“Spectacular wedding, hit or miss service”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Spectacular wedding, hit or miss service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My first all inclusive! I love luxury and boutique hotels but this was my first all inclusive. The prices are very reasonable for an american tourist, but for mexico it is quite pricey. The landscape, furniture and decor is unbeatable throughout. We attended a wedding on the beach and every detail was managed well. The food was mostly fantastic! The sushi was probably the best I have ever had.

The service was definitely hit or miss. The room service and room cleaning staff were superb. The Asian restaurant was equally impressive. The service at the latin restaurant and the front desk staff overall was sub-par. The main pool bar where everyone gathered late night was also a bit off when it came to service. It was here where if you tipped excessively well, you got whatever you want when you wanted it. If you did not tip, they barely served you at all and treated those folks third class. But tips were included right? Since i worked in the service industry before of course I tip, even when not needed, but these gentleman tending bar were so blatantly rude to a lot guests that it was obvious and out of character for a high end resort.

Overall I want to stay at nice and expensive places to thoroughly enjoy all aspects of the trip. At Azul Beach, I can't help but think that I expect high end service for these prices with o worries in the world and we didn't always receive it.

Room Tip: Swim up pool to your room! yes, do it. it's worth it.
1 Thank Dennis O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Polish first
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've stayed at several all-inclusive resorts and this one was likely my favorite. The whole resort had an intimate feel and you never had to fight for a lounge chair or wait for a table at the restaurants. I loved the swing beds in the lobby, pool bar, and on the beach! Those alone made me giddy about this place, but I was also very impressed with the food! I usually find all-inclusive resort food to be mediocre, but everything I had at Azul Beach was great!

We were upgraded to the Azul Suite, which was huge and mostly great. The air conditioning had to be fixed during our stay, but the bathroom was incredible and we had so much space to spread out.

The main pool was a bit small... but I spent a lot of my stay there anyway floating around and enjoying smoothies from the bar. And the beach, while quite narrow, was still nice and the water was beautiful and calm.

The spa was also great. I enjoyed a beach-side massage and would highly recommend.

Overall, great stay and I would definitely return to this resort after trying the other Karisma properties.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Overall, Azul Beach was better then expected. Everyday the staff was consistently friendly and helpful.I feel it was very family friendly even for teenagers. We would stay again. Pros:1. Food very good and no reservations needed for meal. Good variety on food choices We loved breakfast buffet at Blue .2. Beach cabanas! We loved lounging on the beach all day and getting service there if desired. 3. Service- when we needed something in our room or on the property it was addressed quickly. 4. Location- an easy 20 minutes from the airport but out of the craziness of Cancun.5. Entertainment- They had 3 great activity directors keeping our teenagers busy with volleyball, soccer, ping- pong. They also had yoga on the beach and water aerobics which I participated in both. At night, there was music or a show every evening. Only wish they had music/dancing a little later but there are many families with small kids there. Cons- ( nothing that would stop us from returning) 1. beds in Villa 3 too soft for me- personal preference 2. Beach not the best for snorkeling but that was OK.3. Massages on site were good but not exceptional. I would not do that again based on the cost. Tips: 1. get in line at 230 pm to reserve your cabana for the next day. 2. Bring lots of $1 to tip. It's not expected but they are so nice and working hard to make your stay good 3. book transportation before you arrive because there is a charge for local calls too! I did a google search and pre paid before we arrived- no issues 4. there is a wi fi charge per device. I would use it. Business center computers were slow and full of spam. Have fun and email with specific questions. I'm a details person and loved the details to attention at Azul Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank wakelang
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just returned from a 7 day honeymoon experience at Azul Beach and it was a wonderful experience! I have been to other all inclusives in the area, and although Azul Beach is smaller, it makes up for size with quality, and service. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with cool towels, and chose both pillow types and aromatherapy sprays. We upgraded to the honeymoon suite and it was absolotuley PERFECT. It had a large jacuzzi tub along with an ocean view!

The food was pretty good for an all inclusive, and we were very impressed with both offerings and plating. We had an exceptionally good experience at Latino. As mentioned, desserts (besides the churros) were somewhat lacking, but I am a dessert freak! We reserved Cabanas everyday at 3pm for the following day and never had an issue. The Cabana wait staff were very attentive and always kept our drinks filled :). We have to mention Jessir, he was an excellent employee and served to make our week both memorable and fun, we were sad to leave him! Also, Jorge at the Aquanox bar went above and beyond.

My only other thing is that if you are looking for things to do at night, it kind of dies down around 9-10pm besides the occasional rowdy wedding party. As we were looking for a relaxing week, this was not an issue but we were kind of surprised they did not have a dance club etc that some of the other all inclusive do.

All in all- the PERFECT place for a relaxing. gorgeous, and delicious honeymoon! We will definitely recommend to others as it is a much closer ride to and from airport than Playa del Carmen resorts!

1 Thank Alison T
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you, it is always very rewarding to read the comments and feedback from our valued guests. We do our best to provide all our guests with a unique vacation experience where famililes and couples like can enjoy superior quality and Gourmet Inclusive Experience in a relaxing beachfront enviroment.

