Pre Vacation- email to upgrade room to 1 BR prior to leaving, well worth the cost, especially if you have kids. We have 3 kids, and put them in the main room with the Queen murphy, and a roll away bed. Bedroom was just a big as the main room. 1 BR has 2 bathrooms. Well worth the upgrade. Our travel agent said it was $800 to upgrade, but I emailed the resort and it was only $320 to updrade.
Check in- Do not book the VIP breakfast, it is a 2 our minimum high pressure time share. They try to get you to set up a time as soon as you check in and don't tell you that it is a time share sales presentation. They were going to give us $100 off our Xel-ha tour, but I am pretty sure that going to the presentation would have cost us more than the $100 discount.
Kids Club- All 3 of my kids loved it. They asked to go to the kids club everyday, and gave us a break to sit by the pool and relax. You can check them in an out as much as you want. The girls working it wonderful, and my kids really enjoyed going there. It was safe, and they always had a head count of how many kids were in there at a time. Kids cannot check themselves out without an adult signature. So they cannot roam the resort by themselves.
Water- They have a purification system on the resort. So you can drink the water in the restaurants and out by the pool. The rooms and showers do not have purified water. So brush your teeth with bottled water and do not drink the water from the sinks or shower in your room.
We had water at every meal and never got sick. We also had our doctor write us antibiotic prescriptions before we left, just incase we needed them, but we never used them at all. We were playing it safe.
All Inclusive- Meals are all day long in the restaurants. Food was very good. My kids are picky eaters and there was enough variety for them to get what they wanted. Only bad thing was that there was no grill by the pool, to eat out by the pool, you had to get dressed to go to the restaurants to eat all meals. There is a shop at the pool, but VERY expensive. Suntan lotion- $35/bottle, bag of chips $12/bag. So make sure that you take some snacks if you want to much on something during the day, and take plenty of suntan lotion because it is very expensive.
Pictures- They have an onsite photographer that is very expensive. The pictures are good quality, but $15 for 1 and 4 for $48 (expensive). They bring animals to take pictures with everyday. You cannot take your own pictures with the animals (that is how they get you to buy them), but take a zoom lens and sneak far enough away to take your own pictures.
Beach.- There are 2 beaches, the one closest to the marina is full of rocks and you cannot swim in it at all. Must take water shoes. The other beach in the newer section, is clear and not as many rocks for about 50 yards out in the water. We spent most of our beach time on this beach.
Platinum Club- We didn't get it, but from others that did pay for the upgrade, said that it was not worth the extra money.
Wifi- They have wifi, it is spotty at certain places in the resort. The main lobby is the best place to use. it. They charge $1 per minute to use it, or $15/day, or $60 for the week. We bought the $60 package the day we arrived and had it for all 7 days. It was slow and worked 50% of the time in certain locations.
Bug spray- There are several areas that have standing water in the resort, which is breeding ground for mosquitoes. At night, make sure that you use bug spray because you WILL get bit by mosquitoes. They don't leave welts like american mosquitoes, but you will itch for a while.
Main pool area- They had daily activities at the main pool all day long. We spent most of our day there. My kids loved the cliff jumping and water slide.
Go into town (Puerto Morloes)- Would highly recommend going into town. It is a 5 minute cab ride and about $10, The beaches there are crystal clear, and you can haggle for gifts. Very safe to take my kids there.
Overall- I would go back again and we had a wonderful family vacation. The service was great, the resort was clean, people were friendly, food was good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to a luxury paradise of turquoise Caribbean waters, soothing breezes, Mayan cultural sites and beautiful, aromatic flora and fauna. Situated near the charming bohemian fishing village of Puerto Morelos, overlooking the world's second largest coral reef park, this family oriented, all-inclusive beach resort offers a quiet alternative to the larger hotels in Riviera Maya. Enjoy amazing snorkeling, diving, sailing and sport fishing directly from our shores. With a selection of diverse restaurants, fabulous pools, adults-only Jacuzzi, Mayan-oriented spa, complete fitness center, full-service marina and more -- there is everything to do or nothing at all. • Family & Eco friendly Ocean Front Resort • Exclusive large suites • Great All Inclusive & Platinum All Inclusive meal plan options • Four tantalizing restaurants featuring a la carte and delicious buffets • Macondo Ocean Deck Bar with infinity pool • 22,000-square-foot pool • Beautiful landscaping, expansive sandy beach, hammocks. • Convention Center. • Ocean Front El Cocay Spa. • Full-service Marina 120-slip marina • WIFI Internet Access (fee) • Kids Club Center • Fitness center with the latest cardio equipment, free weights and a spinning class area • Pronatours Tour Desk • Half hour from Cancun/Riviera Maya International Airport and 20 minutes from downtown Cancun/Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa And Beach Resort
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Puerto Morelos
- Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya
- El Cid Riviera Maya
- Hotel Marina El Cid Beach
- El Cid Puerto Morelos
- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico