“2nd stay at this hotel, met all of our expectations”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Kamloops, Canada
“2nd stay at this hotel, met all of our expectations”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence for a second year in a row because of the amazing visit the first time. This was our 8th year to Mexico and this hotel has met all of our expectations. Good food, excellent service, clean, etc. The staff are excellent, friendly, and always go above and beyond. Kudos to Benjamin (French Resturant), and Ramone and Gabriella (Buffett). Overall, the best all inclusive we have stayed at and would stay there again. Well worth the extra money for a fabulous holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carol M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,574)
  • Korean first
Essex
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is excellent , great food, great service, lovely people. Unfortunately it was spoilt by not having the correct facilities for a wheelchair bound person. Yes it has a disable pool which you have to go down a ramp to get into, but no pool wheelchair is provided so unless you can get out of your chair and walk down the ramp it's great. Also the walk in shower, no chair is provided, there is a ledge which you can sit on, but transferring onto this is like taking your life in your own hands, no hand rails to hold onto . This problem occurs in the toilet no hand rails. My husband is a paraplegic T6 so has no sensation from the chest down, this means no balance at all , so hand rails are a must plus a shower chair with arms. The hotel tried their best to accommodate us. But having a holiday without being able to get into the pool spoilt it for him. We tried to make the best of it, I did say to Juan that the hotel must tell travel agent that unless the disabled person can walk with sticks or crutches the hotel is not suitable. Such a shame as I would definitely recommend to friends but not my less able friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank LRandall1
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention.

At Excellence we are committed to provide services and facilities in consistency with the hotel high standards, a continuous supervision is held in all hotels areas to ensure our installations comply with this goal.

The rooms that are suitable for wheelchair use, are strategically located to facilitate access to the hotel services and main areas. Moreover, we are certainly proud to be part of those few resorts in the area providing a pool with ramp access even though it is not mandatory according to our local regulations.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Omaha
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I could save a lot of time and give you my complaints. NONE! Great property and wonderful staff and facilities. Super food and a variety of activities on the place. All of the employees....and I mean all of them, look you in the eye, smile and say "Hola!". You feel wanted there and it shows in the extra efforts the staff makes to serve you.

We stayed in bldg. 2 behind the Spa. Very quiet. Lazy river out the door. Perfect for mid day and you don't get the noise from the pool bar crowd. All the restaurants were great. And I'm an athlete and watch what I eat.....found great choices everywhere.

Hats off to Fernando at the Café Kafe bar. He's a hard worker. Kudos to Juan at the Grillhouse/Lobster House restaurant. Super server and attentive but not obtrusive. The activity director Isabella was all over the property and checking things to make sure the guests were engaged and happy.

The only smidge would be the water off the beach. Lots of seaweed and the sand keeps the snorkeling to a minimum. You really can't see much in terms of fish and sealife off shore. But the groundskeeper is sweeping the beach and keeping everything nice.

It's very close to the airport (20 min ride) and we will come back again. This is our 4th time in Cancun and the best property hands down!

Room Tip: ask for bldg. 1 or 2 with a higher level floor. It's behind the spa and quiet. Higher level floo...
7 Thank Arlog60
London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First of all, we had a superb holiday at the Excellence Riviera Cancun. The hotel was nice and the staff were superb, so attentive, friendly and welcoming, you literally couldn’t have asked for better service.

