Excellence Riviera Cancun
US$448
US$329
US$229
  • Breakfast included
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
US$263
US$752
US$678
TripAdvisor
13,820 results
All reviewslazy riverchez isabellelobstermartini barthe grillflavor marketsol barspa viewbarcelona restaurantclub poolroom serviceour honeymoonfrench restaurantlas olasmichael jackson showclub levelswim up room
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I’ve never believed that anything could be perfect in life or with anything else. This continues to hold true with my experience and review for Excellence Riviera Cancun. However, it was in fact the best resort/hotel/accommodations my wife and I have ever been to. We’ve been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Costa Maya, Tulum and so forth. It was a tremendous experience right from the start when we got off the airport shuttle and handed the cold hand towel when we arrived. Let me get into some more detail as this review will likely be a long one.

In all honesty, I would like to give ERC 4.5 stars, but with the rating system at TripAdvisor, I went with the rule and rounded up. Again, no such thing as perfection.

We booked with Sunwing/Signature Vacations and went with the ‘basics’ of a junior suite for the last week of August. No EC. It was our four-year anniversary and it was more than we could have asked for already.

Arrival/First Impressions/Room:
We arrived and checked in at around 4pm. One of the bell staff took us to our room and the walk to our room from the front desk gave the property an extremely favourable impression. If anything, it got us very excited and we knew we were in for a treat. Sure, I followed the reviews on TA for the last 2 months and all the nice things people had written about ERC, but it’s never truly believable until you get there. That’s how I felt anyway.

As we arrived to our room (5301), a corner suite in spa faced building 5 on the third floor, we couldn’t help but notice the infamous in-room bar. Indeed, there was the 1L of Jose Cuervo, 750ml of Beefeater, red wine, 750ml of Jim Beam, and 1L of Smirnoff. The mini-fridge, which commonly operates more like a slight cooler (as it stays only barely cold – must be the norm), was stocked with 2 Cokes, 2 Coke Lights, white wine, Fanta Orange, Cristal (sparkling water), and 4 bottles of water. Can’t forget the Snickers, M&Ms, and Sabritas (Lays) regular-flvoured chips.

I decided to place the 1L of Cuervo to another spot in the room to ‘remind’ myself to dabble in it later on. Funny enough, they restocked it on the bar during turnover service. Thought this was hilarious, and couldn’t be more impressed by this by Excellence.

We had one vanity faucet that worked normal and then one vanity faucet that sprayed out like a shower head. That was dubbed mine (husband’s) vanity. In the end, we shared the other (regular) faucet. Not sure if this was something that needed to be called into maintenance for, but we didn’t since we always tried to be low-maintenance. The shower was good and so was the toilet. Nice to see the toilet had the 2-flush system going. Would be nice if all hotels would have this.

One of the first things I did when we got to our room was check WIFI (I know, I'm a sucker) and it worked quite well. I would say 90% of the time the connection was no problem. Was also able to stream a live football/soccer match in our room and while poolside on two separate occasions.

There were some of those small ants in our room as well. Yet, they only appeared when we used a stir stick after making some coffee on our 4th night there. We figured that they were attracted to the sugar. We took this as ‘we were in the tropics’ so we just let it be. There were only a few and they never went on the floor or anywhere else so it didn’t bother us.

Beach:
It’s true, the beach is just ok due to the seaweed. White sand, but dark seaweed. There is the tractor cleaning it up several times a day as best it can. The water is not as clear as Cancun’s or PdC’s (or Varadero’s or Caymans for that matter), however, when you love the ocean, you swim in it anyway. It was nice. My guess is that it’s the location of the resort and what the water is like in between Cancun and PdC. We also took walks to either sides of the beach to see what other resorts’ beach areas were like – it did seem like ERC had the widest stretch of sand.

Pool:
The layout of the pools makes it look like you can have a part of a pool to call your own. Whether it’s the lazy river effect or the 80% occupancy during our week there, it never felt overly crowded. We did not hang out too much at the main pool areas though and opted for the more quiet settings but still close enough to hear the music from the gazebo or the sol bar.

We absolutely loved the sun beds that were under the huts at the pool. There was always this one that seemed to stay open until 9-930am so we always aimed to grab that one, and then use it for most of the day if we were staying poolside. Out of the 7 days we were there, one day had 2.5 hours of straight rain/sprinkling/etc. Those huts keep you dry, near the pool, and close to hear what else is going on, at say, the theatre (where activities will happen when it rains). We ended up reading, napping, and even eating at this sun bed/hut. It was really nice and we were glad they existed, even if we couldn’t use one.

