“Great restaurant”
Review of Big Sur River Inn

Big Sur River Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Big Sur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2007

My wife and I stopped at the Big Sur River Inn in Big Sur for a late lunch and were very pleased with the setting and the meal. The variety of food choices was very nice and the prices are very reasonable. We had the ribs and the 'famous Big Sur River Inn sirloin burger' and they were both excellent. The setting was lovely with several patio levels and a lovely little river and grounds to stroll around on, plus a store with a variety of art and general store merchandise. You can even sit right in the river on many relaxing chairs.

There are newer reviews for Big Sur River Inn

Reviewed 27 September 2007

We booked a room for $155 at this motel thinking that the website was quite wonderful. We expected a more secluded setting but instead what we was a room in a strip motel right on Hwy One with terrible traffic noise. The buildings and room were run down and not very attractive and our only window opened on to the parking lot and Hwy One. We were very disillusioned. I will never return to this motel. I went back to look at the website and realized why I chose this Inn but I feel that the ad was totally misleading.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BSHL
Reviewed 21 August 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel with three friends. We were only there for one night, as we were taking a couple of days to drive up from LA to SF and this just one stop along the way. We knew when we were making the reservation, the place would be very basic and like a motel. And it was just that, which was fine. Definitely not a five-star hotel, but like I said we weren't expecting that. The beds were very comfortable-maybe I was exhausted so I didn't notice, but the beds were actually really comfortable and we had nice down comforters. The bathroom was a small, and actually the shower was TINY, but tolerable. We had enough towels and I was actually pleasantly surprised that even tho the hotel was right off the PCH, it was actually not that noisy at night. It's amazing there are virtually no cars on the road once it gets dark. I was concerned that maybe being so close to the road it would be noisy, but that ended up being a non-issue. One thing was really nice was that in the shower and on the sink, they offered a complimentary shower gel, hand soap, conditioner and shampoo. Of course, hotel-sized small containers of the stuff is expected. I was pleasantly surprised of the products they offered in those containers--they actually had some nice high end au naturel stuff! I know I've seen those products at my local Whole Foods. So it was really nice to have a sweet-smelling grapefruity minty shower gel first thing in the morning. (hey, it's the little things that count, right?). The products were dispensed on a big thing on the wall, so it wasn't packaged in a little set of shampoos etc like normal, but who cares? On a completely different note, I will say, and I have to agree with another posting that I saw, the actual restaurant across the street is overpriced. it's very cozy and homey and lovely with the fire right when you walk in. but for the price of the food and what you got, it was overpriced, the food was just not that great. Despite that, though, my friends and I did get dessert, and dessert was actually pretty incredible so our shoddy dinner was overlooked by the yummy desserts. We got take out breakfast burritos the next day at both the the restaurant and the general store and both were good. I do like the general store-it looks like a place frequented a lot by campers and such. The smoothie I had in the general store was really good. So all in all, a good stay. Bare bones and cheap. Not as rustic shall we say as camping, but pretty close. I'd recommend it to someone who's low maintenance and easy-going. Just as along as you're expecting the bare bones, you'll be fine.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Despite many negative reviews, I went against my better judgment and booked a room here for a romantic getaway weekend with my boyfriend. Since the trip was spur of the moment and it was Easter weekend, most other accommodations in Big Sur were booked out. It should have been a sign to us that this place still had availability. We stayed in one of the motel style rooms on the east side of Highway 1. Maybe the rooms in the main lodge are nicer, but for $150/night, our room was a disaster. The walls were paper thin, the mattress was completely lumpy, the two towels were thin, stained and shredded, the shower was moldy. I will admit that the atmosphere of the dining room in the main lodge is pleasant (although the food classifies as overpriced mediocrity) and the deck as well as the chairs in the river are relaxing places to hang out. If I had paid $50/night, I might be able to give this inn 2 stars. I know that Big Sur in general is overpriced. However, for $150, this place still classifies as highway robbery.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ZenziSF
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Our 'quick' evening meal went as follows....

7:45 arrive
7:50 get seated
7:55 asked what we would like to drink
8:15 asked what we'd like to eat....but where are our drinks? Not even any water had arrived............
8:20 Finally got drinks....still no water
8:25....Water!! Yippee!
8:40...Food arrived, but as predicted they got the order wrong...back it goes..
8:45 correct food arrived.....ONE HOUR after arriving

As the previous writer wrote, the place wasn't even half full and they couldn't cope, it was as if we were not there, there were very few apologies and they seemed to accept that this was the normal level or service. No attempt was made to rectify our disatisfaction, with either free drinks or a heartfelt apology....we shall not be returning, I suggest you stear clear as well...

PS Food was average to poor considering the price, setting was good, liked the furniture in the 'waiting lounge', can't think of anything else nice to say...sorry

1  Thank sjbuck
Reviewed 24 June 2007

In the last three weeks we've stayed at eight hotels around California from the Redwoods in the Nth to Yosemite and Los Angeles in the Sth. We've had great service in rooms that were exactly what you'd expect for the money and more.
Due to heavy bookings in what must be a popular spot we spent almost twice the amount we would normally spend for what has turned out to be a third the quality.
The facilities are sparten and the decor non existent. The room is not somewhere you want to spend any more time in than absolutely necessary. There is a couch that doubles as a sofa bed and for this reason is about three feet off the ground, 1st generation sofa bed I suspect. There are a couple of other chairs in the room but not a picture on the wall and no television, the only concession to in-room entertainment being a clock radio.
Overall facilities are tired and dilapidated. The bathroom is functional but simply basic with decorative towel folding the only highlight.
The only positive feature is a good firm bed, about the only item in the room offering any comfort. While the view from the room is quite beautiful, the room itslef is much less attractive and does not really compensate. This is definitely not somewhere we will be revisting and really somewhere to be avoided.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank melbster
Reviewed 16 June 2007

We stopped at the River Inn on our way through Big Sur and had one of the cheaper rooms across the road from the main site and river. The room was large and newly decorated. Very nice organic products in the bathroom, lovely linen on the beds. The restaurant on site served a delicious meal. I would recommend this motel to anyone............

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Big Sur
Fernwood Resort
Fernwood Resort
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Big Sur River Inn? Share your experiences!