“Really great vacation at El Cid”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Huntington, New York, United States
“Really great vacation at El Cid”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just got back from a family vacation at El Cid. It was our first time there and we really loved it. My children (3 boys) are 20, 18 and 16; by taking advantage of the activities, they had a wonderful time. The positives are the rooms are beautiful, the place is kept immaculate by the staff that works tirelessly doing so, the pool is beautiful, the beach is beautiful, the gym is nice and overlooks the sea, the activities were well organized, the marina where some activities leave from is on premises and the staff is very pleasant.
The only real negatives was the very aggressive sales pitch for the time share (even after having said no many times) and the restaurant food. The breakfast and lunch buffets were excellent but we were disappointed in the meals we received at the restaurants. The portions were small and there were not enough options to choose from. My 3 boys were always still hungry after dinner. The good news is they could order room service and did so every night.
The activities we enjoyed were the catamaran snorkel tour of the reef, ATV's in the rain forest, snorkel in the sink hole and most of all Discover scuba. We only wish we had not waited until our last day to try scuba diving.
I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Building 17 rooms have a beautiful view but there is Karaoke some nights and is noisy until about 10...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your wonderful review and for your preference.
It was so nice to read that your family spent a nice holiday with us and enjoyed our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your experience on tripadvisor and for all your positive comments:-)
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in a near future and thank you again for your preference and for your great review.
Kind regards and best wishes familia!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,816)
Madison, WI
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family of 4 - two kids (ages 12 and 14) had an absolutely wonderful time.
Things we LOVED: Clean, beautiful and tropical, staff amazingly attentive (knew kids by name); pool (liked that it included a jumping "cliff"), lovely beach; location not on hotel row, bike tour to Puerto Morelos included in activities

Things we LIKED: Platinum Club - sped up check-in/-out, nice place to drop in and ask questions, get a drink, use the phone to contact local dive shop; we are not big drinkers so some of the upscale liquor was lost on us, respectful to the kids, palapa reservation (no early morning towel scouting); Food - great, but not amazing. Ate in Mediterranean restaurant upon arrival - dinner was long, food good (not great), personalized birthday cake was awesome. We opted to eat at the buffets more often for convenience and flexibility;

Thing we were DISAPPOINTED in: There was no snorkel gear there, you had to be 18 to take out the stand up paddle boards and kayaks, the Hobie cat was broken (and you can only go out with the guide), no windsurfing, Sports equipment staff were the only ones at resort who didn't try to be helpful to find activities the kids could do.

Things I would do again:
1. use Cancun Transfers (booked ahead of time) to get ride from airport to hotel and back ($90 total) pd in advance for 4 people, private nice van, on time,
2. Go to Siete Bocas Cenote and snorkeling at reef with WetSet diving in Puerto Morelos (ask for Carlos - he's very fun)
3. Tip staff $1-2 for every drink/meal

We plan to go back again. VERY Pleased Overall. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 528 was awesome - view over top of palapas. One floor up was good too.
3 Thank JHMadison
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El CId Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your excellent review and for your stay with us.
We are so glad that your family enjoyed our facilities and the service from our hotel staff.
Thank you also for sharing your review on this site and for your suggestions that are always welcome and are really useful for us:-)
It will be a pleasure to serve all your family again in another occasion and thank you again for your lovely review and for your stay with us.
Saludos amigos and best wishes!!
Odessa, Texas

Puerto Morelos, MX
May, 2014

Mexico is one of our most favorite places to vacation. We have been multiple times since 2000 and decided to return to celebrate DH's 59th birthday. We haven't stayed in the area of Puerto Morelos, so it was like going to a new destination. Our last two International trips we flew with American Airlines, which was a huge mistake, and I swore I would never fly with them again, and to date I haven't. We can only fly AA or United, so we went with United this time. Much better experience. Actually, DH ended up with his back out and a sciatica attack by the time we left and the United personnel was so helpful getting us through Cancun, Houston and home with a wheelchair in place. Could not have asked for better service. Something AA knows absolutely nothing about.

