“Beautiful Hotel, great for families” 4 of 5 bubbles

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Miami, Fl
“Beautiful Hotel, great for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel based off reviews from families with little ones. We stayed for 6 days the last week of July 2014. My husband
,13 month old and I traveled from Colorado. When we arrived we were greeted with the cold towels to freshen up and blue champagne. This greeting was very nice. We were shortly given a pillow and scent demonstration and selection (this was a waste of time). Our pillows were stiff (no memory in the memory pillows at this place) we are glad the room wasn't equipped with the pillows we selected on demo because we had nicer pillows already in the room. We never smelled a scent in the room.
Next, we had requested a king swim up suite, with a crib (playpen is fine) and bottle warmer.
When we got to our room we had a double bed swim up suite with no bottle warmer, baby monitor,crib or playpen. I had to call about these things and of course the hotel was at max capacity and there wasn't a room with swim up option that had a king bed. The play pen and bottle warmer and monitor arrived an hour later after the call. Considering we were on vacation and did not want to get upset we moved on and kept the room in villa 11. The swim up option is very nice! It was conveniently located near the kids play room and a swim up bar. If only all the swim up suites in that area could have swim up access to that bar but unfortunately you must get out and walk through your room
Soaked and go to the bar. This was inconvenient so if you like the swim up bar option make sure to point this out and cross your fingers you don't get villa 11 because you are teased. You can see the other people swimming to the bar.
We arrived a little after 5pm so we weren't ready to go "out" for dinner. We ordered room service and it was tasty food. It was delivered to our room in about 30 minutes.
We enjoyed the beach thoroughly the servers and attendants on the beach are great. Israel always took care of our towels etc. We did the cabana thing 1 day and only 1 day. The archaic and old fashioned system to obtain access to these beds is ridiculous. You have to stand in line in the heat the day before to beat the other people. There are only 20 or 22 beds something like that so it goes fast. We didn't think it was such a big deal to have these beds and having to "stand in line" for this and waste vacation time was not ideal
For us. We actually enjoyed the long cushioned chairs with shade much better.
Having grown up on the ocean in Florida the seaweed was a bit of a disappointment. The beach workers do the best that they can do to clean up the sea weed but it's a lot of sea weed. Also, the system they use to pick it up is so archaic and old fashioned. Then it ends up in big black garbage bags on the shore line until someone picks it up. It's not the best system or nicest view. If clean and pristine ocean water is what you are looking for this is not the place. You have to come to terms with the sea weed and enjoy nature like we did. We accepted nature and enjoyed the ocean with the sea weed and it's not so clear and pristine water. We made the best of it. The waves are not huge so the kids can actually play and enjoy it.
The fisher price play ground on the beach is VERY BASIC for a hotel that is geared towards family with little ones (it has a slide that's it). This needs improvement.
The swimming pool that is for little ones is great! It's about 2 feet high maximum and the kids love it. It doesn't have a splash pad but at least they reach without a floating device. My 13 month old loved it.
The pool nearest to the "sandwich and fruit juice" place is great. It's conveniently located where you can always pick up a drink. The bartenders there are great especially Juan! He makes nice drinks, my favorites were the "Juan special" and "Bahama mama"!
The restaurant Chill is open for lunch and the service is great. Reuben made sure to take care of the baby first every time. It's ocean front and the food is small portions so if you want to try a couple of appetizers to share it's nice. The ceviche lacked flavor in my opinion. They made my daughter a grilled cheese and removed the crust (very nice of them). Breakfast is very busy at the large open cafe. It has a large selection of food and drinks. It gets very hot so dress lightly in the morning.
For dinner we loved the Asian place. The sushi bar that spins is nice because you can just grab from there. We had to pay extra for our sake. The pad Thai was tasty and so was all the sushi we had. The Italian was nice but lacked flavor. The lasagna was my favorite at this place. Here I tried the Mayan coffee which is WAY too filling. The Latin restaurant was busy when we went so they sat us at the high tables and set up a booster chair and we were good. Here we had the steak filet and it was cooked perfect to my liking. Once again the service at every restaurant was amazing!!!! These people know how to take care of people while they dine. My glass was never empty. They want to keep serving you and making sure you are enjoying your vacation. For those concerned about dress code it's very simple. They don't want people without shirts or shoes at anytime while eating at the restaurants which make sense. For dinner they want everyone to dress "nice". Men wore Bermudas and short sleeves dress shirts or polo shirts, sandals or loafers and this was ok. I didn't see men in jeans (it's too hot). Women it's easy, pretty dresses and dressy sandals this is what everyone wears. Bring out your light, summer best!
The sandwich and juice place has the hardest working lady I think her name was Leticia. This place is the only
Place that's informal and doesn't require an attire other than beach wear covered up. This was our guacamole and chips, quesadilla pit stop during the day. The tequila bar is a nice lounge where kids are allowed (shocking).We went twice after dinner and did some tequila
Tasting. The selection isn't huge but it's a nice experience. The night entertainment is dull and is lacking.
I went to the spa and got an 80 minute massage that was very nice. The spa is new and a nice experience if you aren't looking for the sauna, jacuzzi etc.
We played in the fisher price room A LOT in the evenings to burn some energy before bed and she loved it. The room has a lot to do for little ones. Personally this hotel is perfect for kids 7 and under. The ladies that work in the play room do their best to keep the kids entertained. I did one of the mommy and me exercises but it wasn't very amusing we walked around the resort (which is tiny) and then stretched.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to families with kids under 7. This is not a place for young couples , teenagers or singles. The food is just ok (I can't think of anything to rave about). Beware of the "personal" concierge near the front desk this is a scam for a time share sale. Do not get suckered. If you need a concierge service call from your room or stop by the little office near the chill restaurant. While we were there the day we were leaving my daughter woke up pulling on her ear. I called concierge and for $135 USD the doctor came to our room. We paid him with a credit card on a machine he had in his bag. His service was prompt and polite. The hotel had the medication delivered to us within 30 minutes from a local pharmacy for $30. This was great. However , I was not impressed with the check out process. The front end people
were not as friendly as the restaurant and the service staff (I rather not share unnecessary details, they just expect you to pay whatever they say and get upset when you question $16 pesos)
Also, This hotel needs to invest in activities throughout the hotel
For the kids. Having to go the fisher price room defeats the purpose of a beach vacation.
If you have already booked just make sure you avoid the time share sharks in the lobby that say they are the "personal concierge" and have a great time- we had a blast!

