“Excellence in every way!”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellence in every way!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for 9 nights in July and it was superb in every way. Having stayed in playa del Carmen previously this hotel truly surpassed our expectations and we would definitely return. The excellence club package is a must - private beach area is fab and there were always enough beds to choose from. Weather was superb and staff exemplary - in particular Amable at the pool bar. She should be promoted! Always smiley, positive and willing and she knew our names from day 1. Also Sergio and Adrian were great. Always attentive and friendly. They made our stay a total pleasure. Chez Isabel and Spice were our fave eateries. Don't be scared to ask for extras such as potatoes as a side with your main course - they are only too happy to oblige. We had an ocean view junior suite in block 8 and it was perfect. Not overlooked and with a fab view of the ocean. No noise issues and a jacuzzi on the balcony :) can't wait to return :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Helenmc16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,639)
  • Korean first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went to this hotel to celebrate my husbands retirement and our wedding anniversary and it was the most amazing holiday we have had.The accommodation,fasciitis,choice of restaurants ,food,entertainment and staff were excellent.The attention to detail and service made the holiday a celebration from start to finish.A beautiful hotel which will be difficult to beat.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very spacious suites.It is not worth paying extra for the swim up rooms as we didn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Madforwales
gemmaspaniels
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided on ERC for our honeymoon following recommendations from friends who had stayed at EPM and rated it extremely highly. We decided to upgrade our room and opted for 'Excellence Club Ocean Front', meaning of course we were entitled to the Excellence Club amenities. For us this was well worth the money. On arrival we were greeted with the cold flannel and glass of fizz whilst the concierge escorted us to the 'Excellence Club Lounge' where we checked in. We then went to our room which we completely loved. They did tell us that we were given a twin with two doubles rather than a king however a king room would be available the next day but we loved having two beds- more space to lay about!!! It's not as if they were singles! A huge tv, a huge shower, two massive jacuzzis and the mini bar... Which was immense. We actually had gin as one of the spirits in our room, my husband asked them to switch this to Jagermeister which they did! Our balcony was immediately out on to the ocean front justifying it's name. We enjoyed our water treatment in the spa. I could sit here for days listing the AMAZING things about this hotel but will try to mention a few highlights:
1. The beautiful warm pools, some people think they should be cooler but we loved them.
2. The grounds- the grounds are stunning. Landscaping and water features everywhere you look. Second to none.
3. The waiter/ waitress service on the Excellence Club Beach. The waitress, Amable (I think) is one of the hardest working people I have ever seen. Plus of course the lovely Moses at the EC pool bar. You don't have to tip but you want to.
4. The wonderful relaxed atmosphere.
5. Breakfast... The buffet and service is world class. The choice is unreal. Freshly made omelettes, waffles, pancakes, salads, fruit, yoghurts, pastries, cereals, there is something for everyone.
6. The beach BBQ every day was BEAUTIFUL. Every day a different theme, Japanese, Hawaiian, Mexican, "Rock and Burger" which was a great rock band with gorgeous big juicy burgers!
7. The top shelf spirits at the Excellence Club... Belvedere, Havana... All sorts. Don't be afraid to ask for it, if they have it you will get it in your drink.
8. The SERVICE. Nothing is too much trouble. For people who encounter a "bad attitude" I would look a little closer to home.
9. The room service. Everything is on tap 24/7. After leaving the Italian restaurant one evening I fancied another portion of lasagne as it was sooo good. I rang room service and it was at the door inside 30 minutes.
10. The Excellence club lounge. We upgraded as it was for our honeymoon. If you can afford it, do it. The lounge is open 7am-11pm. You can book trips, eat and drink here. We loved it, a great place to call in for a drink and a snack before/ after a day at the pool or before/ after an evening meal. We noticed a lot of guests didn't utilise the lounge as much as we did. You can go in and order any drink you like, my favourites were the Bellini and the Kia Royale. There are always snacks available as well. It's all included. The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed.
There were of course a few things which perhaps could be improved, I must add these do NOT affect the overall quality of the experience at the resort.
Our favourite restaurant was the Indian. Being from Yorkshire we love a good curry and everything here was beautiful. If anything I would say it wasn't spicy enough. We ordered the vindaloo and it wasn't spicy so if you like it hot just ask.
Some of the food wasn't really to our taste... Eg; the steak was good but it didn't compare to our British steak. But I think that's down to individual taste.
Yes you can literally walk from one restaurant into another if you feel you're not full or didn't enjoy your meal, try something more!
The pool bar "Blue" is VERY busy and noisy with Americans who are sometimes a bit intimidating and full on. But there are loads of places you can go if you want to get away from the "action" and sound doesn't seem to travel around the resort at all.
Pack plenty of mosquito repellant, you will need it. I covered myself in after sun and had 18 bites on my legs at one point, my husband didn't bother and had about 2. Lessons... Forget the moisturiser and put on the repellant!
All in all an amazing honeymoon. The service is second to none, as are the grounds, food, drink and the whole hotel. We had a wonderful time and would without a doubt go back. If you go to this resort expecting to meet some wonderful staff with a great attitude, have an extremely comfortable room to sleep in, whatever food and drink you want at any time, you will have an excellent time. One more thing to add... There is a $90 taxi ride to Cancun (return) but there is also a free shuttle at certain times of day that they don't really tell you about. Ask the concierge and they will tell you more. Book it... You will love it!!!

