“Great Place”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
platte sd
“Great Place”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

stayed 11/30 to 12/6 had great weather and wonderful time good service liked all the food but one of my favorites was at noon at grill the burritos were unbelievable and the brick oven pizza at the beach bar is tasty would have rated it a 5 but stayed at excellence plya mujeras and thought it was a step above but don't know if its really worth the extra price tag

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,695)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My husband & I just returned from ERC for a one week vacation. Last year we spent 2 weeks at Excellence in Punta Cana, which turned out to be our number one resort.
We are not picky people and I have no complaints about the friendly staff or service. However, on the third day we ordered room service for breakfast and when he set it up he picked up the mugs in our room for coffee and said these cups are dirty. We said we had never used them, and he gave us cups and saucers that he brought, and took the dirty mugs with him. The day before we left we ordered room service again, using our clean mugs. After the housekeeper left, I checked the cups and glasses and found they are NEVER washed, just rinsed. I reported this to the Excellence Club and the head of house keeping came up, agreed with me that this was unacceptable, but would not even look at any other glasses in the room to see if they were clean. Since this happened more than once, I question if this is standard practice?

3 Thank barbarabutch
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention.

Allow us to apologize for the bad impression acquired, due to this incident. At Excellence we are committed to provide services and facilities in consistency with the hotel high standards, a supervision is held in all the rooms and areas after the cleaning process to ensure our installations comply with this goal. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Nevertheless we do hope that despite this inconvenience you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again, in order to have the chance to show you the real meaning of service that you expect from us.
england
Reviewed 7 December 2013

my wife and i have just returned from a 9 night stay at the above hotel.We flew with Thomas Cook from Manchester we up graded to their premium service a cost of £99 per couple if we sat behind one another or £199 per couple to sit together the only thing we got was wider seats.An old plane very poor entainment and a complete waste up grading.On arrival at the hotel we were booked in to a standard room 6215. When we had booked a junior swim up suite we were reallocated room 9004 which was a junior swim up but was alongside a main road which was noisy we returned to reception and again was booked into another junior swim up suite room 6002 which was the darkest room we have ever had the room was dated .The maid service was poor as was the mini bar refill it took a complaint for it to get better . The restaurants which do not allow booking always had long queues of upto 50 mins the food was generally good but repetitive.The best bar for drinks service was the Martini bar.
Reception was probably the worst we have experienced they had booked us in for a 5 night stay then a 2 night and another 2 night stay instead of 9 nights every few days we asked if we were checking out.We were asked by reception on our arrival was it a special trip we informed them it was a 50th birthday i dont know why they wanted to know nothing every happened.The staff are mostly friendly but the management leave alot to be desired. A Big thanks to Alberto the jumbo tours rep for sorting our hotels problems out. Brits we awere Americans take priority

