“Excellence, near perfection”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Brunswick, Georgia
“Excellence, near perfection”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I chose this resort for our 20th anniversary celebration based on its location, the fact that it's adults only, and the ability to get a swim-out suite. Our experience here was nearly perfect. We chose not to spend extra for Excellence Club. We were on site from June 13, 2014 to June 20, 2014. Our stay was nearly perfect and we expect to patronize the resort again in the future.
The property is large, with many pools, restaurants, and a large beach area. So, even though the resort was sold out, it didn't seem crowded to us. Only when we visited the main pool area did we realize how full the resort was. We were in building six and the pool at this building seemed to us to be the most peaceful one on the complex. It was beautiful with many shaded areas and also lots of sun areas. This pool offered plenty for everyone. Though it was peaceful, we were still visited by a member of the staff offering drinks every 10 to 15 minutes. We are beach people but stayed by this pool most of our stay. It was so nice. The only downside to this pool is that there weren't enough rafts for everyone who wanted one. I will admit that this was only a minor drawback.
The beach area was large and offered enough places to lay out that we always found a spot, no matter what time we went. Obviously though, the earlier we went, the closer to the ocean we were. The drink service was also very good here on the few occasions we visited. There was lots of grass in the ocean but the resorts seemed to employ someone who would occasionally sift the shoreline to pick up accumulated grass on the beach. Also, the water at this part of Puerto Morelos isn’t as pretty as, say Isla Mujeres or Cozumel, but the beach is still awesome here.
We also found the grounds visually pleasing. There were many areas where we could walk quietly by ourselves and enjoy the surroundings, watch iguanas or other scenery. We enjoyed the architecture and the décor of the common places. We also very much like the fact that the hotel rooms are not decorated in modern style. Our room was well apportioned, clean and well laid out. It featured a small living area, the bed area and a bathroom with a separate whirlpool, shower, and water closet. The double sinks were a nice touch. The swim-out suite featured a whirlpool on the back patio, a small loveseat and chair, a hammock and a sun-bed. The room really validated our earlier decision to only consider properties with swim-outs. We absolutely loved the room.
The mini-bar was well stocked and replenished every day. There were 2 Cokes, 2 Coke Lights, 2 orange Fantas, 4 waters, orange juice, mineral water, V8, and a few candy options. There were also 2 room temperature water bottles. One small issue was that our mini-bar fridge didn’t get as cold as I would have liked. The beer that was stocked was Corona and Corona Light. On the first day I called and requested a different brand as I don’t like Corona and the staff quickly responded to bring my preference.
I’ve read several reviews that mentioned that the food is bland. However, I did not find that to be the case. I was able to find food that I liked at every restaurant that we tried. Any and all requests for extra or reduced seasoning were cheerfully accommodated. Spice was easily the favorite for my wife and I. Only Mexican night fare was somewhat disappointing but we were able to get good Mexican food at Agave.
Service provided by the staff was overall excellent, with only rare exceptions. It seemed that the staff went above and beyond, very often, to make some aspect of our stay more enjoyable. We were very impressed with the overall service we received.
For our anniversary, we received a bottle of chilled champagne in our room upon checkout, a banner on our suite door proclaiming that we were celebrating our anniversary and a coupon for a special dinner for one of our dinners during our stay. We redeemed the coupon at Toscana, and it included a bottle of wine and a special menu for the occasion. These were very nice touches.
Overall, our stay was excellent, near perfection. Though I have ranked it 5 stars above, it would be more accurately reflected as ~4.8 due to some very insignificant issues that we had that I will not even mention in detail here. We would recommend this resort to people especially who are interested for a honeymoon, anniversary, birthday or other event. It is not a huge party atmosphere (though there was still fun to be had). It was more suited to a romantic holiday, which is what we were looking for.

Room Tip: Building six pool seemed to be the most peaceful on the property.
11 Thank James C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,701)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Excellence resort. It was definitely worth the upgrade to be in the "Excellence Club." The resort was quiet, which was exactly what we were hoping for. We went here for a second honeymoon (10 year anniversary) and left the kids with the grandparents. There were people to talk to if you wanted to, but most people were just happy to hang out with the group they came with. Most of the guests were couples, but there were a few groups of friends/wedding parties. The beach was lovely, the pools were very nice. The service staff was very helpful, constantly offering to get food/drinks/towels/etc. We had a room with rooftop pool, which we loved! The evening entertainment was decent. Overall, I would rate the food as a B. The evening restaurants were very good, and the breakfast and lunch options were pretty good. I would have loved to see some additional options for desserts and snacks. We will definitely return. We also went to the spa, which was a pleasant experience. In sum, if you want a quiet, adults-only, all-inclusive resort, this is an excellent choice, and you should spring for the excellence club.