Stayed July 2014
21 Thank gemmaspaniels
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 August 2014

To start this, a little background. I have been to Riviera Maya about 8 times.

Check in - awesome. We got to the resort early from Boston and they held our bags while we used the resort. Very easy and the staff was friendly when you walk in

Grounds - beautiful. The staff truly works hard to make the grounds impeccable. Probably the best kept resort we have been to. The attention to detail, and the amount of waitstaff everywhere, you never see a dirty table or drinks on the ground, which we have seen before.

Beach - so I read the reviews on how much seaweed there is at the beach, but I didn't really think so. I have been further down to Playa del Carmen and even further but it is just a little seaweed. If you take a few steps into the ocean you are completely in clean water. Also every day my buddy and I walked the beach and they were raking up the seaweed with machines. Being from the east coast, I didn't mind the little they had. Side note some of the softest sand ever.

Pool - best part of the resort. We are typically pool people since we have an ocean close by in CT. They had a variety of pools, almost seemed like they never ended. There was the main pool with the pool bar. This is actually where they play pool volleyball as well after 2:00pm. We were able to play pool volleyball earlier. It does get a little louder in the main pool, partially due to the competitiveness of the game, and our whole group met there everyday in the same area.

They do have a lazy river pool which is extremely quiet. I was told by many people it was a nice break from the main pool. We go to have a fun time so main pool was great for us.

Bars/Drinks - Great. We have been to a Secrets in PC and they claim to have top shelf alcohol but never saw it there. This was a big plus for us, as they had Bud/Bud Light and Captain Morgans which is what we enjoyed. The bars are great as well. The Martini bar is a good find, if you sit right behind the staircase it is private. Their dance club is split, so some nights inside, other times outside at the xlounge. We preferred the Xlounge as the club is too hot. Never a long wait at any bar for the drinks. Check out the Oreo cookie drink at the bar in the plaza, coffee oreo, very good.

Staff - Best part of the trip, we were there for our 5th anniversary with our neighbors, they went out of their way, we had a bottle of champagne and towel art with a fruit basket in our room upon arrival. Sara was a great addition to the resort. She played volleyball with us, and was always smiling and having fun. Anna, Erica, ,Veronica, best waitstaff. They were incredible and kept the drinks coming when we were playing volleyball, and always joked with us, just truly great people.

Restaurants - So here is a room for improvement. We loved the food, didn't have anything bad to say about that part of it, however, two things you should know going into the restaurants. They all require pants, which is no big deal, if you know about it. We had two friends have to buy pants $75 each because they didn't realize this. Also, if you have a table of more than four, they will not seat you together. They have a rule there, which to me doesn't make sense. If I am at an inclusive with friends, why can't we sit together. We were allowed once at the Asian. But all the restaurants are great and you can't go wrong with any of them. Asian was our favorite.

Rooms - very clean and the housekeeping did a great job every day. WE LEFT OUR SAFE OPEN, one night, and they locked it. Nothing was taken out from the safe. I hear horror stories about this, and I was shocked how awesome this place is for that. They also have incense we burnt every night along with a fully stocked fridge. One downside of the rooms were they didn't get cold enough. Comparatively, the other resorts never had an issue with this.

People - Hello to our friends we met, from the Texans, to Detroit, to PA, to Cincinatti, to Oklahoma, to the UK, to Jersey and NY. You guys know you you are. PM me if we didn't exchange numbers or info. Friendliest people we have ever met at a resort.