The issue with floatees still occurs. We were either able to get one earlier in the day (before 10am) or after peak pool times (after 330pm). Fun to have if you can get one but we liked to trek the pools so were able to enjoy ourselves without one as well.

Bars:
Never had an issue, and at the same time, never really connected with any of the tenders there. If we weren’t served by servers (more on staff below), I just went up and got drinks with no small talk. Martini bar, sol bar, café kafe were the ones we used most. Didn’t get a chance to partake at the blue bar (pool bar) or the theatre’s bar.

If you are a dark beer fan, try Victoria. Otherwise, try the Grasshopper martini if you don’t mind mint. Johnny Walker Black was also a good friend of mine, while the pina colada was my wife’s. The drinks of the days were not bad as well.

Cigar Lounge:
I don’t see many reviews talking about this in depth here and since I like cigars, particularly in warmer climates, I will go into a little more depth than usual here. The cigar lounge was nice and cozy, very oaky looking which suits the occasion. The walk-in humidor was 95% Cuban cigars and about 5% Mexican. The Cubans were the usual Cohiba (yes, they had Behike’s), Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, Montecristo (I think) and some others that I cannot remember. The Mexican brand they had was Buena Vista (a Cuban-seeded, Ecuadorean grown, Cuban rolled, but Cancun-originated cigar).

Prices for the Cubans were more expensive than in Cuba, which is usually the case, but pretty close to what I pay back home so I opted to open my palate to the Buena Vista Reserva, which is a fairly light flavoured cigar with real character showing up in its last-third. Believe they had torpedoes, robustos, and prominente vitolas for this cigar available.

In addition to the La Habana cigar lounge’s walk-in humidor, there was a humidor mostly of Cuban brands near the Martini bar as well. I saw people ‘order’ a cigar from there in which one of the bartenders retrieved it for them.

Dining:
We went in with balanced expectations for this. It is a resort after all, not Zagat Alley. But with this in mind, we were totally impressed. The grill…is a grill. The lobster grill…was a somewhat fancier grill, but still a grill, at least during the day.

We ate all the restaurants at night except Toscana (Italian). Basmati was incredible in my opinion. Agave was excellent too. I understand there’s been some lesser experiences with Agave but our general rule going into all the restaurants was to ask our server what they liked best. That really worked out well for us.

At Basmati, we had the butter chicken (twice) and the lamb vindalo (spicey) and they were all excellent. I won’t get into the appetizers or desserts, but were all very good.

At Agave, we had the flank steak (medium rare) and the lamb wrapped in leaves. Excellent flavours. The dessert here blew us away, though. We ordered the coconut flauta which was a pastry and it looked dull when we received it. Then after tasting, realized it was the best dessert the entire trip, which is hard to claim on this trip. The entire Agave experience was via recommendations of our server (more on staff below).

At Chez Isabelle, we had the salmon steak/tenderloin off the special anniversary menu and the filet mignon off the regular menu. Both excellent. Dessert was nice as well and they had a dessert/appertif cart of nice liqueurs. Dos Remy Martin por favor, even if it was only VSOP.

We never did the teppanyaki/hibachi grill at Spice as we can do that back home, but we did eat at the restaurant. We went in with very low expectations here given our backgrounds and came out pleasantly surprised. Had the pad thai and another dish, can’t remember. We never touched the sushi here or at other meal times at the Barcelona buffet. We are sushi fans, just not for the sushi here.

Barcelona for breakfast, and at times, for lunch, was excellent. Nice environment as well.

Had Oregano once for lunch ordering a pizza and calzone; pretty good. Cleaner and simpler presentation for each unlike typical US/CAN-based pizza or calzone.

We wanted to eat at Basmati and Agave twice but only managed to do Basmati twice since Agave was closed on our last full day there. Basmati does need to be air conditioned. Chez Isabelle was nice in presentation/décor but for some reason, I thought Spice was the nicest. Most spacious as well.

The Friday Mexican Fiesta dinner outside was a nice way to kick off Mexican/Mayan night. The Mexican Coffee was amazing – coffee, tequila, cinnamon, boiled in fruits. You won’t regret trying it. This dinner led to the Mexican show and then the Blue Moon Beach Party. What an excellent beach party set up, very impressive.