2 Thank mettyEngland
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us. We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We arrived on November 24th and stayed for 10 days, as our previous trip here 2 years ago was a 7 day visit and was not long enough. We have travelled all over Mexico and have never returned to a resort before, but we loved the ERC and wanted to repeat the experience.
They were very busy at check-in but the greeting champagne helped with the wait. Karla was very efficient and suggested we wait in the Martini bar and so our vacation started.
We were in the 2000 block by the spa, previous visit we were in the 6000 block which is sort of in the busier section, we liked both sections for different reasons. As returning guests we had a lovely chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us. Also since our previous visit all rooms now have 4 bottles of hard liquor and 2 full bottles of wine in the room,as well as beer,pop,water and chocolates, nice touch. Our shower was lovely and always plenty of hot water. Housekeeping was great they always cleaned our room in the morning and did a turn down service at night. The hair dryer was very efficient, you do not have to brings yours from home, the magnifying mirror could have been a bit stronger for me, at home I use a 5X, lights above the vanity could do with being a bit stronger.
Some of the menu's have changed, the french restaurant had been our favourite on our last visit, the bouillabaisse was the best I had ever eaten this time it was a few tiny shrimp and scallops in a dreary clear broth, all the waiters work very hard, but the service does vary from each restaurant. Our favourite's this time for quality of food and service were Basmati, the lobster house and the grill, we always enjoyed the buffet breakfasts and lunches in Barcelona, also the fun bar b que's on the beach at lunch time, good food and good music. I could see where cuts had been made, on our previous visit there were more bell boys at check in and a lot more poolside waiters, because we preferred the spa pool some days we only saw a waiter once in 8 hours. To keep this resort at the top of my list, they do need to address the staff issues, repair the concrete around the pools and give the loungers new cushions, as they are in a pretty bad way. The staff here are incredible, nothing is to much trouble, we did yoga, water yoga, a couple of quiz's (lots of fun) and my husband did the bike ride in to Puerto Morelos, which he really enjoyed. Every evening you get a sheet with tomorrows agenda, tells you which restaurants are open, which shows are on etc. whether you want to keep busy or relax the choice is yours. We went to the Martini bar every evening before dinner and met so many interesting and very nice people, I quite miss those mango Martini's (very recommended). I have left the worse for last and that is "THE ROAD", two years ago it was fine, now it is not, actually I wouldn't even refer to it as a road, I thought that previous comments of TA had to be exaggerations, believe me they are not. I feel dreadfully sorry for the staff that have to ride that road to get back and forth to work, because of the road we did not do any side trips, that was o.k. as we have done a lot of them on previous visits to the area, but had it been our first trip to the Mayan Riviera I would have been very disappointed. I take my hat off to the drivers who do there best to navigate the huge pot holes that are under water, goodness knows what damage it is doing to there vehicles
I will be keeping an open mind about returning to this resort, because I do really love it but will definitely not consider a return trip unless the road is fixed. We met many people at the resort who were also returning guests and felt the same way, so the ERC and the many other resorts really need to do something.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room at this resort, if you prefer a quiet room book one around the...
4 Thank gold61
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Even thought the temperatures were cooler than average, we had an amazing time at the Excellence. My wife could relax at the beach or lounge by the pool or enjoy one of the best Spa's we have ever been to, while I could enjoy the fun activities. Isreal and his event planners at the resort always have a smile on their face and are there to be sure you are having a good time if you want to. I did the Yoga classes 2 times a day and they were incredible ranging in difficulty. Paola had her class by the beach and was much calmer and more on the beginner side, but still challenging. The other yoga instructor over by the spa in the mornings would have a challenging and beautifully intense program that would invigorate you for the rest of your day! You could follow this up with an amazing drink at the juice bar before beginning your day of other drinks.

We did crave a little bit more of some authentic mexican food, but over all the dining was good and the service was incredible. I had a craving for ceviche at a restaurant that didn't have it, and they said no problem and whipped me up a delicious bowl in no time at all. Overall we felt the best dining was at the little hut by the beach. It was consistently good and they changed the menu up daily.

5 Thank Hibbcs
Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I just returned last night from yet another amazing vacation at the Excellence Riviera Cancun. We were there to celebrate my 42nd birthday and I could not have asked for a more perfect experience. This was our 10th....yep 10th, return to this resort. It has now become a tradition for us to visit 2 times per year--in May and in December. We've already booked our trip for May 2014! Our stay at Excellence, like on all past stays, was amazing. Here are a few reasons why:
#1. THE STAFF is by far the most attentive and hard-working group of people I've had the pleasure of knowing, and play a big part in why we keep coming back! They remember our names each time they see us and even remember our favorite drinks--from past visits! They go out of their way to make sure we are happy. I have never had a request denied. They seem to do all within their power to make sure their guests are happy! Thank you to Victor, Jonathan, Luis and Luis, Margarita, Raul, David, Alejandro, Russell, Melissa, and SO MANY MORE for making yet another birthday one to remember!!
#2. THE FOOD...oh they yummy food!! Our new favorite is the Indian restaurant, Basmati. Everything is so delicious! I have a pretty severe gluten allergy, and am not very familiar with Indian cuisine, so our waiter Luis was so kind to send the chef to our table to discuss my options. Once he understood what we did and did not like, he came up with the most delicious meal. I think the Chicken Masala was our fav!! The French restaurant, Chez Isabelle, comes in a close 2nd place! The sea bass is to die for. Seriously! We love all the food at ALL the restaurants, and I never had an allergic reaction while I was there! Thank you all for being so wonderful! OH! Don't forget to use the room service! The food is always delish and it's available 24hrs a day! We love ordering a light breakfast and pot of coffee to be delivered into our X-BOX. We place the order the night before. This way we aren't disturbed, if we decide to sleep in, and wake up to a yummy breakfast we can enjoy in our pj's! PS. Don't forget to leave a tip in the X-BOX.
#3. THE SPA: Miile Spa is amazing. I've visited some of the best spas around the world and Miile Spa is one of the best. My husband and I typically like to enjoy the couples massage on the beach at sunset. This time, we enjoyed our massage indoors, and it was just as relaxing! Thank you Russell!
Other things to try: Scuba Diving. We usually dive at least once while we're here. This time my husband dove the ship wreck, and had a great time! We love walking to Puerto Morales to shop and eat ceviche on the beach. The workout facilities are great or we also like running on the beach.
I hope this information helps when trying to choose your next vacation. We have stayed at other 5-star resorts in Mexico: El Dorado Maroma, El Dorado Royale and Secrets Capri to name a few, but Excellence is by FAR our favorite!

