“Consistently Excellent Service”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun from November 23 - 30, 2013. This was our 13th stay at ERC and needless to say this is our home away from home. We were joined on this trip by our good friends who also have several stays at ERC.

Excellence Club
We have always stayed at the Club level on all of our trips and feel it is worth the additional money you pay for all the extra things you get, especially the private beach and pool area, Club and Concierge service, all day snacks, appetizers and top shelf liquor. They are currently upgrading the club level rooms and were halfway through building 8 during our trip, they started with the swim-up rooms and are working their way up. They removed the large TV stand and mounted the flat screen TV on the wall and then built a long marble shelf under the TV where you can set our luggage. The beds are now mounted on the floor with the headboard being part of the wall and they were providing all new pillow top mattresses. They did add some new furniture and changed the bench on the porch to a small day bed. They have gotten rid of all the computers in the Club lounge since the whole resort and beach area now have very good Wi-Fi service and most people use their phones or pads. They did move all of the computers up to the front lobby area and have made a very large computer center if you need it and it does include a printer. There was also a wireless printer in the Club which you could connect to if you wanted to print something. They have once again rearranged all of the furniture in the Excellence Club since they removed the computers. The have added more small round tables to dine from, they expanded the bar area by making it longer, and they moved the large liquor cabinet behind the bar area and cut it down in size. They have added numerous new day beds around the pool and out on the beach and fixed up several of the palapas. Most of the older beach chairs and wicker beach beds were moved to the regular beach area which has improved that area also.

Renovations
Besides the changes in the Club section, Chez Isabell is also under renovation and the meals are currently being served in the Barcelona restaurant. They are also reworking all of the shops by the Theater, the Cigar shop was made much smaller and it is back open, the Jewelry shop was almost ready to re-open when we left, and all of this made room for 2 more stores, but not sure what was going in the new locations.

Dining
The quality and selection of food in our opinion, is very good and the breakfast and lunch buffets in Barcelona have an endless selection and various choices to suit any appetite. We especially like the cook to order egg station at breakfast and the cook to order meat station for lunch. Our favorite places to dine in the evening are Chez Isabell, Basmati, The Lobster House, and Toscana. Remember if you do not get a good meal or enough to eat just ask and ERC will take care of your requests. By staying in the Club we also had the pleasure to enjoy the special afternoon chocolate treats and drinks on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at 4:30, and this is not to be missed if you are a chocoholic! Additionally, the afternoon Crepes at Café Kafe and the Pizza oven are all nice additions that have been added to the ERC dining options in the last several visits. We had the pleasure of meeting the new Head Chef at ERC Ernesto Palapa who took very good care of us, and Chef Saju in Basmasti who always makes sure we get something special for dinner.

Entertainment
Once again ERC provided great daytime and evening entertainment especially all of the different bands they get to play are all really good. Not to be missed is the Michael Jackson Show, The Urban Show and Claudia Trevino. The one day they also had mechanical bull riding on the beach for the rock and roll burger event. The Disco was very active on this trip and every night there were lot of people partying and dancing.

Employees
Once again GM Jean Francois Girault, Asst. GM Susana Maura and Guest Service Mgr. Mariana Montes provided with an exceptional vacation and special returning guests services that were beyond our expectations. The entire team ERC of employees is why we return again and again to this resort, and ERC always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation!

8  Thank sunylatitude
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks encountered at our Restaurants and bars, and lastly but no less important, our Resort facilities. We will ensure that your amiable comments reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at Excellence Riviera Cancun. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests.

We all look forward to welcome you once again, and to make every effort to continue exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have just returned from a totally stress free relaxing holiday at ERC. The holiday was recommended and arranged by Blue Bay Travel and exceeded all our expectations.
The hotel and service was first class, the rooms and grounds were impressive to say the least.
Food and drink was always of a high standard served as ordered at the correct temperature.
The staff really made the holiday special, everyone always had time for a chat. We stayed in an excellence club ocean front room. The pool bar, excellence club and concierge staff deserve a special mention. They were all extremely caring, professional and a credit to the hotel.
We are already planning to book again.
The only negative was the road leading to the hotel which we hope will be fixed soon.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin057
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Excellence Riviera Cancun is an excellent resort. My wife and I went for our honeymoon from Dec. 1st – Dec. 7th 2013. We would go back anytime. Many of the other guests had been to an Excellence resort before; I’d say about 20% of them. I can see why they choose to come back. The overall experience is very relaxing. The service is top notch. Of course not everyone can be perfect but 95% of the workers are fantastic. The drink and food selection is vast. I highly recommend Excellence Riviera Cancun for couples. I would not recommend it to someone who wants to go for a big, loud party with tons of nightlife.

With my review I’d like to dispel many of the negative things you’ll hear on other reviews. I think these negatives are way overblown or a near fabrication made up by someone who is simply impossible to please. There were a few items we found to be true from some of the reviews, but I still feel they are overblown. Those are detailed in #s 9, 10 and 11 below. The only thing I can see as a possible deal breaker for a select few is the bed. It is extremely firm, even though it is a pillow top. If you absolutely have to have a soft bed and can’t sleep without it you’ll probably be in trouble. I like a medium bed and I was absolutely fine.