Room service, 24 hours, need I say more? We ended up getting mostly plain comfort food during such late times and got the philly cheesesteak at least twice along with hot dogs (crammed with onions, etc) and they come with little jars of mustard and ketchup. The skinny fries that came with the late night meals reminded us of McD’s fries, something I’m a fan of during such times of the day.

Spa:
We took in a couple’s massage during one of the days it was special. Each day there is a special for the spa. The massage was fantastic and the hydrotherapy usually experienced before the massage is quite unique. The hydrotherapy goes from 45 mins-1hr, then your massage begins for however long your package is. The spa is a very nice facility as well, quite tranquil indeed.

Shows:
All were done in good taste. Don’t expect Vegas calibre shows here but with the stage they had to work with (and the heat), they did very well were very entertaining. Our favourites were the Circus Show, the singing during Romantic Night, and Pop/Top 40 night with the b-boys.

Tipping:
We brought a little under $100 in ones to tip. We went with the rule of trying to keep it at $10 per day total in tips. We tipped our housekeeper most days, serving staff most of the times (double amounts at dinner time), and at times when warranted bartenders, activities staff, and bell man. I felt no pressure at all to tip and we only ended up tipping on average $6 a day I figure.

Activities:
Similar to a cruise ship (which was also what the lobby and stairs leading down to the Martini bar reminded us of), there were activities practically every hour from 8am to 5pm. Then again from 9/930pm until 1am.

Between the two of us, we participated in yoga, zumba, beach volleyball, water yoga, Puerto Morelos bike tour (lasts 1.5 hr), bingo, nightly shows, and the night club.

Staff:
Special mentions go to some of the staff. They deserve it.

Enrique & Ricardo – The young, energetic, and friendly duo in Barcelona restaurant. We saw them most often and really enjoyed their company.
Paola, Angel & Ricardo – The fun activities team guided by Sam and Daniel. Sam took us on the PM bike tour as well. Angel and Ricardo were the sports and games fanatics. Paola was the Zumba and water fitness instructor.
Olguin – The bellman who took us to our room while also greeting us many other times during our stay there.
Marianna & Jesus – Two of the serving staff that served us drinks many times poolside.
Bartolo – The ‘knowledgeable one’ at Agave restaurant.
Diogenes – The ‘professional one’ at Basmati restaurant.

All of the hosting staff at the eateries was very welcoming as well. It’s interesting that as you go into, say, Barcelona, they would take your room number, then refer to their list of room numbers to find your name and say your last name back to you. This was likely useful not only for their tracking purposes but also from a guest service standpoint. Nice touch nonetheless.

Management:
We had the pleasure of meeting the Assistant GM during the Manager’s Cocktail event. Matias was very pleasant and we even shared pictures of our pets with each. We wish him much success at Excellence Group.

I am quite sure that ERC management takes comments/feedback very seriously and I know that TripAdvisor is one of those areas that they refer to. So I hope my experiences with the accommodations and the staff will be realized and shared with the appropriate parties. Thank-you again for an excellent experience. We will be returning…just don’t know which and when.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, get buildings 1-5. If you want even more quiet, get buildings 8-9. More central, get buildings 6-7.
31  Thank hkplayer
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and Just completed a wonderful week at the ERC. From our arrival, greeted by champagne and warm towels, to the luxurious room accomodations we were pampered 24/7.
The variety of activities to the wonderful array of restaurants, all was FIRST CLASS. Several staff, including Noel, Alphonso, Jessica, Luis and Leyan were absolutely professional and very engaging.
I have never returned to any resort a second time but I can assure you that our next vacation will be a return to ERC.
Sherry and C.J. O'neill

3  Thank cjo13
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I travelled with my husband in March 2012 to this beautiful resort.
I cannot say enough good things about the hotel, grounds, food, beach & pools.
I loved this place so much, it was an ideal relaxing break and we made the most of the week by doing nothing apart from relaxing and occasionally walking up to Puerto Morelos where we would stop for a drink and walk back.
The Martini Bar was my favourite, had many a lovely evening in there sipping Mango Vodka's (yum) whilst figuring out where we were going to eat that night and all the restuarants were so nice.
I cant wait to go back !!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank voakly
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I traveled to Excellence Riviera Cancun for our Anniversary. We stayed on the 6th floor from August 14 – 21st. It was an awesome vacation; however, there are some things that could be improved upon. Last year we stayed at the Royal in Cancun which was PERFECT but the Excellence had more of a variety of things to do. Both are great resorts. This review is about the Excellence so read on…

