“Would recommend visiting”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Comments first, good stuff is below. We have just returned from 10 nights stay here, lovely place. We got checked in quickly, with a cold towel and a drink. On arrival to our room though we found a used condom on the floor, not nice start however, my wife cleaned it up and we did not complain but did complete a comment card towards the end of our staff and the management clearly read them as we mentioned this on the comment card and the following day three members of staff come to our room to apologise.
I don't like the pool police (not really called that) but they monitor how long beds are unattended for and if you are not there for more than forty minutes they remove your towels and any property, I never once saw a day where all the beds where taken in fact there would ample. The pool bar needs another server especially post lunchtime, the martini bar has quite a few staff and they are constantly at it but service is slower than I would have liked. Avoid the Mexican restaurant, I was one of many which said this and finally but nothing I can see the hotel can do about this is the bugs biting you even if you used repellant. Lastly night club which I only went to once was very hot but music was very good. Odd one I thought, they don't provide packed lunches when off property, I tried room service and reception but the nice staff in the main restaurant did us some sandwiches and we took some apples.

Good stuff - the staff really work there nuts off and attentive when you want something, the rooms are cleaned well, the bar always stocked. Louis in the main restaurant was awesome, he really made us feel very welcome and had the most amazing smile every day, Ricardo from the seafood restaurant was super cool too. The French and seafood restaurant were my favorite, the venison was awesome.

I really enjoyed playing volly ball but I needed to approach other people whom wanted to play whom perhaps did not know the time or needed a polite nudge to come and join, at prior resorts the entertainment staff normally do a quick shout out but I am guessing being a higher class resort some people don't want to hear members of staff pestering them where as a guest it was less intrusive but we had a good number of players each day.

What made our trip extra special was the people we meet, we meet some lovely couples. It is not necessary to tip but we tipped about 15 dollars a day, it's is not expected by them but they certainly do appreciate it. Oh finally, not all restaurants are open every night.

We did the jungle tour, it was good fun especially as I have never driven a boat before. Bellman was twenty minutes late collecting our bags so we ended up taking them down.

I really would recommend this resort and we really did have a lovely time. Hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: One with a bed!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank bradley k

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just got back from an 8 day vacation at the ERC on 8/27/14 and here is my report. This is a tough review to write because I feel if this was my first time at an all-inclusive that I would be raving about the ERC saying it was a 10 out 10 in my review. But I feel as though I have stayed at better places and had more fun at other places than the ERC. Not to say that our stay at the ERC wasn't great, just that I have had a better overall experience at other resorts. Secrets St. James in Jamaica comes to mind right off the bat as a better overall experience for the same price as ERC. Even Secrets SilverSands my wife and I feel like was a better overall experience. I think what made our stay at the ERC better than my review is inclined to come out is that we went there for our friends destination wedding with 26 other people. So this made our stay at the ERC a lot of fun and a great experience. Basically we hung out by the pool all day drinking and then we would break up into groups and go out to dinner to one of the fabulous restaurants that are at the ERC. After dinner some of would go to the show and/or the Martini bar for a late nite cocktail. I feel if it was just my wife and I it wouldn't have been as great of a vacation as it was. So I will break down the great things, the good things and the bad things about ERC.

Bad: the beds are ROCK HARD, my wife complained every nite about how hard the bed was and that she couldn't get a good nites sleep. It was hard, and it did affect my sleep as well so after 3 restless nites I called the front desk and asked if they could put a mattress topper on the bed and within an hour we had one put on the bed. This made the bed a little more tolerable for sleeping. UNLESS you get the preferred club or excellence club room you will get a hard beds. our friends who got married here had the excellence club and said their bed was not hard. the rest of us were not excellence club and we all said the beds were hard. so if that's your thing a hard bed, ask for a mattress topper right away. they do have a pillow menu to order different types of pillows. we used it and I eventually found a pillow I liked.

Mosquitos: I had read other reviews about the mosquitos being a problem here. First 6 nites, not a problem at all, the 7th nite BIG PROBLEM. We were eating our last dinner outside at the Lobster House and my wife and I were getting eaten alive by mosquitos ( I feel like they are still biting me now as I write this, lol ) at one point she had over a dozen mosquitos on her leg at the same time. I heard a few other women complaining about mosquitos and we LITERALLY RAN out of the restaurant without touching our lobster dinner it was that bad. We went inside to the French restaurant and had a nice meal there.

Activities: I don't feel like there is a lot to do at the ERC. I felt like Secrets SilverSands there was always something going on to participate in as I am an active guy. The only thing I did there was play beach volleyball once and pool volleyball several times. They have kayaks and some other water activities but they just didn't look like much fun. I watched this one girl try to get up on a surfboard with a sail on it and she kept falling on her face. that is not fun to me. After most of our friends left the resort I got kinda bored. pool volleyball was the only thing to do .

