“4.7 Experience”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Boulder, Colorado
“4.7 Experience”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed seven nights at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in the beginning of June and really liked it. About 7 months ago we stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres, so we can compare the two resorts. We’ll try not to repeat information that you can find in other reviews.

Location
ERC is south of Cancun, about a 20 minute drive from the airport. The road from the highway to the resort has been repaved, and the ride was smooth. We always use USA Transfers to get from the airport to the resort and find this company very reliable.

The service at ERC is excellent and we showed our gratitude by tipping, although we never felt that we had to tip in order to get good service.

Rooms
We stayed in building 2 on the second floor in a Junior Suite. The rooms are nice, but not as nice as EPM rooms. However, the main difference is that in ERC there is much more privacy when using the bathroom or the shower, compared to the open design at EPM.

Restaurants
Most of the restaurants are spacious and very nicely designed. There is no need for reservations, and if you go before 7:00pm there will be no waiting line. We especially liked the breakfast and lunch buffets at Barcelona. We also liked Chez Isabelle (French), Basmati (Indian) and Spice (Oriental)

Beach and Swimming Pools
The beach is very close to the pools. We spent most of the time by the beach and never had any problem finding chairs under umbrellas. This resort is not as isolated as EPM so there is a continuous flow of peddlers selling hats, cigars, scarves and tours.

Shows
The shows are very similar to the ones at EPM. We especially liked the Michael Jackson show, and the Urban show. The open theater is leveled, so come early if you want good seats.

All in all, our rating for Excellence Riviera Cancun is 4.7 out of 5.

6 Thank The-Experts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,701)
  • Korean first
Kent, U.K.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was our 3rd visit to the Excellence, as our motto is if it is not broken don't fix it, and it does not need fixing!
This review is our own personal one and may not be the views of other reviewers.
Our first thing of note was since our last holiday in October 2013 the road up to the hotel has been upgraded and no having to avoid the potholes, which took some of the excitement away but great to arrive without being bounced about!
We had requested a quiet room, high up and with a double bed when we booked our holiday, and were not disappointed when the gave us a room on the 2nd floor of Spa block 3, which had a king size bed. The view was of the spa and part of the swimming pool. It was quiet, apart from one night when some noisy neighbours came back to their rooms.
The room was very clean, well decorated and maintained. We had a light bulb go and kept forgetting to report it but when we came back from the beach one afternoon it had been changed, we thought that showed that rooms are checked quite regularly for things like that. Also, the coffee pot was cracked and another one was supplied. Did not find the bed too hard, and the pillows were fine for us.
The food, we felt,was even better this year, we did not have to wait for tables as we like to eat quite early, that way you avoid the rush. We did have to wait one night as we were a bit later, due to a certain football match, but no worries just went to the Martini bar and had a cocktail or two! Our favourite restaurants were the Asian, Chez Isabelle, Basmati, Lobster House and Steak House, we did not go to the Barcelona or Oregano. We tried the Agave once, food was good but service quite slow,! We had room service on our first night, which came quite quickly, which was good as we were very tired. Breakfast was always excellent, and would like to thank Isac (Isaac) and Eli for the service they gave us, we like to eat outside if at all possible for breakfast, sometimes you have to ask for this as it is not always offered.
We spent most of our time on the beach, as do not want to be around the busy pools. The seaweed is much improved from last year, not sure how, yes there is still seaweed but does not appear to be as much as previous years. One little niggle Excellence the sun loungers on the beach really have seen better days, they are getting saggy, torn and generally tatty, can we have some new ones please?
We had great service on the beach, and even had club sandwiches delivered to our sun loungers, and the waiting time was minimal compared to previous years, we did use the La Olas but only when it was burger or hot dog days. Thank you to Veronica and Carmel for their service.
The gardens are still lovely, and enjoy looking at all the bright plants and wish our garden looked like it, the gardeners work really hard.
We found most employees would say hello or good morning, whoever they were, just smile.
Our holiday was slightly marred by the 1 star clients in a 5 star establishment, get some manners, learn to hold your drink, and follow the few rules that the Excellence ask.
Are we going again, yes we are, all being well June 2015.
We feel the word excellent has been over used, so we thought these might help, perfect, super, stupendous.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, go for Spa Blocks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Go for high up so that you do not get so...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank mickolube
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We were at Excellence for our Honeymoon June 9th to 17th. We stayed in the Excellence club and absolutely think it was worth the extra money. The excellence club lounge was perfect with small bites available throughout the day. The excellence pool and bar were also top notch. The service was perfect. We never had to wait for a drink. They also bring small drinks to try and food throughout the day.
Our room was beautiful, with an ocean front and main pool view. My husband and I did not think the bed or the pillows were uncomfortable, but we also like a firmer mattress. There is a pillow menu available if you stay in the Excellence club.
The grounds at the resort are beautiful and clean. The beach is clean for the most part. The ocean is clear blue but has a lot of sea grass and seaweed. Unfortunately, due to this we stayed at the pool most of the time. The resort sits near a reef, so there is not anything they can do about this.
The food was decent and why I gave this resort a 4/5. My husband and I did not starve by any means, but we were not impressed by any of our dinners. Breakfast at Barcelona (the buffet) was mediocre at best and our food was cold. Breakfast at the lobster house was always very good. Almost everyday we were there they had a themed lunch on the beach and it was always very good. The pizzas at The Sol bar by the main pool were also great! Dinner was another story. The sushi at Spice was the worse sushi we had ever eaten and the pad thai tasted like it was made from a box. We were also disappointed with our lobster at the lobster house. It was overcooked and also cold. I'm not going to review all of our dinners but suffice it to say if we had not eaten breakfast or lunch on the beach we would have been very hungry. The Mexican themed dinner night was very good. We also ordered room service a few times and never had any problems.
I went to the spa 3 times and each time it was absolutely wonderful!!! I received one of the best massages ever while here. If you get sunburned, I highly recommend the aqua wellness wrap! The hydrotherapy was very relaxing and I'm so glad we did it again the morning we left.
The staff is truly exceptional! They are very friendly and do their best to honor any special requests.
All in all we had a wonderful Honeymoon and are already planning on when we will be going back.

