Azul Beach hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We went on this vacation with such high expectations after reading the great reviews and splurging on the high price tag!! We were sadly disappointed. My husband and I spent 6 nights at Azul Beach with our three children - ages 8, 6, and 3, and my 65-year old mother. The food was the biggest disappointment. We've stayed at 2 other high-end all-inclusives in the Riviera Maya and Azul Beach is nowhere near the food quality of the other resorts (and they don't tout themselves as 'Gourmet Inclusive', as does Azul Beach). We are not picky eaters, either. I'll eat just about anything that won't eat me first, so for me to not be satisfied with the food says a lot! When you ask for orange juice at lunch, dinner, or at the bars, you get something similar to Tang...it's an orange sugary mix of who-knows-what...same goes for if you ask for a different kind of juice, same substance, just a different color! Food often still had that 'fresh from the freezer' taste. The beef quality was especially poor. The only great thing I had at Azul was the ceviche. The rest was either very heavy (lots of cream and butter trying to disguise the lack of quality, I suspect) or just plain bad. They tried to make up for it in presentation (big plates, small 'fancy' portions), but it just wasn't enough. They also lacked variety and desserts were pretty much non-existent (churros at Latino is the only dessert worth mentioning).

The other huge disappointment was the reception area. They are clearly managed in a way that makes them terrified to deviate from the rules imposed on them (they can't seem to make even minor decisions without 'approval'), making them very inflexible and unaccommodating (hence several other reviews complaining of the reception area).

On the positive side, the wait staff (especially Marcos & Manuel!), the spa staff, and the young ladies at Azulitos Playhouse are very accommodating and genuine, although they seem to be overworked. Also of note, they literally had weddings every day of our stay, and because of the small size of the resort, the weddings took over the hotel and it's staff. We really wanted to love this resort, but sadly it fell very short. We will not return, nor will we recommend it to anyone.

Stayed June 2014
10 Thank Gabriela B
Thank you for your recent reviews and it is very disappointing to hear that your experiences fell short of your expectations. We pride ourselves on the superior family vacation experience we offer to our guests and do our utmost to ensure we, not only reach but, exceed all expectations.

I can assure you we only use the freshest ingredients , many of the vegetables and herbs used are homegrown at our greenhouse located at our sister hotel , the El Dorado Royale. We use the finest cuts of meat and source our meat both locally and also meats that are USDA approved.

I would like you to know that all comments have been well received and your feedback has been carefully considered.

Best Regards

#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,984 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!