“"Excellence" The clue is in the name.”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and i have just returned home from our second visit to the ERC resort in 18 months, and after reading so many reviews i thought it about time we posted ours. The resort is about eight years old, or so i belive, at this age with such a high volume of guests passing through it's doors it is only to be expected to find some signs of wear and tear, but a few broken sun loungers won't stop us from returning for a third time. It's the bigger picture that makes this place so good, all the staff here are so nice and friendly and always happy to see you,with some giving that little extra to make your stay more memorable, Waiters, Ramon,Gustavo and Antonio. Barmen, Fernando,Luis ,Pablo,Juan,Cruz and Vidael.To name but a few, all wonderful people and a credit to the hotel. Some guests had issue with room service being a little slow, but that's what happens when it's raining and nobody wants to go out to eat. As for the entertainment, the shows are top draw, and very professional. The Michael Jackson and Madonna tribute shows were absolutley amazing. There are eight restaurants to dine at, all alacarte, plus you a buffet restaurant "Barcelona" for breakfast and lunch, personally i would of liked to see a buffet option available for dinner as well. Our Favourite was "Basmati" indian cuisine, with "Spice" and "Toscana" close behind. On site you will also find the "Mille" a world class spa with an array of tratments on offer. The rooms are spacious clean and well maintained, all with multi cannel flatscreen tv's, jacuzzi,(swim out rooms get two) bathrobes ,slippers and a safe.etc. If wish you can visit the sister resort "Excellence " Isla Mujeres for the day at no charge. However you will need to take a taxi (approx. $56 usd) each way or hire a car . We only found out about this on our last day from Customer Services manager Rosalia Macca,after being told by our Thomas Cook rep it would cost $100 usd each. To finish, all the reviews we read are just personal opinions based on experiences and observations, and it is our opinion that nobody should have any doubts about visiting the"excellente" Excellence Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa .

Room Tip: "if you like it quiet ask for a room in blocks 2 to 5 all with views of pool and spa"
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C
Write a ReviewReviews (13,270)

Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and I celebrateded our 31st wedding anniversary and made it a combined trip with our two sons and their wives. The six of us had a blast. There were plenty of activities as well as areas to purely relax. We had three swim up rooms in the same building which was very convenient as we would order some room service snacks, a bucket of beer, and just relax together before dinner.
We appreciated the surprises and the "extras"-- like the coconut drinks, the carribbean night buffet, the beach dance party with full bar, etc.
The restaurants were very good, the shows were entertaining, and Juan at the martini bar mixed the best drinks! (try his version of the Excellence martini).
Everyone was polite, friendly and helpful. The one downer was the missing tiles on a swim up bench with sharp edges that tore my son's swimsuit the first day and posed a danger of cutting one's leg. Eventually, they sowed the suit and offered a special dinner to my son and daughter in law, and repairs the stool seat.

The location is perfect: away from the concrete of the Cancun hotel strip but not too far.
Finally I recommend talking to Alejandra at the Seasons tour desk. She listened to our wants and came up with the idea of hiring a driver for a day which was one of the highlights of the trip. Alberto picked the six of us in a new chevy suburban, drove us to Tulum, took us to a remote Cenote and picture-perfect beach and then to a favorite restaurant of his right on another
beach whci had the best food of the entire trip! Alberto was so kind and hospitable- a wonderful person.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank SJincarmel
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My new Husband and I spent 2 weeks at the ERC from the 14th May until 28th May and had an amazing time.
We travelled with Thomson from Manchester UK in the Premium section and had no problems at all. The Premium seats are worth the extra money and make the 10hour flight seem not quite so bad. The private taxi transfers they provide are also gratefully received after a long flight.
Check in was quick and painless, we did not upgrade to the Club section so it was just the standard check in desk but seemed fine to us.
We where directed to out room by the bell boy who told us he would follow in a while with out bags. We found our room with no problems and when we walked in to our room for the first time both my Husband and I where speechless! The rooms are beautiful and have everything you could possibly need, i spent most of the 2 weeks in the huge jacuzzi tub!
Our room over looked the back of the Spa (1301) and was lovely and relaxing. One slight niggle is that they clear the dirty plates out of the magic box at bizzare times of the morning, often around 4am. I am a light sleeper and found that i was being woken up by this most nights.
We spent most of our time around the main pool with the swim up bar. You did need to be up and about quite early to get 2 sunbeds with any form of shade around the main pool but you could always find sunbeds around the lazy river or on the beach at any time of day.
Our first week the weather was very varied and this meant the beach was not as clean or the water as clear as i had hoped. I am putting this down to the weather as i don't imagine it is like that all the time.
There are a lot of activities going on throughout the day but nobody comes round and pressures you to join in. You get the Excellence Times delivered to your room at turn down and this outlines what activities are happening with times and locations and also tells you about any specials offers in the Spa and which Restaurants are open. This is really useful in making sure you get the most out of what is on offer.
The food ranged from excellent to poor with the majority being really nice. The buffet breakfast was my favourite part of the day and you really could have anything you fancied. The buffet lunch however was disappointing. The first day we went we though it was maybe just us being fussy but after a few more attempts we just never found anything we liked other than the desserts. Lunch at the Steakhouse was lovely and the beach BBQ's was also really good. I'm ashamed to say the only restaurant we didn't try was the Mexican, there was nothing on the menu i really fancied.
Our favourite meal was at the Indian which was a highlight of our holiday. We ended up going quite a few times and it was gorgeus every time however air con would be appreciated!
As we where on Honeymoon we got a Special meal voucher when we checked in which you just present at the Restaurant of your choice and you get a few extra perks. Our Thomson Rep advised us that the French (Chez Isabelle), Italian (Toscana) and Asian (Spice) have special menu's for these meals where as the other Restaurants you just choose off the normal menu. You can choose off the special menu and the normal menu at these 3 restaurants so you get a bit more choice than usual.
We had our special meal at Chez Isabelle on the last night of our holiday and the service from the staff here was above and beyond our expectations. The table was decorated with rose petals and there was a bottle of Champagne on ice waiting for us. The food was delicious and the presentaion made it all the more special.
The steakhouse was also lovely however make sure you wear lots of mosquito spray as i was eaten alive and would have loved to go again another night but was so scared of being bitten anymore.
Toscana and Spice where nice as well but we didn't enjoy them as much as the others.
We where disappointed with the Lobster house where i found the Lobster to be tough and tasteless.
Room service was brilliant and we more than took advantage! We had one issue when we where going on a trip one morning and i ordered breakfast at 5.30 and told it would be 30-40 mins. I was still waiting at 07.05 and as we where being picked up at 07.15 I had to ring and cancel it. Other than this occasion room service was always timely and hot. It was nice to know that you could get something to eat at any time of day/night.
The staff over all where really helpful and friendly however there is always the odd exception and although i don't want to name names i noticed that a previous review mentions the same member of staff at breakfast that we also had problems with. In general the staff are amazing and would do anything for you.
Would I return? Probably however both my Husband and I agreed on our next visit to Mexico we will either stay in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen as we like to have shops/bars on our door step and taxi's where starting to cost us a fortune! However this is nothing against the hotel as if it was in the middle of the resort we would not hesitate to re book.
On another note we went on a night out to Cancun organised with Thomson and found it great value for money and really good fun. Coco Bongo is an amazing experience and I would highly recommend!

