“excellent holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“excellent holiday”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I cannot speak highly enough about our holiday .This was my second time at Azul beach and it was just as excellent as the first time .
The staff are all very friendly and cant do enough for you , they made our stay so special.
Can't wait to go back its the most pampered and relaxing holiday we've had!!!

Room Tip: block 1 is very quiet and looks onto small pool and the beach ,first floor is better for views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Adele M
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm happy to know that you received a superior level of service and that this had such an impact on your vacation, as I have said many times before, I'm very proud of each and every employee and they are definately a big part of the vacation experience. I'm glad that you felt pampered during your stay.

Thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel for your holiday and we hope to share many more in the future.

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have only just joined tripadvisor after reviewing a more recent holiday and am taking the time to review Azul beach, a hotel we stayed at in 2012.My wife and i can not recommend this hotel more highly and the service we received really made it hard for us when trying to match this holiday when selecting a honeymoon destination.

When we attended in September 2012 (and not 2013 as in the post description) it was relatively quiet, possibly as it was in hurricane season. Luckily we had fantastic weather for the week we were there.

From our arrival we were so impressed. The foyer is beautiful and we were greeted by friendly staff. We had a short wait until we were shown to our room and although we were not on our honeymoon we were upgraded to a Wedding Suite. The room was fantastic. It was almost as big as the apartment we live in with a massive bed, a lounge style area and a large double sink bathroom with an island bath and separate shower room. The facilities were very modern and we had a lovely view of the sea. At this point we were wishing we had booked a longer holiday.

We were all inclusive and unlike some hotels where there are hidden costs, we found none. if you wanted to sit at the pool all day drinking cocktails this is an option and they had a great selection.

The food at the restaurants is fantastic. The selection in the morning was varied and really tasty and the food in the evening was equally as good at all of the available restaurants. Unfortunately the main one was closed on our trip following hurricane damage. All of the staff were very friendly and provided an excellent service. On a couple of nights we opted for room service and the portions were great and service very quick.

All around the hotel there were activities to take part in whether it was beach sports, water sports, table tennis or visiting the spa.

We did visit the Dolphins in Cancun during our stay which was well worth it and a fantastic experience and took advantage of the water park adjoining it.

Given the holidays we had prior to this one and since, i would highly recommend this hotel to families, couples and honeymooners. The service really was top notch and just looking over the pictures recently with my wife made us feel like re-booking. we will definitely revisit this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are able to get a Wedding Suite upgrade go for it, the room was amazing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carlos2478
Thank you for your review of your experiences, we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments with future travelers and guests. It was a pleasure to host your holiday. We are dedicated and committed to ensure each of our valued guests are fully satisfied, going above and beyond all expectations.

We all hope to see you again very soon at the Azul Beach Resort.

Kent
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here with my 14 year old daughter for a week at the end of June. We wanted a week of relaxation and that's exactly what we got. I chose this hotel after previously staying in the Sensotori in Mexico (also by karisma) which was also amazing but I was after somewhere a bit smaller this time.
What a wonderful resort. I cannot fault or stay. The staff and the service they provide is excellent. They all seem to genuinely love their jobs. The butler by the pool, Mateus, made an extra effort to learn our names and was always on hand with another drink. All the staff take time to speak to you and make sure you are happy and have everything you need. The food was delicious with good choices and you don't need to reserve the al la carte restuarants which was so much better than previous hotels I have stayed in, all the drinks are international with well known brands. My daughter especially enjoyed the juice and smoothly bar, which also provided snacks cookies and icecream. We ordered room service and the food was as good as if you were in a restuarant. The rooms are stylish and spotlessly clean at all times. The grounds are also spotless with staff constantly there making sure this is the case. My daughter was not interested in joining in with the entertainment during the day but from the boards I could see that they had a lot to offer and the staff always made an effort to come over and offer her the chance to join in. The evening entertainment was good and again the staff making a great effort to make sure everyone was enjoying themselves and the entertainment. The hotel is only about a 20 minute taxi ride into cancun if you wanted to shop or go to the bars there.
If you are after a relaxing holiday in a beautiful hotel with great service and food then this hotel is for you.
Thank you to all the staff at the Azul beach hotel for a wonderful holiday :-)

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for your excellent review of your recent stay. I enjoyed reading your comments and I can assure you that will be shared with all staff.

