Excellence Riviera Cancun
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Acamaya Reef(Puerto Morelos)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Club Paraiso Maya(Puerto Morelos)
View Hotel
Hotel Arrecifes Suites(Puerto Morelos)
View Hotel
Hotel Ojo De Agua(Puerto Morelos)
  • Pool
13,660 results
All reviewslazy riverchez isabellelobstermartini barthe grillflavor marketsol barspa viewbarcelona restaurantclub poolroom serviceour honeymoonfrench restaurantlas olasmichael jackson showclub levelswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Let me start off by saying, Thank you Excellence! This place is hands down awesome. From the minute you walk in to the minute you leave. This was our second time at an Excellence resort. First being their Playa Mujeres. As soon as we walked in we were treated like royalty which is awesome. Then the quick check in with our room ready at mid-day was spectacular. The grounds are phenomenal and well maintained. The walk to the room reminded us of our honeymoon. The room was a little dated but we don't care as we are in it for a total of 9 hrs. 8 to sleep and 1 to get ready for dinner. The restaurants again were incredible! Our short stay didn't allow for all the restaurants but we did go to the Indian restaurant twice. Alberto the waiter at the Indian restaurant was unreal. Fast and on top of everything! Buffet Breakfast was awesome!! My Fav!! Little Luis was the man in this place!! Another Alberto!! And yes we did have another waiter but yea not even close but still good. The Bars were awesome especially Pablo at the main pool bar where the pizza was. He made the best pina coladas since I have been going to Cancun, about 12 times now. The beach isn't the greatest but its not the worst. It is roomy and wide so I would rather have that then be cramped. The pools are incredible!! Especially where our room was 7001. AHHHH corner unit, and swim up!! I recommend this room. Oh forgot to give a shout out to Benito the pizza man. He listened and got all my food correct, do cut him some slack cause he gets overwhelmed. People loved ordering 10 pizzas and not saying Thank you wasn't cool. And also to the kid who did our photo album! He spent an hour and a half with us and had everything done to perfection!! Photographers here are very good!! The nightly entertainment was great again. Never a let down. This place is so good at being a great resort. Put it this way we are planning to go back again same time or earlier next year. The price and quality for this place is awesome, you cant beat it. I am sure my wife will post anything I missed but feel free to contact me at ksenyhc@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Room Tip: room 7001 best place to be!!
6  Thank Dax S
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed 20.7.14 - 3.7.14 and had the most fabulous time. As a couple in our thirties with no children, this was an ideal venue because it was adults only.

I will try not to regurgitate too much of what other reviewers have said.

Having stayed in all-inclusives in the past, the food here was to a superb standard and I am a picky eater. Everything was hot, freshly cooked and tasty. I am a little embarrassed to say that I had preconceptions about getting a tummy upset while in Mexico but am delighted to report that neither my husband or I experienced an upset tummy during our two week stay and we sampled all sorts of 'usual suspects' trigger foods.

Generally, the service was exceptional. We enjoy a slight pause between courses but I have noted, reading other reviews, that some of our transatlantic cousins want one course straight after another. All down to personal preference.

The staff, generally, are very helpful, polite and hard-working. Although tips aren't expected, we did tip good service due to the traits listed above. We tipped $1 or 20 pesos as a general rule.

As other reviewers have noted, the grounds are immaculate and I was pleased to see a maintenance worker cleaning the tiles in the main pool where scum usually collects. He was also wiping the beds which are in the pool water.

Our room was well maintained and cleaned. The housekeeping was ok but the maid, on occasion, did forget to supply us with enough towels and face cloths. The minibar restocking was sporadic. Although, I will say this, I left a note (with a tip) in the fridge requesting Montejo beer. On the first occasion this was supplied. On the second occasion, I left a note asking for extra Snickers and Montejo. The Snickers were supplied but the guy who stocks the minibar did not take the tip until several days later when he was able to supply the Montejo too. Bless!!

Front desk and concierge are quite frankly rude. If you ask a question, you are bounced between the two. There IS a free courtesy bus to Cancun but don't ask if they do it, just tell them that you want to book a place.

Regarding trips, we felt that the trips were very expensive. If you want to do Coco Bongos (VIP) expect to pay £240 per couple when you factor in the taxi. We did Chichen Itza for £90 each. The whale-shark trip approx £300 per couple which, by the way, everyone who did it, raved about it. The hotel and reps are expensive but you can buy the same trips from the people on the beach much cheaper. Marcella is a good one to catch.

Speaking of the beach, yes there is sea weed and sea grass: some days are better than others but, the hotels really do do a good job of trying to keep on top of it. Don't let it put you off!

My recommendations to the hotel would be to sort the front desk and conceirge staff out as they are really rude and unhelpful. Karen, the guest service manager is nice.

If we were to return, I would like to see an extra member of staff working in the pool bar, top end spirits being used in cocktails as standard, cold towels being offered on the beach and more pool floats.

As an aside, I would really like to praise the hotel for acting upon some minor things I mentioned in the guest questionnaire I was handed one morning. I really appreciated the fact that they took the time to read my comments and acting upon then enhanced our stay. Thank you.