The buffet is closed for dinner. I found this very odd. only AI I have ever stayed at that didn't keep the buffet open for dinner.

The great things about ERC:
The food is excellent here. Loved the Excellence Shrimp and lobster at the lobster house for dinner and the shrimp wrap and fish tacos there for lunch.
The Grill- loved the cobb salad for lunch, the ribs and burgers were good too.
French- my wifes favorite, I liked it a lot too. She had filet mignon both times and said it was excellent. I had the sea bass and loved it both times as well.
Spice- you have to do the hibachi show, great show and the fried rice with shrimp was delicious. You can get chicken or beef as well. we also ate here without the hibachi show and the sushi and dinner was very good as well. it is spicy food, just an FYI
We did not eat at the Italian or Mexican or the pizza place so I cannot comment on those restaurants. we looked at the menu and just didn't see much we liked on them. our friends said the Italian restaurant was very good.
The buffet- breakfast and lunch were very good here. your typical buffet. you can always find something that you like. for breakfast ask for Loius as your waiter. he was our favorite. very nice guy and funny. great waiter. he also works at the Grill restaurant for lunch. request him. every morning they have someone playing live music at the buffet which I felt was a nice touch.
You can also get a USA today paper at the buffet.

Alcohol- they do have top shelf liquor IF you ask for it. you don't, you get the cheap stuff.

11am go down to the beach for the Coco Loco drinks. they make a delicious drink made in a coconut. my favorite drink. don't be late as they are only there for about 20 minutes. they make about 40-50 drinks and that's it. Tell Antonio that Paul from NY said hi. he is the activity director and hands out the coco locos

WiFi- is spotty. sometimes its good and sometimes it sucks. its FREE throughout the resort which is a plus.

Pool floats- there are about 25 for the whole resort, REALLY????? unless your an early riser you aint getting a pool float and your NOT getting a shaded bed. They DO have someone checking ppl that just throw a towel and a book down on a shaded bed. They give you an hour to come back otherwise you can get your stuff at lost and found. Towels you can get from huts they have set up around the pool area. no card needed which is a plus.

Your room- other than the hard beds, the rooms are really nice. didn't spend much time in the room but it was nice.

Mini bar- is replenished daily with water, beer, soda, juice and snacks. there is also rum, tequila, wine and another liquor in your room. I took home the bottle of rum with me and left the other bottles there. if I wanted a drink I went downstairs to a bar.

Turn down service - is done nightly and our room was cleaned every morning. great job by them. please tip them as they do work very hard.

Concierge- I used them twice. ordered extra pillows and mattress topper. both done within a half hour. so the service is very good here.

Food- excellent. probably gets my highest ranking as I am a FOODIE. loved all the seafood, the filet mignon.

Drinks- top shelf IF you ask for it. loved the Pacifico beer more than Corona

Beach- UGGGHHHHH !!! I read the reviews and I knew that the water would have seaweed and sadly that is the case here. I spent 5 minutes in the ocean on the 1 calm day and it was pretty good. they do rake up the seaweed all day but the water smells. I spent 95 % of my time at the pool. The beach is nice to sit at and listen to the waves but do not recommend the water. if you want a great beach and beautiful blue/green water than go to Cancun. they have the nicest beach BAR NONE. went to Live Aqua last year and spent 95% of my time ON THE BEACH.

Pools- lots of pools so if you want quiet and privacy, you can find a spot easily. If you want to be where the action is then you got the pool swim up bar and the pool with water volleyball. whatever floats your boat so to speak you can find your spot to hang out at.

Elevators- are very quick, only waited one time for an elevator.

I recommend a higher room, better chance for a partial ocean view. it was quieter where we were in Room 6329. never heard a sound when we were inside our room. that is a plus with all the marble around that echos noise.