We hope that you choose to return for many years at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Best regards,

Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We visited Azul Beach last year and can't wait to return - especially after reading all of the wonderful recent reviews! Peter and the staff were so accommodating: we had a 18 month old at the time and I was 6 months pregnant with our second, and we felt right at home. We received an upgrade, which made for perfect beachfront accommodations, and the staff treated us like royalty. They even went out of their way to help me get some medication for a cold that I had at the time! Top notch place. We hope to go back in the Fall and are looking forward to another wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wolf6998
Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words, I enjoyed reading your review. I'm very proud of each and every employee at the Azul Beach Resort and I will share your comments with all.

We hope that you will chose to return and we will ensure that we exceed your expectations once again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A long overdue review but now that I’ve been to other all inclusives, I realized just how good we had it at Azul Beach! My boyfriend and I (mid-20s) stayed a week at Azul Beach in February. The food and service were amazing!!! We chose Azul because it seemed like a smaller resort that paid attention to the details. We were looking for a quiet and relaxing vacation – not the party scene that you tend to get at other resorts. We were so happy that it delivered.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a cold glass of sparkling wine while we sat in the lobby and chose from the pillow and aromatherapy menus. Already I was impressed! The room was on the ground floor with a walk out to a small patio. The hotel grounds were gorgeous and added to the ambiance. Admittedly, I’ve been to better beaches (cleaner, fewer weeds), this one wasn't overly crowded and the resort pools were amazing so we spent a lot of time lounging. I was impressed by how friendly the staff was and they all seemed to genuinely appreciate their jobs. You never passed anyone who did not greet you. This really makes a big difference to a guest. All the meals were really good (from osso bucco to omelets to churros). I particularly liked the juice bar near the pool that had fresh coffees and smoothies.

We did the snorkelling half day trip, but we didn't see many fish. We rented a catamaran from the neighbouring resort a few times which was a lot of fun. We did get talked in to going to the sister property for the time share pitch and we were disappointed that it ended up taking much more time than we’d anticipated. We also paid for some shisha one afternoon and relaxed by the pool with a few drinks. We unfortunately didn't make it into town but other guests told us it was worth the trip.

Before heading to the airport (we’d checked out in the morning), we were able to use a guest room to shower and clean up which we were very thankful for. From the time we arrived to when we were on our way back to the airport, we were treated very well and enjoyed every minute of it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5mw4
Many thanks for your review, I'm happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a wonderful vacation. It is very special and there is no better reward than to hear about your wonderful experiences at the Azul Beach.

Again many thanks and I hope to see you very soon at the Azul Beach Resort.

Mathews, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I cannot speak highly enough about this resort. Upon arriving, we were greeted with champagne and cool scented cloths, and treated wonderfully. I felt like a member of the Azul beach hotel as soon as I arrived. The layout of the resort is beyond beautiful, and the service there is excellent. Every single staff member is so friendly, and they truly make you feel like you are a part of their family. There are two staff members in particular that I would like to mention: the two entertainment staff, Fernando and Jezer. They both make going to the beach so much fun, with their daily involvement with the guests in activities such as volleyball, soccer, water aerobics, and salsa dancing just to name a few. Both Jezer and Fernando work very hard, and have such great personalities. They do such a phenomenal job, and they definitely helped to make the trip memorable and fun! Also I would like to mention Javier, the best sushi chef! The sushi place was by far my favorite, and the sushi that Javier made us each time was the best sushi I have ever had! I loved how family friendy this resort was, but there were still fun things to do for the adults. I could go on and on for hours on how great this experience was, but I will stop here. This will not be my last trip to azul beach, and I cannot wait to return! A huge thank you goes out to all the staff for making this trip beyond fantasitc!! :)

Room Tip: Highly recommend an ocean view room with a pool balcony!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mbmitch
Thank you for your glowing review, It was a pleasure to host your holiday. It´s great to know that your experience were excellent and that we were able t go above and beyond all expectations. your comments will be share with our employees, especially Fernando, Jezer and Javier. It is very special when a member of our staff is recognized for their efforrts and I will ensure that this will not go unnoticed.