I hope this review is helpful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
20  Thank JL M
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is our fifth Excellence Resort (4 others at Excellence Riviera Cancun and 1 at Playa Mujeres). As a matter of understanding our experiences, we have been to: Iberostar Grand Paraiso, Sandals Grand St. Lucia, Sandals Whitehouse, Couples Negril, Riu Tropical Bay Negril, Galley Bay Antigua, Princess Cruises, Holland America Cruises, and several caribbean rental homes in Bahamas, Virgin Gorda, and a Moorings sailing trip in the BVI's.

We continue to visit other resorts in other countries and continue to hold it to the standards of Excellence. I will address several aspects of this resort: bars, service, rooms, and food.

Bars: If you are looking for top notch drinks with top shelf liquors, this is the place for you. The drinks are delicious and service at them is truly great.

Service: The service is terrific. We have not encountered a negative employee. I am sure that they exist, but, are so well trained that we do not see this in public. Service at the restaurants, beach, concierge, and room are difficult to find fault.

Rooms: We have learned that we are most happy with a ground floor swim out suite. We enjoy walking from our room into the lazy river. The room is large with a generous sitting area, jacuzzi tub, large shower, complete with wi-fi. I would have a difficult time coming up with something that it is lacking.

Food: We enjoy the wide selection of foods at this resort. There are so many options (different restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) that if one is complaining, they should just find a different restaurant to tempt their tastebuds. We can always find a favorite appetizer, main entree, or dessert, with each restaurant.

We will continue to visit other countries, but, always have Excellence in our back pockets. It is a GREAT value for what you get!

Room Tip: Spa view, lazy river!
21  Thank 570MGB
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I am so excited to write this review, that I don’t even know where to begin! I suppose we can start with what kind of people we are — I am 28 years old, and a real estate agent from Austin, Texas. My wife is 25 and an elementary school teacher. We went on this trip with two other couples, so we had some friends there with us! All six of us were looking for a nice, quiet mixture of fun and relaxation, and this resort NAILED IT.

Let’s talk about the food — Our favorites were The Lobster House, the Italian restaurant, and the Indian restaurant. Reservations weren’t required for any of the restaurants, however the later you go in the day, the greater chance you will have a wait. We ate kind of early like old people (6:45ish), so there was never a wait! The Lobster House was outstanding, and the lobster was cooked divinely. The Italian restaurant was very good, and I thought they had the best deserts. Now, the Indian restaurant on the resort was something I am going to miss the most! It was, hands down, the best Indian food we have ever had. The waiters were the friendliest there, and catered to our table like we were the only ones there. He brought a sampler of all the appetizers, naan, and had suggestions for our friends that hadn’t yet tasted the delicious taste of Indian cuisine. Kudos to that crew on a job well done! The Japanese Hibachi grill also gets an honorable mention — be sure to get there right when the open at around 5:30pm to reserve a spot at the actual Hibachi part…if not, you will just get a normal table! Shout out to Eric for an awesome time!

Onto the shows! Let me preface this portion by saying that I had very low expectations for the shows here at the resort — I am not a “show guy” on cruises or at the resorts, but my wife is so I toughed it up, grabbed a tequila, and got comfortable! To my surprise, I was delightfully entertained by each show we watched! The first show was the “1001 Arabian Nights” show. It was essentially several belly-dancers, and entertainers trying to entertain a tyrannical ruler that would threaten to cut off their heads if he was not happy. Besides the fact that it was pretty much culturally insensitive, it was funny and pretty amazing to watch! They did the standard woman climbing up and down, and hanging on the two long pieces of fabric, and some basic dancing. But then came the guys that made me want to spend the next 2 months at the gym. These two dudes got horizontal on a pole, one of them stood on the other while he was horizontal, and they basically did a series of gymnastics on each other for about 10 minutes. The kicker was when one of them did a one-handed handstand ON TOP of the other dude’s head…yes, you read that correctly. It was freaky, impressive, and reminded me that I really am not in shape :(

The other show that is worth mentioning was the Michael Jackson impersonator. As a skeptic, I figured it would be pretty fun to watch a Mexican person tromp around doing the moonwalk and lip sync to the King of Pop. Once again, Excellence surpassed my expectations. My wife and I sat with our jaws to the floor for about 30 minutes while we watched, as far as we could tell, the actual King of Pop put on an incredible show! I know, I know…”How dare this TripAdvisor clown insult the King”…I say to you sir/madam, it was darn there the real thing! WATCH THIS SHOW!

Now, onto the important stuff…the BOOZE! The bars were all awesome, plain and simple. There was only one indoor bar, which is at the bottom of the lobby. It is set up as a martini bar, and kind of became our central meeting point for our group. Most nights, they had a live pianist there too, which was quite pleasant. The liquor is name-brand for the most part, and the bartenders did well (for the most part) when ordering our Texan-American drinks. The only hiccups was when we would order a vodka soda…for some reason, they kept putting tequila in instead of Vodka. The nice part is that it’s all inclusive, so no harm, no foul!