Room Tip: Choose ocean-view excellence club, it's worth it
6 Thank Ohiogirl00
Brighton, UK
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Syayed at ERC in mid May, after recommendations from previous visitors, wasn't disappointed. Food, drink choice and service were excellent. Basmati restaurant was our particular favourite, although Spice and Chez Isabelle were equally good. All the staff were fantastically welcoming. Room was very comfy. Gym was one of the best experienced on holiday. Comfortable Double beds around pools and beach make days a relaxing, luxurious experience, spent most days around the lazy river pool which was peaceful and quiet. Excellent quality shows in the evening were always entertaining. All in all a wonderful relaxing 2 weeks. Minor irritations were down to minority of rude US guests insulting staff and treating them as 2nd class citizens, complaining for the sake of complaining, eg a bar not stocking a brand of brandy and refusing to walk 80 ft to the bar that did stock it, and forcing waiters to get non menu items for them from other restaurants, that they could have gone to in the first place, luckily these cretins were easy enough to avoid so didn't spoil our enjoyment too much, just amazed us at the way some people behave!

Room Tip: Try all the restaurants and bars, enjoy the relaxing facilities, respect the staff!!
11 Thank BrightonBoxer
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This resort was absolutely wonderful. Every aspect… the food, the suite, the beach, the service, the pool, the grounds… was excellent! My favorite part of the resort is probably the grounds themselves. Every inch of the resort is perfectly manicured and designed. The landscaping is lush, green & blooming, beautifully well-kept and full of gregarious tropical birds & reptiles! The layout and architecture of the resort was planned with an artist’s eye. I walked by other nearby resorts (Now Sapphire, Dreams Riviera) & even from the beach I could tell that they just weren’t as well-manicured. The grounds at Excellence are wonderful because they manage to be both upscale and very Mexican-looking. I wanted to feel like I was in Mexico, not just any luxury hotel. The attention to detail at the resort is phenomenal, really seeming to anticipate guests’ needs (for example, having to-go coffee set up on the way out of the breakfast restaurant for those of us that want a second cup but also want to get on the beach right away). I also really felt that the employees were truly happy there. I was worried about going to a poor country and feeling like a spoiled, “rich” American, but the employees really seemed to like the visitors. Every single person we encountered was very nice and I even saw an instance where a guest left expensive sunglasses around & an employee literally ran after them. They all were working their butts off to give great service and we really appreciated it. The rooms themselves are large and beautifully designed. I’ve heard people complain about hard beds… I never slept better! Again, just like the resort itself, there is great attention to detail in the rooms (for example, a pull-out clothesline in the shower for wet bathing suits instead of having to drape them over furniture). As far as the food goes, I found every meal to be delicious, gourmet and exceeding my expectations. There are both ala carte and buffet options for breakfast & lunch and ala carte only for dinner. We particularly loved the buffets b/c I love to be able to sample a little bit of everything. I know a lot of people complain about buffets, but I thought the food at these particular buffets was delicious and high quality! Our favorite sit down restaurants were Spice, Chez Isabelle and Basmati; our least favorite surprisingly the Mexican restaurant Agave.
If there was one thing that I could change about this resort it is the room requesting. I called a week in advance to verify that I had a King bed and a spa view (to ensure our room was in a quiet area). When we got there, we did not get a spa view and we were assigned a room with two double beds. They said these were “just requests” and not guarantees. After a long day of travel, the last thing you want to hear is that you’re not getting what you asked for. I felt that I went out of my way to place a special phone call & it was just disregarded. I’m not even certain why they have that many 2-bed suites anyway, since it is an adult’s only resort. Anyway, it turned out that the bed was plenty big (I’m almost positive they were queens, not doubles) and the building we got was plenty quiet. The room requesting seems to be a common complaint from others & so I think they should either stop taking requests or they should do a better job at trying to accommodate requests. Regardless, I absolutely loved our room, 2 beds and all!

8 Thank katsunderthestars
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I am not one to rip on anything or anyone unless it's really necessary...let me preface this entry with my experience of having stayed at Excellence resorts 5x, this being our first to the Riviera Maya location. We all realize that sometimes things just don't work out- but for thousands of dollars, it's very tough to swallow.