Arrival
The first day we got to the resort by 11:30am, our room was not ready (we expected this since it was so early) and they gave us a pager. We went and ate lunch at The Grill then went to our suitcases to get our bathing suits out. While we were doing this, we got paged that our room was ready (it was about 1pm by this time). We got to the room and it was nice with the bed decorated. Our room was kind of old fashioned looking in. We found ants on the floor by the sliding glass door but this was not a big deal to me because it was right by the door. We changed and went out to the pool and had some drinks at the pool bar. We went out to dinner at The Lobster House that night. The Lobsters are HUGE. Expect a wait at EVERY restaurant you go to if it is after 7pm or so. They will page you when ready.

The next day, we just wanted to lie out and relax. They had a steel drum band playing by the pool for a few hours which was nice. There was some sort of band every day by the pool. There was also trivia or bingo most days. One day was music trivia and one was movie trivia. If you guess an answer wrong, they make you do a shot of tequilla! haha that was amusing. That was fun to watch people get up there and dance and get crazy. Near the main pool they have a pottery painting cart. You can pick a piece of pottery and paint it. The gentleman working there is so nice! After we painted our items, he glazed them and even touched up the black lines! He makes it look professional.

Shopping
We did the Playa Del Carmen shopping trip from 4-9pm. That is arranged by Olympus Tours. Please note: it is actually not 4 hours of shopping. By the time you get there, you only get two hours and 50 minutes. The bus tour man will try to get you to his “friends” store: La Hacienda for tequila tasting. We did this and it was only about 20 minutes worth, but I’m guessing he has some arrangement set up with the store to get everyone to go there to buy things. If you don’t want to go there, you can just go ahead and walk down 5th ave and start your shopping. You will get asked by EVERY person to go into their shop and buy something. If you get stressed/annoyed easily, this will affect you. They have tigers/jaguars at this one alley and you can take your picture with them for $20. I believe the animals are drugged because they are calm and some are sleeping.

The resort offers a free shopping trip daily from hotel to Puerto Morales. It runs from 6-8pm and you just have to tip the taxi driver. This is something different to do and go to the little town. There isn’t much shopping but its’ right on the water and you can grab a bite to eat. It’s nice to see the real life families hanging out on the beach. We ate at Pelicanos. It was OK.

Drink service
The waiters are OK but I found that most of them will walk by pick up the drinks and not even ask you if you want a drink. This kind of service was the total opposite at The Royal. Drinks are kind of weak and they don’t like to put liquor in them. You will NEVER get the same drink made the same way twice. This happened with every single drink I had except for beer or wine. For example, I like Blue Lagoons which are made with lemonade and blue curacao and vodka. Often this was made with sprite, cranberry juice or whatever else they could throw in it. This happened to many people we met as well as my husband.

Entertainment
The entertainment crew is awesome. Angel and Daniel by the pool are great at hosting activities. They will keep you entertained and there is always some sort of game/contest by the pool that they play. Also there is music everyday which is nice. The resort has a drink of the day and special drinks on the beach. One day they had coco loco’s that they made in real coconuts. The next day they had all different kinds of margaritas. This went only from about 12-1:30pm so get the drinks while you can. The beach is awesome although there is seaweed everywhere. That did not bother us but I know it did for some. The water is not clear either. Cancun beaches have clear water and this water was almost like lake water. Still nice though. Kind of rocky too. Each night there was a different show. These shows were fantastic! They compare to the shows on cruise ships. They had a Michael Jackson show and this one was by far the greatest shows I have ever seen. It’s nice to sit outside in the outdoor theater, have a drink, watch a show and enjoy the beach breeze. After the show is over, we usually listed to the band by the martini bar then headed to the night club called Alegrio. This was a dance club that had different nights, such as karaoke, 80’s night and other themed nights. Night club was open until 1am and it was pretty busy every night we were there right up until close.
Each night before dinner we would go to the Martini Bar, grab a martini and go sit outside by the live band until we got paged for dinner. This was the best part of the trip! Who doesn’t love cocktails before dinner! We tried all the restaurants on the resort except for Basmati the Indian restaurant. Agave has awful food and service. The menu is far less than exceptional and the food is overcooked. You would not expect this for a Mexican restaurant in Mexico! The service took us over 2 hours to eat and leave. We would wait about 30 minutes between courses. We wanted desert but did not want to wait any longer. I think they are understaffed there. The Italian restaurant (Toscana) was good! Ricardo was our waiter and so adorable! He was such a nice young boy. If you are Italian, do not expect this to be like the Italian food at home. The minestrone soup was great though! The caprese salad was delicious and for the main course I had pasta with alfredo. It was OK. The portions are real small at all of the restaurants. Almost like bite sized items. You can however order double or whatever you want if you know that you will like it. The tiramisu which is my favorite desert at home was OK but super small. Like two bites and it’s gone! The French restaurant (Chez Isabelle) was by far the best restaurant on the resort. The cheese crepes were out of this world! I am a picky eater and don’t like too much meat so I ordered French onion soup, quiche, and three crepes! Plus the crème brulee for desert which was yummy but cold  My husband said the filet mignon was out of this world!