The hotel itself was nice. It’s not the nicest hotel I’ve ever stayed at but it is nice and very comfortable. Personally I think the rooms could do with a bit of a re-furb. I think ours was starting to look a little bit tired. We were in block 6 which was a pool view junior suite. The view was nothing to write home about, i.e. you wouldn’t have really sat on the balcony as there was nothing to see, not even a glimpse of sea but then that’s what you upgrade for I guess. The air con in our room was ludicrously noisy so most of the time we left it one whilst we were out or at dinner so we could turn it off once we went to bed so that it didn’t keep us up at night. The bed was comfortable and there was a choice of pillows so no complaints there. One massive downside was the door adjoining ours and the next room. The ones you use if you have two rooms as a family to give access. They let a LOT of noise through. We could hear everything our neighbours said…we could hear the guy snoring and we could hear their late night activities (I’ll leave that to your imagination). Not ideal. Turns out the room was empty for a few days which was a pleasant relief to be honest. The shower and bathroom etc is fine. Does what you need it to do although nothing fancy. I’d prefer a bathroom that is self-contained rather than simply part of the bedroom but that’s just my preference. The mini bar was frequently well stocked and the premium spirits was a nice addition to the room. We did find that our maid didn’t replace used glasses, they simply rinsed them which wasn’t at all satisfactory. Turn down service frequently came round at about 6:30 which quite frankly is ridiculous. We were always in our room getting ready for dinner at that time, so often missed it and had to turn them away.

Food was pretty good on the whole. Chez Isabel was easily our favourite, we went three times. Good food although small portions. I think they’re taking the French thing a little too far on portion size. The Basmati restaurant is a must. As Brits we bloody love a good curry and they equalled or bettered many that I’ve had here in London. Very good indeed. The Lobster house was good but you need to order more sides. The sides were a joke. I was rationed most of the time. If you order a steak anywhere in the hotel you will need to order rare to get anything near medium. They like to cremate them. The Mexican restaurant was a bit rubbish, which is odd considering the location. Spice was nice, we went there a couple of times. Explore them all if you get a chance but make sure you get to Chez Isabel as a priority. Lunch was always good at any of the restaurants and service was always with a smile. Breakfast at the buffet was always excellent – you couldn’t have possibly wanted for anything else. I ate my body weight each day…and it shows now. You won’t go hungry.

Entertainment was on the whole very good indeed. Michael Jackson, the circus and the urban show were all superb, I highly recommend them. Likewise all of the bars were very attentive and could make pretty much anything you asked for. The Martini bar made the best cocktails, especially the Gin Fizz.

We spent most of our time on the beach because it had a lovely sea breeze which kept you nice and cool. Yes there is sea weed but it’s the sea, I don’t know how people can possibly complain about it. There is a tractor going up and down the beach all day long clearing it up so it’s always clean and tidy. There was always space on the beach to get a sunbed and umbrella so no issues there. The pools….if you want peace and quiet go to the pool over by the spa. It had a lovely lazy river and was on the whole very peaceful and relaxed. You could generally always get a sunbed as well if you were there before 11am. People do save floats which is quite annoying though considering they use them only a handful of times in a day. The pool by the beach is particularly noisy. It was what we referred to as the ‘spring break’ pool. If you want peace then don’t go there. It’s where everyone spent the entire day in the pool drinking and socialising. That’s cool with me if that’s what you want to do but some of the Americans in particular are like fog horns. It’s like a competition in vocal volume. Oh god. Give me the beach any day (although you can still hear most of them from there). I didn’t see many of them actually leave the pool either, despite their drink intake…

If you like diving then I highly recommend you take the day trip to Cozumel, oh my it’s out of this world. I’ve dived all over the place and this is top three easily. Visibility is 60 metres and the water turquoise blue, it really is something to behold. You simply can’t explain experiences like that to a non diver. The marine life was superb and it was very well organised. I’d go back in a heartbeat. Personally I wouldn’t bother with the reef dive off of the shore. We did that as well and 90% of the boat was made up of people that have done 30 mins in the pool and were out on their first dive. It was carnage. You can’t see much as there is a strong current so a lot of sand etc being churned up, let alone all the fin and arm flapping going on. The wreck might be better as it’s in deeper water beyond the break, but I didn’t make it to that dive in favour of Cozumel.

Hope this helps.

18 Thank thealphabeta
First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've stayed at several all inclusive vacations but this resort had it all. Amazing food, great service, fantastic pools and bars, great entertainment and most importantly we felt special from start to finish.

