“Excellent Hotel”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed end July for 10 days. This is the best hotel we have stayed in for a Summer holiday. Its all about the service and food here which cant be beat.
So much is covered positvely in other reviews so this is really about our experience.
The welcome is good with the pillow and scent selction but the scent was only used once in the room despite my leaving a message for more - didnt happen.
We booked through First Choice and paid their excessive upgrade rate as we didnt want to book a basic room and then not get the chance of a chaper upgrade - good move as the place was at capacity or close to. We booked a jacuzzi suite - ocean front and were given a swim up suite which would have cost more. Although initially sceptical as I wanted a view, the swim up suite worked well for my daughter to use and for me to get in an out of the water late at night/early morning when it was hot outside.
The room iteslf was huge, well decorated and v clean. Room serivce was excellent apart from the missing scent.

Pros
- The food is exceptional in the evenings and pertty good at breakfast & lunchtime. If ordering and not using the buffet breakfast that is a grade up. Everyone likes to pick a favourite restuarant but that is difficult, probably the Asian one wins the vote, we visited it more often than others but they are all good too.

- Service - the staff to guest ratio is high. Its a nice touch when they learn your name but not only that, they know what you like to drink and work hard to keep you happy. Only a couple of guys didn't seem so interested in the service aspect but there are 50 who will impress.
- Beach - despite what people say its a nicely kept beach with a good aspect. You CAN swim in the sea easily although not too far out, certtainly out of your depth if you want. The seaweed is NOT a problem - only for under 3's or the infirm who cannot step over the 2ft deposit at the waters edge. The weed is not worth complaining about. Snorkelling works around the jetty - plenty of tropical fish in the shade there. The reef trip for $40 is worth it, the guys show you what is about - plenty of wildlife out there. You can walk up and down the beach beyond the hotel perimeter, the naturist resort next door has a warning sign about how nudity might offend but it was the mix of nudity and obesity that nearly got me gagging. It's not much more scenic in the other direction but its a walk. Beach butler service - faultless.

Pools - probably what we liked most about the hotel is that if the pools we used had 3 or 4 people in then that was busy. Plenty of time we were the only users of some pools - the premium one by Chill, the pool uner the bridge on the beach side of the bubbles bar - always empty and the bubbles bar pool itself. The others we didnt use at all but did seem busier. Considering the hotel was full, you would never have thought it.

Bars - I had seen reviews complaining about not being served quickly at bars but this is another myth. If we werent using waiter service we were served almost instantly and with friendliness every time - the Aquinox bar in the evening was never particularly busy. Only went in the tequila lounge twice - seemed quiet.

Grounds - beautifully kept - you could see how hard staff were working on them and it pays off.

Cons
- The cabanna queue is not that bad if you get there early enough you have shade and are involved in the games which make the time pass quickly - they fetch beers if you want them etc. An alternative system is to let each hotel room have a cabanna once or twice a week or something like that. That said it was worth the wait for the 2-3 times we used them. Also many are free after 3pm when peolpel start vacating the beach. But queuing eating into your day is not the best thing.

Concierge/Prestige sell - I didnt fall for the appointments but if you call the concierge for something they invite you over to deal with what you want and when you get there push the prestige service. Only when you get fed up and tell them aftrer a few minutes they direct you to who should be helping you in the first place. Omar in particular is pushy - he was even hanging around the entrance to breakfast trying to talk people into meetings - must be a commission thing

General:
Tipping - bit mystified by this. The staff worked hard and I was happy to tip for meals, drinks, maid service - note - the staff do not expect it. I thought that there would be more of a tipping culture especially with so many Americans there but didnt see much of it. Sometimes noticed a family pushing $1 into the hand of a waiter after the evening meal which I would have thought boardering on insulting, $5 - $10 would be fairer considering the service you get. We were often offered extra dishes by the waiters so it turned into a bit of a tasting menu which was nice.

Not a lot for teenagers to do but if they meet others then that is fine and thats what happened with ours.

Overall a fantastic hotel where the staff are a real credit. Special thanks (again) to Mateo on the beach, Gregorio at the bubbles bar and waiters Ivan, Victor & Cesar. These guys will look after you so look after them too.

I would go back and would recommend others to visit this spendid boutique hotel. Perfect!!!

Room Tip: The suites are huge and well appointed, swim ups good for kids too.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank jonny5678
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for such a wonderul, well formed review. I am very proud of each and every employee, we have a great hotel with luxury facilities and this is all enhanced by the quality of our service and the level of excellence from our staff. I truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to follow up on your comments concerning the experiences with the service from Concierge / Prestige.

It was a pleasure to host your holiday at the Azul Beach Hotel and I hope that you will return again in the near future.

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,655)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was our first trip to Azul Beach Hotel and were there with over 40 others to celebrate our two friends getting married. Being an experienced business traveler and a former employee at a very large summer resort I have a keen eye for quality, cleanliness, safety, etc. but also understand what's appropriate to be picky about.

Azul Beach has so much great potential but overall our experience was "meh", I'll go through the details below. It's very detailed so bear with me! I don't think I was unreasonable in any of my opinions since others in our party had the same opinions.

Location:
It's a beautiful spot, well secluded, and 20 minutes from the airport. The resort is next to a "lifestyles" resort but there's plenty of distance between the two.

Room:
Pros: Very well kept, nicely appointed, tasteful decor, trendy features and appointments. King bed was comfortable (except for the squeaky leak pad under the sheets). AC worked very well and never felt uncomfortable. Flat screens with plenty of channels to watch (we didn't), mini fridge, good lighting.
Cons: We stayed in the "deluxe" room in the Villas. Don't look for a quiet serene experience if you are in Villa 6 block as it was loud at night until about 2am from the bar. There's a small courtyard with tables and chairs where people would congregate. Not too much of a problem for us since we were up later anyways, but a guest with concerns about quiet accommodations should be concerned if they get one of these spots. Of course at 8am you get the 9,000 maid carts going up and down to wake you up. I could see THROUGH the front door and pass through door for the adjoining room. Depending on the angle you can see straight through the cracks of the door jambs and make out what's happening behind it. The doors were also thin as heck...you could hear conversations to the T without even being close to the door...the walls are concrete but again, the doors are paper thin. Resort should consider investing in some weatherstripping for their doors, give me a cut of the energy savings if you do it!

Security:
Pros: Never felt unsafe, pass through a security gate and then take a LONG drive to the resort entrance, enter another security gate. Noticed a few guards (or what seemed like them) walking throughout the evening and night time. A safe provided in the room free of charge.
Cons: Lights basically shut off on the resort after 1:30am, good luck trying to find where you're going if you a spacially or directionally challenged. It could have been just our unit but our door could simply be pushed (and not relatively hard either) to open without a key (more about this later).The pass through door for the adjoining room did not have a deadbolt lock, just a simple door knob.

Food:
Pros: Generally excellent, you can tell they do place particular attention to presentation and "look" of the food. Great options and never got tired of the different things to get. All was very tasty. Always an option for vegetarians (we had a few in our group) and even gluten free.
Cons: Portions vary in size, in particular at lunch at the Blu and Sandwich Cafe they were downright comical in size for lunch. VERY rich food, you can tell they love to season and use lots of butter on everything. Healthier options are a bit lacking it seemed. One of my dinner's was a chicken dish with multiple bones in it. 24hr room service is a joke after 10pm, don't expect anything much you can't find at a 7-11...pizza, fries, chicken nuggets...that was disappointing. It also took at least 1 hour (sometimes 2) before room service actually showed up.

Drink:
Pros: All bartenders were exceptionally nice and consistent, the drinks were poured well, not too strong or weak. They do use top shelf when you ask for it, otherwise you get a brand of rum or gin you've never heard of (I tried taking peak at the label but couldn't confirm if it was good quality...it wasn't recognizable though). They gave no trouble with any requests. Bernardino was awesome at the tequilla bar, he was sweet, accommodating, cool, fun to talk to, and knew how to run a busy bar...give that man a raise.
Cons: Don't expect much of a choice in the beer department. There's four canned beers in your mini-fridge in the room (2 each of Tecate Light and Sol) which they refused to restock for us when we called (we found that odd - more on service later). Otherwise you are left with draft beer of dos Xs and Heineken. Thier kegs are left out in the open without refrigeration we noticed so that was suspect. For whatever reason you cannot get the canned Sol or Tecate anywhere unless it's magically delivered in your minifridge during housekeeping service as they do not stock that either at the bars or restaurants...again odd.

Beach:
Pros: Nice, peaceful, great sand, lots of space, not a huge beach but appropriate. Venders are respectful and nice. Quiet, not many boats or things to take away from your experience here. Cabana's were excellent, seating was generally plentiful.
Cons: SEAWEED...reminded me of Lake Champlain in VT during the summer...my god there was tons of it. They did do their best cleaning it, can't blame the workers but they had a beautiful new bobcat tractor which they clearly had no idea how to use. Hotel people, buy a landscape rake for the thing instead of the two people hired to rake all day long. Said many times on the reviews here, the reservation process STINKS for the cabanas...we were there for 6 nights and never were able to get a good one no matter how early we got there for the reservation process.

Service:
Pros: Bartenders, spa people, beach entertainment, beach butlers, and concierge were very helpful and always pleasant. LOTS of people everywhere cleaning, scrubbing, and taking care of the physical property. The housekeeping and services staff were clearly well driven and hard working. Props to them, I know how hard that is (having done the same as my first job).
Cons:
Waiters: To be frank..horrible service, they were generally rude, unpleasant, or seemed to care less. You get better service at TGI Fridays. There were two (one at Latina and Blu) who visibly cared about making sure their tables were taken care of. You were asked about food allergies before your visit almost always but it didn't seem to matter. Multiple times people in our party were given food they specifically said they couldn't have (shrimp, avacado, etc). No one seemed to care or apologize if that happened. One older gentleman waiter at Latina did take particular attention to a food allergy for us though but never expect that otherwise. We found language to be a SIGNIFICANT barrier with the waiters, many not able to understand basic questions or concerns. We're not a demanding or complaining set of people either. Thankfully a few of us are fluent in spanish...if not it could have gotten interesting. Furthermore it took FOREVER to get someone to show up to your table, even give you utensils or water. Food would come out inconsistently, we had times when entrees came out while other's got their desserts. In general, all waiters seemed to have a frown on their face, unhelpful and not concerned about how the meal was going. Something needs to be done here...

Housekeeping: Inconsistent; 6 nights and got turndown service 2x (not a huge deal but neverthaless). Never cleaned our room 1 night, even after confirming with us if we would like it done (we said yes and said any time after 5pm).

Front desk: Inconsistent. Seemed like they could care less about anything. They were always professional however which was good but they sure didn't smile much. We arrived and were asked to sit down in front of a man working on a computer but he didn't even welcome us or acknowledge our presence, another man then took care of our check in. He asked for our passports but never told us without us asking why he needed them. We never also got any options during check in about the aromas, smells, pillow types, etc. that others in our party mentioned they got. When I told them our housekeeping wasn't completed for that day (even though it was promised and confirmed) the guest clerk didn't seem to care and never apologized, his solution was to schedule us for the earliest housekeeping service the next day...sure I want to wake up at 7am to get my room cleaned on vacation. When I mentioned the room can be opened without a key, again he didn't seem to care...said someone would look at it the next day. If they did it didn't solve anything because the problem consisted throughout the stay.

Overall a beautiful hotel, impeccably maintained with great accommodations (aside from the doors issue). If it wasn't for the waiters being so grouchy we could have easily overlooked everything else. No place is 100% perfect and I'm not a pain in the butt to please but for the prices they charge here...woof. We won't be back because there are many better options for better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Villa's 6 is very close to the one bar that stays open past 11pm but great central location. One...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank inthemethodPK

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing the experiences of your recent vacation, I truly appreciate your comments and have carefully read through your detailed feedback. I do apologize for the inconsistencies experienced and I will be sure to address these areas with my management team.

We hope that you will chose to return to the Azul Beach Hotel again in the future.