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank mercypharmd
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review, it is always very rewarding to read the comments and feedback from our valued guests. We do our best to provide all our guests with a unique vacation experience and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you at the Azul Beach Hotel again in the future.

Best regards,

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I went with my wife and 4 kids for a wedding. We had the best time. The resort is fantastic, clean, and the staff is amazing. The food is also 10 out of 10. kids would disappear for hours in one of the many shallow pools with bars and help themselves to food and drinks allowing us to relax and enjoy the sun with a nice cold beer. I would not hesitate to go again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcel C
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review, I'm glad that you experienced an amazing family vacation at the Azul Beach Hotel. Its great to know that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and we look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed 7 days on July and the experience was excellent: it is a very nice and intimate hotel, with food a la carte really very very good and the most nicest staff I'd ever seen (they're always taken care of all our needs). My teenager daughter wants to come back on our next holidays. Rooms are superb! And there awesome cabanas at the beach which is indeed gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences relating to your vacation, it was a pleasure to host your holiday. We are dedicated and committed to ensure each of our valued guests are fully satisfied, going above and beyond all expectations.

Once again, we thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and I look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

dallas, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Azul Beach for nights during the first week of August. I had been to the resort 7 years ago for my cousin's wedding and loved it. Upon returning, I still think it's a beautiful place; however, a few things have changed. The beach has receeded and is much smaller than it used to be. They used to have chefs cooking paella out on the beach for lunch but no longer do that - granted, they had a buffet set up by the pool one day. The seaweed was very bad but the staff does a great job trying to clean it up each day. The water was beautiful the first day but very brown and murky the following days..looked more like the gulf coast. They used to serve a variety of canned beers at the pool bar..now it's just Corona or Dos Equis on Draft. The beachside waiters were gracious enough to bring us a small cooler with canned beers throughout the day. The all-inclusive does not include lobster nor any wine beyond the basic house wine. A wine list for purchase is presented before every meal. Food was excellent...particularly the sushi and Roma restaurants.

There is essentially no night life at this resort. There was a fire show on Tuesday night and another one provided for a private event Thursday night which other guests were able to see. Other than that, it was pretty dead at night. I would not go back with just a significant other or even with a group of adults...only with families.

One other thing..upon arriving they tried to sell us on upgrading to the new Generations resort about 15 miles away. They showed us pictures of the rooms online (which are very nice) but we had not idea what the overall facility/beach looked like so asked if we could go see it. They took us over there and, while the interior rooms are beautiful, the resort is one big building with one big pool overlooking a beach full of small jetties. Has a completely different look and feel. They seemed very irritated when we told them we preffered to stay with Azul Beach. The whole proposition caught us off guard and we didn't really appreciate the treatment we got when we declined the "ugprade".

