“Beautiful, but beware if you are a foody”

Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Overall, this vacation was wonderful. My husband and I went to El Cid for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we received excellent service.

One concern we did have was the security of our bags while we waited to check in. Our suitcases were kept in a side room by the bellman. However, upon asking to retrieve some items out of my bag I realized that the efforts to keep guests' privacy and belongings safe is in danger. The bellmen actually let me enter that room by myself, unattended or unsupervised. Had I other intentions, I could easily go through other guests' bags.

We did attend the sales presentation for the time share but we found that the rep. we worked with was not well-trained since he was so new so we were not really educated by him on the total benefits of buying. They tried to bring in a closer named Charlie but he was a disaster, even insulting the industry I worked in (poor fool had no idea what he was talking about).

On our second night we upgraded to a room in the building 22 (brand new building). This room was clean, bright and conveniently situated near the new infinity pool. It was also extremely convenient to the beach. Service at the pool was also excellent.

We found the service at the spa to be excellent but a bit overpriced compared to the services we buy in south Florida. We did the "Mother Earth" massage but found it was more of just having some clay rubbed on you than a massage. None the less, the hydrotherapy session before the mud massage was lovely. I also received a $103 (US) 25-minute facial that was very nice, but again, overpriced for the value that is provided.

The service at every restaurant was great. We feel that the food was presented well but overall lacked in consistency and taste. For a couple days the oatmeal at breakfast was great and then for a few day it was barely cooked oats sitting in a hot pot of milk. However, we might be a bit spoiled because we are used to eating at some of the best restaurants as well as have worked at them. My only advice would be that if you plan your vacation around eating exquisite foods, an all-inclusive might not be the right option for you.

Although we primarily lounged by the infinity pool everyday, we did spend one morning on a catamaran and snorkeling tour. It was absolutely delightful. Mario was our captain and he did a phenomenal job hosting the tour.

If you choose to go into Puerto Morelos beware that the shopkeepers are very aggressive and will hassle you as you walk by their stores, trying to get you to come in and purchase something. Your best bet is to just stay on the resort, as there is not too much you are missing by not going into town.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the newer buildings. The older buildings are very outdated, even with stained furniture...
3  Thank mdub239
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Couple:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your great review and for your preference.
We are so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your experience with us
Thank you also for sharing your experience on tripadvisor and for your suggestions that are really useful for us:-)
We hope to have the opportunity to serve you both again in a near future and thank you again for your preference and for your great comments.
Esta es su casa amigos, kind regards!!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was the 2nd year we visited El Cid near Puerto Morelos, Mexico. This is a great family vacation spot with entertainment & adventure for all ages and also quiet zones when you want to just chill. It is only 20 minutes from the Cancun airport. If you plan ahead and make reservations through Cancun Shuttle service, a driver is waiting to take you to the resort when your plane arrives for a cheap rate (no messing with a taxi). PROS: all inclusive so NO extra costs except if you buy souvenirs, friendly staff, clean resort, waterslide, jumping rock, water volleyball, water polo, entertainment staff with games for all ages, water exercise, beach volleyball, child care, night entertainment, hot tub, illusion pool, swim-up bar, eat anytime you want, lots of picture areas, free canoeing, free sailboat rides, room service, nice dark, quiet rooms, Puerta Morelos for shopping is within walking distance, and etc. El Cid recently opened three new buildings, an illusion pool, a good Italian restaurant, outside bar & nice purgala. CONS: Positive Photo Studio is expensive but has nice pictures, beds are a little hard, washcloths for your room are a problem to get, main lobby entertainment in the evenings is too loud & not that great so it's difficult to have converstaions.

2  Thank Dawn H

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your nice review and for your second stay with us.
We are so glad that you had a happy holiday with us again and enjoyed our facilities and activities:-)
Thank you also for sharing your experience on this site and for recommending El Cid to others:-)
It will be a pleasure to serve you all again for third occasion in a near future and thank you so much for your preference and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.
Kind regards and best wishes amigos!!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I've been to Mexico 10 times and El Cid Resort is by far the best resort! The food is very good with a large variety, the location is beautiful with a dock where I thought was a great place to take family pictures! But mostly the service and entertainment is amazing!!! I met lots of amazing people which I will never forget which made my 2 week stay here unforgettable. I would highly suggest going to El Cid resort if you're looking for an amazing and unforgettable vacation! My family and I are definitely coming back :)