Pater Hechler

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel based off reviews from families with little ones. We stayed for 6 days the last week of July 2014. My husband
,13 month old and I traveled from Colorado. When we arrived we were greeted with the cold towels to freshen up and blue champagne. This greeting was very nice. We were shortly given a pillow and scent demonstration and selection (this was a waste of time). Our pillows were stiff (no memory in the memory pillows at this place) we are glad the room wasn't equipped with the pillows we selected on demo because we had nicer pillows already in the room. We never smelled a scent in the room.
Next, we had requested a king swim up suite, with a crib (playpen is fine) and bottle warmer.
When we got to our room we had a double bed swim up suite with no bottle warmer, baby monitor,crib or playpen. I had to call about these things and of course the hotel was at max capacity and there wasn't a room with swim up option that had a king bed. The play pen and bottle warmer and monitor arrived an hour later after the call. Considering we were on vacation and did not want to get upset we moved on and kept the room in villa 11. The swim up option is very nice! It was conveniently located near the kids play room and a swim up bar. If only all the swim up suites in that area could have swim up access to that bar but unfortunately you must get out and walk through your room
Soaked and go to the bar. This was inconvenient so if you like the swim up bar option make sure to point this out and cross your fingers you don't get villa 11 because you are teased. You can see the other people swimming to the bar.
We arrived a little after 5pm so we weren't ready to go "out" for dinner. We ordered room service and it was tasty food. It was delivered to our room in about 30 minutes.
We enjoyed the beach thoroughly the servers and attendants on the beach are great. Israel always took care of our towels etc. We did the cabana thing 1 day and only 1 day. The archaic and old fashioned system to obtain access to these beds is ridiculous. You have to stand in line in the heat the day before to beat the other people. There are only 20 or 22 beds something like that so it goes fast. We didn't think it was such a big deal to have these beds and having to "stand in line" for this and waste vacation time was not ideal
For us. We actually enjoyed the long cushioned chairs with shade much better.
Having grown up on the ocean in Florida the seaweed was a bit of a disappointment. The beach workers do the best that they can do to clean up the sea weed but it's a lot of sea weed. Also, the system they use to pick it up is so archaic and old fashioned. Then it ends up in big black garbage bags on the shore line until someone picks it up. It's not the best system or nicest view. If clean and pristine ocean water is what you are looking for this is not the place. You have to come to terms with the sea weed and enjoy nature like we did. We accepted nature and enjoyed the ocean with the sea weed and it's not so clear and pristine water. We made the best of it. The waves are not huge so the kids can actually play and enjoy it.
The fisher price play ground on the beach is VERY BASIC for a hotel that is geared towards family with little ones (it has a slide that's it). This needs improvement.
The swimming pool that is for little ones is great! It's about 2 feet high maximum and the kids love it. It doesn't have a splash pad but at least they reach without a floating device. My 13 month old loved it.
The pool nearest to the "sandwich and fruit juice" place is great. It's conveniently located where you can always pick up a drink. The bartenders there are great especially Juan! He makes nice drinks, my favorites were the "Juan special" and "Bahama mama"!
The restaurant Chill is open for lunch and the service is great. Reuben made sure to take care of the baby first every time. It's ocean front and the food is small portions so if you want to try a couple of appetizers to share it's nice. The ceviche lacked flavor in my opinion. They made my daughter a grilled cheese and removed the crust (very nice of them). Breakfast is very busy at the large open cafe. It has a large selection of food and drinks. It gets very hot so dress lightly in the morning.
For dinner we loved the Asian place. The sushi bar that spins is nice because you can just grab from there. We had to pay extra for our sake. The pad Thai was tasty and so was all the sushi we had. The Italian was nice but lacked flavor. The lasagna was my favorite at this place. Here I tried the Mayan coffee which is WAY too filling. The Latin restaurant was busy when we went so they sat us at the high tables and set up a booster chair and we were good. Here we had the steak filet and it was cooked perfect to my liking. Once again the service at every restaurant was amazing!!!! These people know how to take care of people while they dine. My glass was never empty. They want to keep serving you and making sure you are enjoying your vacation. For those concerned about dress code it's very simple. They don't want people without shirts or shoes at anytime while eating at the restaurants which make sense. For dinner they want everyone to dress "nice". Men wore Bermudas and short sleeves dress shirts or polo shirts, sandals or loafers and this was ok. I didn't see men in jeans (it's too hot). Women it's easy, pretty dresses and dressy sandals this is what everyone wears. Bring out your light, summer best!
The sandwich and juice place has the hardest working lady I think her name was Leticia. This place is the only
Place that's informal and doesn't require an attire other than beach wear covered up. This was our guacamole and chips, quesadilla pit stop during the day. The tequila bar is a nice lounge where kids are allowed (shocking).We went twice after dinner and did some tequila
Tasting. The selection isn't huge but it's a nice experience. The night entertainment is dull and is lacking.
I went to the spa and got an 80 minute massage that was very nice. The spa is new and a nice experience if you aren't looking for the sauna, jacuzzi etc.
We played in the fisher price room A LOT in the evenings to burn some energy before bed and she loved it. The room has a lot to do for little ones. Personally this hotel is perfect for kids 7 and under. The ladies that work in the play room do their best to keep the kids entertained. I did one of the mommy and me exercises but it wasn't very amusing we walked around the resort (which is tiny) and then stretched.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to families with kids under 7. This is not a place for young couples , teenagers or singles. The food is just ok (I can't think of anything to rave about). Beware of the "personal" concierge near the front desk this is a scam for a time share sale. Do not get suckered. If you need a concierge service call from your room or stop by the little office near the chill restaurant. While we were there the day we were leaving my daughter woke up pulling on her ear. I called concierge and for $135 USD the doctor came to our room. We paid him with a credit card on a machine he had in his bag. His service was prompt and polite. The hotel had the medication delivered to us within 30 minutes from a local pharmacy for $30. This was great. However , I was not impressed with the check out process. The front end people
were not as friendly as the restaurant and the service staff (I rather not share unnecessary details, they just expect you to pay whatever they say and get upset when you question $16 pesos)
Also, This hotel needs to invest in activities throughout the hotel
For the kids. Having to go the fisher price room defeats the purpose of a beach vacation.
If you have already booked just make sure you avoid the time share sharks in the lobby that say they are the "personal concierge" and have a great time- we had a blast!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank mercypharmd

