“A game of two halves”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First let me say I had the best holiday ever. As already reported grounds are beautiful, rooms are a little tired but kept very clean by the maids and the food is of a good quality. Yes there is seaweed on the beach, but it's next the ocean... go figure! Not sure where the comments about unfriendly staff are coming from as I find that these are very gracious people who really could not do enough. If you don't get something then ask it normally arrives PDQ ( on that note we email the hotel with our room request 4/5 weeks before we arrived and we got exactly what we asked for). Room service was good and the food warm though not hot when it arrived but then it has got to travel a fair way to get to you so be realistic people!

Tip for the ladies, hair dryer is fine in the room so no need to pack one I have long thick hair and it did OK for me.

Room tip: our room was in block three, top floor closest to block 2, this gave a fantastic view through the hotel and to the sea beyond.

Did not feel the need to upgrade to the club, however if number I essential is a sea view then you will have to, however, note that the pool closest to the club on the non club side is the activity pool which can resemble a toddlers sand pit with beer! Also if you get a swim up you need to work out the best for the sun as a lot of them seemed in the shade...also a little cellular for my liking you probably would not stray from your room much...but if that what you want then ideal for you!

If there was one disappointment this would be it. The pool nearest the ocean is full of the young doing what they do best and the not so young who should know better! Not a deal breaker though as the pool further back towards the spa is beautiful with a good bar service though I did missed the sea views. (OK you guest it I'm 47 and like the quiet life, and a lecturer by trade so I'm trying to get away for the kids not spend my holiday with them!)

If I can give you a comparison as this is my 4th trip to Cancun (luv it!) and I've previously stayed in Le blanc and the Sun Palace. Things that were different, I would not call this a boutique style hotel so if this is what you’re looking for this might not fit your bill as it's a bit more traditional in its style, sea view: only if you book a club room. Infinity pool: missed that. And the local village is small with not a lot available if you like to escape every now and then so the hotel strip again might be more what you’re looking for.

But other than that cannot sing this hotels praises enough, if you've booked I am sooooooooo jealous and I can offer to carry your bags. If not, don't hesitate you will have a fab time. Would I go back? Yes/No. But only because I think it's never as good the second time round though I would go to another palace resort in a heart beat... but then... may be come back here again after a few years time. There are loads of returning guests however and I can understand why.

My last comment is to the management your staff are your biggest asset they are the gem in your crown.

Room Tip: any of the spa blocks I thought 3 was the best place as its central so good view through the resort.
3  Thank Sherran M
Write a ReviewReviews (12,828)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our first experience in Mexico. What a great resort. Miguel in the Blue pool bar, Benjemin in Chez Isabelle, Aaron in the Lobster House and David on the beach area just a few of the staff that made our stay memorable. My only criticism is that we did not receive our requeated 3:15am wake up call on April 29, could have been a problem if we had missed our flight.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Mumchum
Reviewed 30 April 2014

First, let me start off that I am a pretty well seasoned traveler, (Four Seasons and The W). We came here after friends picked it out and I was a little skeptical based on some of the reviews. Overall, it was a great vacation. The place was at full capacity, and we were in building six. Never once was there a problem to get a chair or a place to sit whether you came out. In fact, I would normally see tons of seating everywhere. For the food, we ate at the Lobster house, the steak house, the french place and Spice (sushi?). Overall, I don't expect the quality that I get at home, however, I didn't leave any place unsatisfied. So all in all the food with as great. I mean, come on, you can't compare a Mortons to an all inclusive place in mexico. The bars were great and we found a lot of the works remembered our orders without a problem. We didn't upgrade to club level and I think I was totally fine with this, in fact I didn't even miss it. Overall it was a great vacation with great friends and I had nothing to complain about other than I wish I was still there. One thing to note, these people work very hard for you and it was super disheartening to see demanding people asking for their drinks and not tipping. Tipping goes a long way.

Room Tip: I like building 6.
9  Thank SuzeSF2012
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This has to be one of the best All Inclusive Hotels we have stayed in. From Staff to Food to Cleanliness. All write ups are only opinions but the majority of write ups on this Hotel give it the rating it deserves, so just go and enjoy it. There are restaurants and food to satisfy all tastes, even if you are picky about food. The service around the pool and in the bars at night was first class, just treat the waiters with respect and they will respond accordingly. A couple of small points that were of no consequence to other residents, one of the reasons we chose the Hotel was the smart dress code they advertised, but felt a bit disappointed when we went down to dinner, Most guests had made the effort, but the ones who did not, were still allowed in the restaurants and bars after 6 pm. We accept that we are all on holiday and its warmer, but flip flops, cargo shorts and tee shirts for dinner, sorry, we found it totally unacceptable.
The other point was that because we were having a fabulous holiday, I took the time to write a letter to the General Manager congratulating him and the Staff for making the holiday special but he did not have the manners to respond . Just a small point and if I had not written it would not have cropped up. Apart from the couple of small gripes, which were maybe self inflicted and we were probably expecting too much it was a fabulous week and we will be returning next year

We Remain Yours Respectfully

Alan & Jean Harrogate UK

8  Thank jeanandalan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Never had the urge to do Mexico because it wasn't an island but our travel agent recommended this resort because of repeat business she sent there often. We were there March 16th to 24th and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by Mexico, the airport was quite modern but very busy , the transfer pick up area was a zoo and not laid out very well but the vehicles being used were all new and in great condition.
Check in was easy but had to wait a couple of hours for room to be ready , after a 2 hour wait the nice lady at the front desk just changed our room to one that was available which was great since it is more expensive to get early flight out and late flight back which we had and the resort was great about giving us late check out till 4 since our pick up wasn't till 6, thanx again for that,
This resort was a nice size and very well taken care of , we seen maintenance being taken care of constantly while we were there which is nice to see. The staff was incredible, very friendly and helpful but very professional too. We had a swim out room which was convenient and relaxing, the maid service was outstanding and the guy that filled our fridge was constantly concerned with our needs and after the first day knew what we liked in the fridge. The room was great but the bed could use and update , really hard. The room service was also great, always arrived within 20 minutes and was hot.
The buffet and the themed restaurants were all great, we really enjoyed the Japanese and on my birthday a little cake was brought with a candle on it to our room and when we returned to the room later it was decorated with balloons and streamers which was nice. On my birthday we walked down to Puerto Morelos which was an hour walk not 20 minutes as we were told so make sure you bring water and sandals, it was a really nice little town with great shops and great people. No pushy sales people here just really nice locals who were very helpful. We also went to the silver store a couple times which was great, they had private shuttles running to all the resorts, the staff there we really enjoyed and we spent alot there but got some really good deals.
All in all this was a great experience, floating in the pool outside our room, sleepin on the beach in the morning, enjoying the Mexican people. We will be back soon to enjoy the Mexican atmosphere and their people...........Thanx for a great stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Seppstravels
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This holiday had everything for a couple, 5 star all the way. Food was excellent wherever we ate although don't expect too much spice in the Mexican restaurant (the Americans don't like it) facilities and our room were top notch and nice to go all inclusive where expense wasn't spared. Find the extra money and book to go here

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank John W
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a very lovely hotel. The room, staff, food and property were all excellent. The drink selections were superb. I traveled with friends for a wedding and had a lovely time at this resort. The beach isn't the best at this time, as there was quite a bit of seaweed while we were there - but still very nice. The pool area was a lot of fun. It would be great if restaurant staff to accommodate large groups for dinner.

Unfortunately, we did not love the housekeeping service as much as the other aspects of the hotel. For one, the rooms are cleaned quite late - so imagine our horror as we rushed back to the room to get ready for my friend's wedding and the room wasn't clean - well after 2pm and we had been gone since breakfast. I also had a bad experience one night with housekeeping leaving trash near my suitcase, which was pretty upsetting, but decided not to let it affect the rest of my stay.

Overall, a great hotel and despite it all, I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!