I wouldn't hesitate to book the ERC again. It is a great place and has the activities you want, from quiet to active. It is a nice mix of people, and the staff is the best we have ever had.

Cheers

The Mayor

Room Tip: We were in the 2300's and it was quiet. Nice to have
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
14 Thank NorwoodDave
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 August 2014

In a word- AMAZING! Just returned and wanted to pen this review while memories are fresh. Hubby booked us a 2 story suite in the Club section. Excellence Club exclusive amenities we took advantage of included: VIP check in in the Club room, Access to the Club room for daily refreshments and the chocolate party on Thurs,(complete with all arrays of chocolate delights including GOOD COFFEE via vacuum brew and chocolate martinis), Club area pool with our own bar and very attentive poolside service including regular offerings of hors d'oeuvres. Our 2 story suite included the rooftop area that housed a generous sized plunge pool (approx 10' X 6'), bed, shower, seating area. The room was a delight to enter every single time but truly first impressions were cemented with the welcoming bottle of chilled Cava in our sitting area complemented by the long stemmed red rose on our bed and fresh floral arrangement on the table. Nightly turn down service included unique sweet treats that were lovely. Another welcoming aspect to our weary bones was the delightfully comfortable bed. It was sumptuous to sink into and wake up from altho the first night we actually slept under the stars after a moonlight dip in our private plunge pool!!!! Also (We did not take advantage of this), but I want to mention that should our tastes have desired it....there was a pillow menu to choose from!!! So as to attempt to provide a full disclosure helpful review I will mention in less than glowing terms 3 things about this room but in NO WAY did these details detract from our overall experience! First - as other reviews have mentioned and we were therefore completely expecting - no there is not a "bathroom" as we Yanks are accustomed. The WC is just that. A doored alcove housing the toilet. Just deal with it. Moving on to #2 -Coffee. Oi vey. Our room was furnished with a pod style brewer and the liquid it brought forth was coffee in only a chemical definition of the substance. HOWEVER - they have a VACUUM BREW in the Excellence Club that is HEAVENLY!!!!!! So.....if you (like me) have a slightly addicted affinity for a good cup of java just get your booty over to the club and enjoy watching the brewing commence and then savoring the nectar!!! Lastly, and also not a surprise to us, the stairs up to the rooftop could be very slippery. Solution? Always wear your complementary slippers with the grippy bottoms and walk carefully. Moving from the room to other resort areas. Martini is in our opinion the BEST BAR on the resort. ALEJANDRO IS THE BEST BARTENDER EVER!!!! We'll not divulge exactly how many pineapple martinis and chocolate martinis the hubby & I indulged in but we had enough to say that Alejandro by far made the best ones! Breakfast was at Barcelona (buffet style) but really quite good. Lunch options were Barcelona again or The Grill or The Lobster House. Really liked Barcelona - buffet but lots of good quality variety. The Grill & Lobster house are outdoors and actually 2 sides of the same area. We were disappointed that since they appear to be connected that we couldn't sit on one side and order from either menu but we chose to eat at the Grill side. It was ok but in my opinion not as good as Barcelona. Dinners - we ate at Spice, Chez Isabelle, and Basmati. The indian restaurant had very good entrees and a lovely atmosphere. Hubby had chicken tiki marsala and marsala fried squid grenade. I had the mutter paneer masala, potato samosas, & my ubiquitus chai. Entrees were delicious, hubby enjoyed the squid. Samosas were only average and the chai they served was a dark leaf tea with cardamom and other spices that were flavorful but it was not chai. Chez Isabelle - hubby had filet mignon and I had sea bass and we both had the tarta tatin for dessert. IT WAS AMAZING!!! Everything was DELICIOUS!!!! Also LOVELY atmosphere. Spice - hubby had thai beef salad, chicken pad thai. I had chile basil grouper. Dessert - lychee coconut flan, tempura ice-cream.Tempura ice-cream was not remarkable but everything else was AMAZING!!!!! Again, LOVELY atmosphere. Transportation - we booked with LOMAS. They were wonderful!!! Look for the people in aegean turquoise tops with white ties and pants. Wonderful service! Fast transpiration! Very clean vans! Excellence is pretty close to the airport - maybe 15min. Entertainment - Wedesday nite Claudia sang outside the pavilion - VOICE OF AN ANGEL!!!! We could have listened to her every nite!!! She is not only a talented vocalist but has a fun personality well suited to entertain the masses. The Michael Jackson show Tues nite really didn't do it for us, however the majority of the crowd seemed to enjoy it and in no way could compare to the trio containing Claudia. She and the other two musicians were so talented!!! THEY were the stars in our opinion. Checkin & Checkout was a BREEZE! Upon checkin Guillermo escorted us to the Excellence club for checkin and then to our rooms. Along the way he pointed out all the facilities (restaurants, bars, pools, entertainment areas etc) so we could orient ourselves as quickly as possible and start our vacation! After being checked in at the Excellence club we were told our room wouldn't be ready immediately so we were sent over to the spa for a complementary scalp & foot massage. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! It was SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT!!!!! Even my hubby "don't touch my feet" guy loved it! I don't think words can adequately describe the spa. Claudia in the Excellence Club took care of our checkout and was delightful! Overall, this resort is stunning and from beginning to end our stay was MAGICAL!!!! We thought we arrived armed with enough small bills for tipping but the service (even though yes this is AI) was so exceptional every employee we interacted with more than earned our tips! Thanks to each and every staff member who so very obviously works so hard to have made our vacation truly heavenly! (Next time I'll just have to take the ol' phone out to snap photos of the staff and their name badges so as to better remember names!!) We can't WAIT to go back!!!!!