Marina El Cid Resort & Spa - I was a little weary of booking this hotel based on the number of reviews of how family friendly the resort is. I would have preferred an adults only AI, but the only 2 in the area; Secrets Silversands and Excellence Riviera Maya, were both $1,000 more for the the same time period and I didn't think they were worth that. We also wanted a smaller resort that didn't require so much walking to get to everything, plus El Cid's pool was what we were looking for. It was a good decision. We went Monday - Friday the week before Memorial Day weekend and it was not all that crowded and not very many children on site. So the key is knowing when to go to avoid the masses.

When we checked in, I was asked if we wanted to upgrade to ocean front for an extra $50 per night. I said no. I wasn't interested in ocean front. We wanted to be close to the pool and restaurants so DH didn't have to walk too far. The upgraded services were not anything we were interested in either. We were put in Building 17, Room 1734, which was still ocean front with a side view of part of the pool. Very large room with a king bed, table and 2 chairs and a regular chair with ottoman. Nice balcony overlooking the ocean with 2 chairs and a table. Gorgeous overly large walk in shower. Stocked frig and safe in the closet. Very nice room.

After check-in, we were approached by one of the time share reps. I am used to and very good about discouraging time share people, and by the end of our conversation the poor lady was so flustered she just got up and walked away. I was not rude, but very persistent in continuing to say no until she finally gave up. DH stated she had no idea who she was dealing with. Never heard another word from them for the rest of the trip. I have to say the time share pitches on this side of Mexico are mild compared to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta.

Dining - The food was average to good. We felt it was on par for the resort. We found things we really liked and some we didn't, which is typical. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch and then ate at the Mexican, Italian and Mediterranean ala cart restaurants. This is the first time we liked the buffet over the ala carts. I don't really like resorts that require reservations for the ala cart restaurants, but we didn't have any issues making them in the morning for the night of. We have stayed at some resorts in which we stood in line for an hour or so to get a reservation, which is beyond annoying. Glad it wasn't like that here or I would have just skipped it and eaten at the buffet the entire trip. Service was quite good in all the restaurants and bars. They make a really fab Pina Coloda and Mojito.

We loved the pool and swim-up bar, which is where we spent most of our time. We didn't swim in the ocean at the resort. I read reviews about the seaweed, but we saw just a little in the area by the pool. Walking down towards the Italian restaurant and we didn't see any. Also, didn't see anyone swimming in the ocean our entire trip. We are pool people anyway, so a fab pool is more of a priority for us. My one observation about the pool is why would they tile the bottom of it with slick tile. Trying to walk across was very challenging.

We only saw one show, which was the fire show in the front of the building. It was nice. We liked that the shows didn't start so late. Since DH was having back issues, we really appreciated the bell staff in helping DH get around the resort on their golf carts when needed. Excellent customer service.

Activities- We went to the Crococun Zoo and the town of Puerto Morelos. Very nice small zoo. Would definitely recommend to see. We were the only ones there, so got a private tour of the facility. Afterward took a cab to Puerto Morelos and ate at Pelicanos for lunch. Very good shrimp cerviche. We popped in and out of the little tourist stores and bought a few things and then headed back to the resort.

We went to Ek Balam and Rio Lagartos. I had originally planned to go to Coba, but all the on-line booking agencies that I contacted didn't have enough participants to justify a trip, so will save for next visit. Glad it worked out that way because Coba would have required way more walking than Ek Balam did. We did have some issues with getting a voucher for the trip, which took about an hour to straighten out. We wanted to cancel due to DH's back, but that meant no refund, so he was very good about toughing it out. We have been to Chichen Itza and Tulum, so we were looking forward to Ek Balam. I guess I expected more at Rio Lagartos. The boat ride was fun, but we couldn't get very close to see the flamingos. If you want to take pictures, you need a really good camera with a high powered zoom. My Canon point and shoot with x10 optical zoom was OK, but I had to take like 20 pics just to get a few good ones. After seeing both areas, we went to Valladoid for dinner at 6pm; La Cosona de Valladoid for a buffet meal. This was a full day trip. We left at 7am and returned to the resort at 10pm. We were glad we did the tour, but it was so far away and way too much driving to get there and back. We would not do it again.