Outside of the mishaps, which I will get to, what happened to the excellent service- more aptly stated, where were all the waitstaff??? It's like they've cut the number of employees by 50%.
Everyone had to continually get their own drinks around the pool areas- and this was not the case, even last year's trip and service was better. The workers are pleasant enough- great smiles and very helpful, but just not enough of them to adequately serve all of the people at a sold out resort.
Dining was a long wait as there were not enough people to handle them. There's almost always a wait for a table and you'll look out there in the dining room and see empty tables- it just made no sense to many of the customers. After ordering, the wait for entrees was sometimes painfully long what I can only guess from experience that there must be a lack of cooks, etc. in the kitchen- this is what I surmise as people were getting quite antsy having sat for over an hour waiting for their entrees.

Restaurants
Breakfast- it was good- not great (maybe I am reaching here, but it was just OK)
Eating at the pool restaurant offers a great view and the food is good. The buffet (which I usually avoid) was good quality.
Lunch at beach was generally very good- they need to have more of the fare which offers simple tacos, ceviche, etc. and omit the hotdogs and burgers. Those you can get at the lunch restaurant.
Dinner was not what it used to be.
Our favorite for years was the Mexican cuisine Agave restaurant and it was not good at all. (price example of having to wait for a table in a non-busy restaurant- ugghh)
The french restaurant was great- we ordered a $135 bottle of wine and it paired wonderfully with our apps & entrees.
The Asian restaurant was better than expected- we ordered a bunch of noodle and rice dishes and we were satiated and happy.
The Italian restaurant...one night it was fantastic (bolognese was fantastic). The last night we dined was very different as there was a very long wait for customers in the restaurant. Having ordered a $100 bottle of wine, you would expect to be able to eat the food- but it was soooo salty we could not (lasagne and a cream based linguine dish)

Note: My wife and I both had almost 2 days of cramping and diarrhea (sorry to be graphic)...I cannot believe that I am just finishing up that bout of pain, cramping, etc. Holy smokes.
In general the food is way over salted which is never a good sign. Looking back and knowing that both I and my wife were ill...it makes me wonder what knocked us for a loop for 2 days.

Miele Spa
We went to the yoga class at the actual spa (it's not a beginner course by the way) and it was simply awesome. The teacher (yogi) was fantastic and thorough and we felt great after every class. He will really push you to push yourself and it was a great morning (10:30am).
The water therapy and massages were great too- highlighting the trip was the Miele Spa.

Last and not least...our toilet, which was increasingly acting up just out of the blue, flooded our room. This can happen- but on vacation???
The first management solution was for us to shower and use a bathroom in another room!!! They wanted us to remain in the room but walk out and down the halls to go to the bathroom or shower. Unreal. My wife was in a state of shock at this ridiculous notion. I called back and stated that this was not acceptable and after waiting for quite some time (on our last night there) a manager, who was great, helped solve the situation. But we had to remain in the same stinky room. I just thanked him, didn't complain and we finally got to dinner around 9:45pm...on our last night of vacation.

I did not go complain about the illness or toilet outside of getting the toilet fixed of course- what would I gain by doing so? I'm just not one to yell at someone when I wanted to. Someone asked me this morning if our trip was great- and I was kind of stunned and didn't know how to answer him without sounding like a complainer- know what I mean?

So, in essence, was it the Riviera Maya location? The experiences we've had with previous Excellence hotels were all at the Playa Mujeres location and they were far better...you tell me.

Room Tip: We generally get the swim up room. We've had the fancier up top rooms with a view, but when you...
11 Thank KBSantaMonica
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.

All our Excellence Resorts are designed with a different personality, but always with the same high standards. We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

We are very much concerned by your review since at Excellence Riviera Cancun we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal. Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Please receive our warmest greetings from Cancun.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed for a week at this resort, and did not want to leave at the end! We were in room 6019, which was a junior swim-up suite. During the day this was a quiet location, with a separate pool from either the main pool or the spa pool. We enjoyed this as it felt almost like having a private pool to ourselves. The down sides to this were that drinks service was a little slow, and the most direct route to the beach was via the Excellence Club area, so you had to walk around a fair way to avoid this area. We could also hear quite a lot of the evening entertainment, and people walking past our room, as the soundproofing to the hallway was non-existent. However, this didn't disturb our sleep particularly, and if you had a bit more stamina than we do, you probably won't be in your room when the entertainment is going on.

The room itself was very spacious, although we were slightly disappointed that our request for a king bed (rather than two queens) hadn't been enacted upon. Again, this wasn't enough to dampen our enjoyment, and was more than made up for by the double sunbed on our swim up terrace. The most comfortable thing, ever! The in-room mini bar was great, including branded beer, soft drinks and snacks. There was also wine and full bottles of Smirnoff and Jose Cuervo to keep you going between cocktails. We had an indoor and outdoor jacuzzi, both were fab. The loo didn't offer a great deal of privacy, though, so make sure you're staying with someone you're comfortable with!