Room Tip: Excellence club was WELL worth it for us. Don't know if next time we'd spring for the 2 stor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank swillis_11
Leeds
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple in February 2013 and enjoyed every minute of our 10 night stay. The room, food and drink were all superb although I felt dining here was getting a bit repetitive and would have had to venture out of the hotel had we stayed 2 weeks or longer. Service by the staff was second to none especially from the beach waiter. Everyone who worked here was so friendly and we tipped accordingly.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scottandrachael
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Based on all the great reviews of this resort, it's clear people love it. We did, too. So I'll just skip ahead to some tips we picked up along the way (relevant for our stay in late-July):

Overall, we had a great visit. It's a beautiful resort and the staff is A++++.

- The beds are awful. Just awful. The first 2 nights we stayed there, our necks/shoulders/backs were killing us. Pregnant wife was not happy at all. But then someone said you could request a pillow-top for your bed and this did the trick. But holy moly, they've gotta do something about those mattresses. (If you like firm mattresses, this will be your heaven).

- Mexico is hot and the sun will bake you alive. If you are interested in any kind of shade, you need to get up around 7-7:30am and put your stuff down on a shaded tiki hut lounge thing. Put a shirt down, a book, whatever. The ones on the Lazy River are a bit more available but if you wanna sit by the pool, get a place early.

- You can't reserve or hang-on to the blue float-y things everyone wants. But everyone grabs 'em and keeps them by their chairs anyway. So if you see one, just take it. That's the resort policy (that's not enforced in any way). If you want a float-y thing and you see a float-y thing, it's your's. "Excuse me, we were using that." -- No you're not. You're sitting on your chair. If you were using it, I wouldn't be able to take it." -- Them's the breaks.

- The resort food is average. Giant selection but everything is.....average. The quote of the week was: "How is your ______?" "It's fine." You certainly won't starve with so many options but I don't think you'll be raving about anything.

- The staff is A+++++. Anything you could possibly need, they'll get for you. They're friendly and professional.

- The fact that this is an Adults-Only resort was not lost on us. The lack of children is.....wonderful. It's nice to make friends in the pool and not have to worry about stopping conversations because of their kids wandering off or needing attention.

- We had a Junior Swim-Up Suite and wouldn't spend the money on this type of room again. We couldn't take advantage of the lounges outside of our room (which would have been amazingly awesome) because there is ZERO shade (at least on our building, 1.) We spent most of our time away from our room. Should have gotten a regular room. It would have been fine.

- Oh, how I wanted to relax in a hammock. The maintenance crew came twice to fix our hammock and it just wasn't happening. Most rooms looked like this. Again, Junior Swim-Up Suite was not really worth the extra money.

- Take advantage of the in-room Room Service!

- Those iguanas that roam around Building 1? They will jump on your chairs (while you're in them) while you're eating. So be aware.

- The spa is fantastic. My pregnant wife did a pre-natal massage and gave it an A+. I did the hydrotherapy thing for $38 and it was great. The little massage at the end alone made it worth $38.

- If you wanna eat at the hibachi grill in Spice, you've gotta get in line at 5:30pm to make a reservation. All other restaurants are no-reservations.

- Be sure to wear appropriate attire to each restaurant (as described in the nightly newsletter you get in your room). i.e., they will not let you in the french restaurants without long pants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,715 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!