3  Thank Maya L

Dear friends:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your amazing review and for your preference.
We are so glad to read that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and took nice memories back home:-)
Thank you also for so many good comments and for your compliments to our hotel staff, we will make sure to share your comments with all of them.
We look forward to serve you again real soon and thank you again for your lovely comments and for your stay with us.
Muchas gracias and see you soon amigos!!!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our first vacation in Mexico and the children's first outside of the U.S. . Overall the Resort was outstanding, the service was top notch and there was never any hesitation when we asked for items needed in the room or around the resort. All of the restaurants were good with the Italian was the best by far, we ate there three times during our stay and the service and food was top notch each visit. The view from our room was a little disappointing, this was due to the view being of a pond and the backside of the building by the beach. The employees/entertainers always ensured all guests were included or asked to participate in the activities offered each day. Overall we had a great time and look forward to going back and ejoying the resort again.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, try and reserve your vacation through the resort site itself, we booked our...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RichardBustamante, Manager at Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear family:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your excellent review and for your preference.
We are so glad to know that you and your family had a happy vacation with us and would like to come back to El Cid in another occasion.
Thank you also for sharing your comments with us and for trusting on the accurate reviews of tripadvisor:-)
Thank you again for your preference and for your awesome comments.
Esta es su casa familia, hasta la vista!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked a stay at this hotel through Costco for our Anniversary ,but we're very disappointed by the experience . The day we arrived we were checked in by an unfriendly lady who told us that our room wasn't ready and we will have to come back in 2 hrs ,we left our luggage with the bell hop and took our two 6 and 11 year old kids to eat . We got the rooms after 2 hrs . The first night we were all tired and went to sleep at 930pm ,around 950pm housekeeping opened the door without knocking to ask us if we wanted some water or soft drinks . We were startled at the experience ,I travel half a month for business and have never had any one come open the door without knocking , they have no "Do Not Disturb " signs in the rooms .
Second day we asked them early in the morning if our room could be cleaned ,while we were away to have breakfast and go to the beach , nothing was done when we returned at 5.0pm . We called again and had to go out of room so it could be cleaned .
Third day our daughter got sick and we had to take her to the dr . We had no water in our room ,we called and asked for water , it was again at 830 at night that the housekeeping knocked once opened the door to hand us the water . Not quite the service we expected ! We had planned to eat at the Mexican restaurant but when we walked in it was very very hot , we sat at the table only to get up and leave because we could not tolerate the heat and sweat pouring down our faces .
The fourth day we decided to go back at lunch to try the Mexican restaurant ,hopping it would be cool ,it was better than the precious night , but my wife said she felt very sick right after we got done eating there . She got violently ill upon returning to the room . I went to see if the dr was available ,he was not and the office was closed . At the advice of another Dr she took medicine for her vomiting and diarrhea . I called the front desk and asked for the MOD to report the matter , I was told that the MOD will call me ,he was in a meeting , the call never came !! I went the next day ,our fourth day of stay ,to the front desk and asked for the manager , a middle aged gentleman dressed in a suite said he was the manager , I told him that I had been waiting for a call for over a day from a manager . He claimed he didn't know about the problem .
My wife was still very sick the fifth day,we left the sixth day back to US .
Upon return I e mailed the operations manager Ricardo Bustamante about our experience , first he claimed that no manager knew about our sickness , BUT surprisingly insisted that my wife was ill only one day , which I have no idea where he got from ; my wife was violently ill for two days in the hotel . Third he insisted that we never saw the dr in the hotel ,which we never said we did as he was close at the time my wife became ill . About the food standard he claims that the hotel follows all the HACCP standards , we told him that following the standards is one thing and actually practicing them and implementing them is another .
We were looking to celebrate our Anniversary ,but it became a horrible nightmare for us . A week later my wife is still sick from the hotel food , and getting back to normal slowly .
Please think about the food and pay close attention if you go to any of the buffet restaurant . Better yet look else where !!!!

Room Tip: Rooms by the creek have bad smell , choose different location , better yet DONT go to this hotel and...
7  Thank Nader A A

Dear guests:
On behalf of all the staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your review and for your stay with us.
We sincerely regret if our resort did not exceed your expectations, we will work in your feedback.
As we discussed ,we did not have any more resports of ill guests on those dates, we are certified on food safety by two companies and all our staff take courses regarding HACCP standards and we have audits every month by an outside company specialized on food safety.
You were consulting our hotel doctor for an ear infection of your daughter and not for any other issues.
Thank you again for your stay and for your comments and we are at your service anytime.
Best regards!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

this is not my first review on this sight, some how I lost it,so had to sign up again. how to the review.
I will start with the cons first as there were not that many.
#1 the resort is to far out from cancun so if you want to go to cancun or playa you need to rent a car or fork out $45.00 to $50.00 for a taxi.
#2 I booked with traveloicty , got a junior suite with king bed and pool or ocean view, great, but when we arrived at the resort we found out that all they get is a junior suite.we were put in building #18 we had a view of the pool, first you had to look across the swamp thru the trees and if you were lucky you might see the pool. when I asked why we were given this room we were told that building #18 and 19 were for guests all the others were for people that had bought into the resort.