Overall, this resort was awesome! Definitely geared toward the mid 20’s early 40s crowd but there was something for everyone. We didn’t have a problem meeting a ton of people our age (late 20’s-early 30’s) at all. Expect a great time with tons of stuff to do!! You will be sad to leave!

Room Tip: Building 6 is a great location. You can hear the band from your room while you are touching up before heading back out for the night.
3  Thank candycandy2011
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I was so nervous to book an all-inclusive! I had never stayed at one before and there were so many to choose from in this area. I read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor and finally settled on this one. I was not disappointed! My husband and I loved it!

First and foremost, the staff is fantastic! They are so friendly and accommodating! Everyone smiles and says "hola" and they are really good workers. Housekeeping was excellent; we were in awe at how clean the resort was, absolutely spotless! Our favorite was Joel, the bartender at the Excellence Club pool. He made our days at the pool most enjoyable. I recommend the mango mojito. The swim-up bar is fun too, but tends to be a little more rowdy. We were glad to be in the Excellence Club because our pool was a little quieter, but not boring, and we received excellent service. We also loved our beach area, nice and quiet with plenty of beach beds to go around. I had read that the beach wasn't so great, but we found it to be lovely. The sand was nice and clean and we swam in the ocean several times.

The room was quite comfortable, and as I mentioned before, very clean. We always had fresh fruit in our room, and the fridge was always well stocked with snacks and bottles of water. Every day a special treat, like chocolate-covered strawberries, was left in our room, which was a nice surprise.

As part of our honeymoon package, we had a couples massage at the Miile spa, which included an hour-long hydrotherapy. That was an interesting experience! The spa is gorgeous and the massage was great! I definitely recommend a spa treatment if you go.

The first night we were there, we were blown away by the entertainment. I can't remember the name of the group performing, but they great! There was a guy beat-boxing and a group of break-dancers. The other nights were good, too, but not as good as the first night. There was a Michael Jackson tribute night, which was pretty good, and a Madonna tribute, which was just OK. The fire show was great too!

During the day there are lots of activities. We took Spanish lessons and scuba-diving lessons (not included but worth the money). I wanted to do Zumba, but it was just too hot for me! There was also a stand set up in the main area where you could buy a piece of pottery and paint it. I was happy to see this, being the crafty person that I am.

The food was very good, but not excellent. The breakfast buffet was great, and we had the lunch buffet one day, which also was good. The Italian restaurant was pretty good (better than I expected), as was Chez Isabelle. The portions at Chez Isabelle are tiny! We felt that we needed to eat there because it seemed like it was the nicest and most popular restaurant, but it wasn't our favorite. We liked Basmati and Spice the best. The only drawback about Basmati is that it is so stuffy in there! There is no AC and no open windows. Not fun when you're eating spicy food! We were surprised that the Mexican restaurant wasn't that good, considering that we were in Mexico! We had lunch on the beach one day, a Caribbean buffet, and it was very good! We loved stopping in at the Excellence Club for snacks, which were great! Overall, we only had a couple of meals that weren't good, but it didn't get in the way of enjoying our trip.

There are a few things to note about the resort. For one thing, all the salt shakers are clogged, probably because of the humidity. Maybe they should switch to salt grinders? The butter isn't butter, but margarine. The road leading to the resort is bumpy and beat up. Why isn't it paved? Strange. It's a bummer that people can smoke in the pool. It's fine if they want to smoke around the pool area, but in the pool? It's gross. Not the resort's fault, I just wish people would be more respectful of others, especially when they're smoking stinky cigars.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this resort. We had a great time and didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: We had an Excellence Club ocean-front room and loved it. I think it was worth the extra money.
3  Thank Felicia D