5 Thank CristleL
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We just got back from Excellence Riviera on Tuesday. Let me start by saying we had a great time and are not too picky but like to get what we pay for. In my opinion its probably closer to a 4star resort but since you can't give half stars I'm going with 3. We are a married couple in our late 20s, early 30s. Our flight into Cancun was delayed a few hours so we didn't arrive at the Excellence until around 9 pm. Upon arrival we were told the only swim up room room they had left was one with 2 queen beds. I was not happy and repeatedly asked if there was anything else they could do since we are a married couple and requested a king. The only thing they offered to do was move us to a King room after two nights. I was not happy but agreed as we had no other choice. We have a queen bed at home so you might think its not a big deal but both beds were against the wall on either side so whoever slept against the wall had to climb over the other to get out of bed. We did have a few problems with the first room (thermostat stuck, toilet handle broke) which were corrected promptly when we notified them. Since we got there late the first night we didn't have time to get ready for one of the nice restaurants so we went to Oregano which has an outdoor casual section. We got a pizza and lasagna to share, the pizza was quite good but the lasagna was hard as a rock and tasted like it was sitting out all day. The flavor wasn't bad, but it was crusty and not fresh at all. Now getting back to the room, we had a spa view swim up, its probably the nicest room I ever stayed in. Aside from the bed snafu I have no complaints about the room. It was nice being able to open the sliding door and have private lounge chairs and you can jump right in the pool for a quick dip. Two things i will say though is that there should be some kind of ladder or steps to get in/out of the pool near the swim ups. Im athletic so it wasn't too bad to jump in and climb out but my wife is only 5ft and had a harder time. There were steps on the other side so if you wanted to get in from your room area without climbing you'd have to walk all around and over the bridge to the steps. My biggest complaint of the week is probably the maid service. It was very inconsistent, one day they wouldn't come until 4pm then the next 10am then another day i had to call to get them to come make up my room. (Same for the mini-bar). I don't blame the workers cause they worked very hard and were always friendly, it might be more of a staffing/management problem. We did the Romantic dinner on the beach one night, it was $200. Not worth it in my opinion but was very nice and more for the atmosphere. We were supposed to have our room decorated as part of the dinner package upon returning from dinner but that never happened. I didn't say anything just cause I hate complaining and did enough of it with the room situation but I was disappointed. Overall the food was good. My favorite dinner was at the French restaurant. The Filet mignon was delicious. Getting back to the pool we usually hung out by the main pool area after breakfast until lunch then we would go relax by our swim up room area. The main pool could use a little music, it was kind of boring. Not that I'm looking for a party but a little music would have been nice. And the swim up bar needs more than one bartender, on a few occasions i'd be waiting well over 5 mins for a drink and would just give up get out of the pool and walk to the pool bar outside the pool. Overall we had a nice relaxing vacation but for the price i don't think it was worth it. I've stayed in RIU's for half the price that were just as good. Next time I think we are going to try a Secrets. And on a side note we used Cancuntransfers for transporation to and from the airport and they were great. Private car and was $72 roundtrip. We also took an excursion to the Rio Secreto caves and it was amazing. The only drawback is it took up a full day and a lot of it was traveling.