So that is my review. Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you have as I will be happy to answer them for you. I tried to be as accurate and honest about the ERC as possible. Like I said, we had a great time BUT a lot of that was because of being here with 26 other ppl that we knew. we basically had a whole pool area for ourselves. I recommend ERC BUT I do feel as though we have stayed at better hotels. Food is very good here which is important to me. Service is excellent here which is another plus. I feel as though if my wife enjoyed it more I might rank it a little higher BUT the hard beds were a Negative for this resort unless you went excellence club but I didn't think it was worth the $$$ for the upgrade for what you got.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
21  Thank worldtraveller715
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Riviera Cancun with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We got to the hotel a little early so we did have wait until the room was ready. The hotel took our bags so we could walk around the resort and have lunch. We did get into our room 45 minutes prior to the check-in time so that was great. The hotel and the grounds are breath taking!! We had a perfect honeymoon. We did a lot of excursions but there is certainly enough to do at the resort without venturing out. The dress codes for dinner were a little frustrating due the fact that men had to wear pants and it was extremely hot and humid. The staff was so friendly and everyone was so pleasant. Room service was a little on the slow side. If you know in advance that you'll want breakfast the next morning call ahead the night before and schedule a time for delivery then there won't be an issue. We waited over an hour and half for our breakfast one morning and ended up having to leave for an excursion before it got to the room. If you know you want dinner then call ahead that afternoon and again there won't be an issue. Cleaning staff was great. Our room was perfect every day and night! We had a room in the spa area. At first I was a little bummed that we didn't have the pool or beach view but it turned out to be great. For us, this section was relaxing and quiet and had it's own pool/lazy river. It was nice to be able to leave the party goers at the bar and main pool and retreat to quiet when ready for relaxation. The food and beverage at all the restaurants, room service and buffets was AMAZING! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone. It was amazing and we can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: beach view is much more extra and from what I saw didn't appear to better than our spa area room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beth M
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I went here last year and it was amazing. After recently going to the Marina El Cid in Puerto Morales, it paled in comparison to the Excellence. As soon as me and my fiance arrived at the El Cid, we knew we made a mistake not coming back here. This was our best vacation, everything about this place was top of the line.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mazaras22
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Although we have been back from holidays in this stunning place ,for a few months ,we talk all the time about the fantastic holiday we had there.
The most difficult decision every day was ,beach or pool,and which of the 9 different restaurants we would visit that evening
A truly luxurious resort where you are treated as honoured guests from the moment you arrive
We,so wish to visit again, we love you Excellence !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Heth54
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just returned from our second visit to ERC. Although our 4th visit to Cancun, this was the first time we had returned somewhere which goes a long way to confirming the absolute "excellence" of this resort. Rooms,restaurants,bars continue to be "top notch" although we did feel the entertainment in the main theatre could do with a facelift. We spent a lot of time at the beach area and watched the constant efforts of all the staff from beach drinks service, maintenance, setting up of facilities for beach parties....the list goes on.
Our particular thanks go to Luis and Juan in the Martini Bar....quite simply the best barmen in the world. Is there a cocktail they cannot make? I don't think so. Also a special mention for Rosalba, the Martini Bar waitress who looked after us late into the evening on many occasions. If you read this Rosalba....James Bond sends his very best wishes!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank jimdiffley
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was superb. Upon arrival, we had towels to freshen up from the more than friendly staff, then through the automatic doors to be welcomed with a glass of champagne each. Reception was so welcoming and friendly. The hotel itself is only 25 mins from the airport so if you are being transferred from the likes of Thomas Cook, you'll likely be the first stop and all other guests on the coach can be jealous of your beautiful hotel! Everything about our stay - we went August this year ( 2014 ) for our honeymoon - 11 nights. Was our first time staying and we are certainly going back for our anniversary. The bell boys were talkative and helpful. The room was amazing, a swim up junior suite on the ground floor...perfect! Mini bar is restocked daily - all inclusive. Unlike other all inclusives, drinks at the bars were mixed well with quality branded alcohol ( obviously only worth knowing if you tend to indulge ) room service and turn down service were second to none. All the restaurants were fabulous. Favourites being Spice and Toscana ( the Asian and Italian restaurants respectively ) no pressure to tip but the staff are grateful all the same. Night entertainment was good if you wish to attend. Such an amazing hotel, staff and location. On the beach, beautifully decorated and highly recommended. No reflection on the hotel itself but if you intend to go to Chichen Itza I would personally avoid booking through Thomas Cook. Bad experience. We were informed that it would be a 3.5 hour journey which turned into 6. On the other hand we spoke to a couple who booked directly through Excellence and they did in fact have a small group of 15 people and arrive within 2.5 hours ( our group was 50 people ) so if you can book through the hotel!
I cannot recommend this hotel enough, I have read that some people were disappointed about having to wait for a table in restaurants, if you go between 6PM and 7.30PM it's really quiet and although we were given a pager and quoted at having to wait 20 mins it was only ever 10 mins!.
Go and see for yourself, can't express just how good our honeymoon was!
Also, I had a birthday whilst there and they even brought round a birthday cake which was a lovely surprise. My wife knew nothing about this either so they really do take care of you. Room Service, staff everything was Excellent! Going back next year for Anniversary so thank you all at Excellence.

Room Tip: Swim up junior suite is where we stayed and it was superb!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
#8 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!