In a week, we felt we didn't have time to try all the different food options, which meant we were never bored. The food was extremely high quality in all the restaurants - comparable to food in stand-alone restaurants. The only time we had to wait a little for dinner was for the French restaurant, and then the wait was less than 30min, and the food was totally worth it. The take away pizzas and beach grill were also really fun lunchtime options if you didn't want to leave your sunbed.

We took one excursion to Chichen Itza, and I would thoroughly recommend doing this. Our travel operator was Amstar, and they looked after us really well the whole time, so I would recommend them, as well.

We took pesos to pay for excursions and souvenirs, but everywhere took US dollars, so in future I'd take those instead.

The staff deserve a special mention - every single member of staff was friendly, courteous and approachable, which really made me feel relaxed and safe. The respectfulness of the staff would make me recommend this resort to women, particularly.

One little cautionary note - it is an adults only resort, and the rooms do have two freely available "adult" channels, which may be a bit of a surprise to guests with, erm, delicate sensibilities...just an FYI!

Also, don't worry too much about weather forecasts - every day we were there the forecast was for rain, cloud and thunderstorms (Tropical Storm Boris had been building just as we arrived) however we had nearly wall-to-wall sunshine: just some early morning rain on the first day, one cloudy day, and a couple of brief showers on our last day. If it does rain, there is a huge range of free activities to keep you occupied.

This is the 3rd all-inclusive resort we've been to, and it is the most luxurious of all of them. I'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Swim up suites are great, but if you want the most luxurious sunbeds on the beach, go Excellence Clu...
5 Thank DrAngharad
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

After going to Valentin Imperial Maya 2 years in a row, we decided to try another highly rated AI in the same area. Don't get me wrong, Valetin was awesome, just wanted to try a new place to compare.
Our Mexico traveling neighbors went for year 3 with us! Excellence is just 12 miles from the Airport and we were greeted with champagne and warm towels. Bags were were left at the entrance and check in was a breeze. They "Force" you to go to the Martini Bar at the foot of the stairs to wait on your Porter. No one in our group resisted!! Pages and pages of exotic and delicious drinks. Bartenders have done THIS before!
The Resort is much smaller than Valentine and we were put in a room next to the Excellence Club and ended up with, basically, a private pool. The rooms were a nice upgrade and AC will run you out of the room! 4 bottles of liquor, Corona / Coors Lite and others greeted us in our mini-bar. (As there are 9 bars on site, figured I would be accused of having a drinking problem if I started pounding in room liquor)
8 fantastic restaurants on site. We tried the Lobster House for Dinner first night. Waited an hour and it took an hour for the food to arrive. Lobster was good but the wait was too long. (Breakfast was slow as well) Bagged and went to the Barcelona for the rest of the trip for breakfast. It was AMAZING! Our waiter, Tomas, was exceptional !!! ( Hola, Tomas!) He greeted us every day and recommended restaurants to go to at night. We were only at the resort from Sunday until Friday, but tried most of the restaurants, for Dinner or Lunch. Basmati and Chez Isabelle were very pleasant surprises!
The beach is fabulous and there are plenty of beds and chairs to go around. (The beds are to die for and they have them at the pools, as well) Snorkeled on the reef in front of the resort for $30 each and saw a ton of fish and turtles. Awesome time at Excellence and will go back next year.

Positives over Valentin
- Closer to the Airport
- Smaller and more centrally located buildings and pools
- Junior Suites were more elegant
- The Martini Bar
- Disco was CRAZY
- Beds on the Beach
- The Home made ice cream
- Food was good at most places

Negatives over Valentin
- Staff friendliness (EVERYONE at Valentin greeted you with a sincere "Hola".) Other than Tomas and 1 or 2 guys at the Martini Bar, Staff not too concerned, even though we burned through a TON of $1 and $5 dollar bills, as tips.
- Food, overall, was better at Valentin.
- Night Life was basically shut down at 10PM because, understandably, rooms are too close to the Plaza. Our group are not Party Gorillas but if there is a fun band playing, we would stay up past 10. (Disco is only night life after 10 and is LOUD!) Imperial Band at Valentin RULES!
- Downtown souvenir shopping in Puerto Morelos doesn't hold a candle to 5th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen ($17 cab ride each way? Come on?)
- 1 main pool, which is miniscule compared to Valentin's, along with 2 swim up bars.

Will we go back? Think we may.

Note to self: Bring 30 SPF! Book Airport transfers with Cancun Vans and NOBODY else!!!

Room Tip: Like Valentin, the swim up suites are NOT swim up. There is a section of grass between the room and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!