1. The restaurant food is bad. This is so not true. The food ranges from 3 to 4 star restaurant quality. The food reminds me of something you would find from TGI Friday’s, P.F. Changs, Olive Garden, Applebees, Outback or Red Lobster. Sometimes it’s not quite as good and other times it’s better, but it’s never bad.
2. The room service food takes a long time and is cold when it arrives. I never experienced this. The room service was there at worst in 35 minutes and at least warm. It was very much like Applebee’s quality.
3. It’s too busy and I wait forever for a drink. We only waited a few minutes ever, even at the Martini bar when it was slammed we got drinks quickly. You don’t get your own personally butler that follows you around, sorry that’s not part of the package.
4. The pool is cold. The pools are not warmed at Excellence. During out stay the water ranged 78 – 79 all the time, and that’s in December. Once you get in for a few minutes its fine. Come to Ohio where I live and you’re lucky to get 76 on the hottest days.
5. There is noisy, annoying construction. Of course there is construction. They have to fix stuff and keep the place up-to-date. They are open all the time so they have to do maintenance while the guests are there. They only do major maintenance between 9am and 2pm, I was told. This is what I found. It would be annoying if they were doing it right next to your room, but who the hell wants to stay in their room all day? Just go somewhere where there is no noise, like the beach or one of the pools where you should be all day anyway.
6. The beach is small and has too much seaweed. We walked about 3 miles down the beach, to Puerto Morelos for our diving. By far Excellence had the biggest, nicest beach of any resort. The Seaweed is everywhere, at every resort from north of Cancun at Isla Mujeres to south of Playa Del Carmen. That's just how the Cancun/Riviera Maya area is, due to the reef. If you don’t want seaweed go to Punta Cana in the Dom. Rep. or Montego Bay in Jamaica.
7. The water is rough. Due to the Meso-American reef (a major feature of the eastern border of Mexico) the water is rough from north of Cancun at Isla Mujeres to south of Playa Del Carmen down to Tulum. If you want calm, crystal blue water go to The Bahamas, Aruba or Montego Bay in Jamaica.
8. The pools are loud. That is a crazy statement. The music they play at the pool bars is some generic Caribbean techno stuff. It’s at a relatively acceptable volume. Even right next to the bar you can easily hear everyone speaking around you. I never heard any other music. I recommend bringing an mp3/ipod if you want to hear anything except the weird stuff they play.
9. The pool areas with bars fill up quick. This is true. You need to be out there before the bar actually opens, around 9:30 am. If you leave you’ll lose your place. People tend to leave their stuff there all day, even if they leave. You could always just move their crap to the ground and take their seat, as it clearly states you can’t save seats at the pool/beach. You’ll still find a place at one of the non-bar pool areas. You’ll just have to walk further to get a drink. The beach always had tons of seating available. Maybe it’s worse during more prime months?
10. There is no privacy in the bathroom. Yes the tub/Jacuzzi is in the middle of the room but there is a giant closed shower too. Unless you take a bath everyday like a little kid with your rubber ducky you should be fine. There are about 8 inch gaps at the top and bottom of the toilet door, which leads directly into the main bathroom area. I guess this could be bothersome to those with serious bowel issues. For me and my wife we just dealt with it. I mean at home we don’t even close the bathroom door half the time. Just turn up the tv or turn on the radio, or have the other person go outside.
11. The road to the resort is crazy. It is pretty crazy. There are big pot holes and the driver has to crawl over them. Still it’s not like you’re going to die or anything. Even at the worst with severe flooding it’s 20 mins. Your taxi is air conditioned. I think you can handle 40 mins. of rough road for a week of total relaxation.

Room Tip: Not sure if certain rooms are better. The only thing I could think would be annoying is if they are...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Matt K

It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Riviera Cancun exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I booked a 3-day getaway at a club level honeymoon suite at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in November of 2013. There were some nice aspects about the property and the service, but I would not recommend it to a friend, nor will we return.

We booked transportation from the hotel's service. We had to wait 30 minutes after we arrived for our driver. Not the end of the world, but not what we paid for either. Our vacation time is precious and waiting for a driver was not a good way to start. As many other travelers have noted, the road is very bad to the property, but it did not bother us at all. The driver was very nice.

When we arrived at 2:00 PM, our room wasn't ready, so we settled into the club lounge, which is a very nice setting to get a drink or a light meal. Early check-in was one of the benefits of the club level, so it was disappointing to have to wait for our room. After an international flight, I am always ready to unpack my bag and get settled in.

When our room was ready after 3:00, we were shown to our honeymoon suite. This room, which cost about $200 more per night was located on the ground floor, across from the elevator and right in a main breezeway where people would come back from the beach. OK, so at this point, you may be thinking that I am a travel snob and that this should not be that big of a deal. Perhaps you are right, but as a very frequent traveler over the last 20 years, I know a lousy room when I get one. This was a lousy room location and I asked them to move us so we didn't have to endure the noise and traffic of this poor location.