The Spa was a force to be reckoned with at this resort…my wife and I booked a hydrotherapy session, followed by an 80 minutes couples massage. The hydrotherapy station was phenomenal, and I highly recommend doing it! It was a series of showers, steam rooms, and stations in the pool that had jets focus on different areas of the body. The water stuff was relaxing enough, and was capped off by an even better massage experience. My wife and I sat in a room while Elisa and Magda worked their magic on our whole bodies…I dozed off, enjoyed the massage, and woke up feeling like a million bucks! We finished by enjoying champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, and then headed down to the smoothie bar to grab a couple of smoothies before continuing the day!

The resort grounds were better than we had experienced at many other resorts. Everything was clean, orderly, and well-kept! The beach was very nice, but we had some seaweed roll in right when we got there. When we asked about it, they said it was just the season for it. They do have a tractor that drives the beach all day to pick up the seaweed, so that was cool! They have a couple of different pool areas — the one closer to the beach has a nice swim-up bar, and is a little cooler (temperature) and a little louder. We referred to it as the party pool! The pools in the back were warmer, and were very quiet. This is where we usually went to relax and take naps! There are plenty of shaded seats/lounges throughout the resort and on the beach. There are even a bunch of outdoor bed-type things to lounge on all around the pools and on the beach!

Finally — some pro-tips and honorable mentions! Even though the resort is all inclusive, bring a couple of five dollar bills (or 50 pesos) — they go a long way with these guys, and they appreciate it! The WiFi at the resort works pretty much everywhere, which was cool. If you have iMessage, it is nice to keep in touch if you are there with friends without worrying about roaming and all of that nonsense! For those of you that are scoffing at the drunkards playing pool volleyball when you first get there — don’t judge them too harshly…you will be in there before your trip is over, and probably louder than they are. For the love of God, BRING MOSQUITO SPRAY…I’m not talking about the lame 5% deet stuff…you are going to need the heavy duty stuff at night! My wife got destroyed and looked like she had shingles…On that note, guys — make sure you bring some lightweight, comfortable pants. The restaurants will require a collared shirt and pants to get in…they don’t play around with that one! If you are the romantically adventurous type, there are two 24 hour streaming “adult” channels (channels 37 and 38 - *insert devious smile here*). Lastly, we want to give shout outs to Luis, Rafael, and the other folks that helped us with Olympus Tours. They took great care of us! The entire martini bar also took care of us, and single handedly served probably 40 shots of Don Julio to us. If you find yourself out in town at Puerto Morelos, grab a bite to eat at the Pelican restaurant and find Abraham out front if you want to go fishing. We had a blast, and they will bring you back and cook your fish for you for free. Most of all, have fun and enjoy this resort — it was well worth it!

Room Tip: Most of our rooms seemed pretty similar...building 6 was close enough to the action, but far enough away to be quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
20  Thank Kasey J
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Riviera Cancun have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We just got back from here and our stay was "OK". The bugs were terrible. We have very few waiters and waitresses that were exceptional. Most were not friendly. The spa was the very best thing on the property and it was the very best massage I have ever had. Everyone in the spa area was very friendly and helpful. I had Lidia and highly recommend her! The classes she put on as well were very informational and helpful. If you go here and expect to eat, make sure the men wear a shirt that has collars and button down shirts. Dining is casual elegance meaning you cannot wear shorts or flip flops to dinner. Room service took 4 hours to get so plan accordingly. Our maid and turn down service was good. The people we went with had a different maid service and they had not had their mini-fridge restocked in 3 days. The nightly entertainment was good. The property was very clean but the beach area was not. The beach here is not a great beach as there was tons of seaweed and it was smelly. Along with the spa, the chef in the Lobster House, Lorena is the very best. My husband and his friend went deep sea fishing and caught a very large red snapper and Lorena cooked it up for us and it was the very best meal we had there. She was very kind and very appreciative of the tip we left her. No one else was ever very appreciative except the spa. When we got there we got shown to our room and that was it, we didn't get a tour like others we had seen so we had to experience things on our own and find things out on our own which was kind of discouraging when looking for a place to eat when we first got there and getting turned down everywhere because we didn't wear proper attire. So just beware, make sure you bring clothes of casual elegance, some people also wore long gowns but I did not bring that with me on a vacation that consisted of relaxing and enjoying my time with my spouse and friends. I should also add, if you plan on buying anything from the gift store be prepared to fork out a ton of money for simple things. I was starving because there was nothing open as far as restaurants and my small bag of chips was 11.00. Another thing that I enjoyed was getting to the room after the nightly entertainment and my bed was turned down with a small treat and a letter saying what the next day might bring and the expected temperatures of the day. The spa had a daily special and also a product that they sold at a reasonable price. That was a definite highlight

Room Tip: Our room was a view of the lazy ocean, 1201 was our number and it was good. Air conditioner is set at 64 and that is the lowest it goes which is fine. I never had problems with the room. We did tip our maid because she did a job well done.
6  Thank T R

Thank you for having chosen Excellence Riviera Cancun as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.