3  Thank LKRBrampton
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This was THE best holiday ever!
Having been here previously and tried other Excellence resort, the Secrets resort and El Dorado Royale, this place wins hands down.
I wasn't sure about the upgrading to the Club area at first, and although it's amazing to have such a selection of alcohol in your room, as someone who doesn't really drink spirits I felt it was maybe a lot of money for not much return - how mistaken could I be?
The level of service in this resort is amazing, and then when you are in Club it is even more amazing - I couldn't think of what else they could do....but they managed to come up with so many special things from organising a special dinner (you must book up a romantic meal in the Cellar Restaurant), to chilled wine in the room, little tasty bites just when you need them and the staff in the Club were so on the ball it was scary! Isole Fonz...you made my holiday.
The spa was amazing, the gym is really well kept and has a fab selection of machines, the archery, the bike trips, the hobby cats....all included in the price as well as the a la carte meals.
Having now returned home, I miss the amazing food and the fresh fruit each day, and of course there is no-where that I have been that has staff service to this level. Did I mention the Club pool team actually put out your towels for you on the loungers! I can't stop smiling even thinking about this trip.
I would recommend this place to everyone - in fact I have been telling everyone I meet how wonderful it is.
My only hint would be...don't miss anything, join in, eat all the food, try all the special cocktails and if you like a massage.....go for the Excellence Massage it is exceptional.

Room Tip: Go for the Excellence Club if you can - a bit extra cost, but the Club service and your own Club are...
3  Thank clareandcolin
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed the last week of April. The hotel has a nice mix of ages/types of people. The location is nice and the beach has lots of chairs/palapa's etc. I enjoyed all of my meals. The lobster restaurant was my favorite. The staff cannot be friendlier and more helpful. There was always someplace to sit/lay by the pool or beach. People did save chairs and no one did anything about it, but we never had any problems. Maybe it wasnt too crowded. The business center is nice if you dont have your phone/etc. The bed was a bit hard for my taste, but room is nice size.

Room Tip: I stayed in bldg 7. was close to pools/restaurants, etc
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christy2064
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have been to some lovely hotels in my time.. but this hotel is quite simply perfect. the rooms, the food, the drinks, the pool areas, the service.. everything..
Its an adult only hotel, so nice and peaceful, unless you go near the pool bar.. so depending what you want, you can have it..
I would recommend this hotel to anyone... I have never been so impressed. Please feel free to e mail me if you want to know anything specific..
Di.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dianne K

This place is heaven.

The food is outstanding, the drinks are fantastic, the staff are friendley and polite. The choice of restraunts is great, even the quality of food at the beach luntime BBQ was great.

Rooms are fantstic, pool is great and very clean. Grounds are kept clean and plants well kept.

We had a fantastic honey moon here and would love to go back.

We also did the couples massage and hydrotherapy at the spa and it was fantastic (my first massage)

1  Thank epicholidaywin
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!