Without another honeymoon suite available, they showed us to a room in a much better location, it was just a normal room, not a suite. Again, not the end of the world, we can live in a standard room. Certainly, they will make it up to us somehow, right? Right? No. Not even close. The phone rings 2 minutes after we get in the room and they tell us the "room is not ready for you yet." The room was perfectly ready for us, but we trudged again down to the club lounge where we had to wait another 30 minutes, wondering why we were being treated so poorly. Why? Were they trying to get us a better room? Were they figuring out how to make a customer happy? No. We were made to wait because their lawyer was drafting a waiver for me to sign that I wasn't going to get any credit for the change of room because the room I booked was ready and I just didn't want it. Wow, that's really, really terrible service. Not only are you making me wait for the third time, but you are telling me in a very legal way that you aren't going to do squat for me to make up for the situation. I'm an easy-going traveler and this could have easily been resolved by giving me a credit at the spa or something other than the runaround and a legal document to sign in order to get into my room.

Shame on you, Excellence Riviera Cancun. Shame. On. You.

The other reviews here are accurate for the property:
-the food is good, not great
-the service at the restaurants and bars was fantastic
-the room was very nice
-we had a hard time eating at the lobster restaurant without a 2 hour wait
-the beach is OK, the water is brown and not nearly as inviting as the other places we've stayed in the area.

So, that's my review. The property, food and service were worthy of 4+ stars but I am probably being generous with an overall 3 star rating since they ruined the first day of my trip and exhibited what I felt was exceptionally, surprisingly insulting service to us on our arrival.

If you go, hope you have a better experience, but beware the honeymoon suite if you don't want to be in the location I described.

6  Thank Jeff S

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that your check-in experience with us was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

this was our eighth visit to excellence riviera in Cancun. I don't know if they had new management or what, but we were greatly disapointed. The rooms we were promised were not available to us when we checked in. There was never any fresh fruit in the rooms as in all our past other visits when the rooms were cleaned.
The French restaurant was closed for renovations. This restaurant was switched to the buffet barcelona. It was impossible to get in without waiting one and a half hours. The food was not as good . The portions which were always small by any standard were even smaller. The executive club had been changed around and the snacks that were offered were nothing special The bbq buffet on the beach left a lot to be desired as well
We spoke to the staff and were saddened to find out that there was a large turnover about every three months. The staff seemed distant and although polite , the welcome home atmosphere that had brought us back again and again was not there.
Again when we asked about the management we found out that a new general manager was in place . Where was he? not on the grounds or never available was our answer.

As far as the hotel is concerned, it is getting run down. We noticed tiles falling off the walls or in several areas in need of repair.
what has happened to this hotel? After staying at the Excellence for so many years and getting such great service in the past , it is hard to reccommend this hotel . We were greatly disappointed and as the caption states it is not excellent anymore

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tony r

First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts. It is our regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Riviera Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

We would like to mention that as a resort policy, the suite locations are upon request and subject to availability. However at Excellence Resorts our guest requests are considered priority, and the hotel always do their best to meet guest preferences when possible.

On the other hand, Excellence Resorts is recognized for achieving superior quality in appearance and maintenance of our properties and facilities, just as many other attributes that enable us to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience. We deeply regret the discommode caused by the maintenance since our main priority will remain as always on fulfilling the upgrading, while pursuing little or none inconveniences to our guests.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed in a Excellence Club Jr Swim Up Suite Oceanview suite. and used Lomas transportation to and from the airport.
The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are kept clean and perfect. the people are incredibly friendly from the concierge to the waiters to the ground keepers, everyone is willing to help you.
Our room was cleaned twice a day everyday.
You can have the choice of staying in a quiet area by the garden / spa area or a slightly less quiet area by the pool either way the noise diminishes by 6PM (at least when we went).
The food and restaurants are great. you can stay for a week and not eat dinner at the same place.
Every day and night they have things to do if you choose to do something other than lay around and do nothing. the shows at night are entertaining to say the least mostly the Urban Show and the Fire Show.
The real Corona and Pacifico beer is tasty (I wonder what they do to it in the USA to make it so bland). The town of Puerto Morelos is about 45 minute walk south. good for trinkets and cheap gifts and there is also an Uruguyan restaurant there with great food (Chimichurri).
My wife and I would go again and again.
FYI - the second biggest barrier reef in the world is located here. makes for a seaweed filled beach so if you don't the seaweed touching you then it is OK.

Room Tip: Rooms in the garden / spa area are quieter but far from the beach and bars / activities. No real oce...
Reviewed 9 December 2013

stayed 11/30 to 12/6 had great weather and wonderful time good service liked all the food but one of my favorites was at noon at grill the burritos were unbelievable and the brick oven pizza at the beach bar is tasty would have rated it a 5 but stayed at excellence plya mujeras and thought it was a step above but don't know if its really worth the extra price tag

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!