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank vjdtx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Be carrefull. We booked this hotel 4 months ago and paid. When we arrived they informed us that our rooms were not available because the hotel was full. No other choice than to accept there replacement offer at Generations Riviera Mayas. There we understood why they do overbooking, just because the other hotel was empty! Clearly the Generations is totally different than Azul Beach and the beach is horrible. Be carrefull!

Stayed August 2014
8 Thank Vincent T
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your email communication , I am truly very sorry for your experiences and I can assure you that we do not use such practices. your comments are very concerning to us and I would like you to invite you to contact us at your earliest convenience so that we can identify your booking and review your experiences together.

Best Regards
Anna Pegler
Head of Customer services
customerservices@karismamexico.com
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids ages 11 and 6) stayed at Azul Beach for 3 days/2 nights. We were supposed to stay at El Cid for 5 nights, but one night was not available so we looked for another hotel. We booked both hotels through Costco Travel. They were fantastic, and would use them again.

Pros:
- Ambience, look and feel of property is very modern, zen-like and peaceful. Very airy with water features everywhere.
- Service is excellent - from front desk to kids club to spa to restaurants.
- Presentation and taste of food at all restaurants were amazing.
- La Mancha is a walk-up cafe that serves all sorts of sandwiches, drinks (fruit and veggie smoothies, juices, etc), desserts and snacks.
- Good selection of movies that you can check out.
- Room service was quick (30 mins).
- Authentic Mexican lunch served daily at poolside.
- We stayed in a swim up suite in villa 9, and that was the highlight of this hotel. You walk out onto a personal patio from your room and take a few steps down into the pool. Villa 9 is connected to the swim up bar, which my kids really enjoyed.
- No towel cards or wristbands needed.
- Very kid friendly hotel: there are toys and games in the restaurants, and pool toys and floaties galore in each pool for general use. There is a covered cabana area with a ping pong table, loungers and TVs. It was so great to hang out and play in the shade.
- Michael Jackson show on Sat night was amazing. (The African show on Sunday night was also very good.)
- Welcome during check-in is what every hotel should do. They explained the resort, the amenities, features and activities, provided a drink to the adults and milkshakes to the kids. The kids filled out their own check-in card with their personal info and preferences. We each even picked out what type of pillow we want to sleep on. They asked if we have any allergies, etc.
- There is only one buffet, and it's breakfast and it's optional. Everything else is a la carte and doesn't require a reservation.

Cons:
- This is a small hotel, it is a boutique not a resort.
- If you don't get a swim-up suite, then you don't have much swimming options. There are three other pools, but they are small and don't have any slides, etc.
- Our room didn't have another bed for the kids. There was a sectional sofa, with a pull-out twin size day bed. My son slept on the sofa and my daughter on the day bed.
- The beach is not swimmable. It is very narrow with a ton of seaweed. I think this is the biggest negative of this hotel.
- I can see older kids being bored at this hotel. The crowd during our stay had mostly kids that were under 10 years old.
- Getting a beach cabana was a problem. There are only 12 available, and even though they say reservations start at 3 pm, people start lining up very early.

Costco included a $50 spa credit, which my husband applied towards a massage.

We all had a really great time at this hotel. Even though we only stayed for a few days, we met families that stayed for 1-2 weeks. We would definitely return if we could get a swim-up suite in villa 9 again.

Room Tip: Swim-suite in villa 9 is the best location, but any swim-up suite will be fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank mrsvchicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is not perfect, however the excellent staff get it pretty close.The food in the a la carte restaurants is very good,beautifully presented and served well especially by Andreas in Roma .Rooms are very well appointed and mostly kept spotlessly clean.The beech is gorgeous even though there is a seaweed problem which the staff work tirelessly to clean up.There is a bit of a queue for the cabanas each day but are well worth having.The beech staff all hardworking,but a special mention must go to Mateo who never stops bringing you food and drinks all day.Just one small word of warning,any trips out of the hotel are expensive, whatever you want to do will cost around £100 per head.The final word is from my family to all staff at Azul Beach "Thank you for making our holiday very special"

Room Tip: try for a junior Jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Robert B
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community. I am very proud of each and every employee , we have a great hotel with luxury facilities and this is all enhanced by the quality of our service and the level of excellence from our staff.

Thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel for this vacation and we hope to share many more in the future.

Best Regards,

Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,062 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!