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my first time at a Karisma resort. I took a great deal of time selecting what I hoped would be the perfect place for my daughter (11) and I to vacation. I spent weeks reading reviews and looking at traveler photos for various resorts. By the time we picked Azul Beach it almost felt like we had been there before. I have to say I was a bit worried my expectations had been set so high that a let-down was inevitable. However, I was still awed by the level of service and the beauty of the property. The little touches like cold towels and drinks at check in go a long way (something alcohol -free for my daughter, which she said was delicious).

No place is perfect so let me get that out of the way now. First, we booked an "ocean front" junior swim-up suite but upon arrival discovered our room was actually 2 entire buildings back from the beach. It may have been possible to see a sliver of the ocean from a distance between the other buildings but that isn’t what I consider ocean front at all. They were nice enough to upgrade us to an ocean front honeymoon suite which had a much nicer view but cost us an additional $291USD. So be clear with your expectations if booking oceanfront. Have to say we loved the room. Very spacious and nicely decorated. My daughter loved the swim-up feature, although she only used it once. It was really more of a novelty and not high on my list of must-haves for the next trip. Second, the ocean doesn't really compare with Cozumel (the only other area in Mexico we've visited), but we were told it is better at Azul Beach than at the other resorts in that area. Be prepared for lots of sea grass near the shoreline. But the water is still beautiful and the sea perfectly calm.

Now on to the good stuff. Azul Beach is a beautiful property with staff that go out of their way to make you feel at home. I'm normally not big on aromatherapy but the place even SMELLED great! You get to choose your pillows and scent for your room as well as your pillows & sheets. Walking anywhere near the lobby also smelled wonderful. Just another thing that made it stand out for us. Some of the food was good. Skip the Asian (Tainan) – really nice sushi chef but the food was poor. Heard similar complaints from other guests as well. However, I would highly recommend Roma, the Italian restaurant. Unfortunately didn’t get to try Blue or the Latin restaurant - my daughter wanted room service instead.

Where Azul Beach really stands out is service. Not the stuffy pompous type you get at expensive hotels but friendly, personal service that makes you feel like you’re part of their family. I will truly miss some of the staff that went out of their way to make our stay memorable. I can’t possibly mention them all here but do want to make special mention of Isrel who went out of his way to take care of us. If they offer a Beach Butler of the Year award, he has my vote!! Matteo, Juan and Jezer were great as well. Really, so many of the staff spent a lot of time talking with us, learning our preferences and going out of their way to make sure we had everything we could possible want. Azul Beach is certainly not the only beautiful hotel and Riviera Maya is certainly not the only interesting place to visit, but the service we received here set this vacation apart from any other I have taken.

Final note: The hotel is rather remote but an easy drive from Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. If you don’t feel safe driving in Mexico, you can take a taxi or tour instead. I highly recommend Xcaret – beautiful place with a lot of great activities. The dolphin swim there was only $89USD (I think this was discounted from $99, but still less expensive than other places we’ve priced.) The river swims were our favorite though. (Tip: Be sure take the river trail on the far right and look for a small sharp left turn about halfway through the river swim – if you can manage to detour back there before a staff member floats by, you can see a beautiful cenote just around the curve. You can’t miss it if you’re snorkeling because of the deep blue hole that peaks out beneath the rocks on the left.) Plan to spend an entire day and stay for the show, it’s worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kate F
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. Your positive comments about our staff are very motivating. It feels very rewarding to hear that our services have gone beyond our clients expectations. We´ll extend your compliments to our staff and most particularly to Israel, Mateo, Juan and Jezer.

We also appreciate that you mention those areas that need more attention in order to improve.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you and your daughter once again for another vacation.

Best regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!