Room Tip: Request a King bed when booking
9 Thank Nycvinny
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for having chosen Excellence Riviera Cancun as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed in the beginning of June 2014 and loved it! This was our first time at the Excellance but third time in MX.. I was alittle nervous after reading the reviews before we left but i was happily surprised. The food and drinks were wonderful and the best out of the last two resorts we have stayed at. The staff in the resturants were great as well. The room was beautiful with a king size bed (some others had written that there was no king size beds) . The only complaint i have is the bar staff they were not friendly AT ALL!!! Except for Luis at the Martini Bar..he was exceptional...The other thing i think they could do is have a night when they bring in local vendors to sell items that was done at the last resort we stayed and it was GREAT you could get your stuff and then just put it in the room which was nice.. Overall thought it was Excellent fun people with a mix of countries and ages..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tahoet65
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband took me to my first All Inclusive - ALL ADULT resort in May. I didn't have any preconceived notions of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised!

First impression accelerated my delight. Gated resort, with plush landscaping and a beautiful entrance. Walking into the main lobby, we were greeted with a glass of champagne and check in was a breeze. The gentleman taking us to our room with our luggage also served as a tour guide so we quickly knew where to find everything.

We requested the Spa view in Bldg. 6 thanks to the helpful reviews on Trip Advisor. The lazy river pool was our view from our large balcony. Our room was comfortable, tastefully decorated, and I loved the dining area where we had wonderful room service breakfast set up. I got a little (okay a lot) spoiled on the bar set up. Premium bottles of vodka, rum and tequila, lovely Mexican glassware and a mini refrigerator stocked with all the set ups, including candy, snacks and Mexican beer. I missed having limes but could have requested them I'm sure. One reviewer suggested bringing scented candles to hide the musty odor. Although not extremely strong, it was noticeable so I'm glad I brought nice candles.

The French restaurant was our favorite and Barcelona for breakfast awesome. There really was a lot to do and see, and I enjoyed the flora, fauna, fountains and Mayan art throughout the resort. Now having had the experience of this type of vacation, I am ready to go to one again. Any suggestions, fellow travelers??

Room Tip: The Excellence Club level looked very inviting from a distance (exclusive to club guests) and I love...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SusannahBanana
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My boyfriend and I visited this resort for 7 days ,May 24-May 31, 2014, for my college graduation trip. We are in our early twenties, so we wanted to visit a luxurious resort, but we also wanted to have a good time. The Excellence suited us perfectly. This trip was amazing. We were never bored, and were quite depressed when it was time to leave. We couldn't have been more pleased with the resort.

Food:
The service at all restaurants wad unbelievable. We were basically waited on hand and foot for the entire trip wherever we went. Some nights we would go to more than one restaurant.
Lobster house- Amazing lobster and seafood bisque. My boyfriend asked if he could order two lobsters one night, and they actually brought him three!
French restaurant (Chez Isabella)- Best desserts! Romantic atmosphere
Spice- Loved the sushi, but always very packed.
Room service- AMAZING! Try the cheesecake!
Arabian night- Food was terrible
Barcelona Buffet: Couldn't be any better. Breakfast was unbelievable.

Beach:
Plenty of Cabanas and chairs. We never really saw any seaweed on the sand because it was kept clean by the resort, but the water was full of it, so not the clearest water.

Pools:
Awesome pools! We hung out at the swim up bar a lot. This was kind of the party area during the day. Whenever we wanted more privacy and quiet, we would swim in the pool by our room, which was always extremely quiet and we hardly ever saw anyone else in this area. Plenty of quiet pools for those wanting to relax.

Room:
We had a swim-up suite. This room was perfect. We actually didn't use the pool near our room very much, but it was very nice to be on the first floor and not having to take the stairs. We tried to upgrade to the Excellence Club a few weeks before the trip and it was unavailable. We are very glad we didn't get to upgrade because the friends we met said that it was a waste of money and not very different from the regular rooms. This part of the resort for the excellence club was more quiet than the main pool area and would be great for couples wanting more privacy, but we were more into socializing and being near the activities.

Drinks:
The drinks were made very well and not watered down at all. Plenty of top-shelf choices. There was a bar around every corner of the resort and plenty of service if you walked to the bar. Very seldom did the waiters offer to bring us a drink at the pool or beach, but this did not really bother us.

Nightlife and Activities:
Nightlife could use some improvement. The shows were not great, but we really enjoyed the live music every night. The nightclub is a little disappointing. During the day, we participated in volleyball and really enjoyed it. One day we participated in what they call the Excellence Factor which is a couple's game which involves different competitions. My boyfriend and I won, and we received a free massage at the spa and free dinner on the beach. Dinner on the beach was probably the highlight of the trip. Very romantic experience. We had our own harp player for part of the meal, and the food was even better than the restaurants, which was nearly impossible to beat. I highly recommend planning dinner on the beach for one night of your trip.

Overall, we highly recommend this resort and will be returning. Our next trip will be to the Excellence for sure!

Room Tip: Swim-up suites were amazing! Excellence club is not worth the money. If your looking for a more quie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!