We stayed end July for 10 days. This is the best hotel we have stayed in for a Summer holiday. Its all about the service and food here which cant be beat.
So much is covered positvely in other reviews so this is really about our experience.
The welcome is good with the pillow and scent selction but the scent was only used once in the room despite my leaving a message for more - didnt happen.
We booked through First Choice and paid their excessive upgrade rate as we didnt want to book a basic room and then not get the chance of a chaper upgrade - good move as the place was at capacity or close to. We booked a jacuzzi suite - ocean front and were given a swim up suite which would have cost more. Although initially sceptical as I wanted a view, the swim up suite worked well for my daughter to use and for me to get in an out of the water late at night/early morning when it was hot outside.
The room iteslf was huge, well decorated and v clean. Room serivce was excellent apart from the missing scent.
- The food is exceptional in the evenings and pertty good at breakfast & lunchtime. If ordering and not using the buffet breakfast that is a grade up. Everyone likes to pick a favourite restuarant but that is difficult, probably the Asian one wins the vote, we visited it more often than others but they are all good too.
- Service - the staff to guest ratio is high. Its a nice touch when they learn your name but not only that, they know what you like to drink and work hard to keep you happy. Only a couple of guys didn't seem so interested in the service aspect but there are 50 who will impress.
- Beach - despite what people say its a nicely kept beach with a good aspect. You CAN swim in the sea easily although not too far out, certtainly out of your depth if you want. The seaweed is NOT a problem - only for under 3's or the infirm who cannot step over the 2ft deposit at the waters edge. The weed is not worth complaining about. Snorkelling works around the jetty - plenty of tropical fish in the shade there. The reef trip for $40 is worth it, the guys show you what is about - plenty of wildlife out there. You can walk up and down the beach beyond the hotel perimeter, the naturist resort next door has a warning sign about how nudity might offend but it was the mix of nudity and obesity that nearly got me gagging. It's not much more scenic in the other direction but its a walk. Beach butler service - faultless.
Pools - probably what we liked most about the hotel is that if the pools we used had 3 or 4 people in then that was busy. Plenty of time we were the only users of some pools - the premium one by Chill, the pool uner the bridge on the beach side of the bubbles bar - always empty and the bubbles bar pool itself. The others we didnt use at all but did seem busier. Considering the hotel was full, you would never have thought it.
Bars - I had seen reviews complaining about not being served quickly at bars but this is another myth. If we werent using waiter service we were served almost instantly and with friendliness every time - the Aquinox bar in the evening was never particularly busy. Only went in the tequila lounge twice - seemed quiet.
Grounds - beautifully kept - you could see how hard staff were working on them and it pays off.
- The cabanna queue is not that bad if you get there early enough you have shade and are involved in the games which make the time pass quickly - they fetch beers if you want them etc. An alternative system is to let each hotel room have a cabanna once or twice a week or something like that. That said it was worth the wait for the 2-3 times we used them. Also many are free after 3pm when peolpel start vacating the beach. But queuing eating into your day is not the best thing.
Concierge/Prestige sell - I didnt fall for the appointments but if you call the concierge for something they invite you over to deal with what you want and when you get there push the prestige service. Only when you get fed up and tell them aftrer a few minutes they direct you to who should be helping you in the first place. Omar in particular is pushy - he was even hanging around the entrance to breakfast trying to talk people into meetings - must be a commission thing
Tipping - bit mystified by this. The staff worked hard and I was happy to tip for meals, drinks, maid service - note - the staff do not expect it. I thought that there would be more of a tipping culture especially with so many Americans there but didnt see much of it. Sometimes noticed a family pushing $1 into the hand of a waiter after the evening meal which I would have thought boardering on insulting, $5 - $10 would be fairer considering the service you get. We were often offered extra dishes by the waiters so it turned into a bit of a tasting menu which was nice.
Not a lot for teenagers to do but if they meet others then that is fine and thats what happened with ours.
Overall a fantastic hotel where the staff are a real credit. Special thanks (again) to Mateo on the beach, Gregorio at the bubbles bar and waiters Ivan, Victor & Cesar. These guys will look after you so look after them too.
I would go back and would recommend others to visit this spendid boutique hotel. Perfect!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azul Beach Hotel is a family-friendly, boutique-style property located on a gorgeous beach 20 minutes from Cancun International Airport. All of the 148 rooms are just steps from the beach, pools, restaurants and bars.Featuring the Gourmet Inclusive® concept, epicurean offerings include candlelight dining on the beach, a fresh fish fry and butler service to the canopied beach beds. There’s an all-lobster menu, 24-hour room service and over 30 tequilas in the tequila lounge.Azul Beach especially caters to families with young children with loaner baby equipment, kid's club and parent support. The exclusive Family & Friends Vacation Planner coordinates family reunions. Romantic couples love Beachfront Sky Massages and Suite Scenes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Beach Hotel, By Karisma Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Azul Resort All Inclusive Beach
- Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya Mexico
- Azul Hotel Beach Resort