now for the good stuff. after the mess up with the room, we had one of the greeters at the front find out about the mix up and told us if we went to the 90 min walk thru he could get us a better room and boy did he ever, we ended up with a ground floor walk out at the quite pool right on the beach,he also got us into all the resturants every night. that mans name was alfredo ocampo he made our trip.
Now the resort it was it was unbelievably great. the food was great, we have been at allinclusies for the last 10 yrs and the food here was the best. the staff were over the top, jose in the lobby bar ,man you were the best, victor rodriguez and alan in the Italian rest were great, Abraham our morning server was the best. housekeeping in building #15 were great, the room was clean all the time.
this resort is a great place if you have kids there is so much for them to do.
would I go back, yes.I wish it was some place else besides Puerto morelos. the town realy sucked.

Room Tip: ground floor walkout in building 15 were great.
4  Thank dennis m

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for selecting our resort.
We are so glad to read that you and your wife spent a relaxed holiday with us and that our team served you nice mainly Alfredo, Victor and Alan:-)
Thank you also for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, amigos.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another opportunity and thank you again for sharing your experience, for the selection of our resort and for your compliments to our staff.
Muchas gracias amigos, best regards!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Seasoned traveler and this was our first all-inclusive. We saw a good deal and booked it. We had a very good experience overall, but the property itself has a few cons. The weather, always a factor, was absolutely outstanding while we were there. Our room had a great view of the sea and the pool (swim-up bar area). We saw some good stuff! All the food I had was great, some even excellent. Anytime someone else cooks and offers a bazillion desserts and free drinks (all you have to do is ask) is okay by me. Staff a s friendly as could be. There was one particulalrly surly bartender, but other bartenders could see you coming and remeber your beverage of choice. Our room was kept clean and the resort is well groomed. It's very busy from 11 am until 10 pm then gets quiet. When I say busy, I mean there are alot of people. All ages, all nationalities, all shapes, all sizes, all diffrent colors of pinks and reds!...so everyone just fits right in...esp. with the World Cup going on. That was fun. Great, great place for kids. So...The worst part for us was the bedding. The bed would have been hard even to Fred Flinstone and the pillows were stuffed with some kind of torn up foam. Definitely not up to any standard at all on the matress and pillows. Most uncomfortable. I do not know if this is the case in all the rooms. Fortunately, there is a spa to work out the kinks. If you go to that pesky time-share presentation you will get a free massage or two. That only took about an hour for us and we made a new friend...did not buy!!! The second worse part was the sea. The sand is beautiful, but the water is very churned up at the El Cid area. You could see the clear blue sea out past the jetties they have built, but not in where you would swim. The sand colored water makes it hard to see the bottom which is a bit rocky. As one teeanger was putting it, "ow. owowow, Ouch. Ow...!" as he was quckly turing around and headed for shore. Drama King!The good news is there is a wonderful, big beauriful beach in Puerto Morelos and another big beauriful beach to the south of the El Cid Marina, Both have crystal clear water and gorgeous white sand. Really. Like the beach you picture in your head.The beach south of El Cid is in front of the Now Jade and Grand Residences. They didn't seem to mind us spending so much time there. So go there if you are a beach person and don't mind a 10 minute walk...you will see lots of iguanas and good photo opportunities on the way. The town of Puerto Morelos is lovely. Never have I been anywhere on a Mexican beach that I was not asked to buy things! So, perfect...no vendors whatsover the day we were there. I actually think the town had a hangover from a large festival over the weekend! It was pretty sleepy and laid back and there are things to buy there and they like to haggle. It's pretty inexpensive if you work it, Overall, alot of fun, sun, food and drink. My only major recomendation (other than the beaches and town) is the catamaran and boat cruise out to snorkel the reef. Captain Mario and his crew will entertain and take care of you. The snorkeling was safe and fun. The cruise then will sail you down the coast of Puerto Morelos to see the town and the ocean front properties. It's quite a view! Thanks captain Mario and crew for the lovely chill time.

2  Thank Kim C

Dear couple:
On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort I wish to thank you for your kind review and for your preference.
We are so glad to read that you and your companion had a great vacation in our resort and enjoyed also the tours of our Marina.
Thank you also for your suggestion, we always use the feedback from our guests to improve our services and facilities:-)
it will be a privilege for us to share your review with our staff and to serve you again in a near future.
Thank you again for your review and for your preference.
kind regards amigos!!

Ocean Riviera Paradise
#68 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!