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review, it is always very rewarding to read the comments and feedback from our valued guests. We do our best to provide all our guests with a unique vacation experience and I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you at the Azul Beach Hotel again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I went with my wife and 4 kids for a wedding. We had the best time. The resort is fantastic, clean, and the staff is amazing. The food is also 10 out of 10. kids would disappear for hours in one of the many shallow pools with bars and help themselves to food and drinks allowing us to relax and enjoy the sun with a nice cold beer. I would not hesitate to go again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marcel C

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review, I'm glad that you experienced an amazing family vacation at the Azul Beach Hotel. Its great to know that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and we look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed 7 days on July and the experience was excellent: it is a very nice and intimate hotel, with food a la carte really very very good and the most nicest staff I'd ever seen (they're always taken care of all our needs). My teenager daughter wants to come back on our next holidays. Rooms are superb! And there awesome cabanas at the beach which is indeed gorgeous!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences relating to your vacation, it was a pleasure to host your holiday. We are dedicated and committed to ensure each of our valued guests are fully satisfied, going above and beyond all expectations.

Once again, we thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Azul Beach for nights during the first week of August. I had been to the resort 7 years ago for my cousin's wedding and loved it. Upon returning, I still think it's a beautiful place; however, a few things have changed. The beach has receeded and is much smaller than it used to be. They used to have chefs cooking paella out on the beach for lunch but no longer do that - granted, they had a buffet set up by the pool one day. The seaweed was very bad but the staff does a great job trying to clean it up each day. The water was beautiful the first day but very brown and murky the following days..looked more like the gulf coast. They used to serve a variety of canned beers at the pool bar..now it's just Corona or Dos Equis on Draft. The beachside waiters were gracious enough to bring us a small cooler with canned beers throughout the day. The all-inclusive does not include lobster nor any wine beyond the basic house wine. A wine list for purchase is presented before every meal. Food was excellent...particularly the sushi and Roma restaurants.

There is essentially no night life at this resort. There was a fire show on Tuesday night and another one provided for a private event Thursday night which other guests were able to see. Other than that, it was pretty dead at night. I would not go back with just a significant other or even with a group of adults...only with families.

One other thing..upon arriving they tried to sell us on upgrading to the new Generations resort about 15 miles away. They showed us pictures of the rooms online (which are very nice) but we had not idea what the overall facility/beach looked like so asked if we could go see it. They took us over there and, while the interior rooms are beautiful, the resort is one big building with one big pool overlooking a beach full of small jetties. Has a completely different look and feel. They seemed very irritated when we told them we preffered to stay with Azul Beach. The whole proposition caught us off guard and we didn't really appreciate the treatment we got when we declined the "ugprade".

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vjdtx
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Be carrefull. We booked this hotel 4 months ago and paid. When we arrived they informed us that our rooms were not available because the hotel was full. No other choice than to accept there replacement offer at Generations Riviera Mayas. There we understood why they do overbooking, just because the other hotel was empty! Clearly the Generations is totally different than Azul Beach and the beach is horrible. Be carrefull!

Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank Vincent T
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your email communication , I am truly very sorry for your experiences and I can assure you that we do not use such practices. your comments are very concerning to us and I would like you to invite you to contact us at your earliest convenience so that we can identify your booking and review your experiences together.

Best Regards

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#59 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#5 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!