Room Tip: Make sure to eat at basmati Indian restaurant, it's top notch, call before booking to ensure the...
10 Thank Edward C
Sutton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Well..we thought we could get through a New England Winter without booking a trip away...NOT!

Another tough winter put us OVER the edge. We needed to get away, and fast! So we decided to book a trip last minute. (3-4 weeks before) YEP! Pulled the trigger and got a good deal on a 6 day/5 night trip to the Mexican Riviera.

Club Excellence had some wonderful review and feedback. Needless to say, we were not disappointed! In fact, I will add to the excellent reviews!

It was amazing from first stepping foot out of the car (met with warm towels to wash hands/face), to our meetings and encounters with staff, and just everything else until we left for our return to the airport.

We enjoyed the beach the most! Of course, when you have been digging out of 3 feet of snow for months, it was a blessing! The pool went on forever. The spa was breathtaking. (Although we didn't take advantage of the services, we heard from our new friends how superb it was!)

We needed our time in the sun. And the weather was flawless. The beach beds and tiki huts were easily available for us. But we were there early.

The restaurants were clean and food was delicious.

The entertainment was well..entertaining! The dancers and the festivals were a wonderful time.

We met friends from the west coast there after a couple days, and made new ones as well! The vibe was one of good spirited people who just wanted to relax and have fun!

The funniest part of the trip was running into a high school friend I hadn't seen in 25 years! Only to find out he lives two minutes from my parents. Yet, we reunited in the hot tub at the resort a country away! Crazy right?!

The disco was fun, but not too many people took advantage of it. Or they just drank too much in the sun. Lol!

With all that being said, we had a fabulous time. We enjoyed all aspects. I wish I could say something negative so you don't think my review is biased. However, I "got nothin".

So here is my advice. Bring a great attitude and happy vibe on your trip. No one wants to go on vacation with a Debbie downer or a Carl complainer. Take time to invest in each other and enjoy all the life has to offer!

Club Excellence is the place where wonderful things happen!

All my best to you!!

Laurie

• Stayed March 2014
17 Thank jlcc2003
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a fantastic trip for our 5th wedding anniversary. This truly is a nice resort. There were a couple of items that kept me from giving it 5 stars. ***Please read to the bottom for the main issue***

Rooms --
Our room was very clean. Housekeeping did a wonderful job of keeping the room, and turning down at night. We found the room to be very comfortable. They offer a pillow menu, but we didn't take advantage of it. The bath room was great -- a soaking tub for two, and a nice rain shower. One of the better min bars we've come across as well.

Food --
This was what you would expect from a nice all inclusive. Not quite as consistent as we would've liked, but overall it was good. The buffet was average. Sometimes they had great tasting things, and other times, so-so--however, there were normally good things to eat in the buffet. The Asian, Indian (surprisingly), and the French were among our top choices. At a bit of a distance was the Italian, and the Pizzaria. Next would be the Grill, and the Lobster House. At the bottom, was the Mexican -- I couldn't believe how bad this place was. We thought maybe the ONE good restaurant would be one that had Mexican food. We come from an area with a lot of Hispanics with authentic Mexican restaurants, so we know this type of food well. Again, overall we enjoyed the food (the Mexican restaurant would be one of the reasons for not giving a 5)

Pool/Beach --
The beach is very beautiful with soft sand, and very walkable. HOWEVER, if you are looking for a place with beautiful **WATER**, then this is not the place. We've stayed at Barceló, and the water there is gorgeous. Also, we took a bike tour into Puerto Morelos, and the pier there has much prettier water than at the resort. We still enjoyed laying on the beach as we NEVER had a problem getting a palapa -- in fact one day, we enjoyed a shaded bed by the pool.
The pool was wonderful. Sprawling throughout the resort, it offered areas for excitement, shade, or relaxation.