Room Tip: Buildings 3 or 6. We like the 3rd floor corner rooms: 3301 and 6301
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clearmm
Chester
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Myself and my partner travel a lot, and we have been planning to stay here for sometime as it looks heavenly. So if your seriously considering investing (as it is expensive £4100/2 weeks/couple) in a trip here please do read this review as I will try to be thorough.

When we arrived we were greeted by the porter, so no carrying of bags & immediately handed a glass of champagne and the entrance area is seriously elegant without quite being dramatically jaw dropping.

There was a niggle at the reception ( there was two staff on, one was on the telephone for a significant period of time - after 13 hours traveling you want your room quickly) so small room for improvement here. We were asked at reception to leave a swipe of $240 on a credit card this is in-case you want to charge things back to your room. Not a problem - but we didn't know to expect this and we were not told what it was for and had to ask twice. We were told it was in case of damages to the room, initially.

We had a Junior swim up suite and the room is lovely,
Open plan, huge walk in shower area, free standing large Jacuzzi, Large King double bed, Flat screen TV probs 32". Detracting from perfect - and if you want to be picky -
i) The grouting around the edge of the jacuzzi was tired and failing.
ii) The TV remote didn't work.
III) The Shower had scum around the sink hole.
iv) The mini bar fridge shelf was broken.
I hasten to add that anything you point out gets quick attention - the TV remote was replaced immediately.
I am not sure our room was best placed as it didn't receive the best sun - not something i expect the hotel to resolve.

The service
- Is generally 1st class the equal of the best anywhere in the world the staff are attentive, kind friendly and helpful. Asked poolside if I would like a drink - is amazing.

The Food
Hmm, ok for me the food is average/average plus not amazing and we struggled a bit with it. Not in keeping with a hotel of this amazing standard and the only thing that would give us pause for thought in re-booking immediately.

Weather
We went end November, and so the weather was variable between 22 cloudy/rainy and 30 sunny. The weather is unpredictable so if you go this time of year expect the unexpected not necessarily perfect sun.

Location
This hotel is NOT in a good location if your set on exploring local cities/towns etc you are 45 minutes /$45 taxi from cancun and the same from Playa Del Carmen. There is a village Puerto Moreles nearby but this is small with a lot less to see. So exploring isn't great from this location. You are a little isolated at the resort if this doesnt phase you then great.

The Trips
We weren't really here for anything but a recharge so trips werent really on our radar but we booked a Jungle tour on a speedboat (not super fast) which you drive through the mangroves yourself and then snorkel on the reef. This was a great trip cost about $170/2 and thats transport, 45 mins each way. About 2 hours of you driving the speedboat and about 45 minutes snorkelling (all equipment provided) Great fun. We also booked a couple of trips shopping (cheaper than getting a taxi $25 round trip 6pm - 9pm as opposed to 50 return with a taxi) to Playa Del Carmen and a second more closely and complimentary to Puerto Moreles. We toyed with Xcaret and Dolphins but we didn't do it.

The layout of the resort is fabulous, the entertainment unlike other hotels was truly holiday like and we thoroughly enjoyed, from lunchtime live bands playing Dire straights & Journey classics, to courtyard bands playing 80's classics. Add to this wonderful cocktails and you have a very pleasant atmosphere. There are many restaurants and bars, the layout is very pleasing to the eye.

The Pools
If for you the pool is important like it always is to us then you will be completely happy here the pool is AWESOME, it is huge, there are a number of different areas so you can find quite, noisy, private all to your taste it almost runs right around the hotel. And of course the beach is 50 yards away if you prefer that.

We had a fabulous time here - great memories and would consider coming back most definitely. Mexico is a lovely country just a couple of glitches prevent it being 'dreamlike utopia'

Room Tip: Excellence Club is the best but at a premium mostly the views over the ocean but is this worth the e...
3 Thank flacksd
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

However we are disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!