“Perfect vacation!! Great gluten free/dairy free menu options!”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I traveled to this resort at the end of May. We have been to the Excellence in the Dominican and wanted to try another destination. This place was amazing and better than the Dominican in my opinion. The staff are very friendly and the service is amazing. It is about 25 min from the airport and close to other attractions (we walked down the beach to Wet Set Diving for snorkeling). The rooms are very clean as well and the bed was very comfortable. The beach was very nice as well as the pool. It was hard to decide which to sit at for that day! There are plenty of towels and floats for the pool. We had a waiter, at the pool and beach, all day come around and take our drink order so we didn't have to walk to the main bar area for a drink. I really liked how each set of chairs (for the most part) had a little hut for shade because the sun is very strong. The food was great as well. I eat a gluten free and dairy free diet and I had plenty of options to choose from! Neither my husband nor I got sick once during our stay. Our favorite restaurant was Agave, the food was AMAZING! Make sure you get the Playa Blanca drink too, it's delicious!! We went to the gym a few days. I was very impressed. It had everything we needed. I was surprised to see a smith machine, full weight set, leg press and a variety of other machines you would see at a gym in the states. I enjoyed the live music at night and the shows were entertaining. Overall, this was a great experience. We will definitely continue to go to the Excellence resorts as we have been very impressed with both the locations we have been to!!

13  Thank Laura P
There are newer reviews for Excellence Riviera Cancun

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our 2nd year at this wonderful hotel complex, we couldn't fault a thing, from the lovely friendly staff always there with a ready smile and eager to make your holiday stay an absolute joy.
The food in every restaurant was superb,( apart from spice,but that may be down to me and my taste,my husband loved it) drinks were very good all premium brands,but did notice a couple of cut backs, last year we were getting Grey goose vodka in the bars , a sign of top quality, but sadly missing this year,we did notice it was available to Excellence club members ! Also in our room this year we were missing a bottle of Gin,again possibly another cut back, (hopefully not a trend) ! Entertainment was very good during the day average on the evenings,. Just a last word concerning the mosquito problem,myself and many other guests were bitten quite badly,when we stayed at the Eldorado Royal three years ago they would light smoke bombs around the complex at regular intervals,resulting in bite free holidaymakers,(hopefully this may be picked up on for guests comfort) we are going back again next year as we feel the Excellence is still the best place to be totally spoilt .

Room Tip: Blocks 1and2 near to pools and restaurant,s ,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Janice_942
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 10 nights in May 2014. This is our 6th time to the Cancun area having previously stayed at the following:

Aventura Spa Palace
ME by Melia twice
Live Aqua

We had a fantastic time at this resort and we both agree that Excellence is as good or better than our prior visits to the area. We stayed in the basic 3rd floor Spa/Pool view room and it was great. We were not offered any upgrades and that was fine with us. The room has maid service twice a day. From prior reviews about the firm beds we requested a mattress topper prior to arrival. It was not on the first night and we quickly realized we needed it. One call and it was handled. Also, regarding the beds, there is a pillow menu located in the same folder as the room service menu. Use it! These are long (body type) with several options. Between the mattress topper and new pillows we were happy.

There are three areas that really set this resort apart:

First, are the pools. They wind through the entire resort so it seems that one out of four rooms is a swim up room. If you want a very, very quite day by the pool there are limitless choices.

Second, is the entertainment and activities staff. If you have been on a cruise ship this is as close to cruising as you can get. They are very visible, day and night, with many events to participate in if you want.

Third, is the whole evening/nighttime atmosphere. I was not excited about the slacks in the restaurants policy for guys but it made for a classy evening atmosphere. I did notice they seemed to be a little more lax at the outdoor restaurants. So I got by with dress shorts, Tommy Bahama type shirt and topsiders a couple of nights at the Lobster House and Mexican. However, they are very clear about the policy and you are reminded daily in the newsletter. One other note about the restaurants. You only need reservations at the teppanyaki rooms of the Japanese restaurant. This is very popular and reservation are taken same day only starting at 5:30pm when they open. Be there at 5:30...they fill the allotment quickly. They do start "the shows" around 6:00 but you can always make a later reservation and have plenty of time to go back to the room and get ready.
We ate at all except the Indian restaurant and had great dinners at them all.
There is live music throughout the day and night including breakfast....very nice touch.
The main theater with live music and the nightly 9:30 shows is the best we have been to.