We also did the catamaran snorkel trip through El Cid. This was the main reason I wanted to stay in the Puerto Morelos area, so I could snorkel the reef there. Our last trip, we went to the Ka'a Sian Biosphere for snorkeling and it was really great. I have to say that the Ka'a Sian Biosphere snorkeling was better than Puerto Morelos, but the Ka'a Sian Biosphere is really far and a long day to get there and back. We had to board a smaller boat off the catamaran to get to the reefs. When we were done snorkeling, we did some sailing and they provided drinks. It would have been nice if they had provided some snacks also.

Weather - Almost perfect. I would say mid 80's and breezy with overcast. We got a couple burst of rain showers, but they came and went. No problem.

Summery - We really liked the El Cid and glad our choice was a good one. The resort is beautiful and the grounds nicely maintained. Services were very good in all areas. We would recommend to others, but again knowing when to go is the key if you want to avoid hoards of people and children. The food could have been better, but we really haven't found any food on this side of Mexico that is consistently great anyway either in an AI resort or local. If you want fab food, go to Cabo San Lucas. We have grown tired of the 5th Avenue thing in Playa, so we spent this trip just chilling at the resort and doing a few tours.

I took 384 photos including underwater snorkel photos at the reef. They can be found at:

Click "all" at the top to just go right down through all of them without clicking multiple pages.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KVR
Rye, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Before I start the hotel review, I want to warn people of hustlers at the airport. If you are a married couple, you will be approached by people who are in white shirts and tan pants who will claim to be representing your hotel. They are, in fact, timeshare hustlers, who will offer you deals on tours in exchange for a visit to their resort. Walk right past them and out the door to your transportation. After you check in at El Cid, there will be more of the same. They will ask you to get a hotel "orientation" that will turn into a sales pitch for El Cid timeshares. They will offer you about 200 dollars in tour coupons for attending a 90 minute high pressure time share sales pitch. Just be aware.

We agreed with a lot of reviewers on the good things about this hotel, but will mainly discuss more things to be wary of.

The pool was better than we expected, very large and with the fun diving area everyone describes. It is only three feet deep, however, there was only one lifeguard for the whole pool, and he did not seem to be paying attention. Regarding the food, the preparation itself was good not great, but there was tremendous variety, fresh and prepared- that meant that all of our kids, ages 8, 8, and 11 were always happy. We did not get to try the Italian restaurant, but we liked the Mediterranean restaurant the best, and the menu was different the two times we ate there.

The front desk check in staff were a bit surly, but everyone else was upbeat, friendly and accommodating.

As for the WiFi, the hotel charges 60 dollars per week PER DEVICE! They did not inform us of this when we first purchased the WiFi. We hoped to use it to stay in contact among ourselves while at the resort, so we purchased two more WiFi connections. However, the WiFi was very slow, and logs you out every 10 minutes even if you are on the network, so we could not use it to communicate. We spoke to a man named Israel from tech support who did not stay with us long enough to see it log out, and offered no solution for this. He did suggest that we should sit on our balcony, close to the outdoor antennae to improve speed. This did not help much. You can basically slowly download a newspaper but don't expect to do any real work on the internet. Unfortunately, he told us that their WiFi system has recently upgraded, so I do not anticipate the system getting any better.

I love to golf, and would suggest signing up at GolfNow.com and getting a member number and password before you come. The golf is pretty pricey here in the $200 range per round and Golf now had some really good same day or next day deals, The WiFi allowed me to visit the site, but not purchase any of the golf deals via my phone. I kept getting logged out before I could complete the transaction. I was able to use my Ooma VoIP to call them on the 800 number, and you could probably do the same thing with Skype- just make the call standing under one of their antenna! The hotel has a great location for snorkeling, but is not close to any major course and they are about a $30-$40 dollar taxi ride away (each way). Golf now had a deal including transport to a course I really loved - Riviera Cancun- only $65. I also played Playa Paraiso, but thought it was just vanilla and costs a lot more.

Two more things, keep track of your towel and room key cards, as they will try charge you if you loose them.

None of these complaints are by any means deal breakers, just wanted to give you a heads up!

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room in building 18. Ask for a room on the forth or fifth floor to have a part...
2 Thank Niklas S
Lakewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Total relaxation. Beautiful facility. The grounds are keep immaculate by a very efficient staff of workers. Excellent staff. Exceptional food, service, and entertainment. Resort is very family friendly, but there are plenty of adult only areas where you can find quiet and never know there were kids around. The time share people are a little aggressive, but no different than anywhere else. The entertainment was fun and local, but the venue at poolside did not have enough light to really see everything. And sometimes the sound system was not adequate. It's a quiet place away from Cancun itself. Plenty of activities on site and plenty of places to go. The pool is clean and very pretty. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank NJGaGA
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you had a relaxed stay with your friends in our resort.
Thank you also for sharing your experience with us and for recommending our resort on tripadvisor:-)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again in a near future and thank you again for your preference and for your kind comments.
Hasta pronto amigos, regards to all!!
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family and I went to El Cid for the first time ever this year. Once I arrived to the hotel I was defiantly getting good vibes, all the staff were very welcoming and friendly. My favorite part of the hotel were the activity directors. Chris, Myra, Mitch, Gabby, and Chamito made my vacation a blast! They made it more interesting and fun and by the end of my vacation they felt like family to me. Another one of my favorite parts was the beach and pool, it was so relaxing but fun at the same time. The food was amazing and the service was phenomenal. Unfortunately our vacation was book for 5 days and by the when it was time to leave we wished we booked our trip longer. We will defiantly be coming back next year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bianca l
Dear family:
Thank you also for sharing your review on tripadvisor and for recognizing our staff for their nice service and attitude mainly to our activities staff, we will gladly share your review with them:-)
Kind regards familia, see you soon!!
Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I had read a lot of reviews on Marina El Cid before I booked and had some concerns, but out of all the hotels I looked at, I felt it had what we were looking for, we had a lovely holiday. I picked Marina El Cid as it’s a small resort and excellent for children which it was. We loved that it was so close to the airport as my daughter get car sickness.

We were a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children 9 and 12). It was our first time to Mexico and our very first all inclusive. We travel extensively and stay in mainly 4/5 star hotels.
We travelled to the hotel with Canadian Transfers who were excellent and we had no problems with drop offs or pickups at the hotel.

We stayed in a one-bedroomed platinum suite in building 17, it was very spacious, clean and we had 2 bathrooms which was a bonus. The beds were very comfortable as I had requested mattress toppers before our arrival. I don’t think we have ever stayed in a hotel room so close to the ocean; it was lovely to wake up to the sound of the sea.

We checked in immediately, the service was warm and friendly; we were offered a drink and booked all our restaurants straight away (a great advantage of booking platinum). One of my concerns was the hard sell by the time share people, we were offered a tour of the resort (which I believe is code for timeshare) we said a polite no as we had just travelled all the way from Scotland and we never were approached again.

We were shown to our room by Alejandro our butler, he was very attentive during our stay and checked in with us every day to see if we needed anything – he even informed us when he was having a day off. I had read that you never see your butler again after day one, this was not our experience. Thank you Alejandro.

The grounds are very well kept and clean, they work very hard to maintain it from early morning to late at night. The pool is huge and the cliff jump kept my children entertained for hours. The beach is small and very pretty and we could reserve palapas everyday (another great perk of the platinum club). The beach is rocky in parts but if you go to the right hand side by the pier its fine, we took the kayaks and boogies board out – we did take beach shoes which I feel you will need if you want to participate in the water sports. We did not use the kids club but there are lots of activities at the pool and the animation team work really hard. We attended a few of the evening shows at night – the fire show is excellent. We had one spa treatment which was very expensive, I feel if they charged less they would get more customers.

They have 4 restaurants that you need reservations for.
The Italian – this was our favourite. It’s the same menu every night so can get a bit repetitive. The waiters in this restaurant are wonderful and work very hard.
Alcazar (Mediterranean) – this is also very good - they change their menu daily. They have a great starter buffet.
The Marina restaurant was closed during our stay.
Mexican – this was our most disappointing meal - it should be their best!
The buffets were excellent, a great smoothie bar at breakfast, the food was hot and had lots of choices. My children were happiest at the buffet. We like our wine but it was not good so we stuck to beer and cocktails which were great. I though the upgrade to platinum was worth it, the club room was great to visit with lots of computers to use – we did not have to bother with purchasing the internet.

This is an excellent family hotel, very well maintained with very hard working staff. Mr Bustmante the Operations Manager even rang me in the room to check if everything was ok – which was a first. It was really appreciated.

Room Tip: Just email a polite request for any extras you may need or to request a certain building. If feel t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!