We hope to see you again very soon at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Best Regards,

Houston
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Check in and given a room not as described. Ocean Front Jacuzzi Junior Suite. A whole lot of money for to have pretty much blocked views of ocean front because we basically have to stand at just the perfect corner our patio to even see a little spec of ocean. This place is a ripoff already. Will update tomorrow with day #2.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TWDUGAS
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your comments , I am truly very sorry to hear that your vacation did not get off to the perfect start . we are in communication with you and we will ensure you have the perfect Gourmet Inclusive vacation here at the Azul Beach Hotel

Best regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is my 2nd review of the Azul Beach. Myself and my partner went back to the Azul for our 2 week vacation, fully knowing that what awaited us was bliss. UK travellers be sure to go Thompson Premium, what a lovely trip!

Check in was a performance, 3 different people had our check in papers and not one of them actually got us checked in within an acceptable time. 30 minutes after arriving we were being checked in and offered a room upgrade. Honeymoon sweet for 600USD more, bargain but we were happy with a standard deluxe. Room was well kept throughout the entire stay, maids made our room very organised and even left us a towel elephant which we names Norman! Couple of occasions we were left with the mini bar un-stocked and turn down service @ 6.30pm is far too early.

Food was amazing, particularly the Latin and Asian restaurants. The staff at the restaurants were equally as amazing, this is also the case for the bar staff particularly Mateo the beach barman. This guy works his socks off in that heat and never forgot my name... from the previous stay in October!

Beach Staff in the hut on the beach were again amazing. Joan, Israel and Gino were all amazing guys and I am very happy we got to see them again this time round.

The let down for us (apart from mother nature and her 4 days of bad storms) was the front desk and the prestige staff. We received an offer, to celebrate 10 yrs of Azul Beach we would be offered 1 of 3 things... after this is we listened to a prestige membership pitch we could get some other things. Turned out that mistakenly they spelt our surname wrong by 2 letters so withdrew the first part of the offer. We went to the second part not really knowing what it was... 90 mins later we were asked if a £5,000 membership was for us. No, no it is not. We said we are moving house and the lady persisted with the hard sell. We said no. From then on, she didn't even acknowledge us for the entire trip. Complained to the front desk, nothing was done. Unfortunate to say the least as the concierge we had was a lovely person just didn't really help that we were messed around.

Overall, I would still highly recommend this hotel because it is simply perfection. I think unless you have 2 weeks in high season, 7-10 days is enough as there is not an awful lot to do if it rains. Tequila tasting and Chichen Itza are worth it, although certain brands of Tequila are much cheaper at Cancun airport.

Only other downside was the amount of weddings and children. Wedding parties took up pretty much 2 of 4 restaurants the entire trip and there were ALOT of young children. Again, wouldn't stop us going back but just worth noting that there is a lot of wedding interest here.

Room Tip: Decline first upgrade, second price is usually better by half
1 Thank Thomas L
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community. All comments have been addressed and I can assure you that immediate improvements have been made.

We thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and I look forward to your next visit

Best Regards,

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The slogan is something like "All-inclusive gourmet experience" but it should be "You Get What You Get and You Don't Throw a Fit."

Do the math. I wish I had.

A couple of our best friends and a some family really love the Mexican Riviera, so my daughter and I decided to tag along and see what all the hype was about. We chose the Azul Beach Hotel because of the swim-up suites and the availability of ocean front room. We decided to splurge, because it looked beautiful on-line and I had never enjoyed an all-inclusive experience before. Plus, because I love dining experiences, the "gourmet" tagline really enticed me.

Color me unimpressed. Best thing I had there were chicken nuggets off the kids' menu. But even WORSE than that disappointment was the attitude of the front office staff and concierges. I was charged for everything up-front (I reserved through the hotel's website), and when things went wrong, no one would help me. They just shuffled me off to another office and another department, where the answer was always "no." I spent hours of precious, expensive vacation time arguing about a prepaid shuttle fee (shuttle never showed up). This was always someone else's responsibility. I was told to come back when so-and-so would arrive, go to the transportation desk, find documents, come back, turn around three times and touch my toes, do the hokey pokey, but no, sorry...we were just kidding! You will never see your pre-paid money again.

The entire resort experience was a crap-shoot. Most of the service staff were gracious and friendly, but some just snarled. Some basic requests were granted, others denied on whim. If there was a problem, there would never be follow-up or accountability. It was always someone else's fault.

On the plus side, the rooms, the beach and the spa were supreme. Wilmer gave me one of the best massages of my life. I wanted to weep and hug him because finally someone knew what he was doing. The lifeguard on duty was friendly, knowledgeable and informative. The bartenders and waiters at the beach and pool bar were fantastic (and believe me, drinking was about the biggest highlight of my vacation). Javier at the sushi "river" was so sweet and eager to please, although there was nothing he could do about the unfortunate quality of sushi.

I promise I am not a demanding princess who has to have her way all the time. I am a high-low traveler who loves street food and quirky inns as well as grand luxury hotels and chef-driven restaurants. I just expected management and front office staff to give one or two hoots about pleasing guests.

So back to the math: Price the rates at the best hotels in the area (Rosewood Mayakoba?), or maybe Hawaii or something, add a couple hundred a night per person for a really nice dinner anywhere you want, and you will still be paying more money for this "all-inclusive" mediocrity.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Roseanne F
Thank you for your recent review , it is very disappointing to read your review and some of the statements that you have included. I can assure you that this is not a true reflection of our service , attitude or overall experience.

we want all our guests to have a excellent vacation experience from the moment you arrival to the time we have to say goodbye. Our menus can be found on our Karisma Hotels website and I can assure you that we serve a variety of exquisite dishes that will awake your senses.

again , it is very sad to hear of your comments and I urge you to contact myself or our Head of customer services ( customerservices@karismamexico.com) so we can continue our communication directly.

Many Thanks

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!