Service --
This is one area that deserves 5 stars. They really do treat their customers well. Check-in was very smooth. We were greeted with champagne and a cool towel after the drive from the airport (although not a long drive - maybe 25 min). We came early, so our room was not ready, but we were able to take full advantage of the resort until then. I emailed prior to arriving that it was our anniversary. They welcomed us with a iced bottled of champagne in our room as well as a special welcome letter offering us discounted spa services, fresh fruit bowl, and a special anniversary dinner with special wine. This made us feel very welcome. They had a very well organized service department. We could always tell they were trying their best to please us.

Activities --
They had lots of things going on, but it was never alienating for those wanting relaxation. We went kayaking, sailing (so much fun), paddle boarding, water aerobics. They had lots of other things that we couldn't get to, so it felt as though we would never get bored.

Entertainment --
This was so-so. We saw the "Fire Show" which was decent. The "Circus" show was OK; however they recycled many of the circus acts for the "1001 Nights" Arabian show. We saw the "Cabaret" Show, and it wasn't good. The best show was the "Michael Jackson" show. This person did a fantastic job with the choreography! Looked just like MJ.

***The Issue That Got Under My Skin***<<<Management, please respond!
We wanted to get a cab to Playa Del Carmen to do some shopping. Cab rides into town generally run about 15-20 USD one way. However, when we called down to have them ring a cab, we were told it was 90 USD round trip or 45 one way. When I asked why it was so expensive, they wouldn't give an explanation. They just said that was the rate. I was really confused, and later found out they use a shuttle company NOT REAL TAXIS, and that's why its so expensive. They didn't offer us any other options for getting to town. THIS WAS UNBELIEVELY WRONG AND DECEIVING!

So, after deciding to go ahead and spend over double what it should've cost, I needed to get some extra cash. I'm not stupid, and I know how fees work with ATM's -- HOWEVER, I read in the "Excellence Riviera Cancun Gust Services" book, that you can make a cash advance with maximum of 100 USD. I thought, "Hey, I'll just do that with a much lower fee than going to the ATM -- what a great service!" WRONG. Their own verbiage states that guests can make a cash advance up to 100 USD with a 7% fee with the card on record upon check in.

When I went to do this, they told me I couldn't do this because that is only for emergencies. I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND this policy **BUT** there was nothing in the guest services book in the room that mentioned "emergencies" -- furthermore, there was nothing explaining what an "emergency" even is -- nor could the staff explain what constituted an "emergency". I took a picture of the guest services book, and showed Geraldo (one of the managers that night), and he had NO good explanation as to why the book says one thing, and their "policy" says another.

As you could imagine I was frustrated in having to pay twice the fees when the written book in our room states we can do this regardless of an "emergency"

Now, Juan (concierge "manager") called and attempted to smooth things over, but STILL was not able to offer an explanation. Then Kenya (sp?)(front desk "manager") called, and STILL was not able to offer a solution/explanation.

^^^^This is my issue. Why have something in your book that says one thing, and have a policy that contradicts the book THEN YOU'RE NOT ABLE TO BACK UP YOUR OWN POLICIES!

I understand this is a rant, but this is indicative of the management's inability to handle a situation when its outside the realm of "normal" complaints, issues, etc.

OK, I know I ranted. The resort really was great. I just feel the resort should address issues like that.

8 Thank Ryan H
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that it was not of your full satisfaction. Although at Excellence Resorts, each member of our staff is continuously trained for the proper development of their duties and to deliver high quality service that exceed the expectations of all our guests.

First of all we would like to mention that except for our recommended airport transportation, transfers services are performed by the local taxi company. This local taxi company has its own prices and they are available 24/7 for any guest willing to use their service. Allow us to apologize for the misunderstanding but you were given the correct transfer rates for Playa del Carmen.

As per the cash advance, once again, allow us to apologize for what seems to be a misunderstanding. The cash advance is available for our clients in case they are experiencing an unexpected emergency. For example: unable to use the ATM or credit card for hospital emergencies, Passport lost, unexpected departure date, etc. This assistance as explained by our team, has a 7% of commission.

Please receive our warmest greetings from Cancun.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!