Overall, this vacation was wonderful. My husband and I went to El Cid for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we received excellent service.
One concern we did have was the security of our bags while we waited to check in. Our suitcases were kept in a side room by the bellman. However, upon asking to retrieve some items out of my bag I realized that the efforts to keep guests' privacy and belongings safe is in danger. The bellmen actually let me enter that room by myself, unattended or unsupervised. Had I other intentions, I could easily go through other guests' bags.
We did attend the sales presentation for the time share but we found that the rep. we worked with was not well-trained since he was so new so we were not really educated by him on the total benefits of buying. They tried to bring in a closer named Charlie but he was a disaster, even insulting the industry I worked in (poor fool had no idea what he was talking about).
On our second night we upgraded to a room in the building 22 (brand new building). This room was clean, bright and conveniently situated near the new infinity pool. It was also extremely convenient to the beach. Service at the pool was also excellent.
We found the service at the spa to be excellent but a bit overpriced compared to the services we buy in south Florida. We did the "Mother Earth" massage but found it was more of just having some clay rubbed on you than a massage. None the less, the hydrotherapy session before the mud massage was lovely. I also received a $103 (US) 25-minute facial that was very nice, but again, overpriced for the value that is provided.
The service at every restaurant was great. We feel that the food was presented well but overall lacked in consistency and taste. For a couple days the oatmeal at breakfast was great and then for a few day it was barely cooked oats sitting in a hot pot of milk. However, we might be a bit spoiled because we are used to eating at some of the best restaurants as well as have worked at them. My only advice would be that if you plan your vacation around eating exquisite foods, an all-inclusive might not be the right option for you.
Although we primarily lounged by the infinity pool everyday, we did spend one morning on a catamaran and snorkeling tour. It was absolutely delightful. Mario was our captain and he did a phenomenal job hosting the tour.
If you choose to go into Puerto Morelos beware that the shopkeepers are very aggressive and will hassle you as you walk by their stores, trying to get you to come in and purchase something. Your best bet is to just stay on the resort, as there is not too much you are missing by not going into town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico