“A good hotel”

Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Kendal, United Kingdom
“A good hotel”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Travelling in Belize, we had to return to Cancun for the return flight to Gatwick. American friends in San Ignacio reccomended this hotel and actually reserved a room for us via the internet. We were a little disappointed with the small room we were initially offered, so Manuel found us a much better one with balcony seating and quiet. We enjoyed everything about the place: its cleanliness, the helpfulness of Manuel and his wife and all the staff. The breakfasts were a good start to the day. The hotel is well placed for the beach and the town, being a short stroll from the square. Johann in his dive shop by the entrance was very informative and arranged a snorkelling trip for us. This was a good experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the front because of noise from a karaoke bar opposite. The noisy rooster next-door j...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at Posada el Moro last year for 2 weeks and decided to stay there again this year. We booked for 2 weeks and were there the last week of January and first week of February.
I posted a review last year and my opinion has not changed this year.
Miguel and his staff are always friendly and very accomodating. The standard of cleanliness from the daily housekeeping staff is WONDERFUL. It was always so fresh and tidy everyday.
The continental breakfast is basic but a good start to the day. You can't beat the location. The rooster although loud...drew a few people onto our floor to take his picture as he is a BEAUTY. The street noise didn't bother me as we were street side...but there is a karaoke bar across the street and a couple nights was a tad bit noisy. (No fault of the hotel) The karaoke bar wasn't ever that busy so I am not sure how long it will last?
I would stay again, and I hope to next year...I love Puerto Morelos!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SaskMokaDog
Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Actually this is a nice location, very very clean with spacious rooms. We are here now. My issues are we have asked for an extra chair for our balcony 4 times. There are only 3 chairs by the pool. Neither is a big deal. BUT....they are moving the restaurant as we speak directly above our room. I asked about moving and am told they are full. Shoulders shrugged and walked away. No options offered. And if the neighboring rooster was purchased, the neighbor bought another. This is really a charming place I have toured several times. We were anxious to stay here. But I would not have spent the extra money for a suite with a balcony with 1 chair and a restaurant over it. Every chair scrape on the roof is heard loudly in our room and that's before the restaurant began relocating. I will keep all posted.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank walkupp00
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Great place with a friendly staff. Beach is not far away and there are fun restaurants and bars in walking distance.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
PomoElmoro, Owner at Hotel el Moro, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear breckbmcq:
Your short sentence says a lot!! Thanks for your comments. We will try to keep the funkiness, the comfort and the friendliness for your next visit.
Cheshire
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in January. It's easily found and is only 20 minutes drive from the airport which is why we stayed here to recover from our flight before beginning a 3 week driving tour of Yucatan. It is a lovely colourful spot with spacious and clean rooms - a relaxed introduction to Mexico. All staff were friendly and the Posada is well positioned for the beach and restaurants around the square. Enjoyed our stay greatly. However we did receive an electric shock from one of the sockets in the room. Tad alarmed to see other reviewers have reported similar electrical experiences!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skier7Cheshire
PomoElmoro, Owner at Hotel el Moro, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear skier7Cheshire:
Thanks for staying with us in Posada El Moro. Sorry to hear that you suffered an electric shock in one of our rooms. We leave in a tropical, humid environment and we are trying our best with electric maintenance. This is the second complain in ten years of service with this kind of problem. Lets make a positive from your experience and be sure that it will not happen again.
Thanks for your comments and hopefully your next experience is better.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The room was clean and the grounds were well kept - that's where the good ends. When I arrived at 4:30 in the afternoon, the lights in the reception area were off and the receptionist greeted me with a "put out" look rather than a smile. She showed me to my room, but I had to go back downstairs to get the internet password. Not a big deal, but why isn't this info in the room or given to someone when they check in? When I asked her for the internet code she curtly told me I owed $30 more dollars for the room. I responded I was aware of my balance, but I was asking for the network password. Later that evening, when I returned with a to go order that did not include eating utensils, I went downstairs to the restaurant for a fork and knife. The staff was closing up when I walked in. I was asked "What do you want?" in a not-so-friendly tone and again, no smile. Now, I can over look the 2 out of 3 light bulbs in my room that did not work, the entire electrical socket that did not work and the crowing rooster that began at 3AM and continued until 11AM (not their fault but still a very big problem), but I cannot ignore inhospitable attitudes from hotel staff. I will never return to this hotel and I will not recommend it to any of my clients...I am a travel consultant for the Riviera Maya.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelinGringa
PomoElmoro, Owner at Hotel el Moro, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear TravelinGringa:
We all sincerely thanks you for the opportunity of being of service to you and deeply regret your experience in Posada El Moro. Our goal in Posada El Moro is to offer the best and nice experience to our clients in their vacations. As you can check in many other reviews from our clients we have a good record fulfilling those promises. We all in the hotel work very hard to accomplish this goal and will continue to improve our actions. Your observations and complains will help us to do so.
Again, I regret your experience and I will be sure that it will not happen to any of our clients and associates again.
On the good news, we bought the roster from our neighbor so there will be no more crowing.
Sincerely
South Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Garden area very nice, quaint appearance. Our room had many negatives but a very comfortable sleep. Light switches schocked us twice, toilet seat would not stay up, no washcloths or cups for drinking water, bed comforter was at least 30 years old. Positive convenient location, pool, comfortable bed, good shower water flow and temperature Air conditioner did not work at all, fan a little tricky to figure out but it worked great. Very loud rooster next door so bring ear plugs. Friendly staff with limited English. Toast and fruit plate was breakfast with juice and coffee

Room Tip: 3 rd floor rooms were cooler, more secluded
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank emandrobert
PomoElmoro, Owner at Hotel el Moro, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear emandrobert:
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to be part of your vacation. We appreciate your comments and observations as well as regret the problems that you had during your staying. Nevertheless, your comments will not be ignored. An electrician has checked current and potential problems in our installations. We have changed the toilet seats, provided cups for water and replaced two air conditioners. The happy rooster has been removed along with his chicks to a better more spacious place (I do not mean heaven).
Thanks again for your observations and I hope that you can visit us another time to check these changes.

Posada El Moro