We did not use the spa. Instead we found on Tripadvisor a near by (200 peso taxi ride) massage place called Jungle Spa. We went twice. We have massages a couple of times a month at home and this is very different. Look it up on this site if you want to try something very different. Prices are very reasonable...$60 for 1.5 hours.

You have got to laugh at the many comments about the seaweed on the beach. The beach was awesome and is continually maintained throughout the day! Enough said.

We did take a lot of $1's, $5's and $10's for tipping maid service, bar service and restaurant waiters. They deserve it but the service would have been the same regardless.

We typically do not repeat resorts since there are so many great ones in this area. However, there is another Excellence resort in the Cancun area and we will plan on going.

Let me know if you have any questions.

11  Thank arizona100
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Fourth visit to Excellence. First visit to Rivera Maya location. First time booking flight and travel with Excellence Resort. Regret it already. It is a nightmare. I have spent hours trying to pay for our luggage and no one will help me at Excellence or the travel site that Excellence refers me to. I will now have to pay $100 per suitcase when I get to the airport. I can only hope and pray the non-existent customer service that I have experienced thus far is not a prelude to what our group of 12 can expect when we get to Rivera Maya. Bottom line: Do not book travel package with Excellence as the few dollars you believe you are saving pale in comparison to the time, cost and trouble of dealing with the mess they create in the booking process.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank hannalaw
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

We are looking forward to welcome you and to provide you the memorable and relaxing experience you deserve.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here in may for two weeks for our honeymoon it was a fab place food and service was great room was lovely we had a swim out suite in block 6 can't recommend this place enough
would defo return.

Paul.

Room Tip: Block 4 5 6 are the quietest .
4  Thank Pablo1234505
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We are enjoying our last day of a 2 week honeymoon here at the excellence. We have had a thoroughly amazing time, with only a few gripes.
From the moment you arrive you are greeted with champagne and taken to your room. We opted for a swim up suite and we are very glad we did. You have a small patio type area with a jacuzzi on it, a hammock, 2 sun loungers, and then you are by the pool. This is a lazy river type pool although there is no current. We didn't use the hammock, and never saw anyone using them as they were quite uncomfortable. The sea view apartments have better hammocks and bed type loungers although I personally would avoid the sea view ones as you are more overlooked by everyone using the main pool, and there is music played. So if you prefer it a little quieter defiantly the swim ups. Don't go for club excellence, I can't see that you get anything really worth the extra. You will get served drinks and food on the beach as standard, and there always seemed to be sun beds.
The rooms are well equipped, and the free mini bar is stocked every day. The bed is slightly on the hard side, but didn't cause us too many issues.
There are 10 different restaurants at the hotel, and when it comes to food this is where the hotel let itself down and could be improved. I would give the restaurants mixed reviews from amazing, to poor. The French restaurant chez Isabelle and the Mediterranean restaurant Barcelona were by far the best restaurants, fantastic service and excellent quality of food. However some of the other restaurants such as the grill, the pizzeria, and the Mexican left much to be desired. Poor quality of food and the Mexican gave me the worst stomach cramps ever. So all in all, you can have some excellent food, but really let down by others here. The breakfasts at the buffet are immense, anything you could ever possibly want, and the omelettes cooked in front of you are very tasty.
Everyone at the hotel were very friendly and couldn't do more for you if they tried. The beach is great, and there is free windsurfing, sailing, and canoeing anytime you like.
I struggled to find any drink or spirit that the bars didn't have, and we thoroughly enjoyed them. The juice/smoothie bar was also excellent.
All in all, a great stay. Would I come back? I would probably look to see whether the food at other 5star all inclusives were more consistent first, but yes I would love to come back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Chris K
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Breath taking, this place is amazing. The food, the beach, the pools,the people, international drinks, room service 24/7. the name saids it all Excellence. This resort is amazing. This is the seventh resort I've been to and it is the best. Samdra at the reception desk was so wonderful and helpful. The only thing I would like to see more of it is music at the pools.

• Stayed: May 2014
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!